$23 for a Kindle book? What happened to $9.99?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2009 6:53:55 AM PDT
Thomas Sowell's economics book: Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy

Hardcover price: $26
Kindle price: $23

What gives, Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2009 7:43:39 AM PDT
JM says:
It's ironic that a book on Economics and the "free market" should somehow be criticized for not being priced at this magical mystical $9.99 that hordes of Kindle users think should be the one price for all Kindle books. If $23 is too much for you, then DON'T BUY IT. As for me, I own two Kindles. I don't want another hardcover book on my bookshelf. So I will gladly pay the $23.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2010 7:59:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2010 8:22:46 AM PST
EXACTLY, Carrie!

...Is this an intelligence test?? Do I believe that the cost of printing and shipping a hardcover... is a mere $3? Have I already forgotten that $9 Kindle price promise?

The all-time classic, for me, is "The Twenty Dollar Christmas," which retailed for something like $12 or $13. I figured that was putting too big a dent in a $20 budget!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2010 9:21:20 PM PDT
R. says:
I don't recall ever seeing a promise from Amazon regarding the price of books.

Regardless, as of this posting the book is $14.99, which is a very good price for an excellent book on economics.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 3:37:36 PM PST
anartam says:
Are we paying for the content or for the costs of printing and shipping?
If it is a mix of content and cost of printing, editing and shipping, so Kindle editions should be cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 7:42:13 AM PST
R. says:
You are paying for the content. As such, you get to decide how you want it. Personally, I would recommend doing what you probably do with most other purchasing decisions, and decide on an ebook by ebook basis. Of course, I tend to also find the prices of paper versions irrelevant, as I prefer the Kindle version. I have not purchased a paper book in months.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Basic Economics:  A Common Sense Guide to the Economy
Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy by Thomas Sowell (Hardcover - April 3, 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (131)