Customer Discussions > Someday (Sunrise Book 3) forum

Kindle download to a nook?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 266 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 24, 2010 1:38:53 PM PST
Linda says:
I was planning to get a kindle until I discovered that I couldn't buy/read ebooks from my local independent bookstore on it. I can with a Nook. I like to support the local folks first, if I can, so at this point, I'm going with a Nook.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 6:56:38 PM PST
Jeff Brewer says:
Does Nook run on the Android OS? Is there a Kindle app for Android?

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 6:38:24 AM PST
The exclusive nature of the kindle made me buy the nook. I didn't want to be trapped into an 'only' format. I figured they could charge any price they wanted at any time. Not good for my pockets.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 6:42:19 AM PST
BCB says:
I have also downloaded e-books from my local library for the Nook. Good resource and they are free.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 2:20:25 PM PST
Here is a link to the apps for Kindle http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_107430_18058940_pe_01_head/?docId=1000493771#

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 3:06:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2010 3:44:33 PM PST
I have a Nook and really like it and I just bought myself a Kindle 3. There are some books that Amazon carries that Barnes and Noble does not. I was feeling a little guilty wanting both and remembered my husband's collections of rifles, fishing rods and reels, etc. and thought what the heck. This is just my collection of e-readers...

Here are a few differences I have noticed: the Nook is heavier. I didn't notice until I read a book on the Kindle, it feels quite a bit lighter. Amazon doesn't charge sales tax where as B & N does if you have a B & N store in your state (I do, so 8.5% more).
Amazon is often a little less than B & N.
I like the touch screen of the Nook but sometimes while I am reading I must touch the screen by accident and somehow find myself looking at the title page~drat. Now I have to try and remember what page I was on and try to re-find it.

I do like that with the Nook I can buy books from other sites like, Fictionwise.com which often has codes for 30-60% off. I can also read library books but right now mine doesn't have that great of a selection yet. I can also buy from Borders.com.

I'm just getting to know my Kindle, but so far so good. I received a $100 gift card to B & N for Christmas, so will be buying from them even if they are more expensive. For now I'm putting on my Kindle free books or books that I want that B & N doesn't carry.

I read 3 or 4 books a week and usually have to recharge my Nook every few days. I've heard the Kindle lasts up to a month. I'll have to wait and see on that.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 1:33:46 PM PST
I, too, was going to purchase an ebook from Amazon (for my nook) and was wondering if there were compatibility issues. It does seem Amazon is being a little too smug for their own good. Nook and Kindle are so close comparison-wise but I went with Nook because it is compatible with the public library system (now, I also prefer their touch screen)...

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 11:45:58 PM PST
sb says:
I too wish that Amazon eBooks could be read on the Nook. I received the Nook as a gift, but Amazon offers many Kindle versions of books I'm interested in that are not offered through Barnes and Noble. In the past I have had the impression that Amazon was committed to making books available to read, buy not allowing Kindle books to be read by any other device it seems to take away from that first impression.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 2:27:08 PM PST
Joy Briggs says:
I just went to a site for free ebooks and downloaded a pdf full size book to my nook. Hooked it to my pc with the usb and saved it in my documents. Don't know if that was correct but it worked.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 7:55:22 AM PST
to siya.... no, the nook books are actually open formats and can be read on may readers (except Kindle). The Kindle is a proprietary format. I see it as the battle between VHS and Beta many years ago. Beta started strong but tried to arm twist the public and they soon lost their market to the more open format, VHS. Kindle may now be the strongest, but ultimately the open format is going to win this battle and the looser is going to be Amazon. (they are already loosing hundreds of dollars a year just from me alone because I can't buy Kindle books for my nook).

