5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive trainer
I've been riding the Rock & Roll for several months now to supplement my road riding. I was a little hesitant about the rocking feature initially. As it turns out, the default stiffness setting doesn't move nearly as much as I was expecting. Of course, you can loosen the resistance for more motion, or really tighten it down for even less.

My main concern was...
Published on July 29, 2008 by J. Snavely

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the trainer for me
Published 20 months ago by J. Hess

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive trainer, July 29, 2008
J. Snavely "jellybiscuit" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

My main concern was longevity of my bike frame and I feel like having a little bit of give in the trainer will help prevent damage. I'm not small at 200lbs so a little give is a good thing.

The resistance unit itself is smooth and operates with a relatively little noise. Our house is very open and I ride directly below our bedroom. My wife has never been awakened by the trainer.

I chose to purchase the model with the additional flywheel. I use it when I'm doing consistent pace riding. If I want to do intervals I almost have to remove it to prevent tire slippage. Not a problem, since most people would prefer less flywheel effect for intervals anyway.

Summary:
This is a quality tool that will definitely help you pack on the training miles. The rock & roll feature is not crucial, but is a worthwhile feature if you have the extra money to spend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Kinetic Rock n Roll Trainer w/Road Resistance Unit (Sports)
Length:: 0:49 Mins

Ill start off by saying I am a beginner biker. I have ridden maybe 40 miles in the last two weeks and decided to get this trainer for rainy days because I can't stand the treadmill. I have tried out a standard stationary trainer at a local shop and it was very stiff but still good. I got this yesterday, set it up.. which was very easy.. and was able to ride it with no issues. I don't have any major noticeable bouncing or too much wobbling if you are riding correctly. It feels so smooth and fairly lifelike. My legs were burning pretty bad quickly riding it but I'm not sure if it was from working out or the difference from biking on the road vs a trainer. I have the stationary riser block but i think I'm going to return it and get the one that moves, i believe it will feel more natural with the light movement you get from this trainer.

the bad: We tried to put this on our carpet.. tired rubbed a black spot into it. bummer. Then i put it on the linoleum and after riding about 15 mins this morning i found another black spot, but smaller. grrr. Im kind of annoyed. I emailed kurt kinetic for suggestions. I can't imagine the mat will help because it is foam and it would only take away a couple millimeters of clearance.. plus i don't care to spend 60 on it. I might put down some contact paper with duct tape to cover the spot directly under the tire. It may have happened when i was riding standing up but still..they advertise this.

update: i got a very quick response from kurt kinetic- they suggested to tighten the rear bolt and loosen the inside one. It raised it a touch and should alleviate the problem. This company seems really great.

update 2: its still sagging a little..there are marks on the floor and ive decided I dont want it in my dining room..carpeting wont work with it and i even tried to put a big rubber mat under the backside on the carpet to raise it but it didnt help. Ive decided to return it to rei where i bought it. I LOVE this thing and it took me a while to decide but i dont feel like i should be paying so much for an item i cant use where i want. I perfer riding outside anyway

I ended up buying the road machine by this company and its great. For my personal needs of wanting my bike higher..the road machine works better for me.

Video- just to give you a real perspective. Its pretty quiet actually. I do have to turn the tv up but its way doable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Awesomesauce, May 15, 2012
I'm a fairly recent convert to using an indoor trainer. As much as I prefer riding outdoors, I have two small children and live in Phoenix. Thus, as summer hits, it's too hot to go riding in the middle of the day, yet with the kids I can rarely get out in the mornings or evenings.

I previously used a basic fluid trainer but wasn't ever really happy with it. Sure, it was under $200, but it didn't coast at all, was a little too noisy, and didn't "feel" that great. Standing up, for example, wasn't an option.

The Rock and Roll has a wonderful near-road feel and the movement does make a difference. You don't feel like you're going to topple over at all but that extra up and down and side to side does help you know when your form is slipping and makes the ride a lot more comfortable. The flywheel is awesome, letting you coast but also forcing you to change resistance to keep a steady pace (and avoid knocking because you're in too high a gear).

Lastly, I use this with TrainerRoad.com to measure power output and do structured workouts. Combine that with some Netflix in the background hooked up to my flat screen and it keeps my attention for at least my 60-90 minute indoor rides. I don't have a power meter, but TrainerRoad and the Kurt Kinectic are well-calibrated to get me in the ballpark and allow me to do power-based workouts for (at least) my indoor rides. Since my outdoor rides are all with a group where I don't control the pace, this really lets me tune things on the indoor days (which are 70% of my summer workouts).

In summary- if you can afford it and have the space, the Rock and Roll is worth it. If you can't, at least go with Kurt since the flywheel resistance unit is the best feeling I've found.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trainer, September 25, 2012
I want to start by saying that I am a runner more than a biker, but I have been using this trainer during recovery from an injury. Serious bike riders may have a different opinion. I have a couple of minor complaints, but overall this is a very nice product. I have been using it for a couple of months, I have maybe 400 miles on it and it has performed perfectly. So it seems well made.

The good:
- Setup was pretty simple all of the parts went together without issue.
- I like being able to use my own bike for indoors so its more like riding outdoors.
- The fluid unit provides consistent resistance. I like being able to adjust the load by just changing gears. So far it has not shown any signs of leakage or other issues. I have a real wheel sensor speedometer on my bike so I can easily judge how hard I am working and whether I am improving or not by the rear wheel speed. I am comfortable with the load in a middle gear, so have some room to add or remove load.
- I have the standard flywheel on it, I didn't bother with the heavier one, acceleration/deceleration is pretty smooth if you get the tension on the rear wheel adjusted correctly.
- The bicycle attachment make bike attachment/detachment quick and easy and the bike seems secure in it. I can switch between mine and my wife's bike with a lever throw and a tension adjustment.

The bad:
- The trainer says it fits any wheel size which is not completely true. When I attach the bike, the rear wheel is just off the groundm so technically it does fit. But when I get on, it just barely drags on the mat because the springy mount sags slightly. I weigh 170, a lighter rider would probably not have a problem, a heavier rider would not be able to use it. I got around this by placing some 1/2" boards under the stand arms which works fine. But it would be better if you didn't have to do that.
- The unit comes with an attachment cup that allows me to attach my bike with the original wheel skewer. It has a slot to accommodate the lever. But when I use that setup, the bike has a slight lean to the right, not bad, just slightly annoying. If you use the provided skewer and the solid cup, the problem is not there. But since I connect two different bikes, I would have to keep swapping the skewer. So instead, since I was raising the stand anyway, I solved it by raising one side slightly more. I am not sure if there is a better solution for this, I would rather have the lean than have the bicycle attachment be insecure.

The undecided:
- The rock and roll feature. The springiness of the stand does seem to make the ride smooth and you have to balance to some extent. Still this still seems sort of gimmicky to me. It does make the unit somewhat big and heavy and it costs more than the stationary unit. Other than that it doesn't detract, but I can't say whether its worth the extra money or not.

