Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 1,677 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on October 2, 2011
A brief video showing the Kindle and Kindle Keyboard operating side by side. This Keyboard was ordered on Sept. 9, 2011, so it is a recent model. In this video you can see the page turns and the difference in the screen refresh (Keyboard redraws every time, new Kindle only 5-6 pages). I'll be returning the Keyboard, so far I'm happy with the new Kindle and won't miss the lack of keyboard or audio port since I didn't use them. I took off one star since unprotected .mobi files aren't working out of the box right now like they did on the Keyboard (file transfers but does not show up). [Update: See comments, this was a minor issue with the Kindle not putting the files in the right folder, easily corrected manually but this should get corrected.]
review image review image review image
1414 comments|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2011
I have been a kindle owner for years and currently own the Kindle with Keyboard. I thought replacing the KwK for the new $79 version would be a no-brainer but after having lived with the $79 model for a few weeks I am returning it. Here's why:

I won't go into all the positives since there are plenty of positive reviews already, but for me the best things about this model was its light weight and price.

The negatives that led me to return it are these:

1) Lack of 3G. I use my kindle for newspapers and so it needs to update every day. And true, most places have internet but I have been in several hotels recently that don't have wireless so it is a pain to have to pull out the laptop and do a manual transfer. Also, when I visit friends or relatives for the weekend, I want to get my newspapers but I don't want to bug them for their wireless password and spend the time setting it up. So the KwK's free 3G was a huge part of the decision.

2) Button placement: I am right-handed and the KwK's square button is located right where my thumb naturally sits. Made for easy reading and navigation. With the $79 model's button located in the middle, I have to stretch my hand and/or turn the kindle at an angle to comfortably change pages. It makes a big difference when reading a newspaper which requires more button pushing than when reading just a book.

3) Page turning buttons: The KwK has flat tabs on either side of the Kindle. Very comfortable to press. I settled in to read last night with the $79 kindle and its page turning buttons (which are more of a "corner" instead of a tab) made my fingers a little sore after a couple hours of reading. Also, they require a little more pressure to press than the KwK which is a little distracting.

4) Keyboard. From a functional perspective, the lack of keyboard didn't bother me at all. I was able to shop and search with the $79's virtual keyboard just fine but the KwK's keyboard does make it a little easier to type in my searches. BUT... the kwk's keyboard adds an extra inch to the length of the kindle so when I lay on my bed with the kindle on my chest, that extra space props up the kindle to the perfect height for easy reading. The $79 model is so small (which is great in its own way) but requires that I sit it on a pillow on my chest to prop it up to the right height for easy reading. LOL- I know it sounds weird but when I settle in to read for a few hours, I like to be comfy! :)

A few non-issues:

I thought the ads would be annoying but they ended up being more interesting than the same old Agatha Cristies on the KwK. I took advantage of a few of them during the couple weeks I owned the $79 model and if I replace my KwK, I'll get the ad version with no hesitation.

I don't use the Kindle for notes or any of the social networking features.

I never used any of the audio features on either model so they played no part in my decision.

I thought storage space would matter but even when I loaded up a few hundred books, they barely took up much space on either model. I don't use it for pdfs or personal docs so that didn't matter either.

Oh - one thing that surprised me was that it seems like the more books you load, the more sluggish the screen refreshes. I saw this on both models. It seemed to help when I put books into collections but when I initially loaded all the books and had 73 pages to flip thru, performance was noticeably sluggish. (PS - I wish we could manage our collections on a computer... it is a pain to slog through screen after screen adding books to collections using the kindle interface.)

Anyway, I love my kindle... even though I have an ipad, I still prefer to read on the kindle. Keep up the great work! :)

Quick update:
I forgot to mention that I did like the lack of flashing during page turns on the $79 kindle but it wasn't enough of a benefit to keep it in place of the KwK. Also, upgrading to version 3.3 seems to have boosted overall kwk speed and fixed the sluggishness I mentioned earlier.
11 comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
I own an iphone, an android phone & iPad2, so I used to read on the ipad2. But for longer session reading, the iPad screen strains my eyes no matter how much I fiddled with the brightness setting. After doing some research, I bought the Nook Simple Touch, the new Kindle, and pre-ordered the Kindle Touch planing to pick one among them. After few days of using the Nook STR & Kindle, my review will mainly be focused on the difference between them that matters the most -to me-, and why I prefer the Kindle to the Nook STR(and possibly other touch based ereaders).

