4.0 out of 5 stars I Miss Belly
It's just too bad that Belly broke up after two wonderful, beautiful and creative albums. Their second, "King," is weaker than "Star," but the songs rock harder and with a noise that almost foreshadows their soon-to-be-gone band.
Published on January 20, 2000 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, not so much on vinyl
I'm not sure why this is but this album skips like mad. No visible marks or scratches on the surface and it's the only album I own that does this. Bad pressing maybe? Not sure, but in any case I really love this album and was hoping to get some good quality sound on vinyl but it just wasn't in the cards for me.
Published 10 months ago by A to the K

4.0 out of 5 stars I Miss Belly, January 20, 2000
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
Tanya Donelly, is, in my humble opinion, one of the most underrated singers to emerge from the alt-rock scene of the nineties. Her lilting tone and breathy delivery was perfect for the power pop that Belly delivered on this album. I'm especially partial to the song "Red" (the perfect air guitar song) and "Untitled and Unsung," with its inflections of middle Eastern guitar.
Do yourself a favor and buy this album. If you're like me, you'll mourn the fact that such a wondrous band is no longer in existence (Donelly's solo album held glimmers of hope...but where's her follow-up?), but you'll also be darned glad that Belly left the alt-rock party before it gave way to the teen pop that currently saturates the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars The underrated Belly album, September 19, 2002
Amazon Customer (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
When this CD was first released way back in '95 (the year I graduated from high school), people in the indie scenes in which I traveled at the time growled, gritted their teeth, and made "sellout" noises when confronted with this disc. They simply flat out did not like it. To us, Belly were the band with the wispy sound that made songs like "Feed The Tree" and "Gepetto" and the marvelous, thunderstorm-just-over-the-hill-menace of "Low Red Moon" that preppies weren't supposed to understand, and loud, crunchy, guitars had nothing to do with that.
I admit to being a little dubious myself (forgive me, for it was a strange time and to an ignorant 18-year-old with an indentity crisis "selling out" was tantamount to suicide), but actually hearing the CD forced me to cave in. This is one of the best rock 'n' roll albums ever made.
The key to this album's sound probably lies in the fact that Glyn Johns is the man behind the boards. Johns had previously been a producer for the Rolling Stones and the Who, as well as on the Clash's second-worst album, "Combat Rock." Here, he gives Belly the same kind of sound that he got on "Who's Next," and, fortunately, Tanya Donelly wrote a set of songs that actually lend themselves to the treatment. The results speak for themselves. When fantastic songs like "Puberty," "The Bees," "Red," and "Untitled and Unsung" are the LESSER album tracks, you know you're hearing something special; "Superconnected," "Now They'll Sleep," and "Judas My Heart" may be among the best songs recorded by any group of musicians in any form of pop music (including jazz) during the last ten years. That this album didn't sell is a fact; that this happened is a travesty of taste on the part of music fans of the mid-'90s, who were undoubtedly too busy buying the "Batman Forever" soundtrack to pay attention to a mere Belly CD. That this same band also made "Star," one of the best "alternative" records, ought to indicate to somebody that here was something special. I keep waiting for that notice to come.
A final note: I finally got to see Belly live at Cornell University in October of '95 or so, when their opening act was the also-unfairly-overlooked Catherine Wheel (plus a "special guest," who turned out to be the now-famous or infamous Jewel, depending on your point of view, about eight months before her record finally started to break on radio), and they were fantastic (as were Catherine Wheel, and as for Jewel, well, she's very good at yodeling). It's one of the two best shows I've ever attended--I even bought a T-shirt--but within a year the band would have broken up and all that would be left were the memories... and this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Covered in honey, Showered in beer", March 18, 2004
mwreview "mwreview" (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
King, Belly's sophomore effort, was not as popular as their excellent debut Star, but I like this album a lot and may have even listened to it more than Star. This album rocks more than the dreamy Star. The addition of bassist Gail Greenwood may have played a role in the heavier sound. The guitars on this album are amazing. They are heavier here than the unique, ethereal sound on Star yet still has a dainty quality at times. Some of the best examples of guitar is right off on the first two tracks "Puberty" and "Seal My Fate" the latter of which is one of my favorites on King. It is a very catchy rocker. Other favorites are "L'il Ennio" and the beautiful "Silverfish" which is my vote for the best track on King. It is just wonderful with a perfect chorus.
Unlike Star, I like the singles off of this album. Both are very catchy rockers "Now They'll Sleep," which had a cool video where the band members took over the roles of their stage crew, and "Super-Connected." My favorite part on "Super-Connected" is the slightly delayed guitar riff in the chorus. I'm sure there is a technical term for it, but anyone whose heard the song knows what I'm talking about. It really added character to the track. And, of course, the driving beat is great too. The album is just as solid as Star, maybe a little more so. The only track I do not care for is "Red" with its annoying "Red red red red" line. Otherwise, King is terrific and ends with the wonderful slow number "Judas My Heart." Unfortunately, King was the last studio release from Belly. Tanya Donelly continued with her solo career and, I've read, had a daughter which gave her a new priority in life. She has released a "best of" CD called Sweet Ride with B-sides and rarities as well as hits that is worth checking out. I think King has aged very well and recommend to anyone who likes "alternative" rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST ALBUM OF THE 90'S!!!, February 21, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
This is by far the most impressive, melodic, and addicting album of the 90's. The songs will be crammed in your head for days. Absolutly unforgetable. Tanya Donelly and co. have remade themselves as a modern rock breakthrough with this album providing the listener with a set of songs that will have you appreciating of what a rock band of modern times should sound like. All songs stand on their feet and never fall down, keeping their balance throughout the album's constant shift in musical variousness. Things get spunky with "Red" and easily slow down for the superb "Silverfish"(Is their a place for me in the paterns that glow on your skin and your clothes?). "Super-Connected" is a prime example what Belly is capable of on KING. Chris Gorman's percusion booms, Donelly and band mate Tom Gorman duel in a feirce guitar battle while Gail Greenwood sings under Tanya and her bass lines soar. On the second half things get quite dark and atmospheric with the sultry,stand out number "Untitled and Unsung" but there's plenty of room left to breath on the beautiful closing ballad, "Judas My Heart". KING is an ideal album of pure genious. Tanya Donelly is what so many female rockers try to be. She is the prime example of the modern rocker. Being a cut above the rest, she is too clever to abuse her gifts and creativness by following used up trends found so often in musicians music nowadays. Tanya, keep on rocking.

5.0 out of 5 stars I miss Belly, February 10, 2000
EUMING LEE (Milpitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
I saw Belly at the Edge in Palo Alto as they were promoting King. They were headlining with Catherine Wheel, and Jewel was the opening act... which was my first introduction to Jewel. Jewel put in a nice performance, and the songs were kind of catchy, but I thought that her lyrics were blah and she was too folksy and mellow to really rock.
Compared to Tanya Donelly's haunting lyrics and dreamy rockin' riffs, Jewel was like a high school band opening for a professional orchestra. Who knew that in a few years, this bland chick would be on top of the "alternative" charts and have published her own book of boring poetry, while Belly would have split up! There is no justice in the world!
Oh well, I guess I have to move on and find newer and better music. But it hasn't been easy finding anyone to replace Belly as one of my favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff....., June 20, 2001
D. Jackson (Cookeville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
....but not as good as star. I love ethereal, haunting vocals, and this album has them, but buried a bit more deeply in "listen to me, listen to me" percussive stylings. My favorite songs on "Star" were Stay, Untogether, and Star, so you know where I'm coming from if you know those songs. If your favorite song on Star was Gepetto or Feed the Tree, you'll probably like King better than Star. If your favorite song on Star was one of the three I mentioned, most likely you'll like Star better.
By the way, if you haven't checked out Tanya Donnely's solo album, Lovesongs for Underdogs, you should - it's excellent, and I'd easily rank it King's equal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny yet dark at the same time, August 1, 2001
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
King is probably the record i have heard most of all in my life . It's the record which helped me enter the small , private universe of Mrs.Donelly .It contains harsh pop songs which the listener actually has a hard time finding appealing in the beginning . If you have the patience though to listen to them many times and carefully ,then you'll discover the magic of this great record. There's something weirdly charming about the unexcpected turns the rythim takes in songs like " L'ill Ennion " and " Untilted and unsung " . Unlike Star , in this album the band didn't seem so interested in creating a backround atmosphere but was focused on reproducing the feeling of their live appearances .The biggest plus of King though is undeniably Donelly herself . Her childlike hysteria is something you can almost get obsessed with while her songs contain once again those mysterious , schizophrenia-like lyrics we all ( or at least some of us ) loved .The only weak track here is Judas My Heart , slow and clumsy perfomed .Generally her best lo-fi moment was the spectacular Low Red Moon on her band's debut album . After 1997's Lovesongs For Underdogs , Donelly has dissapeared somewhere and it seems unlikely to see her recording again in the future . So , take the risk to buy one of her offerings in order to discover what she was all about . It's a love-it-or-hate-it case , i know but there's a big possibillity you might find a new Goddess to worship .

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Belly CD., June 5, 2000
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
This is my favorite Belly CD. Compared to Belly's critically acclaimed "Star" album, "King" is more electric guitar based and popier than "Star". "Star" was more acoustic based and, while it did have it's number of pop songs, "Star" did not have as many as "King". This is Belly's most accessiable album. Many of the songs on here are catchy and well crafted.
When Belly put out this album, they were pushing for mainstream success. In matter of fact I remember seeing the band many times during this period, several times on MTV's 120 Minutes performing "Seal My Fate" and "Red". And I saw Belly on the Jon Stewart show performing some of their songs. Unfortunitly, it was this album that lost Belly their initial fan base that they gained from the "Star" era, as the band moved away from their acoustic based dream pop and in to more stylized guitar pop. What a shame. Highlights include, "Red", "Superconnected", "King", "Now They'll Sleep", Untitled and Unsung", "Lil' Ennio", and "Judas My Heart".

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time..., January 22, 2004
dvdtrkr (San Diego CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
I truly hope that people discover this gem of an album, one that had critical praise at the time, but commercial sales were lacking, which ultimately and unfortunately led to the demise of the band (lost in the grunge shuffle of the era), whose pop-rock style was way ahead of its time (as was Letters to Cleo and 4 Non Blondes, who wound up breaking up for similar reasons). Boston never got the props that Seattle got in the early 90s, but the music that came from there was as amazing. It fits in 2004 more than it did 1995.
Belly is definitely one of the best bands to come out of Boston and both CDs are well-written, produced, and sound awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Graduate High School in the Late 90's??...., September 23, 2000
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
...Then you would be familiar with Belly. They had a few hits. Nothing too spectacular. But the songs will bring you back to the days of Blind Melon, the 'Cannonball...Crash' song, and well, yeah, Nirvana.
The lead singer in Belly has a childlike, slightly scratchy, Juliana Hatfield-reminiscent voice. Crazy, Bjork-like lyrics that only make sense when you jump up and down really fast in a dancing frenzy.
In my mind, definately 4 stars -- a great CD! And one of the few from my teenage days that I will swear to always hold onto.
Buy this CD. Sit down with a bowl of ice cream. And flip through your yearbook.

King
King by Belly (Audio CD - 1995)
Rate and Discover Movies