Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Kindle copy MORE expensive than hardback?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2010 6:46:26 AM PST
MsRog says:
How in the world can the Kindle copy cost MORE than the hard copy?! What is Amazon thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 10:28:57 AM PST
I always wait until it comes out on the bookshelves BEFORE I buy it. If you notice the publishing date of the Kellerman book it is the end of April. Once it comes out the price goes down to $9.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 2:31:04 AM PDT
C. Swanson says:
They don't always go down to $9.99 or less, specially now that Amazon has "caved" in to some of the publishers. You'll see a lot more of the new books at a price well above $9.99 at least initially. I hate it, but as long as a book is at still at least a few dollars less than the hard copy I'll consider buying it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 4:25:07 PM PDT
ark76 says:
If it makes you feel better the Amazon Kindle price is $1.49 less than the Barnes & Noble ebook price. At least at the time I'm typing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 6:04:42 PM PDT
I just saw this discussion and took a look at the Kindle price versus the Hardcover price... am I missing something? Now it says 13.50 Kindle price and 15.00 hardcover.....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 7:26:23 PM PDT
MsRog says:
The prices have changed since the original post.

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 7:30:33 PM PDT
Oh good! that prob. means someone at amazon caught it and helped get it fixed :)

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 6:42:13 PM PDT
Lenora says:
13.50 is lower than the harcover price, but still rediculously high. I will wait for the price to come down to 9.99, though.

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 12:20:24 PM PDT
Book buyer says:
Amazons prices are comparable to the B&N Nook. They may be a dollar or two lower then B&N.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 2:01:43 PM PDT
B. Milton says:
Good tip !! Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 2:04:48 PM PDT
B. Milton says:
I have noticed that and am really angry about it. I bought my Kindle with the understanding that most books would be 9.99 or less, and now I find that a couple of my favorite authors books have gone up from what they were before. I am not going to buy matter how much I want it that is more than 9.99. I will wait until it is 10 years old if I have to. What a rip-off.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2010 8:14:37 PM PDT
R. Robertson says:
Don't blame Amazon. Blame Apple. They tried to set up deals with the publishers to give them more money to sell ebooks exclusively to Apple for the iPAD. Amazon had to "cave." It's up to us to boycott McMillan etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2010 4:39:49 AM PDT
love to read says:
I don't claim to know alot of the publishing world, but Mcmillan cannot be the only publisher amazon deals with. I also purchased my kindle with the understanding that most books would be $9.99 or less, now most of my favorite authors don't have there books on kindle format. Also what is the purpose of clicking on link to tell publishers you would like to read on Kindle, some books I have clicked on for months and nothing.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 1:31:09 PM PDT
C. Johnson says:
The very first book I clicked "request on kindle" was available on kindle a week later. I was so excited! I though someone actually listened to me. But alas, that seems to have been a fluke. Since then, I have requested 10-15 books for kindle and none of them are available yet.

From my understanding and amazon promotions, only books on the current NYT bestseller list are guaranteed $9.99. Other books are generally at the discretion of the publisher. In general, by using my kindle I save a lot of money on most books I buy (unfortunately, I don't save money overall, I just buy more books). Those savings make up for the occasional book that is more than a dtb copy. Now that I have a kindle, I don't want to clutter my house with more dtb books. I am willing to pay a couple of dollars more once in awhile for the kindle convenience. I would probably not pay more than $5 more for something I really wanted, though. I would just wait for it to get cheaper.

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 11:16:55 AM PDT
Lynne Hersh says:
Before I got my Kindle I was a dedicated public library user. Since the prices have increased and since some titles are not available on Kindle immediately I have gone back to the library and I now use my Kindle less. This has been my boycott - Bravo, Valentine came out for Kindle a month after it was released in hardcover. By the time the Kindle edition came out I had cleared the wait list from the library and was happily reading the book. No one made money from me; I would have bought the Kindle edition for $9.99 if it had been released with the hardcover.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 8:09:25 AM PDT
mary hughes says:
this has nothing to do with this discussion, but i need help and do not know where to ask. help please. when i got my kindle i understood that when i bought a book i would recieve it in less than one minute. it takes somtimes a full day for me to recieve my book.why???????????????????

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2010 12:21:23 AM PDT
Have never had that problem

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 12:23:24 AM PDT
try going to manage my kindle or resetting you kindle. you should not lose anything

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 8:11:27 AM PDT
Going back to the library with these prices-only a dollar or two from the hardback price. Well at least I can read a book and pass it on to a friend. I will only use kindle for travel now.....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 10:00:39 AM PDT
MsRog says:
I agree, Carol! Plus, it's so odd to me that when a new book comes out the Kimdle edition is MORE EXPENSIVE than the printed. Come on...paper has a cost. Bot to produce and environmentally. How is it even possible that these kindle editions start out more expensive than books with tangible manufacturing costs. Scam. That's how. Scam. I'm with you. I updated my library card, and I joined some book sharing groups. Let's see how they like it when people buy one book, and pass it around to like thirty people.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 10:30:54 AM PST
Agreed. Back to the library and travel with the Kindle. They're killing the goose because the golden eggs were made to be way too expensive! I still love my Kindle, but I'm finding out the beauty of some of the 0.99 Kindle books offered by independent authors.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 4:49:00 AM PDT
Notwithstanding the fact that a hardcopy costs way more to produce - paper, printing, binding, shipping etc - it also damages the environment and should therefore be more expensive than ebooks if we are going to save the planet. I am now just buying really cheap books online and discovering some fun new authors. Sure there are some duds but, hey, I've paid good money for 'recognised' authors and they have been duds too!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:31:01 PM PDT
I totally agree there is no way a printed book should cost more than the ebook. Library here I come.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Deception: An Alex Delaware Novel (Alex Delaware Novels)
Deception: An Alex Delaware Novel (Alex Delaware Novels) by Jonathan Kellerman (Hardcover - March 30, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (188)