I used the Nook simple touch for few days before the new Kindle has arrived, while it's a nice device, overall I find it not as a thoughtfully designed device in terms of usability for both software/hardware in comparison to Amazon's Kindle. Here are few places I found Kindle to be superior to Nook Simple Touch:

HOME SCREEN
Nook's home screen shows only a single book I'm reading now, B&N recommendations take up the rest of the screen, which is pretty much useless to me. Kindle's home screen shows all the books I'm reading, and I can sort it by various criteria such as most recent read, author, etc...

DICTIONARY LOOKUP
On the Nook STR it's a 2-step process vs 1-step one for the kindle(for full & detailed definition, it's still a 2-step process, but most of the time a quick lookup is sufficient). Although the Nook has a touch screen, it's actually a slower process than using the Kindle's 5-way controller to look things up because I need to press the target word for 2 seconds, then click "look up", in between there are 2 full screen refreshes, with kindle there is no screen refresh.
The Kindle also has a less obtrusive quick definition display either on top or bottom of ~15% of the screen depending on the vertical position of the target word, which allows me to continue reading while looking at the definition. With a quick click of the navigation controller, i can look up another word by placing the on screen cursor in front the word. Since English is not my first language, being able to quickly lookup multiple words on a single page without disrupting my reading flow is a very strong selling point to me, especially while reading novels from someone like Mr.Dickens.

ONE HAND OPERATION
Kindle's button placement enables me to control everything with one hand without any stretching, Nook STR does not. The 5-way controller on the Kindle is surprisingly responsive and quick to navigate. Since Nook STR uses a touch screen, I could only reach less than half of the screen using my thumb comfortably. Any tapping on the opposing side of my hand(word highlight, dictionary lookup, press the "X" to close windows, etc...) requires me to use the other hand or completely reposition my "book hand" to stretch & reach.

PAGE TURNING BUTTONS
Although Nook STR has the dedicated forward/backward buttons, they are too stiff for me to be used repeatedly. I mean it's not so stiff that it tires my hand, but it's stiff enough that I need to make a conscious effort to press it down for every page turn that I found myself only using the touch's screen's swipe gesture to turn pages(which works very well and feels natural btw, though I'm slightly concerned about the screen durability with the repeated swiping at the same spot of the matte finished screen surface for tens of thousands of times...). Kindle's page turning buttons have just the right tactile feedback for me.

CHAPTER NAVIGATION
When I press right/left side of the 5-way controller on the Kindle, it jumps to the next/previous chapter. This might not be useful to everyone, but for someone like me who also listens to audiobook(for gym) of the same book I read, it's great to be able to pickup where I left off reading/listening, which is usually the end of a chapter.

BACK BUTTON
I find the Kindle's back button to be immensely helpful. It works just as one would expect(any android user can understand & appreciate that), it just goes back to where it was or serves as an ESC key. Nook STR does not have such a key or equivalent gesture(or I'm not aware it), and I find myself missing it.

WEIGHT
this is not much of an issue, both of them are very light and comfortable to hold, but the Kindle is noticeably lighter, which doesn't hurt.

PRICE
I paid ~$150 inc. tax for the Nook STR and $86 for the Kindle, Kindle is more than 40% cheaper.

The touch screen qwerty keyboard works very well on the Nook STR though, so is its rubberized case coating. The touch screen keyboard is vastly superior to the Kindle's input method. So for anyone who types alot for notes or search terms, this is a big plus. For me I use it just for reading and I'm not a note taker.

