4.0 out of 5 stars Great Maps But Lacks Quality and Organization
Published 24 months ago by P. Romance

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money.
Published 23 months ago by Chris Melton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Maps But Lacks Quality and Organization, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Signature Series Guide (Bradygames Signature Guides) (Paperback)
Let me tell you one thing: My only reason I bought this guide in the first place was for the maps so I can locate hard-to-find chests. So, my expectations were pretty low at the start. Despite my negative thoughts, I did find this guide to be extremely helpful in navigating the intricate environment of the Kingdom Hearts' 7 worlds. However, there were a couple of flaws that can be off putting.

First, the quality of the book left much to be desired. The pages are flimsy. On par with magazine pages. They have this tendency to get those "wrinkles." Second, the setup was plain wrong. You know what they did? They actually placed the Bestiary before the walkthrough! Normally, it is usually placed in the back of the book where you can go to it as a reference, when needed. Not crucial knowledge to the game. So, who made this wise decision is beyond my comprehension. If you don't want any spoilers of future bosses, I suggest skipping to page 76.

Other than that, this guide will give you decent advice. At the start, it goes into the basics of the game: controls, main characters, etc. Next, you will learn about the spirits and how to take care of them. It gives a table of all available Friendly Spirits that you can create. (What would've been useful if they actual put information of the recipe location of where to get each one.) Then the Dream Eater Enemy Bestiary. Followed by the Boss Bestiary. And finally, you will reach the walkthrough. Each world is preface with the character information of the characters you will meet. They do sometime add some spoilers to these blurbs, so read them at your own risk. Next, the best part, is the maps of the towns. They only show where the Boss battle will be and where all the treasures chest are located. Then you get to the walkthrough. There are no real spoilers here. It gives the usual tips and hints if you need it. Most of the time, I skip it unless I'm stuck. But that's rare if you are exploring everything in the first place. And each chapter ends with the strategy on the final boss battle. Sora's walkthrough is shown first. Riku's comes directly after. It can be a pain flipping pages back and forth when you drop. But what can you do? The final chapters give a quick blurb about the command deck, items, and a laughable art gallery.

Considering the price, I would've paid more for quality, more extensive details for the best team line-ups and more extras. As is, I would recommend this only for the wonderful maps. If you are a Kingdom hearts fan, in any case, the game is pretty straightforward. There are no hidden quests to miss. So, technically, you don't really need it. But if you want this guide, get it for a cheap price. But I believe a good online guide would be the best way to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money., August 28, 2012
When I bought the BradyGames guide to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, I was expecting this to be just as descriptive, organized, and well-put-together. Mistake.This guide doesn't help at all with secrets of the game. I have favorites in my Internet sidebar to help me with secrets to this game, but I kept telling myself, "the guide will be here in a couple days, and it'll help me with everything." Mistake. I had this thing for a grand total of 30 seconds before I realized it was useless. Let me tell you my process of realizing this.

I open the package to see that the book is alot smaller than the one for 358/2 Days. I open the guide to see a table of contents page. I think, "Oh, well isn't that organized." I turn the page to see a list of characters, nothing different here. Moving on, a page telling me the objective of the game, controls, screen layout, etc. Next Section, Spirits (Dream Eaters). I see Problem #1. The book only tells you what items you need to synthesize your companions, and not how many of that item you need to make them or what rank they will be if you use those items.

Moving on, the next section is Dream Eater Enemy Bestiary. Problem #2: The guide doesn't tell you what items they drop if you are looking for a certain item to synthesize Dream Eaters. The book only tells you where to find them. But it's useless to know where they are if you don't know the items they drop. It tells you other things like HP, Magic, Defense, and other things a person that just wants to keep pressing the Attack button wouldn't care about. Next the Boss Bestiary is the same stuff, but I wouldn't trust it because it's telling me that the secret, most powerful boss in the game (Julius) is less powerful than Rinzler when you fight him in the secret portal.

Finally, we get to the story. Normal stuff on the first page of the walkthrough: Tutorials, Strategy, names of events. Next page, we see the portal map. Mistake #3: More of a personal feeling, but I didn't like the way it was set up on this page. It seems like it was all crammed in together to fit into this one page, and I didn't understand most of it. Next, I see a page listing local characters for that world. No opinion on this, so I move on.

Next, I see Maps for Sora. Problems #4: This page is the one that tells you where to get all your treasures. The problem with that is that it doesn't tell you what treasure it is. The best way to explain this is with scenario. Imagine that you've finished the game and want to find a specific treasure to help complete the Reports. As if the map wasn't confusing enough, you would have to check every treasure chest and make sure you didn't miss it. I stopped looking for problems after this, but I shall go on so that no one makes the same mistake as me.

The rest of the walkthrough is stuff you would find in a regular strategy guide. The next section is stuff listed in the command deck, such as Attack commands, magic commands, etc. Nothing wrong with this, so I move on. Next Section: Dream Peices. I think, "Oh, so I find out what Dream Eaters to get them from here!" PROBLEM #5!!! This section only tells you what the items are and how much you can get them for if they are sold in the shop.

