Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Kindle price on M Connelly's new book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2010 7:22:38 PM PDT
12 cents difference from hardback price.....come on!

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 7:28:23 PM PDT
Since Amazon set the hardcover price (heavily discounted) and the publisher set the Kindle price, I guess the only fair thing to do is for Amazon to raise the Hardcover price, increasing their profit margin and making kindle buyers feel like they are getting an even better deal than $15 for a brand new book with instant access.

Posted on Sep 17, 2010 10:56:30 AM PDT
At that price I will buy it at Costco or B&N and loan it out to several friends before donating it to a library sale.

I understand 9.99 needed to be adjusted for inflation, but not by 50%

Posted on Sep 17, 2010 11:27:20 PM PDT
John Grisham says:
I will purchase this book at Sam's, or Costco. Price is too high for Kindle. If people stop buying these $15 books the price will go down. I will not purchase another Kindle book with the price set too high by the Publisher. My 2 cents.

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 6:15:59 PM PDT
M&M says:
I agree. The cost to the publisher is so much less than for a printed book - especially the hardbacks. When are the publishers going to realize we're not stupid. I guess I'll have to boycott this book and others with unrealistic Kindle prices.

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 4:25:02 PM PDT
I agree that offering Connelly's new book on Kindle is a slap in the face for us owners.........remember, we already put out money to buy the kindle. If I had read these reviews prior to buying my kindle, guess what....I would not own one now!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010 4:50:51 PM PDT
Do you know anyone who has an iPad or Nook? It is my understanding that the manufacturers of other than Kindle ereaders agreed to higher publisher prices. This caused the Kindle prices to go up for those publishers also. I think publishers saw the handwriting on the wall and are trying to salvage their investments in bookstores. It is a typical business move to quash new technology that threatens them. Hold on, e readers are the wave of the future. It will just getting old school publishers out of the picture. Time hurts all heels.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2010 12:10:10 PM PDT
I agree its getting crazy when you can get a hardback book delivered in two days for less then the Kindle Edition. (The Reversal Hardback $14.87 vs. Kindle $14.99)

I expect like many Kindle users we purchased the devise not only for the convenience but also thinking we get to purchase books at a lower price, this was the way I saw the Kindle sales promotion.

My feeling is I was deceived by Amazon and let down that one of the major reason for purchasing the devise is no longer valid. I now feel Amazon is no longer an organization to be trusted and will move as much of my business as possible to other online retailers.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 4:56:04 PM PDT
I have an iPad, but I use the Kindle for iPad application. It really doesn't matter to me that the Kindle price is not significantly different to the hardcover price. I prefer the eBook version because it's quicker to obtain the book, easier to read (except in daylight, but I have a Kindle if I want to read outdoors) and easier to store. Not being able to sell previously read books isn't a drawback for me.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 6:56:21 AM PDT
Nan53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 9:48:09 AM PDT
Dan Stoffel says:
I too am a new Kindle owner and can't justify paying this much for a book that I can't easily share with others or re-sell. Pity that, which I *adore,* won't get my purchase (and I realize it's not necessarily any fault of theirs). I've been rather unpleasantly surprised that prices for Kindle versions seem to have risen quite a bit; I justified my purchase of the device partially by the (supposedly) lower cost of the Kindle versions. <sigh>

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 10:09:43 AM PDT
NJmomie says:
To Nan53, if you look at the title of this discussion, it says: "Kindle price on M. Connelly's new book" not "The Reversal review". Go to the page of the book if you need to see its review.
To add my two cents...I am flabbergasted at the price of the Kindle version!!! How is it that an electronic version is more expensive than a hardcover???? Come on, Little Brown & Co., give us Kindle owners a break!

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 11:38:05 AM PDT
Helen Allen says:
I am glad that everyone agrees that the price of the Kindle book versions have gotten out of hand. It is great for convenience, loight and easy to carry, but the fact is that is does cost much less for the publisher to deliver the book electronically. At least with a hard cover you can share the book. When the Kindle first came out Amazon promoted it as such. Not such a good deal now.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 8:46:21 AM PDT
chris2519 says:
Totally agree. I have bought every book Connelly has written. But I will NOT pay 14.99 for digital version. Costco here I come. Everyone should share their views with amazon about this. Take a few seconds to send them an email, maybe they will get the message.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 11:35:50 AM PDT
Fred Forbes says:
I jsut bought Follet's and Bryson's new books at Costco, despite loving my kindle dearly. I just cannot justify the kindle price. It is too bad because I enjoy Amazon and know that if they had their way these books would go for $9.99. I know the publishers aren't so dumb that they do not realize that they make more money on a kindle sale at $9.99 than the price they get for the printed edition due to the low costs so I guess this is their way of flipping us the bird. I guess the best bet is to wait them out until the paperback stage then buy the kindle version for $4.99. There is plenty to read in the meantime!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 7:16:15 PM PDT
David says:
Ain't buying the e-book until the mass PB edition is out so that Amazon sells it for under ten bucks. Besides, I like Harry.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2010 7:17:08 PM PDT
David says:
Right on. This is what I used to do.

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 3:44:55 PM PDT
Lesley says:
I know the publisher set the price. I'm not ticked off at Amazon, but I'm ticked off at the price. Come on, publishers--don't be stubborn. E-book sales of fiction are booming. There are no "additional costs" like shipping or production to be passed on to the consumer. Don't insult us by making the paper-waster hardback edition LESS expensive than the e-book. In fact, I just don't understand your problem with e-books: you already tried the make-em-wait tactic with Stephen King's "Under the Dome," and you saw how well that worked. It should be obvious: we don't WANT to go back to paper books, so stop trying to make us! What is this thing you have for paper? Your stubbornness is ridiculous. So ridiculous, in fact, that I hopped over to Audible and used a credit for this one. (So *nyah.*)

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 11:02:25 AM PDT
Santiago says:
Yeah, Time to let the publishers know we expect a discount on Kindle titles. This is just beyond my price point for a novel no matter how good.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 10:03:52 AM PDT
I have bought every Connelly book thus far (hard copy style) and have bought several (again) for my Kindle library. This price for the Kindle version of the new book is too high. Considering the considerable savings that the publisher enjoys on each Kindle version (sans material, labor, shipping, etc..), I believe I will pass on this book until the price drops below the $9.99 level.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 8:48:36 AM PDT
I agree. My husband bought me a Kindle to "save money". All the new books are expensive. It's hard to pass up the Costco prices. Weight on an airplane seems to be the only advantage of the Kindle right now.

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 8:11:51 PM PDT
Vicki says:
As I would normally pay $25 - $30 for a paper back book, I really don't have an issue with paying $15, particularly as the Kindle is just so conveniant. At the moment as the A$/$US exchange rate is very good, however it will be a different story if the A$ falls very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 4:51:25 AM PDT
@ Stephanie Smith

Weight the only advantage? What about ability to change font size and font style, use the text to speech function, use the dictionary to look up words you don't know, search anywhere in the book instantly, and not have to hold a large book for a long period of time? Those don't seem like advantages to you?

As for "all the new books" being expensive, I think you'll find the majority of the New York Times Bestseller list books still sell for $9.99 or less.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 10:23:36 AM PDT
Santiago says:
Looks like the price is down to 12.99 so holding out made a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 12:38:07 PM PDT
Avid reader says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel)
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel) by Michael Connelly (Hardcover - October 5, 2010)
4.2 out of 5 stars (1,077)