The only thing that keeps me from giving the Kindle a 5 star review is that it lacks the X-Ray feature, which I think it's fantastic!
Unfortunately it's only available on the Kindle Touch for now. I don't see any technical reason why Amazon can't put it on the Kindle, so I really hope Amazon would implement the feature to the non-touch version through a firmware update(if you agree, please call the Amazon support and tell them about it as I've done so already!). Otherwise from what I've seen, I prefer the non-touch Kindle than a touch screen. I guess I'll have to wait & see how much I want the x-ray feature when the Kindle Touch starts shipping.
VINE VOICEon September 29, 2011
I bought the K2 when it came out and then the K3 (now known as the Kindle Keyboard). I was excited to see there was a new device. I knew the difference would be small. I've also ordered a Fire and a Touch. So, that's where I'm coming from with this review. I bought the Basic Kindle with ads just so I could check it out and see if I wanted to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard. The answer is... I don't know. So, I'll talk a little about the differences in this review.

The page refresh and time to turn on/off is much improved. It appears to only do a full "anti-ghosting" (for lack of a better term) refresh every 6 or 7 screens. This is allowing it to put up a new e-ink screen faster. Kinda nifty. This is, by far, my favorite improvement over the previous versions.

The on/off button is slightly different. There's no slide. You push it in. It's a little annoying at first, but I can see that at least it won't get snagged on things in my purse like it does now. Of course, it will probably still get bumped around and turn on. So, this is kind of a draw for me. I must have bigger thumbs than the average person ;)

There's also no hinge. From looking at the photos of the covers coming for the Kindle Touch it looks like it sits in a frame of sorts now, so I'm guessing the contacts on the back is how it will charge from the device if you buy a lighted cover. The cover is a sore spot for me. I like to read in bed. I need a light and I really like having my kindle in a cover. I really want to use this one to see if I like it over my keyboard version, but this will be a tough one. I'll suck it up and get over it, a cover should be out soon-ish, right?

As I mentioned, I bought the ad-supported version. The ads aren't obtrusive, they show up as screen savers and also as a little block at the bottom of the menu. They are NOT in the books at all.

I don't have a library card/overdrive so I wasn't able to test that out. It does have less internal space than the Kindle Keyboard, but that's only a consideration if you're using a lot of books. This kindle also doesn't have speakers or a headset jack (remember, very basic, entry level!) so it doesn't have the need for audio files. I think the space is fine unless you must have more than 1400 books on it for some reason. Obviously, no text-to-speech on this one either.

The virtual keyboard is much easier to use than I anticipated, it's pretty zippy and I was able to type up a note easily and quickly, maybe slightly slower than I can on my keyboard version. The highlighting is slightly different with two other steps put in there from what I'm used to. Most people might not notice this, but I do make notes, so I noticed it right away.

The look is basically the same, same screen resolution. It is a lighter black color around the screen like a shimmery silvery black almost.

Bottom line for me? I'm not sure yet what I will do with this kindle. I LOVE the faster page turns. LOVE. But the lack of a lighted cover right now (not taking off stars for that as I'm assuming that will be remedied pretty quickly). For now, I'll play with both and decide. Then decide again when my Touch gets here in November.

I'll update the review when I do decide, but my gut reaction is that, page turns aside, I'll end up sticking with my keyboard version for a little while longer.