And, the ipad is not really a good option for many people, including me, because of the strain that backlighting puts on their eyes. It is great for many things -- but for most of us we could never sit down for an hour or two, or more, to read a book on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2011 3:24:08 PM PST
Have you tried it yet? Let us know if you did and it worked.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 9:00:33 AM PST
Hi,
I got a Nook for Christmas. I am an avid Amazon fan, truly buy anything and everything from them, including many books in the past. I do have to say I was skeptical on any e-reader, I love holding a book and used book sales were always so fun. However, I have fallen in love with my Nook Color. Actually, I can finally SEE when I'm reading. I'm holding off on "bifocals"! It's getting bad as of late and I need a lot of light to see. The backlighting is amazing! It does not strain my eyes at all. And I've read for a couple hours straight on it already. You can actually adjust the brightness, background color and the color of the words, and THE SIZE of the font! I can see the words finally!!! I can now even read on the treadmill. I made my own little Nook holder out of a wire hanger(works like a charm), and because I can have the words larger and it's backlit, I can see it no problem even if I'm bobbing up and down on the treadmill. Plus, all I have to do it touch the screen to turn the page, not flip actual pages which wouldn't work unless I held an actual paper book in my hand, which is uncomfortable, I have tried it before, when my eyes were more cooperative! Getting lost in a good book makes the time on a treadmill pass fast and feel less painful if you know what I mean.
Another Nook feature I love which may be the same on a Kindle, don't know, but, I like historical novels, and sometimes they'll mention something I have no idea what it means or is, so you press on the word, and whala! you can press a dictionary button and it gives you the definition immediately. Fun little feature. But, truly, the backlighting is incredible, even in bright daylight. I couldn't find a booklight that worked for me anymore to read in bed, now I can! I took it on a road trip and was able to read the entire way home even after it got dark! I wasn't driving of course.... The battery lasts about eight hours on a charge, which is fine for me, plus you can get a car charger, which I got on ebay for less.... It's very comfortable to hold and fits easily into my purse, I got a nice leather cover for it. I don't notice its weight at all, so I would say it's not an issue at all. I hold it with one hand in bed and flip the pages with my thumb on the same hand that is holding it.
I still love Amazon and will still buy my music and whatnot from them, just wish I could still buy their books! But I'm fine if I can't... Who knows, they may change.

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 5:39:23 PM PST
The problem for me as I debate purchasing a reader is I like the Nook Color better than the Kindle, but the Kindle books are much cheaper than B&N's.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2011 6:29:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2011 10:02:15 AM PST
Hi Mr. Photo Dude,
I don't know if this will help you make your decision, but I just compared about ten different books, from cookbooks, kids books and novels, new releases too, and the prices from Barnes and Noble are exactly the same as Amazon, to the penny actually.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 10:10:27 AM PST
I just purchased a Nook and believe that Amazon ought to allow downloads to other formats. Rather than the price war they should just open their market.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 6:12:26 PM PST
S. Rhodes says:
old amazon reader now nook and b and n

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 5:51:26 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
I've been a Amazon customer for well over ten years. I purchased a Nook Color because it offered me features that the Kindle doesn't. Now Amazon is forcing me to shop at Barnes and Noble to purchase my eBooks. Where is the sense of that? As more eBook readers come to the market, Amazon will lose more market share. Please Amazon, don't wait until you lose customers before realizing that it is good business sense to support other eBook formats. I don't want to shop somewhere else for my eBooks! How's that for a loyal customer?!

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:24:35 AM PST
@D. Arnold I agree. I just bought one for my bday and I love the Nook Color. I have the Kindle for PC and have bought several books through Amazon for the Kindle PC. But I cannot read them on my Nook which is very disappointing. I love the Nook because you can read other formats. I will only be buying my ebooks from BnN until Amazon gets their house in order. No more Kindle ebooks for me. Sorry Amazon. Youve lost a valued customer as far as ebooks go.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 9:47:41 AM PST
Meh says:
I got a nook wifi/3G...my husband was debating going with the color and I said, no, too expensive. Heck for what he paid for the b/w I would have given him the extra $50 to get the color. I made the mistake of trying out the nook color at B&N last night and wow! I've an android phone and preferred the Kindle gadget to the Nook for reading, which just made me want an ebook even more. But I went with the Nook because of it's open format and lending system with other Nook readers (niece has one). I've already downloaded books from the library and can't wait when they have a wider selection. Amazon does offer more free books and they are quite pristine. I downloaded a bunch of free classics to my android phone, which included the Age of Innocence. I downloaded the Age of Innocence from Nook (they several versions, some free and some for around 99 cents) and one of them was so awful (mispelled words, etc) that I turned to the public library version that I had downloaded. The kindle version on my phone was also pristine.

At any rate I found myself here because I was wondering, too, if I can convert all those free classics I got from Amazon over to my Nook. I have calibre and I'm going to give it a try. Yesterday when I couldn't figure out how to get my library books into the Nook, I download calibre and it could not convert the DRM protected books. It would send the library books to my Nook, but the Nook was trying to protect the proprietary rights of the books. First, it asked for my name and credit card number to prove I bought them when I tried to open them and then they wouldn't load anymore. I called tech support and they explained that I could sideload the library books directly to Nook with the DRM intact and be allowed to read them with no restrictions. I simply had to side them from the software that my library recommended. My library told me to download software to my desktop called Overdrive Media http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/ and Adobe Digital Editions software (one if for books and the other is for audio). I place the ebooks into my "bookbag" from the library website and then checkout and they download into Adobe Digital Editions, connect my Nook to my computer with a USB cord and the icon shows up in the software. I just drag and drop them to my nook.

Like I said calibre allowed me to send the books to the Nook but something misfired and the Nook wouldn't treat them right. I can image like someone said before, that calibre won't be able to convert (it couldn't convert the library books) and probably won't load Amazon books onto the nook. I'm sure there is a way to root the Nook (or remove DRM from an ebook so it will). But once you do that and you screw something up, you are on your own.

I agree, too, that by closing the market to Nook readers Amazon is losing sales. I would probably buy more books from Amazon than B&N. If I figure out how to do it (and I usually figure this just out), I'll post.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 9:34:20 AM PST
I reently bought a NookColor and here it is two weeks later and I still can't download and read books on it. B&N's method of getting to read the final ebook actuslly on the screen is, at least for me, unbelievably complicated and user unfriendly, especially if you don't live in a WiFi hot spot. I'm 71 and NOT a geek. Nook use is, at least for me, extremely user UNfriendly. I chose NookColor for the color feature. I was avid into photography for most of my life and color is important to me. Aside from it being user unfriendly, another major peeve/disappointment is that at least for the types of books I read (mostly specialized nonfiction), nook has very little or no selection available, while Kindle has many times more avilable than the Nook. It looks like I will also have to buy a Kindle also. Maybe SOME day, there will be some sort of universal eBook format, like Widows is pretty much universal for computers. Kindle also has text-to-speech features which is important for me, because I get tired eyes quickly and suffer from double vision. Amazon needs to come out with a color version Kindle, with a large or expandable memory. That would beave B&N Nook Color in the dust.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 6:26:46 AM PST
Mistersea says:
I have done so as well. Bye, Amazon...

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 7:49:39 AM PDT
E. DeCarlo says:
I just got the Nook, and I like the fact that it has epub which the Kindle does not, but I am very upset that B&N doesn't carry some very obvious books that Amazon has. For example, I wanted to dowload The Master and Margarita to my Nook- and B&N doesn't have it? Are you kidding? Amazon has it available to download, but according to many posts here, one cannot download Amazon onto the Nook. My solution will be to use my ipad to dowload BOTH applications - B&N and Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 7:55:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2011 7:57:37 AM PDT
You realize of course that it may not be B&N's fault that it does not have the book available? The publisher of the book would be the one responsible for making books available in various formats: kindle, epub, html, pdf, etc. If the publisher has not made the book available in formats other than Kindle, than that is not the fault of the sites which sell ebooks -- it is a publisher that has not taken full advantage of the marketing opportunity that other formats provide....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 7:55:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 24, 2011 7:55:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 2:03:33 PM PDT
There are a few books that are not available at BN so I checked with Amazon and they have it. I wish they were compatible with each other. I got the Nook because you can check out library books...with the Kindle you cannot. Guess I will be done with Amazon!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  153
Total posts:  266
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2010
Latest post:  May 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction)
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction) by Karen Kingsbury (Hardcover - February 1, 2008)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (121)