Kindle more expensive than hardback?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2010 11:22:01 AM PDT
You have got to be kidding me....... No publishing, no distribution, no shipping, no trees cut down.... and yet you want to charge me more for the kindle edition, than if I were to buy the hardcover book. Get real. This is the best way to lose kindle business. I don't mind paying a fair price.... but make sure it's fair! Amazon and publishers... you should hang your heads in shame!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 12:16:20 PM PDT
I just ordered a wireless Kindle....I really didn't want to see this....or should I say, I am glad I saw this, Diana! WOW, hope Amazon gave you an answer or better yet...your money back!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 8:30:50 AM PDT
While searching for Kindle ebooks this morning, I found that The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow is to be released for Kindle readers on October 12, 2010 at the whopping price of $17.00. Why would I want to pay this high price when I can go to my public library and borrow a copy for FREE? I admit I would like better to read the book on my Kindle but not for $17.00.

Why would the publisher, Simon and Schuster put such a high price on this book? It was first published in 1954, 56 years ago and probably most readers have NEVER heard of it. I would think that even library copies are covered with dust from not being read. Seems to me that it would be much more profitable to sell the book for $9.99 and get more buyers and then more exposure.

Also the new Ken Follett book, Fall Of Giants, published by Dutton is even higher priced at $19.99 for the Kindle. WHY?

We don't get a hard copy of the book, nothing to keep or to pass on to our friends. It is much more profitable to buy it at a discount store, Costco or Sam's, etc., read it and then sell it on eBay, or even to buy your copy on eBay and then resell after reading it if you aren`t a collector.

Of course, there are those unfortunate readers who can only read some of these books on the Kindle because they are sight impaired and have to be able to change the font to a larger print. Not all books are published in large print. I would hate to think that any publisher would even think of taking advantage of these people.

Part of the lure of buying a Kindle was to get books at a cheaper rate, $9.99 or less. I believe this problems to be the fault of the greedy publishers, NOT http://amazon.com. I LOVE MY KINDLE!

All Kindle readers should refuse to buy any books that are priced over $9.99.

Phyllis Campbell

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 11:55:05 AM PDT
E Micro says:
FYI, I changed my country of origin to Canada (under Manage Your Kindle) and paid only 9.99 for it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:11:23 PM PST
I figure it this way: I can buy a new or used hardback for the same or slightly more than the Kindle version. Considering shipping cost of $3.99 I may pay slightly more. But, I can read it and then turn around and sell it on Amazon and recoup all my money and at times make a bit of profit. The bottom line --- I read the book for free. Until Amazon brings the price of the digital version down to what it should be, I'll stick to the hardback.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:13:13 PM PST
You can get a whole lot of use from your new Kindle if you know how to use free software to download the newspapers and magazines you want and upload it to your Kindle. There's lots of free content available and reading on the Kindle is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:15:09 PM PST
The publishers currently only get a tiny 30% and Amazon gets 70 percent. I do not blame the publishers. Having said that, Amazon is about to reverse those figures (may have already done so) and give the publisher 70 percent. It is believed this will cause the price to go down. We'll see.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 5:31:30 PM PST
Tom Horn says:
If the pricing structure is not changed soon there is no reason to buy a kindle or to keep it if you have one. Kindle's benefit was to get ebooks for less because there is no production costs, shipping, handling, inventory costs. So how can it possibly cost more or as much as a hard copy? So, what is your justification Amazon for your pricing model?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 5:44:26 PM PST
You're absolutely right. Amazon claims Kindle versions of books outsell Hardbacks. That may be true. But what it doesn't say is how it rates with paperbacks, which sell more than any format. Other considerations: when you buy a "real" book, you own it for all intents and purposes. You can keep it forever, read it all you want, sell it or trade it, loan it --- do whatever you want with it. Not so with the digital book. You're out the bucks. Period. With a digital book, you're given a license. That's not ownership. When the new is worn off the gadget, it's likely it won't be so popular. On the other hand, it is good for reading free or reasonably-priced stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2010 9:49:07 PM PST
I agree. You can get many new releases in hardcover from BOMC2 for 9.99 and free shipping. Paying more than $10 for a kindle book does not make much sense.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 12:12:16 PM PST
I love my Kindle and Ken Follett but I find it very hard to pay more than a hardback book (the equilvalent size of 3 average length novels per Ken, himself). How can the Kindle price be higher?? It makes no sense!! I was anxiously waiting to read this book as Pillars of the Earth is one of my all-time favorite books but I will not be buying it on my Kindle until the price is lower.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 2:08:57 PM PST
glendower says:
The objections voiced here are but some of the reasons to avoid e-books and their hadware! At last, a boycott that makes sense!

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 2:29:00 PM PST
I doubt people will boycott something they love as much as reading on their Kindles and Nooks, etc. For example, I love having my books and papers on one small machine I can take anywhere. Shelping around with books trying to locate information is a bummer. I had five or six out at a time in some cases trying to locate some piece of information that I just had to have. On the other hand, I pretty much won't pay over $9.99 for an ebook. There is one I want for $36 and it's one I'd probably refer to often. I'm honestly considering buying it. But the only way I would if it was a business book that I would use often. I do think most ebooks are priced far too high and they're not worth buying. As I've said before, you can sell a paper book and recoup your money. Not so with an ebook.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 6:57:55 PM PST
FarmLady says:
This is crazy. If publishers are going to jack up the prices like this, they are going to lose their customers. I won't pay that much for a book I can't share or sell if I wanted to.

