5.0 out of 5 stars When the weather is all wrong , This Baby Is Alright!
Published on February 14, 2006 by Marco J.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Satisfied
Published on February 2, 2011 by S. Lary

5.0 out of 5 stars When the weather is all wrong , This Baby Is Alright!, February 14, 2006
This review is from: Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine Indoor Bicycle Trainer (Sports)
I purchased the Kurt Kenetic two months ago, and am thrilled with its performance and quality. If you are considering purchasing a trainer, fluid trainers are the way to go. Basically, there are four major types of trainers: Magnetic,Wind, Rim Driven, and Fluid. The later is the best, hands down! Fluid resistance trainers are more quiet, smoother and more realistic than any of the others mentioned. The only drawback to the fluid trainer is that over time they can leak resistance fluid. There are three companies that have solutions to this drawback. I highly recommend that you research all three and test them out where possible. A good review page is Roadbikereview.com . The CycleOps Fluid 2 is ultra smooth and quiet. They have a limmited warranty on thier products, but are known for standing behind their trainers for life, and will fix any issues probably for life! The One Up Trainer has all the advantages of a fluid trainer, but uses no fluid in its designe, it is made in America and carries a life time warranty. The Kurt Kinetic, which I decided to purchase, is IMHO, the best because it utilizes a sealed fluid unit and therefore is guranteed not to leak. These three units are roughly the same price, around $260.00. Steep? Think of it this way, This product is going to be your companion for many winters, so don't buy a loud, crappy one with crappy customer service! You'll regret later that you didn't spend the extra $75 or $80 on a quality product. I also tested the Blackburn Fluid, $100 bucks cheaper, not bad for price, but since it is new to the market I was unsure about durabillity or how well they stand behind thier trainers after warranty expiration. I have heard amazing testimonials of how Cyclops, Kurt, and One Up, have replaced parts and even whole trainers, no questions asked! Google these three companies and see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good trainer for an apartment dweller., November 21, 2011
I have had my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for 1 month. I have about 7 hours of total ride time. I have a Cannondale Synapse 7 road bike and am a very new rider. I live in a 2nd floor apartment and I use the Kinetic rubber mat with my trainer to help reduce vibration. I noticed the vibrations are the worst while accelerating. Once you are up to speed, the trainer is very smooth and has little vibration. My neighbor below me says he cannot hear anything, but we have pretty good construction in our building.

I took the advice of others and put a cheap used tire on my bike. I was very glad I did this. In the short time I have ridden, I can already see the wear marks on the tire and anticipate having to replace it before next winter.

It took a long time to get the wheel adjusted to the point where it made the least amount of noise. There was a lot of squeaking! I found I had to inflate the tire to the maximum recommended PSI before the squeaking stopped. Though part of that could be the fact that it's a cheap used tire.

The tire still squeaks at very low speeds (<10mph), but once I am up and running, the noise in the room is a medium hum where you can still hold normal conversations with other people. You can also hear the normal noise of the bike chain running against the gears. I would call the overall noise minimal, but you would not want to train at 2AM if you are in an apartment. I have to turn the TV up a few notches to watch movies while I am riding and when I put headphones on, I cannot hear the trainer at all.

Overall, I am very happy with this trainer and expect a lot of good use from it.

---9 month update-----
The trainer is working out better than expected. I have over 600 miles on it now and its working great. The used tired has not shown any further signs of wear. The squeaking noise now only occurs for the first minute of riding then its gone. I dare say the trainer is even quieter now that it and the tire are "broken in" together. We had a new neighbor move in below us and she says she cannot hear anything at all when I am on the trainer.
----3rd Year update----
I have started my third winter with this trainer and it seems to just get better with age. I have around 1500 miles on it and use it 2-3 times a week during the winter months. I am still using a cheap used tire on it and my chain shifting gears is now the loudest noise it makes. I am surprised at how quiet this trainer has become. I have not noticed any deterioration of any parts and everything looks and works like it was brand new. My long term experience with this trainer made me switch from a 4 star review to 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best trainer you can buy, January 9, 2007
I have had several other trainers of this type that were used by my son and myself for training on Road, Mountain, and Recumbent. This one is the best. From the moment you heft it out of the shipping carton until you set it up you know this is quality and not like all the others. It is BUILT strong.

