Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 14, 2012
We have dozens of these Glasslock containers in all sizes purchased both here and from Costco. We use them daily, in our cabinets to store dry goods, in the fridge, and in the freezer. They are most useful in the freezer because the lids are easy to remove even when they're ice-cold.

What makes them less than perfect, for us, is that if you store them with the lids on, when you remove the lids to use them there is a very strong plastic smell in the container. It's so strong that I either wash or wipe out the interior before filling it. What this tells me is that THE PLASTIC LID IS OFF-GASSING into whatever I store in the container.

To counteract this, I put a piece of Martha Stewart Wrap between the container and the lid, with the waxed side facing the food. Of course, the paper makes the container not water-tight; but, I don't need watertight, I need plastic-free food, and this solution works for me.

The instructions indicate that you should not store them with the lids on which, to me, indicates that the manufacturer knows about this off-gassing problem.

We also have dozens of the Bormioli Frigoverre containers which do not have this noxious smell. I still use Martha Wrap on them because absence of smell does not mean absence of off-gassing. The lids on the Frigoverre do not have a silicon seal and are not as secure. But, the lids have a smaller profile and take up less room if your space is limited. When the lids are cold, as in the freezer, they are hard to remove.

Both the Glasslock and Frigoverre containers have straight sides. Our Pyrex containers all have sloped sides. I find the sloped sides hold less food in the same amount of space. Pyrex, though, are available with a glass lid that can be use in the microwave and oven.

I prefer to use the Frigoverre in the cabinets and fridge, and the Glasslock in the freezer, both with Martha Warp under the lid. We use the microwave infrequently so the Pyrex offer no advantages to us.

We do not microwave the containers directly from the fridge. We fill our plates and microwave them. We wash all our dishes by hand and use phosphate-free detergent on the rare occasion when we use the dishwasher.

We have never had a container break or chip and both the containers and the lids are clear and function flawlessly after several years of daily use.

The newer models do stack if you turn the inside one upside down.

PROS: lids are secure and easy to remove even when frozen, sides are straight, there are lots of different shapes and sizes available, including a huge one.

CONS: lids off-gas into food and stick out quite a bit
on July 11, 2011
I have others of these containers and I like them very much. I was looking for a set that included some larger containers. Although the oz. capacity is accurate, strictly speaking (if you fill them to the actual top rim), the dimensions in inches are wildly wrong. The largest container measures 9x7x3, not 10x12x4. The next one measures 7.5x5.5x2.25 and the small one is 6x4x1.75 Also, although they say freezer to microwave safe, the fine print says to defrost first.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2008
Pros: Durable, tight seals, no plastic, silicone lids, freezer and microwave safe.

Cons: Price, weight, mostly unstackable so hard to store lots of them.

What I mean about unstackable is that although these three particular sizes do fit inside each other, if you buy a whole lot of them the same or similar sizes, they will not fit inside one another at all.

Overall, however, we are grateful to be rid of our BPA plastics and are using these new ones all the time for food storage. We thought Kinetic GlassLocks were a better choice than the Pyrex glass containers because of the tighter seal of these lids (very, very secure seal) and the Pyrex lids were still plastic (not silicone), last time we checked.
88 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2009
My husband bought these for me for Christmas b/c I want to get away from using plastic for leftovers. I love them!! The lids lock down so well, but are easy to get off and only those with the worst arthritis would have trouble opening the lids (remove lids before microwaving). I highly recommend them.
on January 7, 2009
These seal airtight, so my soup doesn't leak out onto the rest of my belongings, and I can remove the lid, cover with a paper towel, and heat in the office microwave for a plastic-free lunch. Does the job real nicely. These seal just like the lock-n-lock containers, but the bottom container of these are glass, and only the lid is plastic.
on July 19, 2010
The attributes of these great storage containers have been pretty well covered: however, I have a hint for making the lids easier to use. If you store the containers with the lids locked on, they will always be a snap to open and close. I had a few months of disappointment because I found them to be easy to work sometimes but impossible at other times. Once I started putting the lids on as soon as they were dry and stacking them in the cabinet these became a 5-star purchase.
on April 3, 2010
I use these for storing leftovers and sometimes taking lunch to work. The seal is perfect, there is no chance of leaks even if they get turned upside down, which was not the case with some of the other glass containers I have. The only downside, and the reason why I don't give them 5 stars, is that they can be really tough to close and to open, it's not something that can be done with one hand as you hold the refrigerator door with the other.
A couple of other minor points: (1) the instructions say "top dishwasher rack only", but I believe that only applies to the plastic covers, not the glass. It would be good to have that specified; (2) when comparing with other brands of containers, it's important to note that these are not oven safe.
on April 26, 2011
I got this set for odd jobs and I'm happy I did, though we use it less than the workhorse 1-qt oblongs and 1-pt squares. Why? Because those don't nest so they take up a lot of storage space, and these do. We still prefer the non-nesting ones for our batch cooking because they stack BEAUTIFULLY in the fridge, taking up the least room possible. But this assortment is a great addition with their easy-to-store nestability. They are a good range of sizes. I'd recommend them as a starter set.

They aren't rated as oven safe but I have used them in a low oven to reheat foods without any issues. (Without the lids, of course.) To be safe I would not use them at high temperatures.

Being glass they clean up beautifully. We machine wash the glass parts and hand-wash the plastic, and the plastic never enters the microwave (I have a silicon universal lid I use in the microwave), but the glass does and it works fine there.

We also have some Pyrex nesting containers and I have to struggle to get the lids on and off. One of the things I like best about Glass Lock is how easy the lids are to operate. I have very weak hands and even on a bad day I can get these lids off. This is HUGE after a lifetime of struggling with lids on all sorts of containers.

Sometimes if you put hot food into them and then chill it down, the lids seal very tightly because of the reduction of air pressure inside the container. In that case I pop the edge with a spoon when I'm opening it, sort of like opening a sealed jar except it's much easier.
on April 2, 2009
I have started using the glass storage containers, and these are really good. The lids snap on and stay on and are easy on and off. They don't leak and are dishwasher (top rack) safe. The containers can go in the freezer and microwave.
on February 24, 2012
I'm not sure why these are now $20 more than what I paid for them about 2 months ago (also on Amazon). I decided to switch from plastic tupperware to glass because of concerns over microwaving and leeching. The variety of sizes is really great, and the lids lock on to make an incredibly tight seal. I've used these almost daily since I bought them--and put them in the dishwasher almost daily as well--and they have held up very well. They do get quite hot in the microwave, and you should definitely release the lid locks before heating to allow the steam to escape.