Kinect standalone power supply now available from Microsoft

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 6:55:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2010 6:57:02 AM PST
The Kinect Sensor Power Supply provides power and connectivity to an Original Xbox 360 Console to make sure you can continue using your Kinect anywhere, anytime. Even if you leave your power supply at a friend's house by mistake, you don't have to worry. You now have a backup power supply. $34.99
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Kinect-Sensor-Power-Supply/product/9A4CFC08

Unfortunately it's currently out of stock

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 5:00:32 AM PST
Sparkle says:
I was told by a K-mart electronics employee that you have to buy the new xbox to use the kinect sensor, he said it would not work with the current x-box. He also said you can't use the kinect games with the current version. Is that true?

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 6:15:18 AM PST
L. Atwell says:
What is Kinect?
Kinect brings games and entertainment to life in extraordinary new ways - no controller required. The Kinect is a camera and sensor that hooks up to your Xbox 360 and tracks your movement, turning your body into the controller. Easy to use and instantly fun, Kinect gets everyone off the couch moving, laughing and cheering. See a ball? Kick it. Control an HD movie with a wave of the hand. Want to join a friend in the fun? Simply jump in. With Kinect, technology evaporates, letting the natural magic in all of us shine. And the best part is Kinect works with every Xbox 360.

This information was cut and pasted from the XBox 360 Kinect webpage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:29:59 AM PST
J. Rogers says:
@J. Hughes

That's not correct at all, they are just trying to get you to buy a new Xbox. The kinect works with 1st generation Xbox 360s as well as the new "slim' models. Here's a link to the Xbox website, which confirms this.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Kinect/kinectforxbox360

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:33:45 AM PST
N. Johnson says:
That is 100% false, and you should call K-mart and complain about that employee.

I am using an old 360 with kinect currently.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 8:40:29 AM PST
Deletomn says:
Hughes says: "I was told by a K-mart electronics employee that you have to buy the new xbox to use the kinect sensor, he said it would not work with the current x-box. He also said you can't use the kinect games with the current version. Is that true?"

I am also using an old 360 with the Kinect. I wish I could say I was amazed but I can't really. Sometimes people get confused and accidentally spread their confusion to others and sometimes they have an ulterior motive. Either way... This would be a case of bad information.

Anyway... The Kinect is a USB peripheral with additional power supplied. So there is no reason in the world why it can't work with the old 360.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 1:16:26 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 30, 2010 1:17:55 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:09:48 PM PST
MikeC says:
Kinect definitely works with the old Xbox 360. The Kmart employee couldn't be more wrong, but we shouldn't expect them to be very knowledgeable either.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 12:52:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2010 12:56:06 PM PST
PCBRain says:
Ok there are two different things people are talking about here.
First, yes the Kinect DOES work with either the older verison of Xbox or the Slim version, now the confusion here is that there are two ways you can purchase a Kinect and the accessories you get from the two is different.
If you bought the Kinect by itself then yes, it comes with everything you'd need to use it with whichever version of Xbox 360 that you have, the box includes all the accessories and cables. The problem is that MicroSoft also sold the Kinect in a bundle with the Xbox Slim version, if you have purchased that version then what you get is the Kinect sensor which will work with the Slim version of Xbox 360 and requires no additional accessory, plug in and play. However, if you purchased the bundle of Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect, you will NOT get the stand-alone AC adapter cable which is required to connect the Kinect to an older version of Xbox 360. In other words if you never owned a Xbox 360 before and got that bundle then you are good to go, but if you wish to take your Kinect sensor over to your friend's house and your friend owns an older version of the Xbox 360, you are out of luck, you will need that stand-alone AC adapter which Trist was talking about in the opening post.
Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures!
Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures! by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,359)