So overall, if you get one of these units, a real wheel speed sensor, a fan to keep you cool, maybe a tasty beverage to drink, and something to entertain you while riding, you will have pretty nice indoor training setup. Granted it will never be as fun as riding outside, but that's not the trainer's fault.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the trainer for me, May 21, 2013
J. Hess "roadiedvm" (Centennial, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
During the winter, I put in 8-10 hours a week on the trainer doing everything from recovery rides to intense Sufferfest intervals. I've used various trainers for the past 9 years and for the last 5 years have used a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine exlusively. When the resistance unit on my Road Machine went down last winter, I didn't have time to wait for a replacement so I bought a new Road Machine then, a couple of weeks ago, decided to send the old unit in for repair. When I told the Kurt rep what was wrong, she just sent me a new resistance unit so I decided to buy a new Rock n Roll frame and mount the new resistance unit on it. I'd wanted to try the Rock n Roll trainer for a while and this was my opportunity to do it for a relatively small investment. I want to make clear that Kurt Kinetic is a great company with fantastic customer service but the Rock n Roll trainer isn't for me. The movement is distracting, not realistic and I have to think that some of the power I generate when pushing hard is being wasted by making my bike move side to side, up and down, instead of being transmitted directly to the drive train. The build quality of the frame and resistance unit are excellent and the axle release system is an improvement over the Road Machine but I've returned to the Road Machine for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 1, 2013
So easy to put together and operate (female, age 39, put it together by myself in about 30 mins). I am not even coming close to touching the mat with my tire as some are experiencing. They must not have their bolts tight enough. Easy install w/ picture instructions. You only need to provide adjustable wrench. I thought I might want the pro-wheel, but it's something that I can add on later. Right now though, it's kicking my butt and I hardly have the tension tight. Whew, a work-out well needed! SO QUIET! I have it parked infront of the TV and I don't have to have it blaring to hear. I have a Felt carbon fiber frame, so I wanted a trainer that would give a little so I didn't stress out my frame. Trainer comes with a skewer, so don't bother ordering one (like I did). My trainer came with an instructional video w/ SpinerVals 27 video as well. Need to order yourself a trainer tire so you don't burn out your road tire. Also, get the turntable riser for your front tire. Couldn't be happier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, smooth, quiet riding., September 17, 2011
After a couple of months using this trainer I still am impressed with it's stability, smoothness, quietness and how natural the fluid resistance feels. The addition of lateral and vertical motion makes longer rides much more interesting and comfortable. With the addition of the 12lb flywheel you almost feel like you're on the road.

The build quality on this trainer is excellent with two exceptions. The resistance unit pivots on a loose fitting bolt and is adjusted with a knob backed by a rather light-weight coil spring. The pivot action is very wobbly and sloppy but I can't say that this affects function. However, the spring is too insubstantial to keep the rather heavy unit against the adjustment knob so that moving the unit away from the tire must be done manually. Functionally these things are far from a deal breakers and not even worth half a star. But they are a head scratching bit of poor engineering in an otherwise stellar machine. Whether these issues have an impact on durability remains to be seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trainer, but side-to-side motion is overrated, December 30, 2012
Geoffrey D Herrig (Greeley, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this trainer for a year and have used it at least once a week and look forward to using it for years to come. What I've come to like most about it is its road-like feel - the wiggle in the trainer feels very much like I'm cycling, and using the turntable in front keeps me honest about balance.

The trainer is not what I expected, however; with the adjustment bolts loosened up to allow significant side-to-side motion as illustrated in the promotional video, I had significant bouncing. I am a 165 pound rider and take pride in pedaling full circles. With the bolts tightened up to eliminate the bouncing, I still have a great road feel and can get out of the saddle for standing efforts, but the side-to-side freedom isn't what I anticipated.

While this trainer is quiet compared to others I have used, during intervals the bike + trainer is still going to generate noise. While pushing out nearly 300 watts I use earbuds to listen to a DVD and couldn't have a conversation around the thing. My setup includes Kenda's Kurt training tire.

Again, excellent product and good value, I would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping me fit, May 12, 2011
This is a great indoor trainer, worth the little extra for the rock and roll feel. Plus if you have a carbon frame, it's a little less stressful on frame --IMO.

Very smooth feel when peddling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate riding on an indoor trainer, but..., January 15, 2014
This one, for me, makes hours on an indoor trainer much more bearable. I also have a Cycleops (which is a fine basic trainer) and have spent MANY hours on a Computrainer at a local cycling performance studio. I have ALWAYS found sitting on a completely stationary trainer for anything over 30 to 45 minutes to be extremely uncomfortable and/or painful - even with chamois cream. I made every excuse in the book to avoid getting on the trainer - even this one for the first year I owned it. In fact, it sat in my workout room for about a year until I decided to finally give it a try a few weeks ago. I'm very glad I did! The downward movement of the rear wheel allows enough relief that I can get on the trainer for good periods of time (longest ride so far has been 1:10) with minimal discomfort. I haven't even had to wear chamois butter. Of course, that may change when I start needing to get in 2+ hour rides on the trainer gearing up for Spring outdoor riding. So far, I love this thing - mostly because I don't dread getting on it like I do other trainers. Highly recommend.

Kinetic by Kurt Rock and Roll Indoor Bicycle Trainer (Green)
$519.00 $440.00