Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 302 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 28, 2011 7:24:04 PM PDT
S. Maertz says:
I used to buy most of my paperbacks from retail stores that sold them for 25% off the listed price. And that price is for all even the ones that are hot off the press or years old. These are not used books either.

I refuse to pay more for a Kindle or any e-book than I woul for a print copy.

i've found I'm reading a lot less so, Kindle, is in fact saving me a lot of money. (I used to buy two to four paperbacks a week.

Posted on May 9, 2011 10:37:09 PM PDT
polo says:
This is somewhat unrelated, but what do people think about the fact that:

1- Amazon won't let you sell your kindle used like you can sell used products anywhere on the website.

2- You don't actually own the books. Amazon goes bankrupt/hacked (hello sony?) next month, your kindle crashes, and you're scr***ed. All your books are gone.

I travel a lot, and the kindle definitely is really neat. I have tons of French classics in the public domain, as well as some philosophy and English classics, and a few recent non-fiction, too. The former wouldn't be really lost, but the latter...
Even just physically, it's a neat device...

But once you really start looking at it from every perspective, it makes less and less sense. Recent books are more expensive (unless you only read public domain), it's fragile and vulnerable (physically and electronically), and there are serious "digital ownership" potential issues.

What do you all think?

Posted on May 14, 2011 12:24:42 AM PDT
No one from amazon will speak to this. Stick to the e free and cheap books and buy paperbacks for the others until they feel the pinch.Or go to the library.

Posted on May 17, 2011 6:16:30 PM PDT
My fault, I should have checked what they are charging for E Books before I bought the Kindle......regretting that now. Unfortunately it looks like electronic book downloads are booming globally - can't see them lowering prices under these circumstances.

Posted on May 17, 2011 8:30:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 8:33:22 PM PDT
jd says:
I just dont get this type of pricing....the hardcover is only $1 more than the Kindle version? The paperback is $6 cheaper that the Kindle version. The Kindle version 3 years ago was only 10.99. How is it possible that the paper back is 6 bucks CHEAPER? Screw the publishers---I am returning to the LIBRARY.

Formats
Amazon Price New from Used from
Expand Kindle Edition -- $14.99 --
Expand Hardcover $15.88 $9.01 $0.56
Expand Paperback $8.65 $8.65 $6.29
Expand Audio, CD, Audiobook, Unabridged $37.80 $36.49 $24.43

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 2:35:37 AM PDT
Mr. Lin Cao says:
The kindle version is rubbish, science book cannot using it. the kindle version should be free with original book. idiot amazon manager

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 5:04:26 PM PDT
S. Turner says:
Amazon, you need to work with the publishers to stop trying to rip off the customers. I bought a Kindle for the convenience of having a lot of books at my fingertips, and (at the time) cheaper costs per book. There is no reason - other than greed - for the kindle version to be as much or more expensive than the physical book. There are no additional costs to maintain, 1 file provides everyone with a copy, and its easier to manage. This travesty is one reason why I hate copyright laws.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 7:41:41 PM PDT
polo says:
You know, after almost a year of Kindle 3, I've reached my optimal conclusion. Given that I travel a lot, the 3G worldwide/free/unlimited is invaluable. That's one BIG point. The other is that there are TONS of free books around (common domain... and not) and I mostly just get whatever I find and read it. I like to read, period. If there is something very specific I need, I'll just borrow it from the library. or buy it from Amazon if it's REALLY important.
Basically, I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on books for the kindle. It's just not worth it. But I treasure if for all the common domains and other free books scattered around the web.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 9:38:35 AM PDT
R. Farrell says:
It's silly that an ebook is 4 dollars more expensive than a paperback. Change your pricing policy.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 10:10:00 AM PDT
polo says:
There's obviously a good reason why this is happening: what if you looked at it the other way? What about Amazon/publishers/sellers underpricing the paperbacks?
After all, there's a huge competition pressure on the paper market, while there's a huge monopoly on the e-books market.
Anyway, take a look at this:

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2011/03/why-some-e-books-cost-more-than.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 3:11:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2011 3:14:56 PM PDT
alexbravo says:
There's a massive problem with the article you linked to. The writer claims that the publishers "left money on the table" with their ebook pricing, by using the following figures:

Wholesale model e-book:
Publisher: $12.50 (roughly 50% of $24.99 hardcover retail price)

Agency model e-book:
Publisher: $9.09 (70% of $12.99)

Here is the problem: originally, the publishers still wanted to make as much as they did on an ebook as they did on a hardcover ($12.50), but then went to agency model pricing to and are "settling" for $9.09.

They need to settle for a lot less than that when you figure their costs for printing and shipping are nonexistent for ebooks.

Yes, books retailers often lose or make no money on physical versions, which can make ebook prices more expensive. But the reason THAT is happening is that publishers are demanding substantially higher profits on ebook versions. Really, making $9.09 on an ebook version is equal in their balance sheets as when they make $12.50 on a hardcover? No way. There is more than $3.41 in savings when they sell an ebook; the rest is pure profit.

