Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle sharing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2009 5:30:53 AM PST
Amazon should allow LIMITED sharing between Kindle owners -- say three times for each download. So my father can share a book he downloaded on his Kindle with my two brothers and I, and we could share books we downloaded with him.

Right now, when we read a book we love, we pass it around. We don't all go out and buy our own copy. But I'll tell you what...my brother and I would buy our own Kindles (Dad has one) if we could share books faster than snail mail!

Sure might boost sales in this economy, too.

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 6:33:01 AM PST
Poppy says:
Erica, if you and your brothers all bought Kindles and linked them to your father's account, you could share all books that were purchased. Up to 6 Kindles on a single account can share any book that is purchased. It is kept on the Archived List of the original purchaser, and each Kindle can then download it for free to his or her own Kindle. Many families do this - I now have two Kindles, an Iphone and an Itouch listed as devices on my account, and they can all read the same book (at the same time, if we wanted to.)

The trick is that you must be linked by the account and use the same credit card. There are ways to have each of you pay separately (using gift cards, registering separate credit cards and switching between them, etc.) or many people just keep a pencil and paper list and send checks to a family member. Anyway, it can certainly work for you and your family members -so get those Kindles ordered!!

PS This does NOT work for periodical subscriptions - only books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 8:52:44 AM PST
Thank you, Poppy; this was SO helpful (and exciting to learn!!). Do you know...do all the Kindles have to be PURCHASED under the same account?

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 10:13:28 AM PST
Woody says:
No, I don't think the devices need to have been purchased on the same account, just registered on the same account. However, when you register a device on an account, you end up permitting the user of that device to purchase books from that device and charge them to your account.

There are some other nuances about registration/book licensing that you probably need to be aware of. I just started a separate thread about this but I'll repeat that post here for your convenience. (Sorry to anyone who is upset about the double post, but I thought it would benefit Erica to repeat it here. Sosume. ;-)

I just spoke with Kindle support and found out that registrations for the Kindle do not work the same as activations on Audible. Namely, once you have registered a particular book on six Kindles/iPods/iPhones, even if you unregister one you have still used up all your licenses for that book.

I have a 1st generation iPhone that I rarely use (my primary phone is an iPhone 3G) and was thinking of registering and moving content to it, assuming I could get the license back if I sold that iPhone, simply by unregistering the iPhone. Not so.

So just be careful how many devices you move content to, if you are like me and expect to buy new Kindle hardware/new iPhones as they are released.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 10:24:13 AM PST
Thank you, Woody! Thanks for risking tipping the boat with the double-post, too ;).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions