Kingdom of Amalur or Dead Island

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2012 12:16:06 PM PST
S. Cooper says:
Going to pick up one game from Amazon. Can't decide if it will be Dead Island or Kingdom of Amalur...

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:18:16 PM PST
M. Phillips says:
KoA for sure.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:21:39 PM PST
S. Cooper says:
Any particular reason? Played the KoA demo and liked it. Never got a chance to play the Dead Island demo. Searched on the marketplace, but they must have taken it down.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 12:24:33 PM PST
NCGuy says:
If you like killing tons of zombies then get Dead Island. Plus 4 players Co op is nice.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:04:47 PM PST
I'm Uzi says:
I like both, quite honestly.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 2:19:53 PM PST
S. Cooper says:
@UziSpray - if you had to pick just one, which one would you go with?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 4:12:58 PM PST
K. Medeiros says:
If you want us to decide for you..I'd say Dead Island. I'm having a blast. XD

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 5:11:44 PM PST
S. Cooper says:
Just wanted input from people that have possibly played both. Shame there isn't a demo available for Dead Island. Going to look up videos on YouTube of both games, lol.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:25:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 7:28:56 PM PST
I'm Uzi says:
It's really a tough decision. Both offer a lot of content, so it all comes down to if you're more in the mood for a first-person zombie RPG on a tropical island or a third-person RPG in a fantasy world. Both offer very good combat. Dead Island has some of the most satisfying first-person melee combat, while Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning offers some of the finest combat I've seen in any third-person RPG. I guess you could say Dead Island is slightly more fresh, as there hasn't really been a zombie RPG, but there have been a lot of zombie games. While Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning may feel formulaic and generic as far as fantasy games go, it just nails everything so perfectly and is very satisfying to play. Honestly, it all comes down to what you're in the mood for, because you honestly can't go wrong either way. However, if you really liked the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo, perhaps you should with that since you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy the full thing. Just make sure you're not getting Dead Island on PS3, as I've heard it's had many issues. Whichever you decide on, I hope you enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:35:50 AM PST
S. Cooper says:
Thanks for the input! How is the difficulty with Dead Island? Has the Dead Island developer fixed a lot of the issues that first plagued the game on release? Will be purchasing either game for 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 9:28:15 AM PST
I'm Uzi says:
The 360 version was always the most stable, however there's been some patches to fix the complaints that have arisen.

On the topic of difficulty, the first area in the game is relatively easy, but it gets much more difficult after you leave that area.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 9:35:14 AM PST
i dont think you can really compare the two. koa is third person action rpg, focus on single player. DI is first person melee-centric game with an emphasis on co-op. if u got a buddy to play with go with DI, if u need a singler player game KOA

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 11:24:46 AM PST
I'm Uzi says:
Dead Island is an RPG, not a mere L4D clone like you seem to be implying. There are skill trees, quests, hit points above characters like Borderlands, etc. Actually, it's like a melee-focused Borderlands, which I feel is a pretty apt comparison, because it's heavy on action, but it features all of the important RPG mechanics. I played the majority of Dead Island as a single player game and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 11:43:13 AM PST
S. Cooper says:
Thanks everyone for the input. The only thing that I'm debating about now is the replay value... I think once I beat KoA I will be done, but D.I. seems like the replay might be more for the buck... However as Alex B. stated these games are hard to compare each other. Just weighing the pros and cons of the game. Wasn't going to get KoA until a price drop, but wasn't expecting the $44.99 so quick.

On a side note... How is the community for Dead Island? Do people still play the game?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 9:54:16 PM PST
Jordan says:
dead island is fun for 1 maybe 2 playthroughs. i beat it twice then never wanted to even play it. Koa is 200 hours at the shortest(devs tested it knowing how to do everything and where to go) finishing all the side and main quests.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 9:27:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 9:28:56 PM PST
my 2cents is buy DI with a friend who has not played it yet and do the co-op together. it's pretty short me and a friend beat it in one week of night time sessions. it is also likely the only way you will find another player who has the same quests and sidequests - it's worth taking the time to do all sidequests as one chunk since the way the game progresses, u get "locked out" of doing some sidequests if you advance a chapter before you do them (not sure if this was a bug or intentional, but it definitely messed with the "flow" of gameplay IMO) i would not play it again and the DLC does not have good reviews (the newest DLC is not even co-op it's single player only)

@ uzispray i do not see where i make any of mention of L4D, any insinuated comparison is a misunderstanding. i have never even played l4d beyond some demos years back... your comparison of borderlands w/ melee is very apt however. not trying to flame here, just wanna point out u mistook my post.

edit; we also got di for under $20 used - i strongly reccomend it for the price, great fun even if shortlived.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:06:47 PM PST
I'm Uzi says:
Understood. Sorry about that.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:46:03 PM PST
Dead island became boring for me after my first playthrough, i say get KoA now and pick up dead island later

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 3:08:27 PM PST
S. H. Wells says:
My brother and I played through Dead Island and we loved it. Curb-stomping zombies and smashing their heads in with a baseball bat while exploring and leveling up is a lot of fun.

I also got Kingdoms of Amalur at release (because the story was written by RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane did the art). I am very happy with it. I am MANY hours into the game and still have a very, very long way to go.

If I had to decide one or the other, I think the deciding factor would be if my friends had Dead Island (and were still interested in playing it) that would be a mark in the favor of Dead Island. If you tend to play solo more often, or if you don't have friends who own Dead Island, then I would get Kingdoms of Amalur.

Honestly, you will get your money's worth with either game.

Dead Island = Co-op, zombie, gore, rpg, relatively weak story
KoA = solo, fantasy/magic, rpg, great story
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Xbox 360
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Xbox 360 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (444)