Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Tourist forum

Kindle 2 not remebering last page read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2009 10:16:12 AM PDT
PaulGuy says:
I've started reading "The Tourist" this weekend and have noticed whenever I turn off the Kindle 2 when I turn it back on it doesn't remember where I was and opens the book at page one. Very annoying to say the least. This is the first book I've had this problem with. Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2009 4:54:31 PM PDT
J. Witmer says:
Same for me... I've read one other book and it always held the last page read whether the Whispernet was on or off. I called Amazon help and they were surprised that it held the page when it was turned off and told me to only put it to sleep rather than turn it off. It just doesn't make sense why one book works and one doesn't. Maybe something to do with the book features???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2009 5:09:11 PM PDT
PaulGuy says:
Same here, I called them and was told no need to turn it off but if I want to I should go to the "Home" page first, then turn it off and the last page will be remembered. But if you turn it off while in the body of the book it won't remember your last page. It has worked fine doing it that way but I swear I was able to turn it off in previous books I read without this issue. Certainly not a game changer but curious non the less.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2009 5:31:29 PM PDT
J. Witmer says:
Absolutely!! In fact I've been showing my K2 off to my friends (turning it on and off) and it ALWAYS remembered where I was and I never went back HOME first. It's only in THIS book which is why I think the problem lies in the book and not the device. I have several other books that I've bought but haven't read yet and I tried going to another book and opening it up and shutting it down and low and behold, it held the page!! I even deleted this current "problem" book and brought it back out from Archive but that didn't make any difference. I'll keep checking back here and see if you've come up with any new ideas. Other than that, I feel the same way - Not a deal breaker for me either! I LOVE my Kindle!! I guess I'll just have to remember to go HOME first then turn it off. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 8:43:56 AM PDT
Mark Jannone says:
Same thing happened to me with "The Tourist". All other books I can shut down in the body and it will remember the last page except for this one. However, as a previous poster accurately described, you can press the Home button prior to power off and this will retain the last page. One thing I noticed with this book is that if you hit the Menu button, there is no table of contents for this book (grayed out). This may have something to do with the issue

Posted on Apr 15, 2009 4:00:00 PM PDT
All right guys, I'll chime in too. Today (15 April) I had resolved to call Amazon because The Tourist, unlike the other three books I have read on the Kindle, would always go back to the first page. I've rebooted the Kindle, deleted the book and downloaded it again, cussed at the Kindle and shook a bag of old chicken bones over it, and nothing helped. I felt that it was just the book too, since the other three worked just fine - whether I had the Whispernet turned on or not, and whether I went back to the Home page or not. Maybe Amazon's Kindle people will get enough posts to investigate and fix in the future....

Posted on May 3, 2009 9:33:28 AM PDT
I had the same problem with the Tourist for the first part of the book. I finally got far enough into the book that it started to remember where I left off. I also saw large gaps on some pages and now wonder whether I lost some of the text. I hope Amazon figures this one out. I have read 3 or 4 books already without this problem

Posted on May 9, 2009 6:06:07 PM PDT
Izzy says:
I'm having the same problem now with every book. It started with The Air We Breathe by Andrea Barrett. It used to remember the page, and now it doesn't. So I put in a bookmark before I shut down now. But it is puzzling.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 11:47:51 AM PDT
I'm having the same problem with the book The Singing of the Dead. On every other book I've read, I've been able to shut it down without going to Home, and it has opened to the last page read just fine. I was going to reload the book, but from what you're saying, that isn't likely to help. I've also had some "freezing" problems while reading this book. Hope Kindle people take all this to heart and I'm wondering, maybe I SHOULD (?) get that extended warranty? I've only had my kindle for about a month.

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 10:55:29 PM PDT
Jet says:
It's random with me. Some books, the K2 remembers where I left off, some not; sometimes even within the same book. So I don't think it's endemic to "The Tourist". Btw, although I'll go look it up in the unwieldy Kindle Manual, could someone tell me how to make a bookmark? Thanks much.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 6:13:13 AM PST
Can anyone explain how Kindle determines what the last page read was. If I page forward 20 pages becacuse I am curious about something later on in the book and then go back to where I was. Does it assume the furthest page I went to was as far as I read or does it just assume that whatever page I was on when I go back to home or when I turn off the kindle was where I want to restart?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 11:39:55 AM PST
KristyLou says:
Hi Jet,
I'm trying to find the answer to the same question you asked...did anyone answer? How do I make a bookmark on my K2??
thanks!
Kristy

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 12:07:34 PM PST
I have the same problem with my kindle. Sometimes it remembers the last page written, sometimes it does not. It has not remembered the last page with the book: Nothing to Envy. There is also no table of contents. This problem needs a fix. I associated it with turning the wireless off, but from other posts, this is not the problem.
There is a selection under the Menu: "add a bookmark". you can bookmark the page you stop on, in case it were to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 12:08:14 PM PST
Under the Menu there is a selection "add a bookmark".

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 7:45:36 PM PST
Grandma says:
Yes, I have the same problem of not remembering the last page. We also have an older Kendal and it never has this problem. Even on the same book.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 7:58:00 AM PST
I just recently purchased my kindle and this is happening with the first book I read - I Was Told They'd Be Cake. I certainly hope this isn't indicative of what happens all the time. does anyone know if the going home first and then shutting down works?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 10:55:34 AM PST
I'm wondering if Wireless has to be on for this feature to work. I'm in Canada (with pre-international version of Kindle) and thus no Wireless, and the last page read feature doesn't seem to work.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 10:29:11 PM PST
treehugger says:
We are all having the same problem, but no one seems to have any answers here. Is there somewhere else I can go to find out how to get my Kindle to return to the last page read???

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 10:08:41 AM PST
yep same problem.. why isn't anyone ansering these posts from kindle or amzon??? my kindle also won't wake up! VWER annoying.. thinking about returning it..

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 7:47:02 AM PST
I am reading The Confession by Grisham. I don't turn it off after each use. I don't return to Home. I just close the cover. I do turn off the wireless when I don't need it. The device does not properly return to the last page read. It returns me to someplace inside the book, usually earlier in the book than last page read.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 8:50:11 PM PST
Please How do I return to the first page of a book to re-read it?

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 9:25:32 AM PST
W. Sieloff says:
I have the same problem without I press home, just close the cover and not turn it off, put it into sleep mode. It seems to pick a page it likes, about 20% and more often than not goes back there, no matter how far I am in the book. I hope Amazon is reading these posts. I think a recall is in order once this problem is fixed.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 1:19:03 PM PST
R. Brumley says:
Mine has started doing this as well. It didn't used to do this at all. I am reading "The Passage". All of the sudden itkept going back to 33%, and I was at 59% in my reading. Tried what was suggested here and pushed home before putting it back in sleep mode. It has remembered the page since then. However, I didn't ever have to push home before. It always used to remember my page.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 12:39:22 PM PST
I am having the same problem as everyone else. However, my problem exists when I am reading in my New York home. I have not had a problem down in my Florida home. I went home two weeks ago to NY and alas, the book went back to page one. Is anyone at Amazon reading these comments? I am very frustrated with my kindle.
Carol

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 11:09:32 AM PST
Same problem. Going to "Home" works. Thanks for that suggestion. Making a bookmark is good too. A stupid problem for such a useful and well-done device. The only other thing that annoys me is the keys for moving the cursor around. Made for someone with really pointy fingers!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Tourist forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Tourist
The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer (Hardcover - 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars (431)