Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2010 2:19:28 PM PDT
Mr Pepper says:
My first gen Kindle will not turn on. We charged it overnight. The light is on , so I'm thinking the charger is working. How do I reset it or reload?
Thanks
Glenn

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 12:31:04 AM PDT
Mary E. Lacy says:
I am trying to check my Kindle before leaving on a long trip tomorrow and it is not picking up my wireless. I am on my laptop so know my wireless is working but when I try to open a book, it is a blank page. The battery is fully charged.......

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 1:57:27 PM PST
Sean Sears says:
I can't get my Kindle to wake up either. DId you figure it out, Glenn?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 5:45:03 AM PST
S. Sharrocks says:
Press power switch for at least 15 seconds and release, this should re set device. Connect to mains and it should re load
again ( wait until curser moves across screen completely).

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 10:33:26 PM PST
Thanks Sharrocks! Holding it for fifteen seconds did the trick!

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 4:51:38 PM PST
I have a question: the people that are having trouble and having to reset/reboot it do you have a kindle cover on it? I have noticed that if I don't have mine in the case I have no problem with it powering on everything but if it is in the cover it will not power on 9 out of 10 times I try

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 12:58:42 AM PST
thanks, it is now loading again

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 5:19:27 PM PST
Mine does the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 8:36:40 AM PST
L. Cantor says:
Thanks S. Sharrocks. It worked!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 7:17:50 AM PST
Thanks for this information which helped me too after 48 hours of charging without success.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 7:52:42 PM PDT
It's been working fine for two months and now will not come on. The power switch is yellow, even came on green for a bit, but no image. Have held the switch for 15 seconds, etc. Have it outside the Amazon cover. Can't find that hole for the paper clip.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 12:45:54 PM PDT
i am having the same problem. i have had the kindle since christmas and it has only frozen once. if u have found a solution to your kindles problem will you please let me know

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 8:31:24 AM PDT
CB says:
I contacted Amazon with the same problem. They say there is a problem with the cover. They will credit you for the old one, and the shipping, and you get to buy a new cover which coincidentally, has a LIGHT. Perhaps they are trying to switch us all over to lighted covers? Not to make money--perhaps there have been folks noticing eye strain even though the newest kindle has better contrast. I have noticed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 1:34:49 PM PDT
Thank you so much!! I contacted Amazon with the problem. I did not have to send the old cover back (why should I? It doesn't work anyway.) they credited my credit card for $35.00 AND gave me a $25 credit so I got the new cover for FREE!!

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 2:58:11 PM PDT
How do contact Amazon with your problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 5:03:37 PM PDT
Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851
Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

I cut and pasted this from their Kindle support under Kindle covers. Good luck!

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:01:05 PM PDT
Remi908 says:
I freaked out today when I couldn't wake Kindle up!! After reading several discussion boards, I held the power switch for 20 seconds. He finally woke up...yay me! However, Kindle continued to reboot while I was reading. Contacted Amazon via the 866 number listed by Patricia. They were very helpful and confirmed that my Kindle cover was probably causing the issues. They credited my account to replace the cover and are going to call to confirm there is indeed no problem with Kindle himself. Couldn't be happier with the customer service! I LOVE KINDLE!

Posted on May 8, 2011 8:22:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2011 8:23:06 PM PDT
C. Fisher says:
My kindle will not wake up and I have charged it for a while. I tried to reboot it by holding the switch for 15 seconds on the charger and off it. I took off my case and tried that as well but it still will not wake up.

Posted on May 16, 2011 5:25:05 PM PDT
Took the cover off held switch for 20 seconds and seems to work, called Amazon,1-866-321-8851, went thru 1 menu selection, 3, on hold for about 20 seconds, mentioned the cover issue and was told i would be credited the cost of the cover plus shipping. I will post when I get new cover.

Posted on May 28, 2011 9:54:49 AM PDT
Followed all the above instructions to no avail. All I have is the screen saver. Called amazon. They are sending me a new kindle quickly ( I am getting married and wanted it for my honeymoon. They were courteous and very understanding. Best customer service.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 6:46:23 PM PDT
Debbie says:
Totally freaked when mine didn't wake. Thank goodness for this site! Mine didn't wake in 15 seconds, took about 20 so be patient. I always have mine in the case, thanks for the tips on taking it out and getting a new one.....read on !

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 4:48:08 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I have had to replace my kindle once alredy. half of the screen on the last one froze and on the newer one the whole screen seems to have froze. I have held the swich for 15 seconds but nothing happens. even 20+ seconds didnt work!! I may just need a 3rd one!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 9:11:18 AM PDT
Same thought...mine is in the kindle leather cover with the light. Could not get it to wake until I took it out of the cover! Have had approx 3 occasions when it would not wake. Today is the first day I could not reboot with removal from the case.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 8:32:26 PM PST
Same thing with mine. I don't use a cover. I am disabled. This thing literally just sits by my bed. All it shows is Mark Twain. Won't reset. If it wasn't for the battery life, I would just wait it out and hope it hard resets the display. It's still connected to the wifi network. So I think it is only the display. And like I said, this thing sees no physical stress at all. One thing I wonder about is whether the display interface, however that works for e-ink displays, gets loose. If it lacks power, does the ink not fade? It must still connect to power and ground. So is there some other connection for i/o? I have to assume the power button connects directly to the battery. So hard reset *should* work as soon as it discharges. So could it be resetting but that display is not connected?

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 11:00:04 AM PST
Barbara says:
My Kindle DX is a replacement by Amazon for year-old original that had a broken button. New one doesn't work as perfectly regarding charging and waking from sleep. It is 4 months old.
I discovered the USB outlet on the Kindle does not hold the plug firmly and in order to charge, I stand Kindle vertical and make sure the USB is perfectly straight up - need to prop both cord and Kindle so they stay vertical and light stays on. If the light goes off, readjust. When light turns green, it is charged.
Not waking from sleep is new for mine - just started that last week. I'll try the 15-second hold and also remove cover. It does seem to help if I charge it first whether it needs it or not.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for all the info.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  43
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about