Kindle version: formatting problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2009 6:44:54 AM PDT
cyli says:
I did not want to post this in the reviews section, because I haven't actually read the whole book, just the Kindle sample. I want to note that there are a bunch of formatting problems, and wanted to warn people before they bought the Kindle version of the book.

It seems that any time the text is formatted differently (italicized, underlined/bolded, etc.), the differently-formatted text is surrounded by line breaks. So for instance, at locations 820-25, you get something like:

[text]... "(See

chapter 20 [this part was underlined]

,or a discussion of the reasons.)"

This happens every few pages on the Kindle version.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 7:47:06 AM PST
MissDonut says:
I agree with the above poster. I actually bought the Kindle version and now wish I didn't. I borrowed the book from the library and liked it enough to own a copy. I thought the Kindle version would be a smart idea for a bigger size reference book--save the shelf space, less money--but I wish I had a hard copy instead. In addition to formatting issues (and there are several) this is a book I want to read by jumping around to whatever topic is applicable to me at the time, but the Kindle doesn't make that as easy to do as I had thought it would. For one, the Go to TOC command doesn't work with my book. Instead I have to go to the cover and click forward through the pages until I get to the part of the TOC I'm looking for. It would be much faster to flip through in a hard copy, plus once I'm familiar with a book I usually remember about where in the pages a certain section falls. I don't recommend the Kindle version for this book, and based on my experience I probably won't be using my Kindle for reference books in general.

Posted on May 3, 2010 6:53:10 PM PDT
Thanks for the warning(s) about the kindle version, as I was very interested in it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa0b3b138)

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2009
Latest post:  May 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson (Hardcover - November 4, 1999)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (322)