8,599 Reviews
 (5,497)
 (1,593)

10,707 of 10,918 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device - pick your Kindle!
Having been a little overwhelmed by the choices between all the new Kindles and which one to get, I ordered this new basic $79 Kindle first to take for a spin. So far, I like what I see. I also own a Kindle 3 so that's the only device I can really compare it to at this time (I think a comparison between other tablets and this Kindle is meaningless, this device is all...
Published on September 29, 2011 by FreeSpirit

2,007 of 2,144 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Lite (Light?).... Info you should have before you buy...
I received mine this morning... I have a K3 (Kindle Keyboard), and LOVE it! Best feature: fabulous screen. I wear glasses and can read on it for hours. I also enjoy a number of the games available on the K3. I ordered this Kindle owing to the weight, and the fact that I was told that it was the same screen and same clarity as my K3. My intent was to use the new...
Published on September 30, 2011 by BarbZ

‹ Previous | 1617 618 619860 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy 1st-time user, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite) (Electronics)
I put off buying a Kindle for several reasons. First, I've been an avid reader my entire life and love the feel of a book in my hands. Second, I do a lot of reading in bed, often falling asleep while I am reading. I was afraid I would knock it off the bed or roll onto it and damage it. I decided to take the plunge because the price is so good. I had asked for the $79 version with special offers on my Secret Santa list, but I assume my Santa bought the one without offers because I have yet to see one. However, my Kindle account indicates I indeed have one that should display the offers. Maybe I'm lucky?

Besides price, one of the reasons I chose this Kindle is its size. My wife has a Kindle DX (the big one) and while I like the size of the display, I felt it was very heavy, heavier even than many 700+ page paperbacks I read. Also, I liked the small size of the Kindle. Hers is the size of a magazine so it's really not huge, but I can truly slip my Kindle into a jacket pocket and leave the house. While I have accidentally pressed the page forward/back buttons a few times, it hasn't happened enough to annoy me. I can hold the unit many different ways. With my large hands, I can fully cradle the unit in my palm (without pressing the page buttons), but I am also just as comfortable holding onto the sides or bottom.

I spent time in stores trying the different models available (Touch, keyboard, etc.) and felt that for my needs, the cheapo version would suffice. While a keyboard would be nice, typing (and navigating) with the 5-button input is really a breeze. Also, the screen auto-updates as you type, so you rarely have to input more than a few letters before your selection comes up.

Connecting to our router using WiFi was a snap. The unit will also automatically connect in places where free WiFi is available, such as Starbucks. I'm currently keeping WiFi turned on to get a better idea of the minimum battery life. I fully charged the unit Christmas day and have yet to come close to even needing a recharge. I typically use the unit about 1-2 hours each day.

My only nitpicking complaint is the power button. It's in a bit of an awkward position, is small (remember, I have big hands), and has very little tactile feedback. It's hard to tell if it has been fully pressed or if I'm just pressing on the sides of the case. Again, this is a total nitpick and would not influence my decision to purchase this version.

This particular Kindle is perfect for my needs and I am completely satisfied with it. Now, I'm going to go complain to publishers about the ridiculous cost of their e-books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device for reading, January 3, 2012
This unit does exactly what it was designed to do. It quickly downloads books and you can read them on an extremely high resolution screen. Battery life is amazing at 1 month plus and the additional features of being able to place books into categories, rate books, share books on Facebook and social feeds, as well as use the lenders library to borrow books, this device is incredible and I would recommend to anyone. The only issue with the non keyboard edition is typing is fairly difficult so if you plan on using the kindle to write full reviews, you may want to choose the keyboard our fire editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle, January 3, 2012
This was a gift for my mother. She does not play well with electronics. However, she found the functionality of the Kindle quite simple and is enjoying her gift to its fullest.

5.0 out of 5 stars My precious kindle, January 3, 2012
When I lost my 3rd gen kindle (the one with the keyboard) two months back, I was extremely upset. Did not immediately get a new one because there were a lot of tablet options to consider, including the kindle fire. In the end I bought the 4th gen ad supported Kindle for the following reasons -
1. It is extremely light weight and thus best suited for long periods of reading
2. I don't want any interruptions/notifications when I m reading
3. E Ink

Two things I feel could've been done better - the display refresh is still very noticeable and the 5 way controller is a bit too sensitive.

Going for the iPad this spring to support my other interests!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Basic e-Reader, January 3, 2012
To the Design Engineers of the new "Littlest" basic kindle: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You have achieved the perfect form factor with just-right sized metal framing. This new unit also has a very high quality look and feel, with an amazing balance between lightness and rigidity. And, it fits in my back pocket! Until electronic paper comes along, i simply cannot imagine a better sized e-reader.

The new screen refresh technology (compared to my older "Keyboard" kindle) is noticeably faster, without the annoying blank flashes. The page forward and back buttons are much easier for me to use - once i figured out that they pushed down, not in ... And, also like the push power button, with handy tell-tail light emitting diode.

Considered the new Touch kindle, but it is slightly larger and heavier, and can do without the greasy finger prints ("Do Not Touch the Screen!"). Also, the basic kindle appears simpler to use for just reading, especially for those that do not need the text-to-speech, or music while reading.

Again, for this reader: Perfect! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle addiction, January 3, 2012
I absolutely love my Kindle. My husband says I'm addicted. I love how easy it is to use and download new books! I have recommended it to many of my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 6" E Ink Display, January 3, 2012
What joyous hours I am spending reading and selecting books for my Kindle. It is better than imagined. As a retired high school teacher, I really like hard copy books, I like their feel, the smell of paper, and the experience of reading. It is a wondrous age to be alive when we can replace something we thought was great with an electronic substitute that is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle, January 3, 2012
I purchased this item for my daughter and daughter-in-law an they both love them. It was a nice surprise for them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to read, January 3, 2012
I was purchase this item on the basis of the comfort of the read any book at anywere! It's no weight, no bulky and no expensive!. It's perfect and it's enoug to read any book. I find it only a few difficult/awkward to write in it, so I advised -if it's possible for you- to buy the other... I think now I must purchased the Kindle Touch! These must be super comfortable! Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy in D.C., January 3, 2012
Cindy Lu (Oklahoma City) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my daughter that just got out of college for Christmas at her request. She reads the Wall Street Journal and the Economist on the subway going to work in D.C. (not my choice but whatever). She also reads novels as well. She absolutely loves it! She had researched it and decided it was the easiest to use for her purposes. She did not want the upgrade to color (which I do want because I read a lot about art in addition to novels.) She didn't want a wifi charge monthly and knew exactly what she would want to read on it. She read where someone wrote "buy a kindle, change your life" and she agrees with it. It is just so easy and light-weight and she is able to read while commuting. She has got me interested, too, with her enthusiasm.
If she is happy, I am happy.

‹ Previous | 1617 618 619860 | Next ›