5.0 out of 5 stars 2010 winner of audiobook of the year!
This audiobook was awarded the 2010 Audies for Audiobook of the Year and Best Multi-Voiced Audiobook. It was nominated for a Grammy, received a number of other accolades and awards.

The story readings on this audiobook are wonderful for children of all ages and adults as well, and your purchase supports children in South Africa orphaned by AIDS.

The...
Published on June 30, 2009 by S. R. Gelman

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange!
This collection of folktales has some true gems. I truly liked the one read by Whoopi Goldberg... it was just amazing. She does such an outrageous job! She takes the story and runs with it. It's worth buying this CD just to hear her read the story about the troublesome genie.
Published 7 months ago by e

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 2010 winner of audiobook of the year!, June 30, 2009
S. R. Gelman (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews

The readings are done by numerous remarkable actors including Gillian Anderson, Benjamin Bratt, Don Cheadle, Matt Damon, Whoopi Goldberg, Sean Hayes, Samuel L. Jackson, LaTanya Richardson Jackson, Debra Messing, Helen Mirren, Parminder Nagra, Sophie Okonedo, CCH Pounder, Alan Rickman, Jurnee Smollett, Charlize Theron, Blair Underwood, Forest Whitaker, and Alfre Woodard with a message from Desmond Tutu and music by African legends Johnny Clegg and Vusi Mahlasela.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous...., February 17, 2006
These stories are delightful, the illustrations are superb...I bought a copy for my grand-daughter, and was so enthralled that I ordered a second copy for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Lovely, August 5, 2003
By A Customer
The stories are rich and full of life. Storytelling lives on...thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Audio for a Wonderful cause, September 13, 2009
Nelson Mandela put together this amazing group of celebrities to read and help tell his favorite African Folktales with proceeds going to help AIDS/HIV children in South Africa. That makes it good enough for me. But add to that the fact that the folk tales are charming and so well presented, and you give a gift as much as you get a gift. Well worth it. I also gave it as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy!, June 7, 2007
I bought this book for my newborn and I recommend it for children of all ages. The stories are great tales to share with your family. They are even entertaining for adults. I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange!, February 10, 2014
But many of these tales are disturbing, like the one about a rabbit who does something wrong and then gets a cleft lip and palate as punishment. I really don't like the idea teaching children to think of people with birth defects as bad people who are deserving of deformity. There are many strange moments like this in these stories. Bad messages, disturbing messages... you basically have to listen to the whole things yourself first, screen it and then only play the stories that are appropriate because you cannot trust that these stories are going to be acceptable from a content level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Lovely, February 5, 2012
This audiobook is just lovely. I bought this for my 8 year old son for Kwanzaa, and we are both captivated. It's usually our "traveling music." The soundtrack is brilliant, and the stories are just the right length for a listener of any age. My son and I are both very visual people, and we are both practicing more attentive and active listening. We don't get "lost" in these fables. The variety of narrators also keeps it hopping. It's fun to see if you recognize the voices as there are quite a few Hollywood A-listers narrating. My only recommendation is that you purchase the book as well as the CDs. The book would be a great supplement to those trying to improve reading skills.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay, October 2, 2013
I guess this is modern. I miss the stories about the rabbit, turtle, elephant. Anasi is a man, I thought he was a spider. Teaches morals. It's better than not having anything and the narration is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stories with fabulous pictures!, December 20, 2012
This book includes stories from all of Africa and is excellent reading for kids of all ages as well as adults. The pictures are bright, detailed, and enhance the stories. I bought this for a five year old and enjoyed it as much as he did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales, December 12, 2012
Brenda Wamsley "Bren" (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
It was a gift to my sister so I haven't actually read it myself. But She was super suprised and says it was an awesome gift.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›