I thought 12.99 was high. Part of the reason I wanted the Kindle in the first place was the 9.99 bestseller prices. This is nuts. I'd really like to continue to use my Kindle, but I'll read only the classics if publishers want to charge that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 7:02:39 PM PST
There's one I want Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (Ultimate Consultant (Pfeiffer)) for about $36.00. Amazon is taking the actual book in trade and giving $25.00 and I could resell it for $36 plus. This particular book, however, is one I'd likely keep for reference. That's the only reason I'd even consider buying the ebook. I frankly think it's a horrible price to pay for a book that you're merely buying a license to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 12:40:41 PM PST
The question is, is the income lost from customers not buying it at the higher price greater than the larger amount of money they are getting for charging more? The even bigger question is, what is the impact of ebook prices on the publisher's overall bottom line considering ALL of their products, not just ebooks?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 4:04:22 PM PST
R. fuerst says:
Here is my point I am flabbergasted at amazon why in the world are these book prices so high? to stimulate the economy I thought when I first saw a TEN dollar book. Then before I knew it ALL the books are near 10.00 UP 9.99 SO WHAT 9.99 IS almost 10.00 I know it isn't ten but this is still ridicules as Kindle customers should we have more or less cheaper books? I mean we pay what 100.00 the LEAST for a kindle now we pay $10.00 a book as well? if we buy 10 books wow looky their $150.00 WE MIGHT AS WELL BUY HARDCOVERS! The funny thing is too when you have a kindle you think "oh this is so great I'm not using ink nor paper for this book!" well wait isn't the fact paper and ink are in books make books more expensive " everyone nods" (hopefully) so why is it that WE ARE PAYING MORE THAN HARD COVER!! What do we as customers of kindle have to do to get reasonable prices the used paper back is less then kindle ebook WITH SHIPPING!! I am so tired of this anyway where is all this extra money going anyway!!!??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 5:16:10 PM PST
Nancy Mowry says:
I agree. I am a huge Follet fan, but I will not be purchasing this book till it hits 9.99. I'm a little more then disappointed with Amazon for letting this abuse take place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 5:45:21 AM PST
However, you shouldn't be flabbergasted at Amazon because the publishers are setting the prices. Amazon merely agreed to contract with the publishers so they could still sell Kindle ebooks and let the customer decide if the price was too high. The alternative would have been (and was for a short time) NO choice to buy these ebooks in the Kindle format at any price. It has nothing to do with "stimulating the economy". Most people would prefer to have the choice to buy a product, even if it is expensive, rather than no choice at all. With a little research on the web, you can read for yourself the sequence of events between Amazon and the publishers about how the prices and pricing structure changed over the last year or so.

"WE MIGHT AS WELL BUY HARDCOVERS!"

Speak for yourself. I'll be happy if I never have to buy another hardcover book again. I like to keep the "books" I read, and I don't like the space they take up as I accumulate more and more of them. eBooks are the perfect alternative FOR ME and some other people. I PREFER the Kindle and its format over the hardcover any day of the week for most reading (though some reference books or guides are better for me in paper). The Kindle format is more valuable to me than the hardcover format for a variety of reasons, not to mention more valuable to me than other ereader formats because of their devices. As such, I'll pay the same and sometimes more for the Kindle edition. Their relative production costs make absolutely zero difference in whether or not I expect to enjoy the product that I'm buying.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 3:54:49 PM PST
I refuse to patronize publishers who show this level of arrogance and stupidity. Simple as that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 2:53:30 PM PST
David Hughes says:
I totally agree. I would like to read the book - but not when it is more expensive on Kindle than it is in hard cover. How do we get Amazon to react to this issue?

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:17:01 PM PST
Amazon Fan says:
I agree, aside from the lack of cost in printing, shipping, marketing, selling, etc. etc. etc., there are also many inconveniences in having a book on a Kindle, so the price should make up for these inconveniences too.

If you buy a book on the Kindle you can't read it unless you have an electronic device present, you can't cozy up and read it as a book turning each page, or print a copy of a given passage, write all over it, put it on your bookshelf, create a library and/or pull it off to show friends and company different pieces of it, lend it to your friends and family.

It doesn't read or feel the same, and sometimes you want to curl up with an actual book. You can't pore over it to research or show business colleagues. You can't navigate as easily through the chapters on many devices, since they are no page numbers and navigation is difficult.

If your Kindle breaks, or you don't want to buy one, you are relegated to reading it on a smartphone (if you have that) or online when you're in front of a computer. If you care about health, and not being around electronic devices too much, once you buy it on the Kindle you're stuck and have to re-invest and buy another copy at full price to get a hard copy too!

These are just a couple quick issues on the top of my head.

Personally, as a religious person, I don't use any electricity one day a week, and only use real books. So, for a segment like mine, spending any significant amount of money on a book I won't be able to read on the one day a week that I actually care to read it, is a waste of my money.

Plus, it just honestly makes you look greedy. You could charge so much less and still make a huge profit. Why alienate your customers in this way?

I hope I've given you at least a couple things to think about. Come on, you guys are the leaders in usability, in designing things around your customer's needs. How could you have a policy that is so off putting to your customers? Isn't it more worth it to you to sell at a low price MORE books, than to charge exorbitant prices this way?

I strongly urge you to please re-think your policy.

Sincerely,
(In General) An Amazon Fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 6:59:52 AM PST
I agree that the books should be cheaper for the Kindle, but these prices are set by the author's publisher from what I understand. I love the Kindle because I am not accumulating books with no where to put them! When I want a book to read, I can download in seconds and start reading. I also love the convenience when traveling. For me, it works!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 12:56:03 PM PST
I agree - I bourght the paper version at Costco for $4 less than Kindle. Not worth $4 more for downloaded version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fall of Giants (Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (Century Trilogy) by Ken Follett (Audio CD - September 28, 2010)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (4,946)