I am 6'3" and 215 lbs. This trainer acts like I'm not there. The greatest feature is the quietness with which it operates. You can watch the Spinerval DVD or TV and not have to be blasted off the seat. Bike mounting on the trainer is straight and very simple while being very secure. I love it and use it regularly with great results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisier than expected and short on resistance, but has redeeming qualities, June 29, 2013
First things first - I'm Lisa's hubby, not Lisa. We share one Amazon account - it just keeps things simpler!

I ordered this to replace an aging Minoura rim-drive style trainer. The Minoura was great from the standpoint of the rim drive, but the belt and other moving parts made it noisy (in my opinion) and the belt wore out pretty quick and was a PITA to replace. But overall it was a good trainer. I was hoping a fluid style trainer would be smoother and quieter.

After reading many reviews, I decided the Kurt Kinetic was the best option, and the additional flywheel would give the unit excellent feel. I knew the rear tire would take more abuse from this type of trainer, but I was willing to recycle some old tires to the task to get a quiet, smooth, road-like ride.

Unboxing, the product was perfect. The box opens fully, so you don't have that awkward issue of trying to figure out how to slide the Styrofoam out. I was pleased to find just a few simple parts inside. The assembly was a breeze - just mount the resistance unit with a single bolt, slide the spring onto the tension L-bolt, and screw on the adjustment knob. That's about it - takes all of three minutes to assemble and it's simple. On mine, I changed out the aluminum lug that holds the skewer on one side. Not sure why they don't do that by default, but it was simple as well.

The product itself is well built. The design is similar to many others with the folding legs. But the stance is a bit wider and the tubing larger in diameter. Also nice is how perfectly the skewer mounts fit onto the supplied skewer. You'll never worry about the bike slipping out of this unit. Both sides of the unit have screw-in and out adjustments, and one side has a quick-release, making putting the bike in and out super fast.

Once I got it up and running, the first thing I noticed is that this unit has excellent feel. The design, while simple, is very solid. The resistance unit has one rotating part and has excellent bearings. It spins smoothly and without any jiggle or looseness. And the large flywheel produces realistic pedal feel. I ordered the supplemental 12 lb flywheel but it doesn't arrive until next week. This should further improve the feel, but the unit does an excellent job right out of the box.

Now for the not-so-good stuff. I bought this unit hoping for something really smooth and quiet. But it's not at all quiet. It's not so much the absolute volume of the noise as the quality. The sound that comes out of this thing is higher-pitched and white noise in nature. It almost sounds like metal-on-metal with high-pitched fan type noise. I'll try to get a video and post it if I can edit this review later. But suffice it to say that my old trainer with its belts, pulleys, and many moving parts was quieter. That was a major disappointment! Update on 07/01/2013 - I have uploaded a short video with sound to demonstrate what this thing sounds like. And yes - it really does sound like that...reminds me of bearings going bad with no oil or a small jet engine. The video shows riding at a power output of around 225-250 watts and roughly 80-90 rpm pedal speed. Not sure what the gearing would translate to in terms of road speed, but let's say maybe 22-25 mph based on what gear ratio I was in at the time.

My other complaint is that this unit doesn't have quite enough resistance, nor does it have any adjustment for resistance. According to all the reviews I read before, fluid trainers simply increase their resistance as the wheel rotates faster. That's fine and exactly what I expected - but the problem here is that you have to run in nearly your top gear just to generate average resistance. And forget about sprinting... I'm a pretty good cyclist, not the best, but for comparison I bike the 112 mile portion of Ironman in a little over 5 hours. To do that typically requires an average power output of about 210-215 watts. My bike has an integrated power meter, so with this trainer I can tell you that 300-400 watts is approaching the upper end of what this unit can deliver. And to get those watts, you have to spin the bike's wheel pretty fast. And of course the faster you turn it, the more noise and vibration you create. I wish this unit developed the 200-250 watts I like to use at a much lower speed. If it did, it would be smoother and generate a lot less noise. At 250 watts, the Kinetic kicks up a lot of noise. Most of it appears to be coming from the fluid portion of the resistance unit, and more from either the tire/roller interface and the flywheel, although it's hard to tell exactly where while riding it. Hopefully my wife can get some up-close video and audio while I am using it that I can post later on.

I'm going to call in to customer service tomorrow - I suppose it's possible something is wrong with my unit. It's really that bad. But the feel of this model is superior enough to my old trainer that I might end up keeping it anyway. I gave it 4 stars because it really is well designed and a very solid unit and maybe I was overly optimistic that a fluid trainer really would be quiet. As long as you aren't a highly competitive rider and don't mind the significant white noise note this thing puts out, this model will probably exceed your expectations in every other area.

