Kindle cover with light breaks easily

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 270 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2010 1:10:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 12:24:55 PM PDT
I bought a Kindle Leather cover with a light on Sept 24. One of the hinges broke in December 3 months later. Amazon will not stand behind the product and offer to either fix or send me a new cover.

I later called Amazon about something else and mentioned the problem with my cover. The customer service lady immediately put in for a new cover and sent my via e-mail a prepaid return sticker for my old one. The service was phenomenal. Took less that 2 full days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 7:39:20 PM PST
Pat Bush says:
I got mine about the same time, and used the light maybe 3 times. Tried it last week and it DOES NOT WORK at all. My hinges are fine, though the bottom one slides out from the cover too easily. I'm VERY unhappy to hear that Amazon wouldn't help you. Very disappointing.Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 1:07:48 PM PST
Robyn Cohan says:
I have had mine about 6 meeks and today I noticed that the top hinge has broken off inside of my kindle....the kindle still works as does the light when the two metal pieces make contact. I'm a little nervous I cannot get the metal piece ouf of the Kindle incase I wanted to replace the cover. I have had no problems with the cover until now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 1:49:33 PM PST
My case came with paperwork for a one year warranty. Did you remind Amazon of this?

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 9:44:48 AM PST
There is indeed a printed one-year warranty that comes with the cover.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 1:55:20 PM PDT
T. Liddell says:
Same problem top hinge broken after 3 months. Has anyone had any success in repair or replacement?

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 9:04:43 PM PDT
D. Barfuss says:
Same problem. This light stopped working after a few months. Nothing is loose at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 6:05:07 AM PDT
K. Kelley says:
Me too. Have used the light about 5 times - and last night went to turn it on and it does not work any longer. The bottom hinge is loose on mine too. Disappointed that amazon won't exchange it. I've had mine only 6 months.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 11:30:44 AM PDT
Mine got broken too, after 2 months or so. I tried to fix it using a ver powerfull glue and didnt work, one of the pieces got stuck inside the kindle and I had to remove ir using a thick needle pushing it down, then it came out. Does somebody know, where can I claim for this?

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 1:42:48 PM PDT
Just had the same thing today - the top hinge has cracked off (caused by very minor stress) and is now stuck inside my kindle. The kindle works but the light doesn't. I only logged on to find out how I get my replacement (as covered by 1-year warranty), are people here saying Amazon won't replace the faulty product(s)?

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 11:09:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 11:12:13 PM PDT
marswank says:
The light on my case recently stopped working. It's only about 4 months old and I've never taken my kindle out of it since I bought it. The hinges look fine and my Kindle still fits tightly into it. I called Kindle support and they immediately (seriously, within seconds) issued me a $60 credit for a new on onto my account (I didn't even have my receipt or anything!). I had dropped my kindle just over a week ago and broke it (I'm guessing this is why the light won't work now either) and had called called customer support at that time - they immediately sent me out a new one free of charge. Kindle has the greatest customer service!! If you're having troubles, just call them!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 8:59:18 AM PDT
Robyn Cohan says:
I agree. The hinges of my lighted book cover broke inside of my kindle and I could not remove the broken hinge and within 2 days I received a brand new Kindle and cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2011 8:08:36 PM PDT
mimi r says:
I've had mine less than a month and it already broke. Thanks for the advice... will replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:10:43 AM PDT
Did you find a solution to this problem? I am in same boat and I don't know how to go about fixing it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:41:54 AM PDT
Ricky says:
My bottom hinge broke on mine in less than a week. I called the customer support number and they applied a $60 credit to my account so I could order a new one for free. It was very easy and took less than 10 minutes on the phone with them.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 2:30:59 PM PDT
The bottom tab of my lighted cover is no longer holding the Kindle securely. I just called and they are sending me a new one "overnight". It was very easy and with no hassles at all.

Posted on May 5, 2011 12:23:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2011 12:23:51 PM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2011 12:27:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2011 8:43:54 PM PDT
appcat21 says:
The top tab on my cover broke, with no stress or pressure. I was able to get it out of my Kindle, and based on the posts in this discussion, called Kindle customer support. They told me that the cover only had a 30 day warranty and could not be replaced. I am not happy!

UPDATE: I just got an email from the customer service person that I spoke with and she had done further research after we finished our phone call to check on the warranty. She is sending a replacement. I have to say that I am very surprised and it just proves to me that the compliments I have seen about Amazon customer service are true.

Posted on May 10, 2011 6:50:12 PM PDT
Problem Solved with Velcro re Kindle Lighted Leather Cover failing hinges...

I simply put self adhesive Velcro behind my kindle and cover and left closed for 24 hours. I have bought 6 of them for gifts and have done the same.

Kindle replaced my first cover no questions asked (im in australia) The cover has a 12 month replacement warranty.

Posted on May 12, 2011 10:00:39 AM PDT
Oh no. After reading all these posts...now I am really nervous!
I just got the 3G and ordered the Cover w/light which will be arriving
shortly...I am really hoping that I did not make a mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 4:29:51 PM PDT
No just buy some 1" square velcro self adhesive.... it saved my kindle from moving around which i think brakes the hinges...

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 4:29:53 PM PDT
No just buy some 1" square velcro self adhesive.... it saved my kindle from moving around which i think brakes the hinges...

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 8:15:55 AM PDT
F. Culiner says:
were they able to re-install your downloaded books or did you lose them? that would be a costly problem!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 9:38:49 AM PDT
GM says:
I had the same phenomenol service event. My kindle died in the middle of the night. In a panic I ran to the website and with no hope, called the 'phone' line. A customer rep answered and sent me a new kindle in two days. It was incredible.

Posted on May 15, 2011 9:43:57 AM PDT
GM says:
From all the posts I guess I'll pass on the beautiful orange leather lighted dream case. Sigh. :( The idea about the velcro sounds good. Hmmmm.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  144
Total posts:  270
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2014

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) by Amazon Digital Services Inc.
4.3 out of 5 stars   (4,723)