Customer Discussions > Elizabeth Street forum

Kindle question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 3:38:17 PM PDT
I want to buy a book for my Kindle that has several pages of reference material in the front. I can see the pages when I go to "Search Inside This Book," however, I cannot print the pages. It is not easy to go back and forth to these reference pages on my Kindle, that's why I wanted to print them out for easy reference. Is there a solution from anyone? Is this a Kindle flaw?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2010 10:49:33 AM PDT
D. Barber says:
I recommend David Emberson's Kindle 2 Cookbook for different ways to print pages or segements from ebooks, it is very inexpensive and invaluable as a reference. The Kindle 2 Cookbook: How To Do Everything the Manual Doesn't Tell You

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 3:35:25 PM PDT
THJ says:
Can you use kindle to read a book in Chinese?

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 5:42:14 PM PST
How do I delete a book from my Kindle? Or, do they stay with me forever?

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 3:33:20 PM PST
I have a kindle 3G. How do you go the the beginning of a book after you complete a book? Backspacing the whole book is not an option. I thought the 5-way controller button would do it by chapters if hitting the arrow-- back arrow. But is is not working on this one book. ???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 2:36:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 3:07:42 AM PDT
Merismopedia says:
For Melanie White:

Press the Menu button. When the Menu opens up, press "Go To" and then use the 5 way controller to go to the Cover, Table of Contents, Beginning, etc.

For another way, see my answer about removing a book from your Kindle. You go to a different menu that allows you to remove a book but also allows you to go back to the beginning of the book or to the last page you read, several other options.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 2:44:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 3:08:31 AM PDT
Merismopedia says:
For Jerald Lertzman:

Go to "Home" and find the title, moving the cursor so that the title is highlighted. Then click the right button in the 5-way controller -- don't hit the middle button, just the ridge button on the right. You'll get a menu that allows you to Add to Collection, Go to Last Page Read, Go to Beginning, etc. Scroll down to the bottom and click Remove from Device. You'll get a box asking if you're sure, click Yes, and it's history.
Amazon says you can always retrieve a book from the site if you've purchased it so you can access it forever but it doesn't have to stay on your Kindle forever. This is for Kindle 3, could be different if you have an earlier one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 2:52:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 3:45:07 AM PDT
Merismopedia says:
For Robert Carrelli:

Do you know how to go back to the start of the book? I just answered that question for Melanie White. My answer applies to Kindle 3, may not work for earlier Kindles.

But it is a pain if you're having to go to the references often, not as easy as flipping pages in a real book. You can print from "Search Inside This Book" if you use Grab-It or some other means of capturing a page to your desktop, then printing it.

If it's "Elizabeth Street" that you want to buy, buy it, read it, it's a great book. You don't really need the references to enjoy the book.

Usually, I go back to the cover when I start a book and then go page by page but this time I just started reading at the beginning of the book, where Kindle books always open, so I didn't see the references in the earlier pages until I finished the book, got along fine without them. I was glad to find there's a glossary of Italian words in the front of the book because there were some I didn't know. I had marked them to look up later. The context they were used in gave a good idea of the meaning but I wanted to know the actual definitions of those words. I don't think I'd have looked them up while reading, though, had I known about the glossary.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 3:06:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 3:12:43 AM PDT
Merismopedia says:
For THJ

Ni hao ma. No, I can't use Kindle to read a book in Chinese because I only studied Mandarin for a semester, long ago, can only amuse waiters in Chinese restaurants -- or confuse them if they speak Cantonese, as most do.

But if you can read Chinese and books in Chinese are available as Kindle books, I don't understand your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 7:27:25 AM PDT
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! GOT IT.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 7:29:07 AM PDT
Thanks! I got it. Much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 6:41:28 PM PDT
Merismopedia says:
You're welcome, Melanie, I'm glad I could help. I am going to bookmark this page so i can look up the answers I gave the next time *I'm* stumped on these questions. I have had to solve these mysteries more than once, having forgotten between times what I'd figured out the time before.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 6:30:07 PM PDT
I downloaded a book to Mac and decided that I prefer it on Kindle. How can I transfer it from Mac to Kindle?

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 2:47:18 PM PDT
Is there a way to 'delete' some books after reading...?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 4:41:24 PM PDT
Merismopedia says:
Yes, as I told Jerald Lertzman above.

Go to "Home" and find the title, moving the cursor so that the title is highlighted. Then click the right button in the 5-way controller -- don't hit the middle button, just the ridge button on the right. You'll get a menu that allows you to Add to Collection, Go to Last Page Read, Go to Beginning, etc. Scroll down to the bottom of that menu and click Remove from Device. You'll get a box asking if you're sure, click Yes, and it's history.

Amazon says you can always retrieve a book from the site if you've purchased it so you can access it forever but it doesn't have to stay on your Kindle forever. This is for Kindle 3, could be different if you have an earlier version.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 9:20:28 AM PDT
Laurie says:
Hi, I'm the author of Elizabeth Street. I was contacted about the difficulty of accessing the family tree and the glossary while you're reading the book on Kindle just yesterday so I posted those documents on the Elizabeth Street Facebook page. You can print them out and keep them with your Kindle. I know it's not an ideal solution, but I hope it helps! Thanks for the kind words about Elizabeth Street.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:07:27 AM PST
Mia Spears says:
Do any kindles download and read books written in a foreign language--specifically modern greek?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 12:13:04 PM PST
Merismopedia says:
Thanks! Would you please post the URL for the page? I don't belong to FB but can usually see FB pages if given a URL.

I loved the book and will read it again, probably more than once.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 7:46:51 PM PST
Swell Kel says:
How do I transfer a kindle to someone else. I bought one for my mom and she doesn't like it. I want to give it to my son. I cannot remember the password and neither does my mom. Please advise

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:12:47 PM PST
how do i lend a book to another kindle?

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 9:37:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 9:39:15 AM PDT
I just purchased a book for kindle for pc. I thought it would go to my kindle. how can i read this on my kindle or are they mutually exclusive?

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:46:30 AM PDT
MARY MORROW says:
my kindle has frozen why is that please help

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 12:19:52 PM PDT
Merismopedia says:
assuming you mean it's been frozen for hours or days, i think you should call Amazon customer service at their toll-free number.

to get customer service at Amazon, go to home page and find place to click HELP at bottom right of page.

that's the hardest part: finding the right buttons to push. they could make it easier but i suppose if they did that they'd get too many calls asking them what time it is or when is the 4th of July, even "Have you got Prince Albert in a can?"

after you locate and press the HELP button, you see a form, answer a couple of questions about what kind of problem you're having, and can choose whether to have customer service e-mail you or phone you.

my experience has been that if you choose "phone now" the phone will ring within a minute. next you'll have to listen to music about one minute and then you can talk to a real person.

i have only called two, perhaps three, times, but my experiences have been positive. the people i've talked to were pleasant and helped solve my problem. hope you can get your Kindle "thawed" soon.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 12:27:22 AM PDT
Ian Seymour says:
How do you preview a novel before buying it? i.e. like reading the precise on the back of a book?

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 5:32:56 PM PDT
How do I transfer my notes on Kindle to my laptop?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Elizabeth Street forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elizabeth Street: A novel based on true events
Elizabeth Street: A novel based on true events by Laurie Fabiano (Paperback - June 17, 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,228)