-----

Update: I found the covers. I couldn't find them before, but someone pointed them out. So yay! I'll pre-order one for it (wish they were available now, but at least I'll have a lighted cover!). However, after mulling it over, I think I'm going to pass this one to my daughter. ONLY because I've ordered a Touch though and I don't see the point and setting up this one with all my books and collections, etc just to have to do it again in six weeks. Otherwise, I might make the switch. I think I'll stick with the ads on the Touch as well. I don't mind them and it's a change up from the same old screen savers.
review image review image review image review image
88 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
I bought a new Kindle for my wife. I had read a lot of the reviews before I buying. Quite a few of the reviews compared the new Kindle to an old one with the keyboard, since I have never used the keyboard additon, I can't do that, but I will say that the on screen keyboard was the one thing I do not really care for.
Set up grade three stars (***)- I would have to say if you are setting up a Kindle and don't want to link it to the account you bought it under, do not do it on the device, hook it up to a computer and do it that way. I tried to use the on screen keyboard and it is not that easy to use, plus being unfamiliar with how to navigate made it a bit clunky. I did find connecting to wifi really easy though and had no problems. I have seen a few reviews that have been critical in respect to wifi connection, but I thought it was really easy and solid.
Navigation and use three stars (***) this is probably just me, but it took me awhile to figure out that the page turning keys on the side push down not in, once I figured that out it was alot easier. I think that having the double set of keys on each side of the device (page forward and page back) is not very intuitive I would hit the page forward on the left hand side thinking I was paging back, I think you could just put one key on each side and that would make it much simplier to understand (page forward right, page back left).
Downloading content and Kindle store 5 stars (*****). I found browsing and purchasing content on the Kindle to be very easy and quick. Not alot to say about it other than that.
Reading - 5 stars (*****) My initial (very limited) reading on the Kindle has been quite good. I had it out in full sunlight and was able to read the screen with no problem. I also have read some reviews about the ghosting between refresh cycles, I did not notice this to be that much of a problem, but I have not sat with it and read for a few hours at a time.
Overall I think this is a solid 4 star item, the size is just perfect, my wife can stick it in her purse, its not so wide or heavy that it would be uncomfortable to hold for a long period of time. I do think that some of the navigation could be improved and the on screen keyboard is really clunky to use, so if you intend to take alot of notes I would buy the old keyboard version or wait for the touch and see how people review its keyboard. You really can't beat this Kindle for the price though if you are looking for a basic e-reader.
on January 7, 2012
Read this review if you are having trouble deciding between the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle touch and the kindle 4 (the focus of this review). I'll try to explain why of the three I prefer the Kindle 4 (although it is a close tie with the Kindle Keyboard)

Background: My first kindle was the Kindle 3, now called the Kindle Keyboard. I still own this kindle so I've been able to directly compare things like screen contrast etc between the kindle 3 and the kindle touch and kindle 4.

Thoughts on Kindle 4 vs Kindle Touch vs Kindle Keyboard:

Ergonomics and feel: The size of the kindle 4 is just perfect in my opinion. The Kindle touch is about the same weight as the kindle keyboard but more compact and thicker which makes it awkward to hold and oddly it feels larger than even the kindle keyboard due to this (mostly because of the extra thickness). The kindle 4 is just as thin as the kindle keyboard while being much smaller in the other dimensions. I find it to be the easiest of the 3 to hold: Kindle 4 > Kindle Keyboard > Kindle Touch

e-ink screen: My old Kindle 3 still has the best e-ink screen. The background is lighter and more white instead of (yellow? green?) on the Kindle 4 and kindle touch. It is not a huge difference but in less than ideal lighting situations it is noticeable. For some reason I feel like the Kindle touch was a little worse in terms of contrast but I don't currently have the kindle touch and I suspect the screens of the kindle touch and kindle 4 are about equal. If you are just getting a kindle you will probably get this newer slightly inferior screen no matter which kindle you buy (I think amazon just isn't using exactly the same e-ink screen they used to) but if you are coming from an older kindle 3 this is something to keep in mind: Kindle Keyboard > Kindle 4 = Kindle Touch

Page turning: This is one of the main reasons why I returned by kindle touch. I actually bought that kindle hoping that page turns would be easier but due to the chance of accidentally going forward more than one page with the touch if I pressed too hard it was actually very distracting to the reading experience. I prefer a clear click of a button. The kindle keyboard has very nice page turn buttons even if they are a bit stiff. The kindle 4 page turn buttons are less stiff and take some getting used to but work just fine. The first kindle 4 I got had a wobbly right page forward button that drove me crazy but I just exchanged it and so far the new one seems fine. There is a partial page refresh on the new kindles. It can leave some ghosting which is most apparent under bright light. I've turned the partial page refresh off on the kindle 4 and page turn speeds seem about the same as the Kindle Keyboard. Kindle Keyboard = Kindle 4 > Kindle Touch

