5.0 out of 5 stars ABSORBING
Published on November 24, 1999 by Regency Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Um, did I read a different book than everyone else?
Or am I burned out after reading four Holt's in a row? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Published on June 18, 2009 by Misfit

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSORBING, November 24, 1999
I've read Victoria Holt before, but I think this one is the best by far. I simply couldn't put it down. Make sure you have a few hours of undisturbed time before you open this one up! The plot, the characters are so deep that you can't help being pulled in and held there til the very last page. As many books as she has written, one never reminds you of another, they're all originals!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another classic tale of suspense from Victoria Holt, June 30, 2004
This review is from: The King of the Castle (Hardcover)
King of the Castle is a classic Victoria Holt suspense novel: a young heroine visits a strange locale, gets caught up in a series of mysterious events, and becomes romantically involved with someone who may be a murderer. In this case, the protagonist is Dallas Lawson, who, at the age of 28 and unmarried, is left bereft after the death of her father. In desperation, she accepts (under false pretenses) a commission which had been offered to her father three years before: the restoration of paintings at a French chateau. But of course, once she arrives, she finds much more than she bargained for: the unsolved mystery of the lost family emeralds, which disappeared during the Revolution; a wayward teenage girl who may actually intend her harm; rumors that the Comte of the chateau murdered his wife; and of course, the enigmatic comte himself. As always, Holt's storyline is both interesting and engaging, although those who have read many of her books may find the progression of the plot to be somewhat predictable. However, the ending definitely comes as a surprise in this enjoyable historical thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, July 19, 2003
By A Customer
I just finished this book (my 12th Victoria Holt novel!!) and like always, she can spin a tale of gothic romance like no one else. I wish, God how I wish, this talented woman was still alive and writing, because no one did it better. Her sense of detail, setting, people, is just so lush and vibrant. This novel is set in France and revived my interest in French culture! This is also a fast moving book, full of energy. You will love it! If you have never read Miss Holt, read this, Mistress of Mellyn, and On the Night of the Seventh Moon and just see how quickly you become a huge fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars The king of the castles suspense, February 20, 2002
By A Customer
This book is good at keeping you in suspense. Dallas Lawson is a painter who goes to a country estate wich belongs to a mysterious and aloof man(the comte)durring the 1800's. Where she is thrown into mystery and adventure. She went there to find a job of restoring paintings only the job of restoring wrong doing has found her. I highly recommend this book. Its the kind of book to read on a dark rainy day or anytime for that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Suspense has Struck Again!, February 16, 2000
This is a great book by Victoria Holt. Once you get into it, you'll never be able to let go. She makes you feel like you've known the characters for you entire life. You'll love the way it ends up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I ever Read, February 16, 2001
Pat Pipes (Frankfort, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This was the first Victoria Holt book I read over 32 years ago. Since reading this book I have collected and read all of her books. I could not wait until the next one came out. I turned many of my family and friends on to her books and they had the same anticipation that I felt when I picked up the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The king of the castles suspense, February 20, 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one the very best books i ever read., September 16, 2001
Jan Erickson (portland oregon usa) - See all my reviews
Victoria holt weaves a web of mystery love france dignity and sheer terror that is simply spellbinding . if its the last thing you ever do you must read this book. I'm at a loss for words so just read the book okay

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Mysteries I have ever read, March 10, 2007
This is the first and only Victoria Holt book I have read yet. I love mysteries and read them often. Of all mysteries I have read this is one of the best. I liked it so much sometimes I would stay up into the early hours of the morning because I could not put it down. It is a wonderful book, give it a try.I have plans to read many more of her books. She is one of the top authors on my list of favorite authors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Um, did I read a different book than everyone else?, June 18, 2009

Dallas Lawson was trained to follow in her father's footsteps restoring old paintings but when he dies she's left at a crossroads - take a position as governess, take charity from relatives or try to continue the career she's trained for in a man's world. A commission comes in for her father from the Comté de la Talle of Chateaux Galliard and she accepts, although she "forgets" to mention her father is dead and she's coming in his place, much to the chagrin of everyone at the Chateaux.

Dallas settles in to life at the Chateaux and begins work on the paintings, but in typical Holt fashion our heroine soon finds things amiss in the household. The Comté is dark and brooding (of course) and suspected of killing his first wife. His daughter Genevieve is a spoiled fourteen year old brat with a penchant for shutting doors at the most inappropriate times (remember that), a mystery surrounding some Emeralds lost during the Revolution along with Dallas' discovery of a long hidden wall painting that may reveal a clue to the location of those emeralds.

On paper that all sounds appealing to fans of Holt and the romantic suspense genre, but unfortunately this one fell flat as a pancake - at least for this reader. I just did not warm to Dallas; I found no chemistry whatsoever between Dallas and the Comté, Genevieve pretty whiny and irritating, a mystery that wasn't much of a mystery at all, and worst of all a baddie was pretty easy to guess. Meh. Only for die-hard fans of Holt set on reading all of her books, otherwise I suggest you pass.

King of the Castle
King of the Castle by Victoria Holt (Audio Cassette - Oct. 1988)
Out of stock