Kindle version more expensive than the book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2010 2:05:38 PM PDT
Shannon says:
Almost every kindle book I've purchased has cost $9.99. This one, however, costs $12.99 - $3 more than the paperback. That is a headscratcher to me. Think I'll go to the library for this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2010 3:46:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2010 3:47:04 PM PDT
Unfortunately, the publisher is the one setting the price on this book. For whatever reason, the publisher has chosen to give a bigger discount to paperbacks than to eBook editions. Best we can do is either wait until the prices change, or (as you mentioned) borrow it from a friend or from the library.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 12:30:27 PM PDT
Symonty says:
I am starting to get a "music publishers" feeling about the whole ebook thing, today I decided not to buy a book in protest of the stupidity or have a book for $9.99 ( with free next day delivery ) in physical form ( which I can lend , sell and otherwise really own ) to the e-version that is DRM and far less pleasant ( but more convenient? ) to read.

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 12:58:54 AM PDT
Amazon User says:
Annoying. The paperback is now $6.49. 50% of the price of the Kindle version. Regardless of who is to blame, this pricing structure doesn't make sense. I can understand that the paperback version costs less to manufacture and ship -- compared to the hardcover. However, they are cutting the legs from under the digital business. Publishers need to get more innovative if they want to increase margins and build a new, profitable business model.

I'd be willing to pay the $12.99 if it came as a combo pack with both the physical book, and a convenient digital Kindle copy to store and take on-the-go. Now there's an idea on how book manufacturers could provide more choice and value. But for $12.99, they offer me a locked-down book with less functionality. I choose to pass on the transaction entirely. And they choose to leave my money on the table.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 11:51:24 PM PST
have a look here. the kindle edition is a $10 more expensive than paper back

MCTS Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-667

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 4:55:55 AM PST
sam says:
Yep. It's crazy. If they were priced similarly I'd have gladly bought it, but since the publisher is sticking it to Kindle users I'll just find some other way to acquire the content (such as the library).

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 12:56:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2010 12:58:04 PM PST
J. Lee says:
This is kinda the stupidity of the book publishers... if they seriously priced the kindle version lower than the actual physical version of the books, they would sell so much more and actually help e-books as a whole start taking off more. Since personally, if I see an electronic version of a book priced higher than the physical version of a book, I know I'm being ripped off and will not even consider buying it. There are no production costs to "make" an e-book, very very low distribution costs, etc... This is where they're shooting themselves in the foot...

Really they should embrace it more like the movie / television industry is with downloaded movies and TV shows. For instance, perfect example... the AMC tv series "The Walking Dead"... at this time, the HD downloadable version is $14. The Blu-ray version is $32. People that may be not very interested in buying the Blu-ray version may consider the HD downloadable version since they don't have to put out as much money.

Like I said... the stupid book publishers are shooting themselves in the foot also considering the standpoint that electronic books are in their relative infancy with more widespread public acceptance. You want to INCREASE the amount of people that will want to jump in by lowering the price of the product...

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 11:46:42 PM PST
Alan J says:
Book publishers need to adjust to the idea that in the digital realm, the margins on individual products is not as important. Lowering prices on e-books does not necessarily lead to lower profits. If prices are low across the board, this often leads to higher quantities sold, which means greater profits because the cost of production is essentially just Amazon's 30% cut.

Likewise, cheap electronic textbooks are a viable alternative to expensive paper textbooks. The production of physical textbooks is a rough business because of limited market size and the fact that used textbooks and international editions eat severely into profits, not to mention the production and distribution costs. But an e-book textbook can be locked to its owner, guaranteeing near 100% new sales, at much lower cost per item. This also enables the sale of premium items, like physical book + e-book combos at a reasonable premium, rather than trying to sell such an item at twice the cost of the physical book to make up for the fact that the physical book can be immediately resold.

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 4:35:54 PM PST
I just made a comment elsewhere on this very issue.

I will reiterate it here since this is setting is far more appropriate.

Publishers, silly pricing schemes on your digital content only accomplishes this: I will not buy the higher priced electronic version, won't even think about the paper version and will most likely finding it readily avaible, electronically, elsewhere. I can that in about half the time it took me to log-in and post this comment. Continue this way and very soon I believe you will bring upon yourself what happened to the music industry, mass sharing. Also, since most of us feel screwed in this deal, I'm sure we'll have very little qualms over it.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 3:29:38 PM PST
P. Judge says:
Why not just read paperback? I've never read a kindle book and I have no desire to do so. They could never get away with overpricing a paperback book and it's a much better read than any e reader could give you. Why not go out to a bookstore or something? I don't mean borders, I mean a locally run bookstore. I've never had a problem with my "physical" copies and they've been a staple of civilization for thousands of years. I don't expect the kindle to change that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011 5:32:12 PM PST
Symonty says:
With my travel schedule, if i carried a book with me, the weight of each book will burn around 20lbs of fuel each year or around 300lbs of CO2.
Then multiply this by say 10 books I may want to read while traveling....
Of course I dont carry books I have a hard drive full of books that costs nothing to transport, kills no tress and produces no CO2 when flying.

:-)

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 8:14:17 AM PST
I'm trying to get organized and cutdown on clutter. I plan to purchase the Kindle version because I can't afford to have so many books buried in boxes and drawers where I would rarely use them. Considering the topic of this book it is very perplexing that they are charging me more for the convenience of having it in electronic format.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 7:30:59 PM PST
I believe in capitalism but this is robbery ... charging more for eBooks than the physical ones. It's a beautiful thing when we vote with our dollars by NOT putting up with this. I'm pleased that many other folks in this forum share the same thoughts.

Publishers, please change your ways or pay the price by forcing consumers elsewhere.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 4:25:51 PM PDT
I also refuse to buy any book that is listed for more than the paperback price. There is a fun new website up now http://lostbooksales.com/ that is starting to track lost sales. If you are annoyed enough, go here and submit your story. If they get enough people using it, it might become a great place for publishers to realize just how much their crazy pricing schemes are really costing them.

Posted on May 3, 2011 5:48:07 PM PDT
Yet another in a long list of books I won't be purchasing from Amazon. Amazon - push back. No publisher is going to leave a marketplace like Amazon simply because you won't accept the price of an e-book being higher than paper. Go Gutenberg!

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:42:06 PM PDT
I was going to buy this for my Kindle, but after seeing the price I won't. Ebooks should never ever cost more than the paperback. Even if most of the cost of a book is not the physical book, the cost savings of it not being physical should more than make up for the extra cost of formatting it for Kindle - therefore the Kindle price should never be more than the paperback period.

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 4:24:57 PM PDT
Crocuta says:
I'm with you guys on this one. I came here specifically to buy this book. I was hoping there would be a Kindle version because this is the kind of book that I can best read a bit at a time while sitting around a doctor's office, or whatever, rather than sitting down to read it in large chunks. If there hadn't been a Kindle version, I would have bought the paperback, but finding that there is a Kindle version, and seeing it so much more expensive than the paperback (and for a 10-year old book!), I have decided not to buy the book at all. I'm only one customer, but I choose not to give Mr. Allen and his company my money.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 9:35:16 AM PDT
Sarah Marks says:
I bought the digital (audiobook) because I wanted to listen to it during my commute (2 hours a day). However, the author keeps referring to a pdf file that supposedly accompanies this audiobook. I'm still waiting to hear from Amazon regarding the pdf...

<sigh>

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 6:37:09 AM PDT
R. Miller says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 7:33:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2012 7:38:45 AM PST
Todd Kuhns says:
@P. Judge...
Why not just pass it down from genration to generation by painting it on the walls? Or by memorized song?
It's been a staple of civilization for thousands of years. I don't expect the printing press to change that.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 1:13:27 PM PST
Cassiopeia says:
I agree with Crocuta. The two versions should at least be the same price, especially since digital costs so much less to produce. I'm going to just borrow my uncle's version, though if the Kindle version had been cheaper than the print I would have bought it. On principle, even though I can afford it, I choose not to give the publishers my business.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:29:11 AM PST
leo4jc says:
It is troubling to start to see kindle books that are *more* expensive than the paperback. Sigh.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:22:39 PM PDT
Whoever made the pricing decision needs help & some greed-counseling!

These are not the Dark Ages when people couldn't communicate: We are here with
solutions to share when we're not treated fairly as consumers. And we close our
wallets to unfair pricing and open our mouths to spread the word.

Besides, it is a wonderful thing to go to the library!

I recently bought my Kindle Fire &, in addition to Amazon, go to sites where the
book's copyright has expired or other sites that give free e-books. Anytime I
am purchasing & don't see a minimum of a $2-less for a Kindle, I move on!

More Power to the People, as we say.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 4:16:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2013 4:21:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 4:22:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2013 4:25:25 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen (Paperback - December 31, 2002)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,433)