Keyboard: The importance of typing will obviously depend on your usage. For me I never really felt I used the keyboard on my kindle 3 so I was happy to give it up. That being said the 5-way controller for typing on the kindle 4 is not fun to use. Making collections and typing in info for registration is downright painful. If you intend to do any more typing than this do NOT get the kindle 4. The kindle touch actually has a very nice on screen keyboard that actually felt better to use than the kindle keyboard. Kindle touch > Kindle Keyboard >>>>Kindle 4

Software: Something that old Kindle users should be aware of is that the kindle touch uses fairly different software than the kindle keyboard and kindle 4 and this isn't just related to touch functions. Ex: highlighting looks different. Its like a gray highlight over the whole word instead of a nice subtle underline. You don't have landscape on the touch but it is present on the kindle keyboard and kindle 4. Same goes for the progress bar at the bottom of the page when you are reading. I don't know why they removed these things from the touch but I was glad to have them back when I got the kindle 4. The only thing the kindle 4 does very differently is you now need a ridiculous number of clicks to highlight a word (seriously it's like 6 clicks). I like highlighting the names of characters in long novels so this bothers me a bit but it isn't too bad. Kindle Keyboard > Kindle 4 > Kindle Touch

Other thoughts: The Kindle 4 for some reason has the power button on the bottom and unlike the touch this power button is not so easy to press. You can also wake the device (at least if you have special offers) by holding down on the 5 way controller button but this also turns on the wireless which I like to keep off. The build quality (with the possible exception of some wobbly page turn buttons) seems much better on both the Kindle 4 and kindle touch than the kindle keyboard (which was very creaky). For me the Kindle Keyboard and the kindle 4 are a tie in most of the areas that matter most when I'm actually reading and the kindle 4 wins because it is so much more comfortable to hold while reading. The kindle touch isn't a bad device either. But if I had to choose one device I wouldn't choose that one personally. Luckily amazon let's you try these for 30 days and returning them couldn't be easier!
on September 29, 2011
I want to clarify that I have this device in hand and used it since release day. I have uploaded images of comparisons between Kindle Keyboard and Kindle 4's page buttons. The other devices I've listed I have owned every one and more.

I have been a rabid ebook reader for a very long time now. I have had an extremely wide assortment of devices for reading my ebooks. Here is a sampling in order of best to worst (in my opinion) of specifically ereaders with epaper:

1. Kindle 3 (with keyboard)
2. Kindle 1
3. Kindle 4 (not touch)
4. Sony PRS-300
5. Nook (Gen 1)
6. Kindle 2
7. Kindle DX (Gen 1)
8. IRiver Story HD

KINDLE 4:
So I'll start out with my opinion on the device you are currently viewing (4th gen non touch) which is currently my 3rd favorite Kindle. I'm going to start with a very very important feature - possibly the most important feature of any ereader - the page turning buttons. Let me just say that the newest kindle has the worst of any reader for page turning buttons I've used to date. If you look at the images of the device you'll notice that its along the edge, almost like they are pushed from the side of the device. They are actually pushed towards the back, you basically grasp with your thumb and kind of squeeze the device (or roll your finger) to turn the page. If you put an image of the 3rd Gen next to a 4th Gen you'll notice that the 3rd gen is about double the width (button wise). If you then put the 3rd next to the 2nd gen, you'll notice the same phenomenon. So basically the 4th gen is about 1/4 the size of the 2nd gen for page turning buttons. It might seem like its no big deal, but let me tell you, when you are reading a book, all you do is turn pages - having to awkwardly squeeze a device along the edge is quite frankly poor engineering. I think the idea behind the design is its cleaner looking by putting the buttons into the border rather than the face (hence also removing the keyboard). Notice how the Kindle Touch is extremely clean lined.

UPDATE 10/05/2011:
I just wanted to re-evaluate the page turning buttons. I will hold to my initial impression that its not the best design ever, however I will not say that after getting acquinted with the device for about a week or so, I've grown used to its operation. One thing I've found to alleviate issue is to actually grip the device at the center of the sides thumb and index fingers, where normally you would accidentally push the buttons holding it this way (with the kindle keyboard/older models) with the kindle 4 you don't accidentally push the buttons. If you use your knuckle and curl back a bit it will do the page turn. I used to use the end of my finger to turn the pages so it took a little getting used to. I'll still stay with my opinion that the Kindle Keyboard has a better design though.

