Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2011 8:52:00 AM PDT
EB says:
How does Amazon justify charging more for the Kindle version than the hardcover version?

Posted on May 19, 2011 10:09:06 AM PDT
K. DeBolt says:
Looks like the publisher set the price for the book and not Amazon.

Posted on May 19, 2011 11:45:37 AM PDT
GLS says:
Amazon sets the price of the hardcover and paperback editions of the books they sell.

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:36:57 PM PDT
R. Tucker says:
It's all the publishers setting prices and now Amazon has to charge taxes for ebooks. The publisher wants to sell hardbacks and paperbacks because thats where the money is so keeping prices high on ebooks keeps customers from buying ebooks than paper versions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 1:20:46 PM PDT
GLS says:
Amazon buys the hardcovers and paperbacks from the publisher at roughly 50% of the list price. It is then up to Amazon what they want to charge. The publisher does not set these prices--unlike in England or some other countries, where fixed price agreements prevent any discounting. If Amazon wanted to, they could price the hardcovers and paperbacks the same price as the ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 3:25:14 PM PDT
SuitedPair says:
Is that right? They actually make more money on a book they need to actually print and distribute than they do on a e-book? How can that be?

Posted on May 22, 2011 4:17:02 PM PDT
R. Tucker says:
I'm sure an ebook is way cheaper to produce but the paper books is such a big business and prices are controlled. If you think about it, publishers won't make much money if everything is ebook, prices will fall and be too cheap to make profit. With paper version, they make over 20 to 30 a book when it comes out then it goes to paperback for 8. That's a lot of money for publishers and other business's who sell these books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 8:55:15 AM PDT
GLS says:
Publishers sell their printed books to Amazon at 50% of list--so if the book has a list price of $30, the publisher makes $15. They don't make $20-$30. When Amazon sells it to you at 30% off, their profit (minus expenses) is 20%. Ebook terms differ between publishers.

Posted on May 24, 2011 6:18:02 AM PDT
GEH says:
On the chance the publisher reads these threads...

I understand why you would like the price to be higher than $9.99 (or $11.99, or whatever) on the Kindle since you'll make more money but I came here to buy the book this morning and am leaving without purchasing the book. Not in paperback, not in hardcover, and not in my preferred format of the Kindle. If the price drops I will likely buy it otherwise I'll wait for the bargain bin, used copies, or never read it. So we both make choices, but your choice means that I don't give you any of my money.

Posted on May 24, 2011 6:52:22 AM PDT
The only way it will change is if everyone refuses to buy at that price.
I made sure to boycott $12.99 prices, now they have the nerve to up it $14.99.
Just don't buy it.
In almost every other media type there is some type of discount the first week (i.e. Lady Ga Ga), but for some reason, eBooks are excluded.

Just wait, don't buy at dead tree prices, and the prices will drop.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 7:46:48 AM PDT
I don't see the option of buying it on Kindle edition....??? It hasn't been released on Kindle edition, has it??

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 11:33:51 AM PDT
GEH says:
It is showing up as a Kindle product in the United States. I don't know if other regions are locked out or if you are indeed in a different region.

Posted on May 26, 2011 3:02:23 AM PDT
J. Colby says:
The problem is, with the one-button purchase option, i often don't even look at the price of an ebook. but in this instance, i agree with GEH...i'm not going to buy either one. I'll go borrow the tree-killing version from the library, and then they get no money. in fact, i've unfortunately already purchased kindle versions from @HachetteBooks before, but i won't again without looking very closely for sensible pricing.

Posted on May 26, 2011 3:47:27 PM PDT
Hunk Golden says:
Also look at David McCullough's new book. He's great, but $20 for a kindle book? I could see if it were a huge textbook or something, but geez. About all we can do is let them sit there with 'em.

I'm not sure why Amazon, B&N, etc... why they don't do something like discount one top 100-selling (or top 500, or whatever) book every day. Knock 30% (or whatever amount) off the cost of the book for 1 day. They do this often with MP3's. Not sure why it can't work for e-books.

Posted on May 26, 2011 9:06:16 PM PDT
Chuck says:
When Apple entered the eBooks arena was when the price got out of hand because publishers saw a legitimate competition for the Kindle and decided to twist Amazon 's arm by forcing up the price. And clearly they have succeeded, and failed us readers.

I would have GLADLY paid 9.99 for this but now they are not getting a penny from me.

Posted on May 27, 2011 6:57:24 AM PDT
S. Kohl says:
I have done a kind of 180 on this. I initially felt like many other posts, that the Kindle version should absolutely be less. And, no question, I'm happy when it is. However, I usually won't let this change my buying for one reason. I have gotten Kindles for my wife and my kids. Invariably, someone else will want to read the book, and since they're all on the same account, we could all theoretically read the book at the same time. We don't all have the same tastes, but there is enough crossover, that it's very convenient. With a hardcover or paperback, only one person at a time could read it. Add this to the incredible ease of reading on the Kindle, and I'm not going to pass on a book I want to read, especially if I know one of the others linked to the account want to also.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 12:49:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 27, 2011 12:50:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 7:42:04 AM PDT
J. Colby says:
S.Kohl...i hear what you are saying...but at the same time, you could pass on your paperback infinitely...whereas with a digital copy, you are stuck with only those people whom are on the same account...making the purchase both more expensive, and depending on how you use books...less useful. but more profitable for the publisher, obviously. which is good, because i buy books not to support the authors, but to keep publishing companies in business.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 3:21:27 AM PDT
J. Colby says:
so absurd that this book is still so expensive on kindle. I tried to be patient, i want to give SOMETHING to this publisher/authors...but when i can buy it new in hardback for 11.99...i believe i will just opt for buying it used.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 8:36:34 AM PST
Ken P. Copen says:
It's price gouging plain and simple. I understand they are trying to maintain control of a quickly changing market, but to make the price higher on something that you create once and then distribute electronically then something you have to create, print, ship, store and ship again, is insane.

As people mentioned, the only way to get them to reduce prices is to not buy them, as I have since they wen't up from $9.99 (congratulations publishers, i bought LOTS of ebooks at $9.99, a product that you made almost total profit margins, less the distribution fees, and now I buy NONE). As a reader it's frustrating, but as a commenter said so well above, I came here to buy a book, and I left without buying anything.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  May 19, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN by James A. Miller (Hardcover - May 24, 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (193)