5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any kid
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:55 Mins
I highly recommend this game for any kid, content is appropriate, and gameplay is fun, really really fun. See it for yourself. I am impressed at how much my kids get benefit from this game, specially in motor skills, coordination, balance, discipline, self control.
Published on April 22, 2012 by Cecilia Marcano

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very responsive
Published on April 21, 2012 by Noname

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any kid, April 22, 2012
Cecilia Marcano (Caracas, MI Venezuela) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:55 Mins

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, immersive, 3D, and sore shoulder, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I bought this game for my kids, who played through Lego Star Wars, followed Clone War series, and loved to battle with other kids using the light saber toys. Like any "teen" rated games and movies, I do the screening since my kids are pre-teen. This review is based on me playing almost 3 hours finishing the story mode (campaign mode), and about 1 hour on other features. And I swear I nearly popped my shoulder twice swinging too hard!

The story mode is branched off from the prequel trilogy, sometime within the Clone Wars. It starts with basic training and then gets on with the action. You can start as a "Padiwan" or "Jedi". In Padiwan mode, if you die in a battle you get re-spawned immediately and continue battle without restarting from a checkpoint. This is obviously designed to minimize frustration and keep the momentum of the story. The battle with enemies can be on a spaceship or on planet surface. There are no shortage of space and land vehicle battles as well. The actions are almost non-stop. The most resting time I had are during longer cut-scenes and loading next chapter.

This story mode reminds me of Time Crisis series on PlayStation consoles. When finished battling one section, the story automatically "fast forward" and take you to the next area, even though that next area is few foot steps away. There is no full directional movement options with your body or use of a physical controller. The story mode is good to go through once or twice. But after that, I think most people will just go to battle in the Duels of Fate mode, race and bump in the Podracing mode, or go be a Rancor to level buildings and throw things around. The Rancor Rampage is really fun if you are in a destructive mood, and you can actually do a full 360-degree directional movement which couldn't be done in story mode. As for the Galactic Dance Off mode in front of Jabba? Well, it's a mini dance game with Star Wars characters in front of Jabba (first location). It's definitely intriguing! If I have a party and use one of the Kinect Dance off games, I would love to see the expressions of the party guests when I pop this in unexpectedly!

Generally, the graphics (cartoon'ish) is pretty much same of the Clone Wars cartoon series. Music is Star Wars derived. As far as controls go, it's Kinect! The good is the ability to perform like a Jedi during battle to get that in-the-action experience. The bad? Well, typical Kinect recognition issue. With an optimal light and well calibrated sensor, I think I got 90%+ accuracy. Of course, the time Kinect doesn't recognize seem to always be making that final strike to kill an enemy!

The game is fun for me at first, but 3 hours into the story mode I wasn't quite as enthusiastic battling the same way over and over again... Maybe after my sore shoulder recovers! I've seen enough of the action and the language to deem it acceptable for my pre-teen kids. I actually think the game is enjoyed most by kids, especially mine who like to participate in light saber battle.

In terms of soreness/calorie burning index (if there is one), this game is up there... Not only lots of swinging, but a lot of jumping (to strike from behind). It's not far from fitness games since player tends to over exert in battle!

*UPDATE 1: Kids Play*
---------------------
My two grade level kids played 1/3 of the Dark Side rising story mode so far, and they loved it. One tends to use force to defeat enemies, and the other prefers to charge, swinging lightsaber, jump, and flip. Both are difficult to pry away from the game. This game will be the favorite with their friends for sure.

*UPDATE 2: 3D Play*
--------------------
I got to setup Xbox/Kinect with my 3D Sharp XV-Z17000 1080p Projector on 125-inch screen. For comparison purposes, I use a PS3 for 3D blu-ray movies as well as games in 1080p mode. The main menu of this game goes into 1080p mode, but each game feature changed the display mode to 720p. For true assessment, I put my projector in native mode, which means 720p is shown at around 70" instead of 125". I've also set to the highest 3D depth option (there are low, medium, and high 3D).

* Story and Duel modes: The character you are playing is clearly separated from the rest. Others moving objects have a little bit of depth (consistent with most games supporting 3D). All cut scenes/movies are in 2D, which are also normal for other 3D games. However, for this game there are a lot of short video clips (2-5 seconds) that are mixed with game play, makeing it hard to really appreciate any subtle 3D effects. Overall I don't think 3D adds much to these games.

* Rancor Rampage: in this game also everything are pretty much in-screen, but 3D depth is more pronounced. Probably because Rancor is such a big object.

* Dance Off: The three characters dancing on the floor in front of Jabba are separated from the rest. The final hold produce a flash that has a little bit of out-of-screen (OOS) effect.

* Pod Racing: Now this one has the most pronounced 3D. To the best of my estimation, the player's vehicle has about 3/4 of the chasis out-of-screen! There appear good delineation between vehicles on the side and immediate front. There are also times I can see the debris ahead as clear 3D objects as well. The final winners' podium is nicely presented 3D for the first, second, and third place drivers. Heck, the entire podium seems to be lifted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very responsive, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm a huge Star Wars fan and was so looking forward to "Star Wars Kinect." I was a little disappointed with the responsiveness of the game to my movements, especially with lightsaber duels. The characters don't mimic my movements at all. When I want to attack with a lightsaber, I swing my arm wildly until my character attacks. That's about it. This should really be the best part of "Star Wars Kinect." It's not.

The podracer pretty much goes where it should as long as my arms stay in front of me. I learned not to try to steer, because I just go the wrong way. Keep my arms in front and I run the course. My son, of course, is flailing his arms beside me, but I think I do better in the race for not having any motion at all. Not too exciting.

"Rancor Rampage" is a little better with detecting my movements, but I don't enjoy playing a rancor. We get to stomp around destroying buildings and throwing people around. It's like being King Kong. No fun.

By far the best player responsiveness happens in "Galactic Dance Off." It's like any other Kinect dance game, except we get to dance with Leia, Lando and Han. The dance movements are Star Wars themed. Have you ever wondered how to do the Chewy Hug or the Mynock? Now's your chance. Of all the games, I like "Galactic Dance Off" best.

On the positive side, my ten year-old son really loves this game. It gives me a good workout and he moves around more than I ever see him move with any other Kinect game. If you want your kids to get something physical in while playing video games, this would be one way to do it.

"Star Wars Kinect" can be played by one player, but it's more enjoyable with two players. It is fun to play "Star Wars Kinect" with my son, mostly because I have someone to listen to me while I complain. Just wish it was more responsive. That would make worlds of difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars LET'S FACE IT..., November 16, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
most of us bought this game to use the lightsaber. truth be told, that aspect of the game is a letdown. i have a collection of other kinect games so i know pretty much what to expect for responsiveness, and was hoping with the amount of time put into development and the big names behind this game, it would be a step forward. really though, use of the lightsaber is not very satisfying. you really have no control, other than to swing your arm back and forth like a maniac. there's no skill involved (again, i know kinect is a new technology and they have a long way to go, but i was hoping that this particular game would have made some improvement.), you are forced to face a certain direction, most of the swings you make aren't translated correctly and you are very limited in the kinds of saber attacks. the whole game seems to be a matter of swinging your arm wildly, jumping, ducking, and holding out your arms for force moves. i found some of the riding/speeder sections to be more fun than the lightsaber duels.
i will say that the game is still fun to go through, being part of the star wars world, the characters and robots, the music, and accurate or not it's still fun to swing the saber for a while. i don't regret buying it to have it as part of my collection, and i'll definitely finish the game and try the mini-games (have not had a chance to do that yet), and when my niece and nephews come to visit i'm sure we'll have some fun with it. it's just a shame that the lightsaber action couldn't be a LITTLE bit more advanced.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Fun Game, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I don't know why people complain so much about this game. When I got the game I didn't expect much due to the reviews. I just got it because I wanted to try it.

While it took a little getting used to at the beginning of the Jedi Destiny mode, I eventually got into it and really started to enjoy it. (Too many cutscenes though and more action would have been nice). While wielding your lightsaber you can change forms and the swinging speeds vary based on it. You can use the force on your off-hand by either grabbing opponents and objects or by utilising force push. (You can also charge the force push into a more powerful push). Even dodging and deflecting had great response time when I was playing. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed the saber-wielding portions of the game the most. I just wish movement were based off of the player walking on his own rather than a rail system. The rancor rampage mode exhibits that quite well if you ask me. As far as the rest of Jedi Destiny mode is concerned, (speeder piloting, turret control, and fighter piloting), I wasn't that impressed with it. I guess it's just not my thing. But it did remind me of the adventure in A New Hope.

As far as the Rancor Rampage mode is concerned... I have to say that the movement was fantastic! The rancor walks forward as you walk in place and it runs as you lean down and walk. You can pick up bystanders and either eat them or toss them at things. Buildings crumble with each mighty blow and you can pound on the ground to clear our surroundings. If you have anger issues, this is the mode to play! Get experimental with it! It's loads of fun and great exercise. (The cutscenes at the beginning are kind of humourous to watch as well).

The saber dueling mode was kind of cool. This took a while for me to get into because I didn't know you could dodge, jump, and throw objects at your opponent while in this mode. Saber locks were frustrating before I realised that there's a spark on the saber while you're locked and you make your move while the spark is close to the point where the sabers are locked. (A tutorial on this would have been nice). Anyway, after figuring out all the things I can do this mode, I really was able to play through and get a pretty decent workout from this too.

As for my favourite mode... I'd have to say podracing. And this game as a surprise considering that I've never really enjoyed any of the podracing games in the past. However, the Kinect made this very fun for me. Take the tutorial at the beginning of the Destiny mode. Once you get used to the controls and how the game mode works, start taking off some of the assists like: Auto-steering, Auto-Breaking, lower speeds... (just look in options to optimise your experience). The quickplay mode is just as fun except that you get to choose from different racers, each with their own set of stats. I hope you enjoy.

Lastly, if you expect to take this game too seriously, you probably won't like it. If you're looking to just have fun, however, you'll love it! This game has provided me with hours of entertainment and continues to do so. I still look forward to a more serious Star Wars game centered more around being Jedi than anything else with a more immersive storyline. When I was thinking Star Wars on the Kinect, I was thinking more about the ultimate Star Wars Unleashed experience. Hopefully next time...

3.0 out of 5 stars Above average... almost good. Not even close to great, April 4, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Honestly, the dancing is the most responsive and probably the most worked on part of this game. Unfortunately, I would have to say probably the most fun part too. Had they spent the energy they put into the dancing portion into the main stories responsiveness/saber fighting/force portions of the game I think it could have been a great game. I don't think people buy this for dancing, but it sure feels like lucas arts spent most of their time on this one section. I would be fine with it being in the game if the other sections were done better. They just aren't.

The fighting is not as responsive as other games. You can finally do what they want you to do and get the controls to work, but it doesn't feel natural. It is cumbersome and not fun. I know in training mode when you start to get the hang of it and want to try a couple more times they say you are ready. I only wanted to try a couple more times, but they only let you do it twice and tell you that you have "mastered" your training. I feel let down wanting to try a couple more times, but don't question yoda. You are ready! The force is kinda cool when you get it to work. One time the force will work fluidly, but the next it won't even register your actions even though you are doing exactly what you were before. They seem to only let you fight 1-2 mintutes tops before they inject you into a space flight battle or speeder battle. They have a pod racing section just for this so why not put more fighting bots and sith?

Pod racing feels responsive and a lil too easy although I know there are more advanced settings. It does feel like a rush because it is so responsive while racing. You are like flying on your screen. update: wow, this is tiring on your arms.

I haven't played the rancor section, but I'm sure its good bashing fun. update: I did play it today and it is fun. Reminds me of the incredible hulk game on the original xbox, but with kinect controls.

Dancing I thought would be goofy and lame. It really was fun and they did a weird al like spin on a lot of popular R&B songs. Like Genie in a Bottle by Christina A. is now a Princess in a Battle. Lyrics are a lil comical.

I've been waiting for this game for a while now, but it just doesn't do it for me. That all being said it is still one of the better kinect games out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I am not sure what the negative reviews are all about. My kids are younger, and I was worried about the Teen rating, but it does not seem to be inappropriate for them (ages 5 and 7), and they love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game but......, July 8, 2012
Tim Capps (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a GREAT game - the action is top notch and the graphics are awesome. It's very engaging. The kinect controls are mostly good - just follow the instructions on keeping the room dark and an open space. I had some issues getting the kinect to recognize me but that was more my fault. The only issue I have is the length of the game - I finished it in 3 days, and I didn't play more than 1 1/2 hours a day. I am hoping that future games will be longer but still its a great game plus you have extras like Duels which is fun...... I recommend this game but be aware its not a long drawn out game......

4.0 out of 5 stars A better exercise game than most exercise games, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'll admit, after playing every movie tie-in game from Ghostbusters on the Apple II to Kung Fu Panda on the Kinect, I've grown a bit weary of them. Game publishers seem to know that they can produce a sub-par gaming experience, but as long as it contains characters and loose tie-ins to popular movies, they'll still sell a bundle.So my expectations for Star Wars Kinect were very low. Perhaps that's the best way to approach this game. If you go in expecting precise light saber control, graphics on par with the movies, or even a decent storyline, you'll likely be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want a game where you can build up a really, really good sweat and be moderately entertained in the process, you are going to want to add this one to your collection of Xbox Fitness games.

The game has several playing modes. The main mode is the story mode called "Jedi Destiny". The storyline takes place somewhere between the first and second movie. The story begins with the familiar Star Wars scrolling introduction and music. You're a young padawan being trained to be a Jedi due to the increase in the power of the dark side. You start by flying to the Wookie planet, where you meet Yoda, who leads you through the training. You actually meet a lot of familiar Star Wars characters, from Chewbacca to C3P0 and R2D2 to Mace Windu. Voice acting is passable but not great.

The training, of course, is mostly your getting acclimated to using the Kinect for gameplay. You get to start with controlling your light saber. Being able to foist a "real" light saber is of course one of the most anticipated features of any motion control Star Wars game, but in the case of Kinect Star Wars it's unfortunately one of the most disappointing. You never really feel in control of the light saber-for example, regardless of how you move your hands and arms the light saber will just make a "slashing" motion. Eventually you just learn that you have to flail your arms wildly to use the light saber (whether to deflect lasers shot toward you or to slash opponents in hand-to-hand combat). You do have some rudimentary control over high and low positioning of your light saber strikes and blocks, but precise one-to-one light saber control is probably something best done on the Playstation Move more so than the Kinect.

Happily, the rest of the game is perfectly suited for the Kinect. On the Wookie world, you go through an obstacle course where you learn to run (actually, just taking a step forward), kick, jump, and crouch, skills which you'll need throughout the game. A little icon will appear in the game any time you need to do any of these things.

By far the coolest feature of Kinect is when you use "The Force". You rear back with your left hand and point at an object (or villain) until it glows, and then you push forward to send it flying. This takes getting used to, but once you've mastered it you really feel like you can use the force anywhere (after playing the game I even tried using the force to grab my coffee mug from across the table...it didn't work). The inadequacy of light saber controls is mitigated somewhat by the ability to "force push" your opponents or hurl objects at them while you're striking them with the light saber.

You eventually learn other combinations; jumping while hurling your light saber down, for example, causes an earth-shattering effect that renders your opponents confused, which is especially handy for the tougher opponents. Here's an example of what happens when you put it all together:

Something else you get to do is fly a speeder bike through the forest. This too is a blast. You basically hold your arms out in front of you and steer by tilting your body left and right. You accelerate by leaning forward and brake by pulling back. You shoot enemies just by putting them within your sights (the gun will go off automatically, so there's no buttons to push). Later in the game you'll engage in space combat, where you man a gun turret a la Luke in the original Star Wars. Again, this is just a matter of leaning your body to control the gun scope.

I'll be honest-the storyline is very weak, to the point where by the second mission I lost pretty much any interest in what was going on. Something else that annoyed me was that the action seemed forced and gratuitous at times. For example, you'll spend minutes fighting off hordes of enemies, your droid companion will says something like "well, it looks like we got all of them", and then a whole new batch of enemies will magically appear. After this happens repeatedly, you start getting annoyed, as if you're swatting off swarms of mosquitoes rather than having meaningful battles.

But I have to admit, with the exception of Kung Fu High Impact and "pure exercise games" like The Biggest Loser or Your Shape, I don't think I got as good a workout with any other game. As other reviewers have noted, the physical activity in this game is intense. You're working out your upper body when you use your light saber to slash or to block, when you're controlling a pod racer or a spaceship, and even when you're using your "Force Grip" to hurl objects. You're getting a decent lower body workout every time you step forward to "run", and especially when you jump to leap over objects or to make the earth shatter with your light saber.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by Star Wars Kinect. Unlike most other Kinect games, this one seems to have gotten past the "Hey, isn't the Kinect cool!" type of game play and really uses the Kinect in new and inspired ways. The Kinect is obviously an integral part of the game and with the exception of light sabers seems to add a lot to the game. Granted, it's not a perfect game. The story line is weak and even tedious at times, and there is the noticeable lag that most of us have gotten used to with just about any Kinect game. But if you can get over these annoyances the workout value is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars This force is strong with this one!, July 9, 2012
P. B. Terry (Turlock, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is too much fun on the kinect. Do you have what it takes to be a jedi? Maybe? Maybe not! Swing a light-saber and use the force to vanquish the bad-guys in a star-wars environment that is detailed and exciting. Recommendation - play with a friend or limit your play-time. This game is adicting as it is so much fun and such a beautifully rendered environment. The only downside is that it is a very very active game and you can get winded and sore very quickly (hence the recommendation to play with a friend that you can swap out with) or limit your play time. So get up off the couch and use the force )for good of course!. 5-star recommendation for gameplay, graphics, overall experience.

Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360
Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 by LucasArts (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $18.14