LIKES:
The design is very clean looking, very basic buttons at the bottom and hidden along the sides. One thing I hated about the Kobo readers design was the big blue button for controls. Who wants that in your periphery while you are reading - it just makes it so much harder to get lost in the book. Saying such, this kindle is almost perfect in keeping your eyes glued on your stories.

Metal strip around the case - I believe the darker color band around the edges is some sort of metal casing. Its cold to the touch and I think it makes the device feel more durable and expensive than the previous model. Coming from the Sony PRS300 which is basically entirely enclosed in aluminum, I like feeling metal in my hands (if its light)

NITPICKING:
The power button is on the bottom again, this time its a button not a slider (which is less likely to accidentally turn it off), I can see accidentally turning the device off by resting it on a surface. It really should be along the top of the device. Honestly its probably not really an issue, but it would just have made more sense on the top.

Page turning - Being a tech geek more than you can imagine (I've written a PSP homebrew game ;) I enjoy the speed of page turning when its not doing a full refresh. However, the technology is not perfect - you can see a sort of halo effect from what was previous on the page (just barely) since its not doing a full page refresh (except every 6 or so pages). I would prefer 'advanced' options for specifying 'always full page refresh', 'every X pages'. The iRiver Story HD had this feature I believe. This is absolutely not a deal breaker just mostly a preference.

LIGHT:
One feature of the new Kindle I hope is better than the previous gen is the lighted case. Prior to release of the new version, I was really hoping Gen 4 would have a light built into the crevice of the screen shooting up from the bottom, or popping out from the device rather than having to buy an overpriced case that is now approaching the cost of the device itself! The Kindle 3 case is extremely temperamental in that the contacts lose contact from slight pressure of just the device at an angle in bed. This is due to where the contacts are for the case to make the electric loop, which is along the spine. The new kindle has its square contacts on the back of the unit. One thing to note on the new case is its $10 more than the previous gens case and cutting close to the cost of the device itself. Honestly its $59.99 for the case, $79.99 for the kindle?!? I will update this review when the case arrives which is apparently not released yet, I'm a bit of a sap for buying it at the cost but then again, I bought the Kindle 1 at the original crazy price of $399.

KINDLE 3:
This is my opinion is the best kindle to date. The pearl display is remarkably easier to read than previous epaper readers (it seems like the same display as in the new models although potentially slightly clearer on the kindle 3). The buttons threw me for a loop for a while over my Kindle Gen 1 with its huge buttons, but I got used to it since. The font sizes and choice are much better than older devices. My main gripe with the kindle 3 is the leather lighted case from amazon. The clip is finicky - as in if you put pressure holding the device in bed, the light will turn off on you intermittedly. I am constantly holding it like its a delicate flower.

DEVICE LINEUP:
Next up, I'm going to talk about this new multitude of devices that they have released in this generation. I think they spread themselves out for no apparent reason besides making a really cheap device ($79 SO). For another $20 welcome to the world of keyboards or touchscreens and book reading/mp3 playing! It would have been nice to have the $99 unit have both the touchscreen and buttons to at least add something above and beyond the previous generation. I'm afraid to buy the Kindle Touch because I've always liked not touching my screen and pushing a soft easy to pick button instead, its too bad the buttons are now so narrow as to be uncomfortable to use. If the Touch had both touch and buttons I would have splurged on it with no worries and possibly rated it the best Kindle (using touch rather than buttons). Since I'm a bit of a nutcase when it comes to trying everything on the market in search of the perfect device, I will still pick it up on release or at least play with one in some store.

KINDLE FIRE:
Very smart move releasing the Fire. For one it has a duel core processor I'm guessing this thing will at least match the previous generation of devices that are currently on the market such as the Galaxy Tab's and Transformers etc. Setting the price to $199 is such a great move on their part. Its secretly an android device so its pretty exciting to see `netbook' like pricing from a major player of android tablets. On a side note I will admit I am disappointed that the device is JAT (just another tablet). I was really really really hoping it would have a mirasol display or something like the Pixel Qi display rather than a normal backlit screen. I would have bought a boat load of them! I really thought amazon would stick with their guns with the whole you can read our kindles in the sun!

