Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 17, 2006
These stories are delightful, the illustrations are superb...I bought a copy for my grand-daughter, and was so enthralled that I ordered a second copy for me!
on June 30, 2009
This audiobook was awarded the 2010 Audies for Audiobook of the Year and Best Multi-Voiced Audiobook. It was nominated for a Grammy, received a number of other accolades and awards.

The story readings on this audiobook are wonderful for children of all ages and adults as well, and your purchase supports children in South Africa orphaned by AIDS.

The readings are done by numerous remarkable actors including Gillian Anderson, Benjamin Bratt, Don Cheadle, Matt Damon, Whoopi Goldberg, Sean Hayes, Samuel L. Jackson, LaTanya Richardson Jackson, Debra Messing, Helen Mirren, Parminder Nagra, Sophie Okonedo, CCH Pounder, Alan Rickman, Jurnee Smollett, Charlize Theron, Blair Underwood, Forest Whitaker, and Alfre Woodard with a message from Desmond Tutu and music by African legends Johnny Clegg and Vusi Mahlasela.
on August 5, 2003
The stories are rich and full of life. Storytelling lives on...thank you!
on July 9, 2014
This is a delightful book. The different stories may be best suited for different ages due to the level of inference used. The stories are lively, engaging and many have morals or lessons to be learned.
on June 25, 2013
I have been reading these aloud at bedtime to my 8 year old twins and they both love them! Why? They are anything but predictable! I think they have come to expect happy endings or moral lessons, but these stories often have twists that surprise them. Not a lot of illustrations, but the ones they have are lovely and diverse. We have enjoyed looking at the map of Africa marked with flags of where the stories come from. Also have had the opportunity to talk about Nelsen Mandela and his story, which is new to them. Great all around book!
on October 2, 2013
I guess this is modern. I miss the stories about the rabbit, turtle, elephant. Anasi is a man, I thought he was a spider. Teaches morals. It's better than not having anything and the narration is excellent.
on June 28, 2015
This is my family's favorite book. Packed full of excellent and interesting folk tales, it is the one I choose most often to read to classrooms, special groups or to my own children (3 and 7) at bedtime. We began with the companion CD of celebrity voices then wanted the entire collection. Countless classmate's parents have asked for the book's title after I read to the class. This book is a treasure and a very smart addition to any library. A few stories have death (an evil bird) or a fight (knocking a bully down) but it is all in context of excellent life lessons. I feel confident opening it to any page and reading to any child.
on April 27, 2013
I go to Kenya and work with a little school of children....I collect children's books about Kenya or
in this case....the folk takes by Nelson Mandela....perfect for my collection and for sharing with my grandchildren........
on August 13, 2011
Yes - the cause is 5 stars; the stories, less than 5. I've heard 6 so far and I thought only one was good (the very first one). Several are relativly long but do not use the duration to tell anything deep, particlarly interesting, of value... they are just stories. I don't find these anywhere near as good as Tell Me A Story: Timeless Folktales from Around the World, which I believe include some great African tales.
on February 5, 2012
This audiobook is just lovely. I bought this for my 8 year old son for Kwanzaa, and we are both captivated. It's usually our "traveling music." The soundtrack is brilliant, and the stories are just the right length for a listener of any age. My son and I are both very visual people, and we are both practicing more attentive and active listening. We don't get "lost" in these fables. The variety of narrators also keeps it hopping. It's fun to see if you recognize the voices as there are quite a few Hollywood A-listers narrating. My only recommendation is that you purchase the book as well as the CDs. The book would be a great supplement to those trying to improve reading skills.