Update: I called Kurt customer service this morning about the noise levels. Gave the person the serial number and she said based on the number, the "new" unit I was sold was actually several years old. I guess it's been in a warehouse somewhere sitting around. So be aware - if you buy one there's no telling how old it actually is, even though technically it's "new in the box". She suggested I register and fill out a warranty claim, which I am doing now. She said the unit should be extremely quiet. I'll post additional updates as the warranty process proceeds.

Update 2: Kurt customer service/warranty was amazingly fast! I registered my product online, got an e-mail response back almost immediately saying they'd ship me a replacement resistance unit. Hopefully it will solve the noise issues. For the record, when I called, there were no phone prompts - a real live person picked up immediately. If you are debating on whether to spend a premium on this product, the customer service alone is worth it.

Update 07/01/2013: Today the extra 12 lb flywheel arrived. Installation was a snap - it fits neatly right over the stock flywheel and is precision milled to fit around it on the outside edges. It is secured in the center with a single screw with wings for tool-free installation. This flywheel is totally worth the extra cost - it makes this trainer ride almost exactly like the bike is on the road. Acceleration, "coasting", and pedal dynamics are dramatically improved. I also learned that this machine is very sensitive to how the feet make contact with the floor. Because you have to spin this unit SO fast to generate appropriate wattage levels, the flywheel is turning extremely fast, greatly exaggerating any imbalance issues. Anyway - once I got the new flywheel installed and started riding, I noticed some significant vibrations - so much so that my hands would have been numb by the end of my 90 minute training session. Playing with the unit, I noticed that one of the forward feet had a tiny amount of play in it. So I shimmed it up perfectly to remove every bit of play. The unit is sitting on a 2x2 foot ceramic tile floor laid over a concrete slab on the ground floor, so the floor its on is extremely solid. I think this helps - any softness in your floor is likely to allow vibrations to get out of control with this super-massive flywheel. But that's the price you pay for having a nice large mass - worth it IMO. Once I had all four feet perfectly even, the unit ran smooth as glass. A nice touch would be if this thing came with screw in and out leveling feet. It would be simple to add them, and you'd only need them on the front feet. As mentioned elsewhere, I've added a short video clip illustrating the sound/noise this thing kicks up. I'm still waiting on the replacement resistance unit that customer service is shipping - I'll update the review once that arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trainer, fantastic service, November 18, 2010
I'm not one who usually posts reviews on Amazon, but after my experiences with this product, I knew I had to weigh in with my support.

First was Amazon's speed. I ordered the trainer on a Thursday night, and it was delivered the next Monday-- even though I selected the Free (e.g., slow) Shipping option for this 30lb package to save on costs.

Second was Kurt Manufacturing's service. When I opened the box and pulled out the trainer, I noticed a light, oily residue on the roller and on the frame. I figured I had a defective unit and called Kurt, expecting to have to deal with some automated system that would just tell me to go to their website. Not only did the phone ring to a real person right away, but she actually had an answer that didn't involve replacing the unit (it was likely just excess machine oil from the manufacturing process). She apologized profusely and suggested I use a de-greaser to take it off. She then recommended I use the unit for a couple of days, call her back if I noticed any problems, and promised to replace the unit at their cost if I noticed any issues. She also took my serial number with the intention to follow up with the retailers who stocked that batch to make sure they were aware of the potential issue. Smart, friendly, pro-active customer service... fantastic. And after significant, heavy daily use, I can confirm the unit is definitely not leaking.

Third is the unit itself. I bought this for off-season training and to avoid having to restart the spring at zero fitness. The frame is very stable, even in standing sprints, and the resistance curve makes it easy to map out and plan intervals. At high speeds it isn't as quiet as I had thought a fluid trainer would be, but it is still significantly quieter than a wind trainer at the same speeds. While not Kurt's top-of-line unit, this one is still relatively expensive, but as with much of life, you get what you pay for. I'm glad I spent the extra to get a high-quality machine that I won't toss with disgust.

My one gripe is that the written directions for assembly were not very clear. I had to puzzle through a few things that I felt were confusing or omitted in the directions. However, I then popped in the accompanying Spinervals DVD and found out that the first 10 minutes were detailed video instructions for assembly and use of the trainer. I'd recommend a sticker for the instructions that says "Please ignore this and watch the DVD instead." This gripe is truly minor, though, and completely irrelevant once you get the thing set up and take that first spin.

In short, I'd give the trainer five stars just for the unit itself and what it has added to my training. Adding Kurt's service and Amazon's speed, I would rate this product even higher if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurt Kinetic has the best fluid trainer, September 11, 2006
I've had my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine since 2001 and it has never leaked. I put an average of 1200 miles per winter on it and it's always been reliable, relatively quiet, and has a better feel than any non-fluid trainer. The Road Machine Pro has an even heavier flywheel so offers an even better feel, I'd say. The best thing you could do is read the reviews on other sites. Try a couple out at a local bike shop and then buy the best. After all my initial reviews and ongoing knowledge of bike trainers, Kurt was and still is the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Satisfied, February 2, 2011
Product shipped on time. It was extremely easy to set up. Installing bike was a bit clumsy. The mechanism for sliding the adjuster in and out could be spring loaded so it holds it's position. Balancing bike, adjusting spacing and fighting with shifter cable that runs along my skewer posed a challenge. Don't have to take the bike out very often so not a big deal. The CycleOps has an easier entry system.

One item that did disappoint is that there is no adjustment on the legs to level the unit. I use the unit in the basement and the floor slopes to a center drain. I had to use spacers to level the unit. My daughter bought the less expensive magnetic CycleOps and it had adjusters in the legs. For the price I paid for the Kurt I expected as much.

The resistance system works just fine. I do find I have to ride in higher gears for the same output as when I ride outside but those are easy adjustments to make. I don't however feel a big difference in resistance with increase speed.

It accomplishes what I need, an indoor trainer to get through winter. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely look at the CycleOps.

5.0 out of 5 stars love my sore muscles, September 15, 2006
spinnie (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I got this trainer thinking that it would be a good workout for days when I was too lazy to carry my bike downstairs or go to the gym. I've taken spinning classes for a few years, and never thought that using a trainer would produce a workout as intense as my classes. This trainer definitely does.

I've never used another one, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I LOVE this trainer. Keeping the resistance up will give you a great workout and you can use your gears modify the resistance while riding. It remains stable even when I stand up on it.

Overall, I just love it. It's quiet, easy to use, and takes up minimal space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Trainer, June 28, 2009
I've owned this for about 4 months now and am happy to report that it has been awesome. I was debating between this one and the Cycleops Fluid 2. I chose this one over the fluid 2 based on the few reports of the fluid 2 springing a leak. While it seems like a rare complication, it would likely be an enormous pain in the neck. Also, I've never heard of the Kurt leaking so that's what made the difference for me. While the Kurt is more expensive than the Cycleops, if you check around, there are really great deals to be found on the Kurt (look up "Angry Badger"). I got mine for WAY less than amazon and even cheaper than the fluid 2.
Now on to the Kurt Kinetic itself. It's green. Very green. But I actually like it. Other positives: 1)It's very stable, even when standing on the pedals 2) it's quiet (but I have those skinny, smooth road tires). I can easily watch TV over the noise. 3) It's easy to put together out of the box (a few minutes) 4)it provides a great workout. You change the resistance by changing gears on the bike 5)it's good practice if you're new to clipless pedals (but any trainer would work for that).

I ended up having to use the skewer that came with the trainer because my fancy skewer would not fit on the bolt of the trainer. No big deal at all. I just keep their skewer on my bike now.

From what I've read, this may be the best trainer in its class. I haven't tested any other ones but I would say that this is an excellent piece of equipment. If you're serious about training, then you can't go wrong with this one. I have included some pictures. Hope they help.
John

4.0 out of 5 stars Fluid Trainer, February 27, 2008
I've been using my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for about a week now and have found it very helpful in maintaining and increasing my fitness during the rainy season in the Pacific Northwest. Setup was very easy and straightforward (once I was able to free up the axle nut on the left side, which seemed to be jammed at first. I just had to be persistent in twisting hard until it loosened up). I was up and pedaling within 10 minutes of opening the box. I don't have any experience with other trainers so I was expecting a greater degree of "progressive resistance" in the fluid trainer than I am experiencing, but I have no basis for comparison since I have never used any other kind of trainer. The unit is realtively quiet and very smooth. I also appreciated the "Spinervals" DVD that came with it. Very helpful. I would definitely recommend this product.

Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine Indoor Bicycle Trainer