Kindle version more expensive than Paperback? Wow, Simon and Schuster can go to hell.
asked by Usni on March 11, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
The fact that the Kindle price for this book (Team of Rivals) is $2.00 higher than the paperback is preposterous. The publisher doesn't have to print, bind, or ship the Kindle version, and they have the audacity to charge more for it? Amazon should have sufficient clout that it can pressure publishers to price the Kindle books lower than both the paperback and hardcover versions. Shame on Amazon for allowing this to happen. Protect your consumers! The lower price of Kindle books was half the reason I wanted the Kindle (which I received as a gift). Perhaps I should return my Kindle and go purchase a Nook on which I can at least borrow books from my local library and read the wildly popular .epub format.
R. Kooi answered on June 14, 2011

A
vote
I was going to buy this book, but will not pay the ridiculous price. In face I am sorry I ever got my Kindle. I am paying physical book prices (or more!) for electronic books that I can not sell, give to a friend, donate, or display. I am tired of the whole whining of authors and publishers that they could not possibly price them less as it would be unfair. Really? No shipping, no printing (with all of the associated overhead costs)? What percentage of regular book prices are eliminated by going electronic? Kindle books should be half the physical book price.
Kalman Pipo answered on May 13, 2012

A
vote
I have noticed this difference in prices with many other books lately. The price for Kindle books is HIGHER than the paperback book. This one is probably the most ludicrous, though. I will NOT be buying this book on my Kindle. Who is responsible for this? The publisher or Amazon?
teacher answered on October 21, 2012

A
votes
It says right under the book price "price is set by the publisher." In other words, Amazon is saying "don't complain to us."
T. Roach answered on November 12, 2012

A
votes
I too am dismayed at these pricing policies.
I logged on to Amazon to find the price of Team of Rivals and saw it as $9.99 for the Kindle edition. I clicked to purchase and, once I logged in to my account, was informed that the price in my country is different. I live in Canada and for some reason Amazon (or the publisher) sees fit to charge me $21.38 for the same product!
Regardless of whether Amazon or the publisher sets these prices this is outrageous! To Amazon's credit they did not simply process the payment without warning me of this price difference but come on, a 114% difference in price simply because of my location? I have no idea what taxing laws may come into play here but I can't think of any justification for this type of gauging. Electronic distribution was supposed to be the leveller that could eliminate these kinds of discrepancies.
Needless to say, at $10 I would have purchased, at $21 I won't. Get it together Amazon. You certainly have the clout with publishers to dictate that inequities like this are not acceptable.
Dimitri Harvalias answered on November 17, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›