Publishers are reaping the benefits, and people need to stop making excuses for them. Piracy will eventually force them to price fairly, as happened in the music industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 3:41:12 PM PDT
Good question. Maybe we should take it to facebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 3:40:32 PM PDT
I agree. Whether it is the publisher, Amazon, or a collaboration setting the ebook price higher than the book price (the old Atlas shrugged, when the movie was coming out, had an ebook price as high as the hardback and more than twice the paper price. Now the paper is $9.99 but the ebook is double. the price. If we do not buy the ebook, they will not sell ebooks, they will not sell kindles, they will jawbone the publishers back to reality.

the cost of the kindle unit itself is also ridiculously high. Gillette has been successful for 50-60 years with the business adage "If you want to sell razor blades, give away the razor." It still works for them: a razor and 2 blades for $8, 3 replacement blades for $12. Amazon would do well to use the kindle unit as a loss leader in order to get people to buy books. till then, for my family, no kindle, no books for kindle.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 8:25:55 AM PDT
Hope everyone understands that Amazon does not set the price on the ebooks. The publisher does. Amazon has asked them to aggressively price the books, but publishers want you to go out and purchase the paperback copy of the book rather than the ebook version because they make more money on the paperback, and they need to move the paperback off the shelves of the bookstores, so the bookstores wont ship them back at a loss. So it behooves the publisher to set the price of a kindle book higher than the paperback price so that they can move product in the stores. They think that if they set it higher for the Kindle, you'll complain about the price (which amazon has nothing to do with) and purchase the book at a local bookstore.
Always remember, selling books via bookstores (and walmart, and target, etc) is a consignment deal. If the bookstores don't sell the books in a certain matter of time, they can return the remaining books AT COST to the publisher, and the publisher just has to eat that cost. That's not the case with ebooks. They can sit there forever.
So you're probably saying, "Well why don't they just all epub the books?"
Good question. Very good question.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 12:04:48 PM PDT
Mark Fellows says:
Jason, thanks for the info, but it doesn't make any sense what so ever. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying that logic makes no sense. Why? Because how can a publisher make less on a digital version of a book that they don't have to send to a printer to print, and bind? A printer employs 100 of people. Then there is delivery costs to get the books to stores. This all happens in mark ups at the book seller. To deliver a book digitally, you need servers, and bandwidth, and a tech person, and empty building. You can sell a lot more books, more quickly, so your cost per unit goes way down....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 12:14:34 PM PDT
Mark, I completely agree with you, it makes no sense. The deal is, the publishing industry is completely jacked up right now. You're 100% correct that it costs practically nothing for them to digitally publish a book, and there's no inherent risk of returns either. But depending on how the contracts are set up, they can make less profit per book (as amazon take its cut, and the writer gets her cut).

I agree, it is silly and stupid the way they are going. And it's hurting us the consumer.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 9:32:37 AM PDT
Ginger says:
Until Kindle links to public library systems, I will not purchase it. I refuse to pay more for e-books than printed copies. A shameful ripoff.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 2:41:01 PM PDT
I agree that the kindle price should be less than the printed.......that's why I bought it. Shame on me for not exploring the pricing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 2:42:45 PM PDT
alexbravo says:
Ellis, no shame on you, shame on the greedy publishers. And the people who continue to pay the inflated prices.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:01:18 AM PDT
Kudos to Amazon for playing an integral part in contributing to Global Warming. Not a believer in all of the Carbon Tax etc., but surely, the environmental cost of using Kindle over paperbacks should be of a greater consideration than the economic price. But as many have stated before, perhaps it is just the publishers attempts to save paper-back books and kill of e-books - so, in reality it is the publishers who want to contribute to warming the planet!

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 7:29:28 PM PDT
MissM says:
If you haven't done this yet, please contact Kindle customer service to complain about this. I e-mailed yesterday telling them I felt stupid and cheated for having to pay more money to read a book on a device I had to pay $139 for, specially when their advertising states that Kindle books are cheaper.

Unless this changes, I will be selling my device and will buy a Kobo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 7:38:11 PM PDT
MissM says:
While I get this, Amazon sold us a product largely by implying book prices were lower. By allowing these prices to soar like they are, Amazon is taking very poor care of those customers who, by buying a Kindle, automatically gave them their loyalty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 9:13:10 PM PDT
Yep, paper at Barnes and Noble.....it will only take the change on 30 books to make up the difference. :)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:42:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 11:44:24 AM PDT
jwitt98 says:
There is absolutely no reason an e-book should cost more than a paperback or hardcover. It's ridiculous to even think about. There are no printing, shipping, or storage costs associated with an e-book. There is a tiny amount of digital storage and bandwidth cost which is insignificant compared to the cost of a printed version. What a rip-off for the consumer who buys an expensive kindle only to find out that you have to pay more for the e-book version.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 3:05:31 AM PDT
My guess is that the publisher wants you to buy the books they have printed and sitting in storage, so they want you to have the discussion you have now, and decide not to buy the kindle version. But at least they made a kindle version, even if they aren't encouraging it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  209
Total posts:  302
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (Paperback - 2009)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (764)