Kindle edition is not free if you are a print subscriber?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2009 4:57:31 PM PDT
I would have assumed that the Kindle edition of the NYT is free for print subscribers, like the full web content is, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Am I wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 4:03:36 PM PDT
Arun Baheti says:
You are correct. Same problem with many Kindle publications. I subscribe to print editions of several magazines like New Yorker, Atlantic, NY Times, LA Times (which gets me access normally on the web sites, for the ones where the web sites aren't free), but on Kindle you have to double pay. This is particularly annoying when the web site or PDA versions of the publications are available from my PC or Blackberry for free. One way to view it is that you are paying for the cell network time for delivery, Amazon's revenue for supporting the infrastructue, and the extra features like storage/archive/search (which I don't use).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2009 8:29:49 PM PDT
I suppose that is something of value to pay for... this gets tricky... for me, I am likely to subscribe to both, so the NYT is better off. Doesn't seem right though.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 10:06:57 PM PST
Miguel Lopez says:
At the end of the day, you end up paying twice for the same content which is not right. One should pay once for the content regardless of the support. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 7:28:26 PM PST
M. Sarlin says:
We are still in a transition time between traditional print publications and broad electronic distribution of content. We early adopters pay the freight to move the world forward at faster pace. Bless us all.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 6:19:59 PM PST
I see that the "New York Times" is offering subscriptions to its Electronic Edition, which is accessed on a computer with an internet connection -- and described as "an exact digital replica of The Times", "searchable," "easy to read," "portable, and "convenient". After a free, 7-day trial subscription, the cost of a 7-day a week subscription to the Electronic Edition is $14.99/month. The "Times" page promoting the offer says "No Software to Download". See

https://www.nytimesee.com/offer.php?id=15&MediaCode=Internal&CampaignName=nytimes#trial

That same page further states: "You can read it anytime and anywhere there is an available Internet connection."

Amazon, of course, offers a 7-day a week subscription to the "Times" on the Kindle for $13.99, *but* as many posts here have noted, the Kindle evidently fails to deliver *all* the various sections in the "Times", not to mention the advertising, which some of us find informative. Evidently, the sections not offered by Kindle include, but are not limited to, the Science and Technology sections (as some have ironically observed) and the Crossword Puzzles (daily and Sunday).

The $64 question: Does anyone know whether one can first subscribe to the "Times" Electronic Edition and then successfully *access* that subscribed Electronic Edition on one's Kindle -- by using the internet portion of the Kindle (perhaps by using the Advanced, rather than Basic, mode)?

I ask because my current subscription (7 days a week) to the "dead tree" edition of the "Times" is about to expire, and I was considering subscribing via the Kindle instead -- until I read post after post cataloging the shortcomings of the Kindle's presentation of the "Times". Reading the Electronic Edition of the "Times" on the Kindle *sounds like* it could be the ideal solution -- IF it is technically feasible in the first place.

Thanks in advance for all knowledgeable replies.

Jeffrey Newman

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 5:36:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2010 5:39:56 AM PST
Bohemian says:
I subscribe to print wsj and ft. I like FT more than WSJ. Just like NYT, they consider kindle subscription as seperate revenue stream. As long as people are paying for it, they will not change. Probably, amazon also needs to push kindle as free open standard for ereaders that would avoid/reduce their cut in these subscriptions. Personally, I feel if I subscribe once, I should be able to read content on any device - ipad, kindle, pc, cell phone etc. Also, epub is an open standard that kindle should support so that content providers can provide content in open source formats.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 4:11:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2010 4:19:34 PM PST
Amazon is way behind the competition. The iPad allows you to download the content of the NYTimes and the WSJ as long as you are subscribing to the online versions; no double-charging for the same information. I get the Sunday print edition of the Times delivered at home; this qualifies me for the online version every day for no additional charge, so I could never see paying for the Kindle subscription.

Posted on May 12, 2011 4:13:50 PM PDT
Derek says:
I get the NYT delivered as well. A gratis NYT kindle subscription would be great. I may just have to look into getting an iPad...

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 1:25:27 PM PDT
Most of the revenue for the Kindle edition goes to Amazon, not the New York Times so paying twice doesn't help the entity that really needs it (the Times) and goes to the one that does (Amazon).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 5:47:21 AM PDT
John Hartman says:
I too am a print subscriber, paying over $50 a month for the service. I was shocked when I learned I would have to pay extra to Amazon to read the paper on Kindle. If you use Nook and iPad and have a weekly or monthly NYT subscription it costs you nothing extra for the electronic version.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 11:00:15 PM PDT
LizS says:
The NYT's website says it's free but I can't get the accounts to link...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 9:45:09 AM PDT
After lots of looking, I finally found on the NYT website language referring to print subscriptions and e-readers. Here's where the info is:
http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/account/purchases/subscriptions-and-purchases.html#digital-sub-family-plan
Here are two bits of info:
"Digital subscription benefits for print subscribers also include the Replica Edition. Please note that e-reader editions (Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo Reader) are not free to print subscribers."
AND
"*Note: NYTimes apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes digital subscriptions do not include e-reader editions (e.g., Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo Reader), Premium Crosswords or The New York Times Crosswords apps. Additional restrictions apply."

*sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 8:45:13 AM PDT
You CAN definitely access nytimes.com including everything you get as a digital subscriber using the Kindle's built in web browser.

The only catch is that the web browser sucks. It's not as enjoyable.

Theoretically, maybe you could use a service like Instapaper (or your own software) to send yourself Kindle-format copies of nytimes.com articles, but unless it was automated that would be a hassle.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 5:26:14 PM PST
K. Hudson says:
I pay for a digital NYT subscription and I feel that I should be able to download a app for my Kindle fire allowing me to access the website easily and for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 9:35:53 AM PST
Andrew says:
Until Kindle loses the dominate market share, I wouldn't count on that. Supporting an open source e-pub format would allow Kindle owners to search for a book on various online sellers and move the e-pub file to their kindle with no problems. Amazon.com would still be the default first choice, but since you can send any file to the Kindle by simply emailing it to your account, nearly instant comparison shopping would be really easy. Amazon wants to lock Kindle users into the Amazon.com platform for as long as they can. And right now that means resisting e-pub.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 6:02:55 AM PST
ePub vs Kindle native formats is probably moot until the publishers lose pricing control. Current model, where they price fix, at least for books, the formats are going to make zero difference. Don't get wrong, I'd prefer ePub, it's smaller and thus downloads quicker, takes less space. To me, the core problem here is that Amazon and the NYtimes need to work out a little better version of the newspaper model so that (1) a Kindle subscription can be delivered to more than one place (i.e. the family model, where we can all read multiple sections of the paper, don't have to buy multiple papers), and (2) the NYtimes delivers FULL content (not some subset that's ill-defined).

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 2:02:27 AM PST
As an observation. It seems the main point of conflict is the Kindle edition of the times is not free, like the other digital format ones are if you get the print edition. If you get the Kindle edition, then you get digitial edition rights too, so in that sense NYTimes go that bit right. But people are used to paying no times or at least only once for the content. Thus the dilemma. Still, Amazon, particularly for the 3G version, has some costs for distribution, and if I bought two print copies, I would kind of expect to pay twice, so I guess to me the models sort of add up. Because of the partnership between Barnes and Noble and NYTImes on the free nook (that's probably killing more Kindle sales in NY than anything else, and will do it long term, since they potentially lose every NYTimes subscriber, which is huge), I don't imagine that Amazon is in any hurry to sort it out. But I suppose NYTimes could publish a Kindle format version and allow it to be downloaded to Print or Digital subscribers. You'd have to have a new internet connection, or e-mail it to the Kindle (which incurs some costs), but it would be doable. Since this would be mostly conventional download model, then the content could be the full edition, maybe even offer a variant with advertisements for people that wanted those.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 11:36:12 AM PST
dylan555 says:
As a 7 day a week print subscriber, I really don't understand why I wouldn't get the kindle version for free. Considering I get the digital version for free with my subscription, why not the kindle version too? If I got it for free, it might have pushed me over the edge in getting a kindle. Why on Earth would I ever pay twice for the same thing? Especially when kindle subscribers get the digital version for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 11:39:15 AM PST
John Hartman says:
I agree 100%. I pay in excess of $50 a week for home delivery. When I'm away from home I'd appreciate being able to read the NYT on my Kindle, but somewhere along the way either Amazon or the NYT or probably both got greedy. They expect us to pay twice for the same service. Like I said, it smells of corporate greed.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:07:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 5:08:01 PM PDT
Judy says:
The one advantage to the paid kindle subscription is that I can read it when I am without WiFi

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:28:17 PM PDT
Alice Turner says:
I am so disappointed. The main reason I wanted to buy the Fire was to read the NY Times. I already get free internet acesss to the complete NY Times because I subscribe to the Sunday Times. Now why in the world would I want to pay an additional $20/mo to read a partial version of the paper?

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:55:54 AM PDT
Andrew Ball says:
I have been looking for the "free" subscription to the NY Times on an E ink reader. As a print subscriber I agree that it is not fair but the reality is it just does not exist. I mostly want the Times for the beach in the summer and do not want to take a $500 ipad with me to to the sun and sand. Not to mention the glare factor.

I need a reader as I am in Spain for the summer.

I think the solution for me is get the cheaper $79 Kindle and pay the $20 a month for the few months I read the Times at the beach. I don't read books but love to read the Times.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 5:37:06 PM PDT
Jane Collins says:
This really means the kindle fire does not work as a reading device. I get the paper editions of the New York Times and the New Yorker.
On the ipad, the iphone, and my samsung tablet, I get the electronic versions of both publications free. On the kindle fire it was possible to sideload the free times app, but it was tricky, so I replaced it.

So the kindle devices are useless for reading periodicals if you are a paper subscriber.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:24:07 PM PST
Greg H. says:
This is horribly disappointing. I am a NYT home delivery subscriber, which also includes "all digital access." For whatever reason, as dissucssed above, this indeed does not include the kindle version. Even more bewildering is that kindle subscribers get all digital access, but all digital access subscribers don't get kindle access! Fix please.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2009
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle by The New York Times Company
3.4 out of 5 stars   (813)