I've seen this movie so many times I could practically spout all the dialogue verbatim. I loved this movie as a kid, and continue to enjoy it well into my old age; I'm just glad to see it finally in the crisp BluRay format.

Published 5 months ago by Timothy D. Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice transfer for a classic film.
Published 5 months ago by Asian Mack

4.0 out of 5 stars There will never be an American release of the Japanese version of this film, April 14, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

I am addressing a complaint that I've seen in many other reviews, and one that I have myself: the lack of the Japanese (and, arguably, superior) version of this film. We've gotten spoiled by Sony and other distributors who've put both versions of the Godzilla films on their BluRay releases. The problem with doing that with this film, simply put, is a rights issue. Universal has the exclusive rights to the American version, Toho has exclusive rights to the Japanese version. As far as I understand it, this agreement is perpetual. The agreement also provides that neither studio can sell their version in the other studio's territory/market.

Therefore, fellow fans, the unfortunate truth is you will never see the Japanese version of "King Kong vs Godzilla" for sale in the USA (at least legitimately). You'll have to purchase the Japanese version directly from Japan, and then play it in an all region/region free BluRay player. That's a familiar situation for the longtime Godzilla fan, myself included, who haunted science fiction or comic conventions in order to purchase Japanese VHS tapes, and eventually DVDs, of Godzilla films long before they were ever made available through American companies. You'll have to decide for yourself if that's worth doing in this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough of this movie., May 7, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have 3 copies of this movie on DVD, 3 on VHS, and this newest one on Blu Ray. I'm addicted to this movie; it might be silly, but sue me. I watch it a dozen or more times a year, and I let it run (audio only) in my car now and again. Funny. Thrilling. Goofy. I remember the first time I saw it on TV, I was a little kid in the safety of my home, at night, with my mom and dad, and so it's a kind of mental comfort food to me. Some people think it's a disgrace that Godzilla and King Kong are starring in what's essentially a comedic kid's movie, but I say so much the better. Everything about these movies makes me feel good, and this new print is the best it's ever looked. KKvG doesn't seem to have been as well maintained as some of the other movies Toho made, but I can't tell watching this newest one. The sound is markedly better---I watched the DVD, then quick put this new Blu Ray in, and there was a noticable improvement. I have tinnitus, so any difference in audio quality is usually lost on me.
The only thing I wish is for a similar quality version of the Japanese cut. I have one that's pretty good, quality wise, and I love it too, but I'd sure like another of Blu Ray caliber. Get this if you love a good time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice transfer for a classic film., April 15, 2014
Asian Mack "Art" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I will not review the film itself in this review but I will point out that I enjoy the original Japanese version of the film better. In the American version, a lot of the English dub is pure cheese and in some cases not in a good way and there are missing scenes from the Japanese version; and of course added American scenes. But onto the blu-ray. When I first popped in the blu-ray, I was disappointed that there was not a nice menu with scenes from the film playing. But as I got past that, I was stunned at the transfer. The video looks very, very good; much better than Media Blasters' transfer for "Destroy All Monsters". The audio is pretty good too. Overall, I am pleased with my purchase and enjoyed watching the film in 1080p. I do recommend this blu-ray. If you must have the original Japanese version of "King Kong vs. Godzilla", it is being released by Toho on blu-ray in Japan in July; with supposedly a new digitally remastered transfer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray vs dvd, April 5, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was surprised how crisp and colorful some of this movie looked. But as people have mentioned, no extras, no Japanese with english subtitles, and no Japanese version. But I new all this going in, so no surprises here. Just mentioning it so nobody expects anything really great. This is the version I saw as a kid, so I don't mind it. The Japanese version is much better, just like most of these movies. But I do realize some people don't like reading subtitles. To me, it was well worth it till something better comes along. To answer the title question, I think the Blu-ray is much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Godzilla Movie to Add to Your Blu-ray Collection, May 11, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is one of the classic Godzilla movies. First Godzilla movie in color, King Kong's fist appearance since his original movie, and the kick off to the Godzilla movies of the 60s and 70s. The movie looks great; nice and clear. Beautiful transfer to Blu-ray.

