I am a Kindle owner, and I am ashamed.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 8:10:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2010 10:41:35 AM PST
M. Spencer says:
(Response from a one-star reviewer) "My review has been flagged as inappropriate by lots of apologists over the past couple days and removed twice, but it has twice been reinstated by Amazon who have assured me that it is within their guidelines. "

Amazon least of all will want to remove your review. Why would they? After their fight with Macmillan last year over ebook pricing, I'm sure they are loving every one of these one-star Kindle reviews that are being published. After all, if all books are released in digital format it is a big WIN for them (and don't believe for a second they truly care about the reader - it's all about the money).

As a fellow ebook reader (Kindle DX) I am ashamed by the one-star reviews. It is clear Brandon has worked very hard to produce a book with the highest quality and in a short amount of time. IMO there is no other author who could of pulled off such a task. These reviews not only hurt him (his assistant- i.e. brother - published a newsletter where he asked reviewers to stop posting one-star reviews about the Kindle edition), but it stops casual readers who have never heard anything about the series from picking it up. A lot of readers view the top 100 Amazon books and the rating for each book is listed next to it. There is a major difference between 4 stars and 4 1/2 when periodically scanning the list for a good read. Although I would never expect someone to start at book 13, I enjoy that other people might have the opportunity to read such a great series. Not only that, but it brings attention to the neglected fantasy & sci-fi crowd.

I believe we, the readers, should be responsible and show our appreciation to a series that had lost its initial author and was, somehow, completed (or will be completed) with a trilogy of books that will likely match the first three books. We are lucky these books are coming out. Show more appreciation!

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 11:05:32 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:28:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 3:29:26 PM PST
I'd show more appreciation if Harriet would let me read the book. She won't, she's withholding it to force me and others to buy it twice. Those one star reviews are a demonstration against blatant greed.

If she wants to honor her husband's memory, and give the massive respect due to Brandon, release it on the Kindle now. Charge the same as the hardback if you like, but let us pay for it and read it. What she's doing now is making hundreds of thousands (millions maybe) of us wait three months before we read the book.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:58:55 PM PST
Z. R. Murray says:
The way I figure it they have the right to choose when they release the e-book version because they own the rights, just like people have the right to give whatever rating they like as long as they have a valid reason for that rating that others will understand and sympathise with. If a reviewer gave a lower rating due to bad cover art, production delays, or poor print quality would you be equally oppossed to their opinions?

Just take a look at any half-season release of any populer television series, or any video game with restrictive DRM, and you'll see the exact same thing happening. Should books be treated any differently then these items?

You also say that amazon is purely in this for the money, which I'm sure is true, but then don't even comment on their choice to sell the prologue as an ebook for obvious profit. I assume they did this to ensure they can keep sales of the hardcover flowing so they don't end having gone with too large of a print run, and I'm also sure they want to make sure profits are kept as high as possible to recoupe their expenses. This is the logic I would think also leads to a later release date for paperback books.

What I don't understand is why they couldn't have release the e-book at a price point that would allow for a profit margin equal to that of their hardcover sales? I'm sure these few e-book sales at this point wouldn't have drastically impacted hardcover sales regardless, and they'd probably make more money then anything, so I just can't see any valid argument for not doing so. Other then as a slap in the face to any earl adopters of e-readers that is.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 6:26:20 PM PST
anonymous says:
When they release the ebook at the same time as the hardcover at the same price, people complain with one star reviews. When they wait to release the ebook, the same people complain with one star reviews. The only thing that pleases some people is 'free'.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 9:24:10 PM PST
Your never going to please everyone no matter what you do. I think of it as how paperback novels work. The hard cover book always gets released first and then 6 months later the paperback follows. Why anyone is surprised that e-books follows something similar to this formula is beyond me.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 3:46:17 PM PST
Z. R. Murray says:
"Why anyone is surprised that e-books follows something similar to this formula is beyond me."

The reason why e-books have the potential to break tradition is that publishers can sell them a price which brings in the same level of profit that a hardcover would and people will still by them. I'm sure there are reasons a person may prefer a paperback over a hard-cover, but I doubt anyone them would be willing to pay more for a paperback then a hardcover. E-books transcend this issue because there are people are willing to pay more for the e-book version on release day for the benefit of getting it easily and in a format that they prefer.

I guess it would make sense to limit e-books right away because it would potentially lower hard-cover sales, which would mean they wouldn't place as high on the NY Times best seller list. At least that I can understand and would probably do myself. Plus I agree that people will always complain about something, but this time at least, as a kindle and nook owner myself, I can understand why people are upset.

All I know is if they delay the e-book release by months, and then release it for even a penny more then the paperback version, then I'm going to be truly upset!

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 4:07:27 PM PST
S. Pare says:
If ebook sales were figured in with traditional sales, it wouldn't make a difference about the NY Times Bestseller list..something the industry is going to have to re-evaluate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 4:21:04 PM PST
Do you really think one star reviews would throw off a WOT fan? I mean, we survived Winter's Heart - we are a determined lot! And do you really think a casual reader will pick up book number 13? Funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 8:59:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2010 9:00:31 PM PST
EzReviewer says:
I agree George. Silly gooses! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 5:23:40 AM PST
anonymous says:
"E-books transcend this issue because there are people are willing to pay more for the e-book version on release day for the benefit of getting it easily and in a format that they prefer."

And there are people currently 'protesting' that as well. Probably the same people.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 12:15:47 AM PST
I am a Sony Reader user, and while I have not submitted a one star review of this book (not planning on reading it until it is available in my preferred format, I have not submitted a review at all), I have no problem with those kindle folks who have. It makes no economic or business sense in this day and age to not have a simultaneous hardcover/e book release for a major block buster book. The one star reviews are one way for consumers to express their displeasure with the poor business decision of the responsible party/parties.

What good will contacting the publisher or Amazon do if the decision was made by the author's widow? But perhaps if she hears about the backlash and negative reviews, she will reconsider her rather bizarre decision next time around for the final book.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 6:27:55 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:03:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 8:21:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 8:22:33 AM PST
J Bum G says:
The eBook was delayed solely because the NYT Bestseller List doesn't count them as sales, and they wanted to ensure that this made #1 and that it stays on the Bestseller List for as long as possible. I went to a Sanderson signing and Harriet McDougal told us this. So really, you should probably complain to the NYT and get them to count them in the future. I bet if they counted eBooks as equals, there would have been no delay at all.

The publisher and Harriet knows that eBooks will sell and they can make a profit on it, they are not that dumb. However, having a #1 Bestseller is an important distinction to have for those in the industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 7:11:17 AM PST
Mimi says:
When you become a single parent, who has lost your mate and their potential earnings needed to secure your children's future, then MAYBE you will have a right to label Harriet as greedy! No one can imagine the fears she faces about her future without her husband.

As anxious as I am to have the completion of the series revealed, I will make myself be patient and anxiously await each release, as I did for each previous release when Robert Jordan was alive! I'm sure there are factors to be considered in releasing the sections of the book in print media as well as in digital form, of which those not in the business have no concept.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 9:19:47 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:04:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 1:28:51 PM PST
Mimi the main factor is ego. Harriet wants to win the NY Times ratings

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 3:02:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2010 3:14:11 PM PST
Gerri Meyers says:
Totally agree with old George here. Really people get a grip. Harriet picked the right guy to write to book. I have read every one of Brandon's books to see if he was worthy and I felt from his books that he might not be able to do a good job BUT he changed his way of writing to really meld with Jordan (who I cried when he died - selfishly because of not finishing this GREAT work of fantasy). If people give him one star it is just plain silly .... loved Book 12 and still reading Book 13 but love it also. You GO HARRIET !
Just don't buy it if you don't want to pay for it and shush up. Nothing would stop a WOT person from reading this book. I just hope they get good unknowns to play them in the movies and be true to the personalities and physical characteristics that RJ gave them.
I am a true blue fan .. GerriGer

PS. I am now using my iPad for reading but want to warn you guys ... the Kindle System is better because it is much easier on the eyes. Don't get me wrong the iPad is great but not really for reading books when you read a lot. The Kindle is on my list for Christmas !!!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 5:54:42 PM PST
S. Berleman says:
Gerri... I do plan on reading it. But I will be getting it from the library instead of buying it from the Kindle. Thanks Harriet for saving me money!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 6:13:50 PM PST
anonymous says:
Because it's so horrible waiting ten weeks. Ten weeks is such a very long time, I think I'll whine the whole ten weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 6:26:41 AM PST
Gerri Meyers says:
For S. Berleman: The library is a great alternative ... WOT is the one of the only book series that I bought hard bound and have read over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 6:34:37 AM PST
Gerri Meyers says:
S Bridgeford: read J Bumgardner's responds ... He is right. If you don't have a good showing in the way they do the book business then how do you expect people with really good books to get advertising for the book? I guess you can say ... I never got any awards but hey my book is terrific! I know I'd go out immediately and get it .. NOT. I want a movie made and they would never make one if you don't have a good book showing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 10:06:59 AM PST
Mimi says:
Thought you might want to read an article from the NYT re: eBooks.

Times Will Rank E-Book Best Sellers
By JULIE BOSMAN
Published: November 10, 2010

In an acknowledgment of the growing sales and influence of digital publishing, The New York Times said on Wednesday that it would publish e-book best-seller lists in fiction and nonfiction beginning early next year.

The lists will be compiled from weekly data from publishers, chain bookstores, independent booksellers and online retailers, among other sources.

Since 1935 The Times has published best-seller lists, widely considered the industry standard. Best-seller lists are also published by Publishers Weekly, a trade publication, and newspapers including The Los Angeles Times and USA Today.

Janet Elder, the editor of news surveys and election analysis for The Times, said the newspaper had spent two years creating a system that tracks and verifies e-book sales.

"We've had our eye on e-book sales since e-books began," Ms. Elder said. "It was clear that e-books were taking a greater and greater share of total sales, and we wanted to be able to tell our readers which titles were selling and how they fit together with print sales."

E-book sales have risen steeply in 2010, spurred by the growing popularity of the Amazon Kindle and by the release of the Apple iPad in April. According to the Association of American Publishers, which receives sales data from publishers, e-book sales in the first nine months of 2010 were $304.6 million, up from $105.6 million from the same period in 2009, a nearly 190 percent increase.

Several major publishers said that e-books had climbed to about 10 percent of their total trade sales. Some publishing experts have predicted that they will rise to 25 percent in the next two to three years.

RoyaltyShare, a San Diego-based company that tracks data and aggregates sales information for publishers, will work with The Times, provide data and offer an additional source of independent corroboration.

The Times will also redesign the section of its Sunday Book Review that features the best-seller lists. The Times already publishes 14 lists, including those for fiction, nonfiction and advice books in hardcover and paperback, as well as children's books and graphic books.

"To give the fullest and most accurate possible snapshot of what books are being read at a given moment you have to include as many different formats as possible, and e-books have really grown, there's no question about it," said Sam Tanenhaus, editor of the Book Review. The new listings, he added, give readers "the fullest picture we can give them about how a book is doing week to week."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 3:27:03 PM PST
Ben says:
Well now that the NY Times is going to have an ebook best sellers list, maybe we're moving in the right direction to get simultaneous release.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 9:18:36 PM PST
Captain says:
Agreed. Very poor form.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions