Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 307 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2009 7:01:42 AM PDT
Evan G says:
Hey Amazon, why is the Kindle version ($8.79) a little over a dollar more than the paper version($7.12)? Makes no sense.

Link to kindle version since this page doesn't have it. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Deluxe Edition (Quirk Classics)

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 9:36:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2009 9:37:36 AM PDT
Agreed. Same here., but for another book (outside of topic, but meant to support your sentiment)
Daemons are Forever (Secret Histories, Book 2)

7.99 for paperback, a little over $10 for kindle (like 2.5 buck more)

Posted on May 15, 2009 1:21:47 AM PDT
Aethernaut says:
I similarly don't understand when Kindle books are the exact same price as the Mass Market paperbacks... they're not even using paper, why are they not cheaper?!

Posted on May 15, 2009 8:34:40 AM PDT
Well, I know the spiel about publishers setting the price (and probably true) but you can't tell me Amazon doesn't have pull. Printing cost some money (not that much in volume, per piece) and the shipping and storage, etc. On the other hand, I've held off buying a couple of "part 2"s with some books I've been reading waiting for that $5.xx or $6.xx price to kick in. Also, I guess, with "tangible" product, when they want to get rid of it to make more space, they are encouraged to drop the price. There is NO such pressure with eBooks. The one "copy" they have can take care of all their customers, now and forever. They take up no space at all. By their math (1.4GB usable memory in Kindle 2 for 1500 books), average 1000 books per Gig. 250 GB for 250,000 books. Heck, cut in half. 500 books per Gig. My one terrabyte here at home stores every eBook they current have for sale. We can only hope for enlightened self interest on their part (and hopefully, enough pressure to allow some alternate DRM for other booksellers or for the publishers to start selling DRM free books of acceptable formats elsewhere).

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 7:41:38 AM PST
I was going to buy a Kindle. I heard about 99 cent books, whatever. I buy 2 novels a week on average, more if there's lots of new stuff. I just bought Fire and Ice, Julie Garwood, for 10.50 CDN. Amazon sells it for 9.99 US which would end up costing me more with shipping unless I buy stuff I don't need. The Kindle version is MORE? I'm passing until someone sorts that nonsense out. And copyright laws or not, once a year I donate a 100 books to Goodwill, who resell them and it supports the charity. Can't do that with a Kindle, and my wife would have to take my Kindle to read my book and we'd fight and I'd get a black eye, and my head would hurt from the frying pan hitting me and she'd take it on the bus to work and I might as well not get one. OK. I get the point. It must be to impress your friends.

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 2:49:37 PM PDT
I understand keeping the Kindle price at $9.99 for newly released books and perhaps even new paperbacks, but once the books have been out for awhile please knock the price down!

It is ridiculous for a paperback to be more expensive than the Kindle version.

Amazon cannot earn my money when it is more enjoyable to physically peruse a bookstore and find actual books cheaper than the electronic version. I took my Kindle into the bookstore today and walked around shopping the Kindle store and comparing prices with books on the shelf... books on the shelf won every time (for books that had been out a few years).

But never mind my comparison shopping in my local Borders, look on Amazon's site and find a paperback version and compare prices with the Kindle version. Perhaps with shipping and handling the electronic version will be cheaper, but it should not be close enough to perform any rudimentary math. It should be obvious.

The eBook market can only grow, but it will grow much more slowly unless there are obvious benefits to actually buying the devices.

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 8:22:14 PM PDT
Joe Lucas says:
Come on you morons at Amazon. Why in the hell a kindle version of any BOOK should cost more than paper back? **** I am praying for APPLE to come up with something that will screw you. You are greedy. I bought kindle thinking that the books will be no more than the paper version. In fact I was expecting it a lot less than paper versions. Instead Jeff Bezos is milking unsuspecting customers. How could you go to sleep every day when you charge people like the communists in Soviet Union did. Come on Amazon, don't kill the golden goose. If you kill your kindle users, they will run to the other guy as soon as there is an other guy. Don't forget what happened to barnes and nobles.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 12:10:46 PM PDT
JC says:
I found some publishers set their kindle book price higher than paperback version. Some even double the paperback price. It is just ridiculous. I'm going to sell my kindle! I paid $260 up front for Kindle2 than I have to pay more for ebook which pretty much cost them nothing compare to paperback book. Paying more for less, it is just ridiculous.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 11:00:12 AM PDT
Maybe the publishers are trying to kill the Kindle by setting the price for the Kindle edition higher than the paperback edition. Maybe, I think, instead of selling my Kindle, I'll just stop buying books by these publishers.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 8:20:18 PM PDT
Fargo says:
I agree with some of these comments. It should be cheaper to have a digital book delivered than a paperback. I have been buying a few books on my iBooks for iPad that are cheaper than Kindle. Amazon, please do something to fix this with publishers. You can't tell me a small number of kilobytes costs more to produce than paperbacks.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 8:28:35 AM PDT
Lonesome Dove mass market paperback $7.99 (shipping free with Prime and no tax in NM)
Lonesome Dove kindle version $12.99 (some publishers taxing kindle book purchases)

Outrageous ripoff! The culprit --

This price was set by the publisher:
Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 3:55:05 PM PDT
M. Cesario says:
bn ebooks cost the same as kindle. i believe ebook pricing is a ripoff.

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 1:22:05 PM PDT
I am getting very upset that Kindle book prices keep increasing. Amazon, are you listening? Once this Kindle runs its course, I will not be purchasing another one until you do something about the e-book prices. Kindle versions are up to $13 when the mass market paperback lists for 7.99. We are not fools, and I am sure you are going to use a lot of customers.

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 1:30:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2010 1:34:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 12:50:21 PM PDT
H Reid says:
I was going to buy a book on my kindle app for iPad. It is $10 for the paperback, $17 for the kindle version. Why more for the electronic version? I'll drive to Barnes and Noble instead eat lunch on the way and spend the same price. No thank you! Get a clue!

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 12:50:23 PM PDT
H Reid says:
I was going to buy a book on my kindle app for iPad. It is $10 for the paperback, $17 for the kindle version. Why more for the electronic version? I'll drive to Barnes and Noble instead eat lunch on the way and spend the same price. No thank you! Get a clue!

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 10:13:49 PM PDT
J. Davey says:
Paperback $6.99
Kindle version $14.99
outcome: No sale
I have Kindle on my iPhone so it just means I will not purchase the book. Everyone loses.

Seriously though, people aren't realizing that its Apple that messed up the market when they agreed to allow publishers set prices on the iPad. Amazon had to match this or the publisher's wouldn't allow the sales of kindle versions of its books. Please people, at least read a paper every so often and know whats happening. Blame Apple

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 5:46:37 PM PDT
R. Scott says:
How can this be happening ?? Bought the original Kindle when it first came out and loved it......also, have had many, many people buy Kindles because of my enthusiasm. Now the prices are so out of sync......I just went to buy an older book and found that the Kindle price was 14.99, but the paperback price (from Amazon) was 7.99.

What is going on here ?? Is this going to continue this way ??

I just ordered a Kindle3 to take advantage of wifi and more contrast, but can not believe what is happening to the pricing of books. Is anyone from Amazon listening ?????

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 9:36:45 PM PDT
While of course I agree that it is absurd for a Kindle version to cost more than the paperback (or hardcover, rarely), that's not necessarily Amazon's preference. Do a Google search and you'll see that the publishers insisted that they be able to set ebook prices. We as end-users need to put pressure on the publishers and Amazon both (and Apple and BN as well if you're into their ebook stores) by buying neither when this occurs as well as griping. Problem is, though, that isn't necessarily happening. Take a look at the popular Eat, Pray, Love. The ebook price of $12.99 was set by the publisher, Penguin, as stated right on Amazon. The paperback is $7.99, notably cheaper. Yet the ebook is still best-selling, #15 among paid ebooks this week. (The paperback is #132.) That's certainly not telling Penguin that they should act otherwise in pricing.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 10:07:48 AM PDT
googull says:
Amazon had incredible power to set ebook pricing before Jobs lured the publishers in with the offer to let them set pricing. And they did! No doubt you can thank Apple for this mess.

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 6:34:27 PM PDT
Macnut says:
IMO the price of ebooks should be half of what the real book should be and I just read that there is no page on the Kindle. WTH is wrong with that?

Let me know when they correct this issues then I will buy one.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 7:42:15 PM PDT
I have to agree with all the other posters here. I was considering buying William Dalrymple's Nine Live: In Search of the Sacred in Modern India, but no way am I going to pay $7 more for the Kindle edition than the paperback. Very disappointed. Will tell friends.

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 10:37:14 PM PDT
I will be VERY careful to never ever order a Kindle book that costs more than the paperback

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 2:07:31 AM PST
I can only add my frustration about this. The Kindle may offer more comfort in reading, but we already pay for this with a hefty price tag for the required hardware, lack of ePub support (so we can't read rental ebooks), no reselling capability and no option of lending books to friends. To make good for these caveats, I would expect eBook prices to be half the price of the paper back editions!

If Amazon keeps that policy up, I'm afraid my Kindle will soon end up in the famous toybox of gadgets which weren't interesting for more than a few months ...

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 6:44:43 PM PST
Fredy Villa says:
I'm close to going back to printed books from my local store. It is outrageous that kindle editions are more expensive than printed copies.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  214
Total posts:  307
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (Paperback - 2009)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (817)