Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Kindle Fire instead of LeapPad for 5 1/2 year old? LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer Learning Tablet (Pink)

I'm in the market for a tablet for my 5 1/2 year old and 2 year old-both of whom are whizzes with my iPad 2. I'm looking at the Kindle Fire and the almost endless apps/books/movies/songs, rechargeable battery and price of only $199. It sure seems like a much better value than the LeapPad. Has anyone purchased the Kindle Fire for use by a child? How does it compare to an iPad 2? Thanks!
[UPDATED] asked by Sunny Az on November 13, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 answers
A
My wife and I are very happy with the K Fire. I installed 2 educational children apps "Kids Math" and "Kids Match'em", a calculator and Mapquest; they all work excellent. There are thousands of android apps, all Dr. Seuss animated books and of course e-books. This device offers the educational piece, the entertainment, netflix, youtube, pandora, silk browser, etc. and of course amazon. My wife got one of the roocase covers which would give plenty of protection to the device in case of a drop. I would recommend this device to a kid 5 or 6 and older; perhaps younger children with supervision. The WiFi connection can be easily disconnected so that younger children don't access internet or buy apps accidentally.

When you consider the price of the Leapfrogs cartridges and apps (2 cartridges, 2 e-books and 2 sets of rechargeable batteries) you are at the price of the K Fire. The Fire will grow with your child for years to come; the Leappad will get outgrown sooner or later; however both devices the LeapPad and the Explorer get played frequently by our 4 and 6 year olds and are basically worry free. They both are great devices and of course the K Fire was not designed to be toy but can be used by children with the proper protection (cover, screen protector, stylus).
Wolfsatz Domain answered on November 19, 2011
Comment | 22 of 23 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Our almost 4 year old enjoys the kid apps on the Kindle fire more than he does the leaptab. And the apps for the kindle fire are way cheaper. If you are worried about accidents get the accident insurance from squaretrade. go directly to squaretrade site as the insurance is cheaper than thru amazon for some reason.....
Philip Brown answered on November 29, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I LOVE the Fire! My husband has an Ipad 2, and he is giving my Fire an awful lot of attention :) I am trying to decide what to get my boys, ages 5 and 10, for christmas. The 10 year old will most likely get a Fire, and I went out looking at the in-store demos for the leap Pad. I do like the camera and story altering capabilities of the leapPad, but they have DSI games and hardly use the cameras?? I have only had the Kindle Fire for a couple of days and the boys are both really enjoying it. I have had no problem with touchscreen responsiveness, or downloading any purchased or free apps, so far. It was given to me as a surprise birthday gift, I never would have considered buying any kind of reader. Now, I think I'm hooked. It is the perfect size, and so far the battery life has been great. I will spend some time playing with some kid friendly stuff and report back tomorrow.
Vegas Bookie answered on December 3, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
After getting the leap pad for our daughter for her 3rd birthday I would DEFINITELY get her a FIRE. the LP is a sick joke. Wish we would have never got it. Apps are overpriced, battery life is terrible, functions are horribly limited. Even the cheapest android tablet is likely going to be a better buy. Our 3yr old uses my wife's kindle fire better than most adults can...lol.
B. Snyder answered on February 10, 2012
Comment | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I like the response from the Fire better than I do the Ipad. It picks up the touch of my sons finger better than the Ipad as well.
Philip Brown answered on December 2, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Definitely not the Leappad. I'd go with the Kindle Fire because you can do so much more on it. In either case, don't buy too early as the return clock is ticking and be sure to give a gift receipt. :) Good luck!
Sunny Az answered on December 6, 2011

A
I bought the Kindle Fire for our 5.5 year old, as the Leap Pad was reaching the same price point over the Christmas season. She's played with it for a couple of days and loves it. She has had exposure to the Leapster 2 (her gateway drug), our IPhones and then the IPad 2. She is very accustomed to navigating on the Iphones and IPad.

After giving her the Fire and downloading several apps, I am very happy with my decision and so is she. She played with the Kindle Fire on our two hour car ride today and was completely consumed. She's still not as savvy on navigating the Fire, but she seems to be getting oriented quickly. Our 2.5 year old has been able to play with the IPad and Jenna, our 5 year old, plays with what she calls her "big Iphone" which is the Fire. No more fighting between the kids and I am able to use the IPad a lot more. I have monkeyed around with the Fire as well and can say that it is a well built device with a very sharp and colorful display. I watched a few minutes of a movie on it and got immersed pretty quickly.

Based on our child's use model (game and learning apps in addition to video on Youtube and Netflix) I think the Fire will be a great value for $200.

And I've gotta say, I would have been highly disappointed with the Leap Pad if I would have ordered it sight unseen from Amazon. It looks robust and significant. However, when I checked it out on display in Target, it was pretty puny. I think that after getting spoiled to an Ipad, the Leap Pad would have been a huge letdown for our child. The Fire, on the other hand, is a very suitable substitute.
Martian1 answered on December 26, 2011

A
I was thinking the same thing. My son is five and he can navigate the Kindle Fire (and nearly anything else) with ease. The Fire is my wife's birthday gift, be she installed some kid friendly software on and he can pick out what books he wants to read and is very happy. I was looking at getting a Leapforg or a small laptop, but for the price and being a Prime member, this is a real deal. I only worry about damage and wear and tear. $200 isn't a lot (compared to a laptop), but it's still $200 dollars.
Kofi Jamal Simmons answered on November 25, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm not sure what to get my almost 9 year old granddaughter she will be 9 in jan she does not currently have anything? should I get kindle fire a dsl nintendo or leap pad help please!
Joyce D Martin answered on December 6, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Actually you can share Kindle apps, as long as both Kindle Fires are linked to the same account. I have apps from the Kindle App Store on my KFire and on my phone (Droid X) with no issues. There is no limit to the number of devices you can link to your Amazon Prime account, however only 2 Kindles can be streaming Prime content at one time. The Amazon App Store has a decent selection of free apps (and they give away one paid app for free every day - although some of them aren't the best quality), and the vast majority of paid apps are under $5 (mostly $0.99 or $1.99). You can also add most other Android apps to your K Fire by sideloading them.

We have a good mix of tech in our house - an Android phone, an iPhone, a 1st gen iPad, LeadPad 2, Leapster Explorer, and a Kindle Fire. We have a 5 year old and 2.5 year old boys, and they both love the iPad and K Fire. The K Fire has the parental controls turned on so you have to enter a password to use the web or purchase apps.
Justin L. Bowers answered on September 12, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

See all questions about this product