Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle battery life

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2007 7:29:59 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
Customer Service says that the battery should last one week if the wireless is turned off and 2 days if the wireless is kept on. If yours does not last that long, please call Customer Service, 866-321-8851. Mine only lasts a short day, so Amazon said it is defective and they are replacing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 9:15:45 AM PST
Thanks for the tip PMH. Can I ask if that's a day of 'idling' or a day of heavy reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 10:08:00 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
Colin, CS had me keep a written log so they knew the pattern of my Kindle - fully charged for 3 hours, lasted 16 hrs., 12.5 in sleep mode and 3.5 reading. I am able to read for 7 hrs or more by turning it off inbetween reading - that puts it down to about 1/2. Hope this answers your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 10:32:23 AM PST
Yes it does -thanks. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll keep an eye open.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2008 7:15:54 AM PDT
This problem (less than 24 hour battery life with wireless off) was common with software release 1.0. When I finally upgraded to release 1.0.4 the problem went away. You can easily upgrade for free, follow directions on Kindle website.

Tom P

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2008 6:26:14 PM PDT
E. Greaves says:
Has anyone seen it where this problem did not exist when you first got the unit, but after a month or so, it will discharge in a single day with the Wireless off?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 10:31:20 AM PDT
Robert Hedin says:
This has just started happening to me-- ordered my kindle on day 1, received it next day, had no problems (ever). Then in the past week it's only holding a charge for at most 24 hours (and I'm not even sure of that).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 10:43:41 AM PDT
Frank K. says:
I was getting a couple of days like you guys and called CS at Kindle. They said that if I was leaving my Kindle with the screen saver on (I was) this is about right. They said if I flip the power switch to "OFF" when not using it my batt life would double or triple (assuming "normal" usage). I'll give that a try, but that was new/good information for me as I thought I had read somewhere before getting my Kindle that an image on the screen didn't draw power because of the way the "electronic ink" worked. Therefore I was not turning it off via the switch when I stopped reading........

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 11:00:36 AM PDT
Diana says:
So far after a month mine is holding it as it should. I don't notice any dip in the battery life when I leave it on screensaver.

The Kindle batteries are surprisingly cheap compared to batteries for other small electronic devices so I bought a second battery as a "just in case"...I would hate to be somewhere and have my battery conk out!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2008 12:36:15 PM PDT
Cat Gurinsky says:
My Kindle has been draining in a matter of hours when I put it in sleep mode, but is fine if I just do on and off switch. I called CS and they said they are going to send me a new one, that this behavior is not normal. I just got my Kindle on Monday and it first started happening the next day. No wireless usage, it had been fully charged the prior day, I let it be in sleep mode over night, and it never woke up the next day until I charged it... doesn't stop turning on if I'm using the on and off switch... every time I let it sleep for a little while though, no luck.

Looking forward to receiving the replacement eventually so that I won't have this funky glitch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2008 1:13:13 PM PDT
Vicki says:
The screen doesn't use power in sleep mode but it does keep indexing your books in the background.

Posted on May 15, 2011 3:51:37 PM PDT
I am interested in knowing the best way to preserve the batteries.
Some batteries do well being "topped up" often while others do better if they are allowed to almost (or fully) discharge.
Which type is the Kindle battery (I have the newest model purchased May 2011).

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 3:56:57 PM PDT
That's the rub, isn't it. How long the battery lasts depends on how you use the Kindle. My battery on my K3 lasts for approximately three books with WiFi used only to download.

Posted on May 16, 2011 11:53:24 AM PDT
Mary, I was told that I could charge it whenever and didn't have to worry about fully discharging the battery. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to be working fine for me, so I don't worry about trying to use up all the battery before charging it.

Vicki
Not What She Seems $.99
The Overtaking (The Overtaking Series) $2.99

Posted on May 16, 2011 11:56:40 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
Wow - it's amazing how different the battery life is from the beginning of this thread, isn't it? Only a week battery life in 2007!

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 1:26:00 PM PDT
I cannot get my kindle to turn on after having it plugged in for about two hours. Normally it charges withing 45 minutes or so and I have (until now) no problems. Now I don't know what to do to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 1:34:53 PM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
I'd try a restart. Hold the power switch over for at least 30 seconds, and then give it a few minutes to restart.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 5:29:47 PM PDT
I had problems with my battery and CS told me to hold the power button for 20 seconds and it would reset. This worked perfectly. My battery is back to holding its power for at least a week, and I read a lot. I let my kindle go to sleep mode when not reading. I never turn it off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 6:23:31 PM PDT
My issue right now... with wireless off, my kindle was lasting 3 weeks, now I'm down to several days... nothing (that I know of) has changed. I'm going to try the power off and get back to you. Is it weird that my kindle lasted several weeks and now it's not?

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 9:46:50 AM PDT
Joe Biker says:
The Free Games (Poker or BlackJack) from Amazon Digital Services cause my Kindle to die in less than a Day, several days in a row. I finally figured out what the problem was, and got the game out of the state that was draining the battery. I didn't unload the games (although I am very leary of playing them now). I just finished playing a hand, or something (not exactly sure), and got it into a state where it is no longer draining the battery. That is the only thing that changed before and after I had the problem.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 9:49:47 AM PDT
wow old thread OP 2007, then last post 2008 until it was revived.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 11:39:25 AM PDT
Yup, this solved my problem!!! Thanks!!!

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 4:10:18 PM PDT
My battery seems to need to be charged daily. but I am not sure if it is because I have the lighted case and I have been spending a lot of hours working on organizing my books. I seem to have my kindle on night and day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:46:18 PM PDT
this is exactly what was happening to me, too - after having my kindle for 8 months. I will try that reset. thanks!

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 9:49:32 AM PDT
Linda Hansen says:
Thanks! That reset works!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions