Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2010 5:08:02 PM PDT
B. Blanton says:
This Kindle is higher than the paperback! I also got the Kindle for $9.99 when the book first came out years ago, around February 1. The publishers, with Amazon cooperating seem to be doing price manipulation now! IN A RECESSION. I can't see any rational business decision for it except for greed.

I hope everyone is buying the paperback and not the Kindle.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 6:06:57 PM PDT
*shrug* Thanks to Steve Jobs and his nifty little contract trick, if Amazon doesn't offer the ebook at the price Penguin wants, we Kindlers don't get it at all. I'd rather have the option of deciding not to pay that price for it than to not have an option on it at all.

They're being greedy in a recession. Yeaaaaaah, Penguin freaked because the public is holding onto their money instead of handing it out willy-nilly. I don't find that surprising at all. They can do/charge what they want --since it's still a free country and all-- and we, the consuming public, can do what we want to do and decide based on our personal budgets to either pay the price they want or hold out and see if they will compromise by lowering their price.

Actually, I have both the Kindle and the paperback.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 11:27:00 PM PDT
B. Blanton says:
It's a lot of work to keep up with the business of buying books. I haven't bought a Kindle over 9.99 and find a lot of creative ways to find the summer books I want to read for that price or less. Sometimes a group of us will buy a hard cover with a high Kindle price and buy just one hard back with 4-6 people chipping in. After we all read it, if no one wants to keep it, we donate it to the library. They are buying fewer and fewer books because cities are stretched with lower tax dollars coming in so they welcome our bestselling donations. One of us takes the tax write off.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 12:11:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2010 12:12:36 PM PDT
Cool nerd says:
What a great idea!
EDIT: I'm refering to B. Blanton's comment.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 12:24:52 PM PDT
H. Solomon says:
I agree with B Blanton's suggestions. I, also donate my books, usually quarterly. The kindle is great, and I love having it, but there are times when I just miss the tactile feel of a book in my hand. The libraries will take any book you offer, as long as it's in good shape. If you have books on CD, donate them to a hospital, and use them.

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 12:31:00 PM PDT
A friend offered to give me this book in paperback, but I said, "No thanks, I'd rather buy it on Kindle". After seeing that the price is higher than the paperback price, I will go back with hat in hand and accept her kind offer. Maybe the greedy publisher should think about the fact that they will be making NOTHING when they could've made the price of the paperback book, yet saved the cost of the paper and printing and binding and shipping... RIDICULOUS!

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 5:57:59 PM PDT
I actually shared my Kindle copy with a friend via the deregister/register/deregister process - she wasn't going to buy it (esp at 12.99) but I'm hoping with a "free" copy she'll give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2010 9:38:07 AM PDT
Mums says:
Though all he suggestions below are helpful, the fact remains that the Kindle price is too high--for so many reasons.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 7:05:04 PM PDT
B. Blanton says:
Oh, Mums, I think we all agree. I have just felt better laying out a play for myself where I can use my kindle often and not go bankrupt. I have discovered lots of new authors in the genres i enjoy and of course have discovered some new ones. Then I can go back and find all the previous books s/he wrote. I also keep track of the 13.00 plus kindles and check them frequently to see if the price has dropped which it does occasionally. Can't pro-order much because the initial Kindle offering is so high but again, sometimes they drop the pre-order price and I snap it up then. That's why I say book buying is hard work now. Good thing I am retired!

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 10:18:26 PM PDT
Ingrid G. says:
I usually get the majority of the books for free too by using Feedbooks and Gutenberg Press and free Kindle offerings..I have about 400 books that way. BUT, I do buy some from time to time when it is a subject I am interested in. I am not happy that Eat.Pray.Love is more expensive electronically than as a paperback. It should be the same or less, at the very least.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 1:20:16 PM PDT
Hey I bought EAT, LOVE, PREY at the $9.99 price when it first came out. I see the publisher raised the price! Unbelievable. Like I said people will just steal it if the Publishers can't conform to pricing that should be NOT more then the $9.99 price that Kindle said would never be higher then. It's an ebook for goodness sake! COME ON PEOPLE!

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 2:39:29 PM PST
SAM Cook says:
I have to agree with the feeling of being "had" by the continually climbing Kindle prices. Prices should be LOWER than paperbacks, not HIGHER!!! I may have to put aside my Kindle and go back to buying paperbacks at discount stores.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 9:49:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2010 9:50:38 AM PST
Dr. Mark says:
How about this: all products and services should be free, or nearly so. That's a sure way to get us out of a recession (note sarcasm). It's supply and demand, folks; capitalism. If you don't want it, don't buy it; it's that simple. Your whining about "greed" is pathetic and naive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 6:46:24 PM PST
B. Blanton says:
Oh, Marky. My husband does this too. Goes right to the really extreme position which doesn't even conform to critical thinking to show how smart he is and how dumb I am. Since I am a much better critical thinker than he is, he always loses in the end when he does this, as he always admits later.

Facts: 1)I bought many more books from Amazon when the price was reasonable. Now I have a variety of sources I get them from including used, library, friends, book sales, etc.

2) I belong to a book club that just reads the classics which are easily available for free on Kindle or little money at the used book store.

3)I am re-reading my extensive library and thoroughly enjoying many of the books I've saved over the years.

On a cruise to the South Pacific we just took, I used the ship's library which was pretty eclectic and read lots of books that I wouldn't have bought on my own. Found many real winners that I'm glad I read.

So, the more expensive price of Kindle books has prompted me to significantly change my behavior and seek cheaper reading sources. Yes, I still get Kindles. Almost always they are on special for $9.99 or I wait for the paperback, library, loan, etc. Sometimes I buy the hard cover with friends and we share the cost and pass it around to those who have shared the cost. Then we donate it to the library, each taking a partial tax write off.

So you see, I don't whine. I take action!! Life is way too short to whine.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 8:44:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2011 8:45:34 AM PST
aruna says:
Folks, when you think up ways of not paying for books, spare a thought for the authors. They are paid per copy sold. If people refuse to buy books and only want freebies, authors won't get paid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 11:45:07 AM PST
D. Penn says:
We don't want freebies, we want the price to be reasonable. It costs less for digital and the price to us should reflect that.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 6:18:04 AM PST
aruna says:
The idea that hard copy books cost more than eversions of the same book is a myth. The most substantial costs in publishing, whether ebook or paper, is in acquisition and editing. The slush reader, the acquiring editor, the fact checker, the copy editor, the proofreader, the marketing and promotion ... the price is exactly the same. Printing itself is one of the smaller costs in the complete book production cycle. Ebook costs include software and DRM licensing, and server and server software costs, and tech support costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 10:22:12 AM PST
D. Penn says:
I agree about the labor involved with editing, but there's also storage and a lot more labor involved with handling a book. Think about the whole process from the printing to getting it to the shelves, in-store advertising, and bookstore staff (stocking/cashier/questions) before it ever gets in your hands.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 11:47:54 AM PST
C. Simpson says:
I agree that the Kindle price is way too high...When my new book club picked this book, I decided to check it out from the library since I have already read it and didn't even want to pay the paperback price!~

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 1:16:42 AM PDT
Viola1564 says:
what is the deregister/register/deregister process? Thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert (Paperback - January 30, 2007)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (3,567)