The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because you're only getting the American version. Just like the original Godzilla King of the Monsters (Japanese version: Gojira) and Godzilla 1985 (Japanese version: The Return of Godzilla), King Kong vs. Godzilla has a lot of extra scenes filmed and added into the American version. So many that they usually delete some of the original Japanses scenes to make room for the American scenes. You watch Gojira and The Return of Godzilla and there's about 30 - 40 minutes of scenes you didn't get in the American version. I would have liked to have seen the Japanese version included in this Blu-ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality!, April 4, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Seeing this edition on Blu-ray brought me right back to 1963 when I saw it in the theater with all my friends. The video quality is very nice, but the audio really shocked me--it's excellent! It's not true surround of course, but the dialogue and sound effects really come through. I'm now viewing it on a ten-foot Firehawk screen and the image holds up quite well. It's a fun time to be sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Battle of the Century in Beautiful Blu-Ray!, April 7, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have mixed feelings about this film. Having seen it when it was first released theatrically in America (I was ten years old) it was a stunning sight to see. I had seen the original Godzilla on TV but this was my first experience seeing the Big G in a movie house in color and wide-screen.
However, entertaining as it undoubtedly is, this American version cheapens the Japanese version with its languidly portentous American-inserted scenes in a movie which was, by the way, intended as a comedy from the get-to, and as a result remains to this day the most-attended Godzilla film of them all.
Having said that, this version is in beautiful color (Hajime Koizumi was the Japanese cinematographer) and the effects are a something of a hit-and-miss affair. Simply put, Godzilla fans tend to love it but Kong fans, well...
Certainly director Ishiro Honda had mixed feelings about making the film and it shows in his direction, uncomfortably balancing between silly comedy and tragic drama.
Some special features would have been nice (documentary, commentary, etc.), but it's hard to pass up the first movie teaming the most famous fearsome monsters of all time (both making their cinematic debuts in color) and is a must-have for the collector.
- Peter H. Brothers, author of "Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: the Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda."

2.0 out of 5 stars clear and crisp but lacking in special features, April 4, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
with HD streaming and digital purchases nowadays, most people come to expect more when they go out of their way to buy blu-rays. the film was clear and sound was decent, but there are no special features. More disappointing, there is no option to watch in the original Japanese audio track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically a good release, but disapointing overall., July 10, 2014
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I wish I could give this a higher score. Just looking at it technically, it's a good release. The transfer looks good and it sounds great was well, my issue is really in the presentation. I wish this would have had the original Japanese version on the disc with it. This is one of the only Godzilla films that hasn't been released in the US in its original form. There are quite a bit of edits, American shot footage of news broadcasts inserted and of course dubbing only. If you were a fan of this version that this is probably a 5 star rating for you. For me however, I have no affinity for the American version as I was not born when it came out, I can't help but be disapointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A not-great Godzilla installment, not helped by Blu ray, May 1, 2014
JOHN (Cambridge, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
King Kong vs. Godzilla is one of the most problematic in the Godzilla series right out of the gate, thanks to a dragging story and long objectionable sequences featuring Japanese actors performing as "natives" in blackface. The Blu Ray transfer here is uneven at best, with a lot of noise and film grain in several places. More importantly, it does no favors for a movie with effects that are low-rent even by the standards of the Showa series. The Godzilla and Kong suits are lackluster, as are the effects overall and rendering them in high-definition only accentuates their flaws. The audio mix is mono and no better than the DVD version, despite the packaging's promise of "theatrical quality sound."

As other reviewers have noted, this is the American version of the film, and the Japanese version is not offered on the disk. Having seen both, this is a rare occasion when one can make a case for the American version being better, despite atrocious dubbing, thanks its cutting a couple minutes of fat.

The problem is that Godzilla vs. King Kong's appeal is limited, due to the issues outlined above. It is a terrible introduction to Godzilla for people who haven't seen other films in the series, and it is most attractive to hardcore Godzilla fans, who will want the Japanese version as well.

I note that other reviewers mention rights issues regarding the Japanese version; I don't know anything about that, but I did purchase the Japanese version on an imported DVD with subtitles some years back. This disk is available via Amazon.com here:

The reviewer describes it as a bootleg. I am not sure that's the case, the packaging is in Japanese and prominently features the Toho logo on the spine. It was purchased in a store and several other kaiju titles were available with the same packaging.

Because I have a complete collection of Godzilla on film, I'm reasonably satisfied with this purchase, but I would recommend that newcomers to Godzilla start elsewhere.

King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray]
King Kong vs. Godzilla [Blu-ray] by Ishiro Honda (Blu-ray - 2014)
$14.98 $12.98