Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > On Writing forum

Why is the Kindle edition more than paperback?!?!?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2011 5:14:36 PM PDT
Now that I've made the switch to the Kindle, I just refuse to buy hard copy books. It's a waste of paper and waste of storage space around the home.

Occasionally, I'll run into a title where the kindle book is priced higher than the softcover edition. If it's a dollar or so difference, I'll buy it. More than that and I'm probably going to take a pass.

In this case, we are talking a $3 premium over the standard softcover and almost double the price of the Mass Market Edition paperback? I also can't sell a used Kindle book the way I can a paperback.

Cost on kindle editions are lower, no materials cost, printing cost, storage cost and shipping cost. Profit margins are already higher, even if the Kindle edition is priced the same as the softcover.

I love Stephen King and would love to purchase this book, but I just can't do it. When the publisher stops being greedy and sets a reasonable price, sure. Of course, I may never stumble back around to this title and in the mean time, another author and publisher will be getting my cash.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 2:31:08 PM PDT
Smonk by Tom Franklin $5.58 paper, $9.99 Kindle. That is a joke.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 10:18:26 PM PDT
Joy says:
This is ridiculous! I bought a 1st edition copy at at a yard sale last year for 50 cents and the Kindle version is $12.99? Wow. Note that the publisher set the Kindle price & not Amazon or King. Wonder just how much of that an average selling author would see?

This is a new trend I'm starting to see with the big publishing houses. These crazy prices are doing nothing but harm to their authors. In the instance of fiction, I would definitely take a chance on a new author with a lower Kindle price, especially after some of the dreck that I've read from the "bestsellers".

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 4:24:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 4:31:02 AM PDT
I agree with those who complain about the Kindle price for this book being set higher than the paperback. With the current state of this dismal economy, readers are sensitive to being gouged by greedy publishing houses. The publishers must have their own reasons for this marketing strategy, but I imagine if the price was more reasonable they would make more money in the long run since the ebook is pure profit with no materials cost. Get a grip, publishers. The reading public is far from stupid and this gouge-'em-til-they-squeal strategy could come back to bite you in the butt. I wanted the ebook but I'll buy a second-hand copy of the paperback if I buy it at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 6:36:15 PM PST
Because printing, shipping, and storage are a small fraction of a book's production costs. What takes up the lion's share of the costs is editorial, promotional, and legal, and none of that is any cheaper for e-books (in fact, it's more expensive, because you now have an extra layer of editorial converting print to e-book).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 5:33:01 AM PST
Kim, presumably the lowest priced edition is still making some profit when you factor in everything you have cited. The per copy production cost of an EBook has to be much lower than even a mass market paperback, but let's just agree that it's the cheapest method of producing a copy of a book, rather than quibble over exactly how much the cost savings actually is.

We still come back to the point of frustration. Why would the kindle version of a book be priced much higher than the soft cover print versions of the same book? It makes no sense from a cost perspective and from a marketing perspective. EBook readers have mostly gotten over the fact that publisher greed has done away with the idea that Ebooks will be priced lower than soft cover. However, expecting consumers to pay a hefty premium on Ebooks vs. soft cover pricing is seems a pretty good way to kill ebook sales of a particular title.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 7:11:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 7:28:50 PM PST
AA says:
I agree 100%.

I am more than willing to pay 10 bucks for a kindle edition, and have many times. Today I went to buy "Libra" by Don Delillo and they are asking 13 bucks for the kindle edition and 10.88 for the paperback. This is ridiculous. My response will be to buy a used copy from a private seller for 3 bucks. So the publisher gets nothing on that sale. I certainly would have paid 9.99 for a kindle copy. Greed didn't work out for you that time, Penguin Publishing

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 7:50:09 AM PST
On Writing Some writer trying to get rich, OR YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR? I say the Latter....I enjoyed the adventure, the tips. the straight talk..........and I am still reading it, but STEVEN motivated me to stop reading and start writing, HYPNOTIC. But that's just me. IT was worth ten bucks. Leon

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 7:28:14 PM PDT
I am willing to pay a fair price for an ebook. Amazon gouges me, I look for better deals elsewhere. Check out ebook55 on Bonanza. Great prices on the few books they have. So thanks, I guess, for gouging your prices and sending me elsewhere.

Posted on Jun 20, 2016 6:09:43 AM PDT
Kacmor says:
I live on very limited income. At the same time I'm a voracious reader. Reading is my pastime pleasure, my information source, my fun. When I was gifted with Kindle, at first I was dizzy with happiness. Then I discovered the pricing. Are they for real? Although those nice speeches about paper saving and such sound good, but the issues aren't really comparable. Physical book goes everywhere, every time. You can jump between titles and entries, you can write a paper in some topic staring at one sentence in one books, another in another book and compiling your own work. You can read the same book in two languages, when you want to become fluent in another language, you can... The list go on. Try all those with Kindle. Good luck. Plus, once you acquire a lot of titles, the gadget becomes very, very sluggish. Not to mention, you need the internet. And of course an electronic reader. All those reasons are enough not to be forced into paying more for an electronic copy of a book.
E-books are cute, convenient, fun and all that, but it will take a lot of work to make them equal to the printed word. Until then, I'll buy second hand printed version of Mr. King's book, or borrow it from my library, but I won't pay crazy money for an electronic version. If we stick to the not overpaying rule, the publishers WILL get the message.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  On Writing forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  May 30, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft
On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft by Stephen King (Hardcover - 2000)
4.7 out of 5 stars (2,547)