KINDLE TOUCH:
Coming soon. Only comment I have for it is I'm bummed that it doesn't have both buttons and touch for page turning. When I get my hands on one I'll update my review.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2011
Please note, I have bought every Kindle (except the DX)

Fact: This is not as useful or as pretty as the Kindle Keyboard, which is probably the best Kindle ever made. I was hoping that this one would be just like the previous model, except without the completely unnecessary keyboard.

It isn't.

Pros:
It is SUPER LIGHT. I ordered this before a few weekend trips with my boyfriend and he immediately appropriated it. As in, I turned it on, loaded some books, and he (who had not read any books at all in the previous year) grabbed it and started reading. He liked it because it was so small and light he could put it in his pocket, and he loved holding it.

Cons:
The power button is in a weird spot. This Kindle is so small that you only have a few options on how to hold it, and if you rest it in your hands it is very easy to power off. However, after two days of use, you adjust and don't do it.

Last week I finally convinced BF to trade with me - I gave him my Kindle Keyboard model and took this one.

More Cons:
The ink is just flat out not as dark on this model. The screen is not as pretty as the Keyboard one. I don't play games on it (I have other devices for that), I just read. I find myself straining to see the words because the contrast is not as high. It isn't just the background, it's the background and the ink. The previous model's eink was so darkly saturated that you could read it very very easily, but not so much with this one. I had to play around with some font sizing and spacing which, oddly, helped. After tweaking a bunch of settings it is still not as pretty as the keyboard but it does not bother me. I do not have the 'ghosting' issue other reviewers have experienced, nor do I have fading or bleeding.

Also: the page turning buttons are not as easy to hit. I read fast and I feel like I'm constantly having to really push to get the pages to turn.

The onscreen keyboard is annoying, but I only use that when connecting to a new wireless network which requires a password - something I rarely need to do. I would call that a necessary evil (or not, if you don't mind the larger device, you can get the keyboard model).

should you get this one?

If you have to type a lot, no. If you want speakers/audio, NO. It doesn't have them. My bf doesn't care about that, but my nephew does.
If you don't mind sacrificing some ergonomics and audio to get such a light device, yes.

If you get ghosting, lines, or fadeout on your screen, return it. That isn't right.
If you notice the lighter ink, play with the line spacing on the font options screen and you can probably find one that works for you.

I have the Kindle Keyboard, the Fire, this one, (I gave my K2 away long ago), and I just played with the Kindle Touch I'd ordered for my sister. For plain reading, this one or the Keyboard model are the way to go. I'd give the Touch a pass for now (I'm about to go review that one as well).
on September 28, 2011
I started out with a Sony reader. The contrast was poor, and it burned through its battery in just a few days, but the form factor was perfect for me. Purchased the third gen Kindle and have loved it....but....I never use the keyboard, never listen to music, never surf. And it just has too many buttons that get pressed occasionally. And it developed the corner cracks which have no effect on my reading. I also tried my hand at the Ipad, lousy reading experience. My oldest daughter now has my Ipad. So now I see the new Kindle. Fewer buttons, simpler interface, and light. I ordered it immediately. And now my son has my old Kindle. Win/Win
This is the Kindle for those who just want to read.....and nothing else.
Now we'll see how it stands the test of time.
Nicely done Amazon.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
This is a GREAT Kindle for reading books from cover to cover. But if you want to hop around your book or take any notes on this model Kindle, don't. It is that simple.

Criticism: How can Amazon say this new Kindle has "No Computer Required", but then ship it without a power plug - which requires a COMPUTER to recharge?

And since this Kindle doesn't come with a power plug, so if you don't have a way to charge it via USB (or don't WANT to use your USB to charge it - like maybe you want to travel without your desktop computer), BE SURE TO ALSO ORDER the $10 "optional" power cord.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse