4.0 out of 5 stars Good Design. High Quality.
I have been using the FreeStyle for over a year now. The separation of left-hand and right-hand modules is the most obvious benefit. I have removed the tether, allowing the hands to be separated to a comfortable distance. Use the FreeStyle for a while and then return to a standard keyboard. You will immediately note how awkward and uncomfortable regular keyboards really...
Published on June 26, 2008 by P. Adlfinger

3.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw - the greater the split angle, the further the 2 halves are forced to be from each other
The top inner edges of the left and right pieces have a square edge.

1. This undermines the flexibility of having two separate pieces.

This is because the GREATER the split angle, the more comfortable it is to have the 2 pieces CLOSER together. However, the square edges forces the 2 pieces FURTHER away the GREATER the split angle.

Try...
Published on February 21, 2011 by HC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars FAIR, February 9, 2012
MARIE (berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kinesis Freestyle Solo Ergonomic USB Keyboard - Black (Electronics)
I had a chance to try this keyboard.

I was rather disappointed, and I did not buy it!

I currently use the IBM keyboard with the integrated touchpad. The IBM has low profile keys. Only minimal force is needed. The feeling of the keys is VERY secure.

The split Kinesis uses keys of medium height and one needs to use a medium amount of force. If you have an ergonomic injury - like myself - a medium amount of force may irritate your nerves. _ but that is not the worst part.

The key-stroke does not feel totally stable and secure. There is some minimal amount of woobling or "lack of connection" , just enough to make it annoying.

I will make sure I keep my shoulders in a totally neutral position when typing,

And will continue to use my IBM.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice ergonomics, lousy keys, February 2, 2010
Robert Redick (Three Rivers, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this keyboard, but the feel of the keys themselves is third rate. Terrible tactile feedback.

A real shame. The separate keypads are a great idea (although one should have the ability to lock them rigidly together; it's a pain to move or carry the boards when they're flopping around & held together only by a flimsy plastic hinge). I found that no matter how perfectly I positioned the two pads, my fingers just weren't happy.

Someday, someone will create an ergonomic keyboard that (a) doesn't cost $500 or more and (b) takes build quality as seriously as, say, Logitech does with its excellent $100 illuminated keyboard. Is that a lot to hope for?

2.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible under Remote Desktop connections., March 4, 2010
Here's a copy of a message sent to both Kinesis sales and tech support, I will post what resolutions are made if any:

========================

I contacted technical support on the phone last week regarding the Cut/Copy/Paste buttons not working on my Freestyle for PC keyboard. I was given a number of what sounded to me like made up excuses as to why these keys are not working as advertised, as well as what felt like the run-around with "you can change the keyboard repeat delay" type comments on what may or may not correct the problem. Nothing the tech suggested worked.

The core of the problem is that these buttons do not work when I am attached to another PC via remote desktop (RDP), which is my primary work environment.

The technician stayed on the phone with me, but he nonetheless continued to make excuses as to why the buttons are not working, and none of them made any sense to me at all. I am an IT professional with over 20 years experience and I know when I'm getting the run around from a support tech.

Anyhow, the technician said he would take down my information and get back to me after contacting engineering to see what can be done to resolve my situation. I have not heard anything as of yet.

I would like to continue using the Freestyle keyboard, but I also expect a high-end (expensive) input device to work as advertised. A correction to the problem is the solution I seek.

=============================

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as awesome as my old MS Natural Multimedia Keyboards, September 15, 2010
I've used Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboards for a decade, but they don't make 'em anymore, so I decided to try something ever MORE ergonomic, and more expensive, so I bought a Freestyle.

Pros: The key presses feel fantastic, and the ability to split the two sides as wide and as angled away from each other as you want can result in infinite arrangements for any arm length, wrist height, and body type.

Cons: It's expensive. Also, coming from years of MS Nat MM KB use, i find the loss of the numpad, the loss of the volume keys, the loss of the sleep button, and the re-arrangement of the delete and escape keys to have had a major impact on my workflow efficiency. After a week I'm still not used to it. Meanwhile, there's a bunch of internet keys (fwd, back, home, search, & cut, copy, paste) that I don't use.

You'll also need to invest another 33% of the keyboard's cost in the accessory kit, to raise up angle away the keys, so really, you're looking at $140 after shipping and everything.

Personally, and coming from using the old MS Nat MM KB, I wish I had given the much cheaper (one fourth the price!) Adesso Multimedia Ergo keyboard a shot first. I strongly feel (tho others may disagree) that this is a case of paying too much for too little.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked the keyboard so much I bought two., August 24, 2010
Jim C. (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Over the years I've owned Fujitsu keyboards, IBM model M, Northgate Omnikey ultra, logitech, and various newer ibm and dell keyboards. As a programmer, I began to develop a mild case of RSI. I never liked those microsoft ergo keyboards, so I decided to try one of these kinesis freestyles. I'm glad I did. Best Keyboard I've ever owned, both in terms of tactile feel, and ergonomics. You need to buy the VIP kit though. I'm not really a fan of the angle attachments, but the wrist extensions are absolutely essential. Having the angle attachments is nice though, because sometimes you just need to switch things up a bit to minimize fatigue. Ever since I bought this keyboard the RSI symptoms have completely disappeared. I've since bought the same keyboard to use at home as well as at work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, but it didn't work well for me, July 14, 2012
I wanted to like this keyboard but I was never able to get used to it. I found the keys too loose (as compared to my notebook and other keyboards). And despite the various (extra cost) under-unit mounts, I never could find one that suited my needs. All of the tilt options were opposite of what I needed for my situation.

Both of my wrists were broken in a bicycle accident many years ago. I am mostly OK, but did lose some angle of movement. The ability to approach the keyboard on an angle is therefore useful for me, as was the ability to have the space bar side higher than the number row side. I had used a similar Lexmark keyboard design on a desktop for many years. The Lexmark let me put the split keyboard right where I needed it. But like most people I have moved on to a notebook. The notebook keyboard causes me to unconsciously squeeze in my shoulders to get my elbows close to my side, with my hands struggling to get over the narrow keyboard. I had hoped to put the notebook on an elevated stand and locate the Kinesis Freestyle below it. The concept worked in theory, but not in practice. There was not enough room to properly place the Kinesis, and I still occasionally needed to use the notebook keyboard for special functions (speaker adjust, etc). Also, when away from my office I used only the notebook keyboard, requiring a period of readjustment back to a "normal" layout. I found that the potential benefit of the Kinesis wasn't worth the hassle.

Please understand that I'm not faulting the Kinesis for my inability to adapt. It's a well made product, but it just didn't work for my situation. Perhaps your situation is similar.

3.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Works Well, but drawbacks..., July 18, 2013
I started using a split keyboard 15 years ago, and have never looked back. When I finally needed to replace my old one, there were very few choices at a reasonable price, this being one of them. The build quality is high, and has a firm feel, but doesn't take too much force to press the keys. For standard types of work (office, technical), it works great. But it has some quirks that annoy me regularly:

* Can't reassign left & right spacebars: My old split keyboard had the option of configuring the left spacebar to work as a Backspace key. I didn't realize how much I actually used that feature, until I switched to this keyboard. As one of the more often-used keys, it is so much nicer to have it under your thumb, rather than having to do a huge pinky stretch to reach it on this keyboard. It turns out that the two spacebar buttons generate exactly the same key signal sent to the PC, so it's not something that can be changed in PC software or settings.

* Lack of media buttons: Other than the split, this is pretty much a bare-bones office keyboard, without Play/Pause buttons to quickly control your media.

* Awkward & error-prone use of Fn key to control volume: The F8/F9/F10 keys serve as Mute and Volume buttons, but they only work by pressing the 'Fn' key to put the keyboard into 'auxiliary function' mode, using those keys, and then pressing 'Fn' again to get out of aux mode. If you forget to press Fn that second time, then it leaves the keyboard stuck in aux mode, which actually changes a whole bunch of keys to do different things (e.g., letter keys become the number pad functions home/end/left/right/up/down). I can't say how many times I've adjusted the volume, gone back to typing, only to find that I'm randomly moving the cursor around instead.

* Gamers, limited multi-key combos: Certain multi-key (3 or more) combinations don't register. For example, when trying to press and hold A, D, then Space, the keyboard doesn't generate a signal for the Space bar. This is a actually a common characteristic of many consumer-grade keyboards, but that doesn't make it any less annoying when you're trying to do a running, jumping shot in some game on your PC.

So though the keyboard works well to perform mundane, basic office work, these shortcomings really make me wish there were more products on the market to choose from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shoulder pain gone, now replaced with left hand pain, March 3, 2010
I had very high hopes for this keyboard, but I'm not sure it's going to meet my requirements. I'm coming from a very long line of the MS natural keyboards. The biggest issue is Alt/Control and Windows keys are just about impossible to get to. I have to either use my pinky (in major pain after a couple of hours of work) or wrap my thumb way around to get to them. Or I can just move my whole hand, but that would defeat the theory of touch typing. My other complaint is the space bar is just way too wide. With my fingers on the f and j keys, my thumbs only occupy a space around 3/4" wide. Just look at the shiny spot on your keyboards space bar. Where is it and how large is it? So why the wasted realestate on a key that does not have to be that big? This puts the alt and windows keys under the center of my palm, a very hard to reach position. My next problem is the size of the windows, alt and control keys. All are much smaller than I'm used to. The MS natural keys are very large and wide. Super easy to get to. But on this keyboard they are much smaller and their location so far under the palm.... it's just terrible for me. I also do not like the right mouse windows key over on the far left. It's always been on the right side between the control and alt keys... why move it? The space bars are twice the size it needs to be, so there is room for it where it belongs. I'd also like larger shift keys.

Now to the good stuff. I bought this keyboard because of the shoulder pain caused by reaching for the mouse. Having the keyboard so much more compact, puts the mouse in a very nice position. I'm also going to root through my boxes of computer castoffs and find an old trackball I had. There is just a perfect place for it between the two halves. Don't know how it'll work, but it looks promising. I really hardly miss the 10ten pad. I do miss my + and - keys on the keypad for my paint and cad programs, but I'm getting used to it. The arrow keys are surprisingly easy to use and I took right to them. The cut and paste buttons are nice, but I'm so accustomed to the Control A, Control C, Control V, Alt F4 sequence, they are not that useful for me. The delete, backspace and esc keys are all very large and pretty good.But I do question the size of those buttons while making the alt, control and windows keys so small. I use them more than any of the others except the backspace. I also like the clicky sounds of the keys. I'd prefer the original IBM click, and why they don't include it in a keyboard like this is confusing to me. But the sound is welcome.

I have been going back and forth between the MS Natural and the Freestyle and each has it's positive points. Neither is perfect. The size and position of the bottom row on the MS is far superior to the Freestyle. But the Freestyle moves the mouse a good 4" to the left and having the two halves move independant of each other is a great plus. So I'm forced to endure right shoulder pain, or left hand palm/pinky pain. I know MS has a new board, the 6000, so I might have a go at that.

I'm giving it 4 stars to be fair, but I'd really give it 3.5 to be accurate.

The search for the perfect (ie, painless) keyboard goes on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably good ergonomic keyboard, August 28, 2009
I purchased this keyboard about 2 months ago. Overall I am quite happy with it and will be buying a second one for my home computer. Note that it doesn't have a number pad, which is good for me because my right arm doesn't have to travel as far but would be a problem for someone that uses the number keyboard frequently. There is a number keyboard integrated into the letter keys but I just use the number keys at the top of the keyboard.

I find it reasonably comfortable. It has taken some getting used to and for me the biggest problem with the keyboard is the placement of the delete key above the backspace key. I still find myself hitting the wrong key.

I disagree with those who criticize the feel of the keyboard. I find it to have a nice light touch. My Microsoft ergo keyboard is much harder.

5.0 out of 5 stars bye bye tunnel, May 9, 2010
bought this from amazon with the accesory pack, within 2 weeks, my wife's beginning carpal tunnel syndrome disappeared. great buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›