Lastly, Abilities. This section would be great if it told me what Dream Eaters I could get the Abilities from. But of course, we encounter Problem #6: The abilities are listed but not which Dream Eaters to get them from. It would be great if the book would tell you what dream eaters you got them from, or which set of dream eaters if most premium for each fighting style, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I would like to conclude with the fact that the only part of this book without flaws of my perspective is the Art Gallery at the end, which has a total of six pictures. I'll tell you this, the game itself doesn't tell you many of the secrets within the game, but it'll tell you more than this guide ever will. My advice is that if you have questions about the game, I strongly suggest you look for the secrets yourself, or find them on the internet, because this guide won't give you the slightest hint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide, But could be a LOT better - Missing some, what I feel is, Important Information!, September 9, 2012
I'm a collector of Video game strategy guides - I don't often use them, but this time I decided to use this guide to find some of the treasures and help me fully understand the Ability Link board. The treasure map sections were great, but the section on Dream Eaters was utterly LACKING - they tell you nothing about what the different depositions do, how to achieve these depositions, and how to fully finish each Dream Eaters Ability Link board! Some Dream Eaters have secret routes that can only be opened by making them a certain deposition - a very important piece of information I feel should have been included in the guide - not something I should have to search online for!. As a collector of Strategy Guides, it's nice to have another Kingdom Hearts one on the shelf (Now I need KH:1, KH: Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Birth By Sleep, and Coded [Or re:coded - whichever they made one for if they did, lol] - yes, I know, I'm missing a LOT in the KH Department - I do have the limited edition copy of KH:II Tho!

Good guide if you need it to find some treasures that are hard to locate, and if you want a step-by-step guide for each world, but the game is pretty straight forward, and I only had to use it a couple times to find some treasures - the rest I found on my own. Purchase if you want to add it to your collection, if you're OCD like me, but this is one guide I would pass on personally if you want it JUST for information. I give it a 3/5 just because most Brady games square-enix guides go up in value over time, so it's a good one to have for a collector. For information purposes - 2.5/5.

2.0 out of 5 stars 70% Complete Walkthrough!!, September 1, 2012
No, seriously. This guide is very incomplete. I'll make a review of this guide on how much it is lacking, seriously. I'll give you my pros and cons like I do with my other reviews.

Pros:
Very good maps and tell you where everything is. Not bad.
Characters bios are in the book and tell you who they are and why they are important (though all the info was taken from the game itself.)
Not bad boss battle strategies. Gives you a good explanation on how to beat the bosses of the game.
From Sora to Riku. The guide goes from Sora, to Riku, to Sora, to Riku, which is exactly what happens when you drop in the game.

Cons: (SO MANY!!!)
My first UGH of the book is the placement of the Dream Eaters/enemies/bosses in the guide. IT'S NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THE GUIDE! Many guides, the good ones, always place the enemies/bosses in the end of the guide, or after the walkthrough of the guide.
The enemy guide is very, very, very incomplete. It only tells you the stats of the enemy, and it only tells you where they are located, which doesn't really tell you much. They also tell you the resistances and of the resistances of them, but even then, that isn't much to go on. The BIGGEST FACTOR of the enemy guide being terrible is the item drops...THERE IS NONE!!!! You don't know what they drop. If you go to the item list, you don't know who drops it. It's terrible.
Even the techniques are incomplete as they tell you what they are, but don't tell you on how to get it, or which Dream Eaters have the technique.
Also, all the abilities that you get are all from the Dream Eaters. All Magic, Defense, and Attack come from leveling up, and HP comes from doing areas in a world. But the abilities are what seriously count in surviving in the game. The guide doesn't tell you which Dreams Eaters have the abilities at all. This is important, especially when playing on Proud or Critical Mode (which is what I always do when playing KH).
Lastly, Julius, the secret boss of the game, can only be fought after beating this awesome game. BUT!!!! There is no guide on how to beat him, at all. Nothing but a little boss intro in the boss section that tells you that he's resistance to Thunder, and his stats...and that's it. Even the first KH guide had a little section specifically for Lance Bass...I mean Sephiroth!

This guide to me is a collectible and isn't really helpful if you're trying to go for a complete 100% playthrough. That's why my title is 70% complete. This guide was most likely rushed when this game was coming out. Get this guide at your own risk, but trust me. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is an absolutely amazing game and is a great addition to my collection of the Kingdom Hearts games.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Kingdom Hearts Strategy guide yet., December 19, 2012
This guide is great for people wanting to find all of the treasure chests. But it doesn't help you with boss battles, or dream eater creations. This is too bad...

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Guide, December 10, 2012
The biggest flaw this guide has is that its missing a lot of the end game content, like hidden dream eater abilities and such, as well as how to get certain moods for dream eaters. Why they would leave this crucial content out I have no idea. I had to go on to gamefaqs to find out. Most everything else in the guide is common sense..

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the maps, September 12, 2012
They could have done a better job covering the spirits and drop items from dream eaters. I found I was using Gamefaqs.com more than the book which shouldn't happen if you have the strategy guide. It didn't even cover the boss battle against the secret boss. The maps sections were good though

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, September 1, 2012
First off, I buy every guide that every KH game has to offer simply because I'm an extremely loyal fan.

That being said, the only KH guide that I ever thoroughly liked and used throughout game play was the KH2 guide, all the other guides for the side-games have simply been completely useless and total messes.

As others have pointed out, it has some pretty pictures for the fan-boys/girls out there and the maps *REALLY* come in handy as I don't think I'm the only one that spent half the game lost or running around looking for things that I could never find. However, the game play tips are useless. It's frustrating because this was a solid handheld game that had a total of 5 final bosses (one of which had multiple forms) and I could've used at least *ONE* tip that wasn't "just keep moving and you'll win eventually."

Yes, thank you game guide, I would've been lost without your vast wisdom and knowledge.

To put it simply: it was vague, undescriptive, unhelpful and you'll be paying 20 bucks to read tips that state the obvious. BUT, if you're a huge KH fan like myself, you'll probably buy it anyways...and no one can blame you for that. Really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping You Navigate a Dream, August 6, 2012
In general, Kingdom Hearts has usually been a straightforward game. Although, from time to time there are lots of secrets and hidden goodies to unlock. Dream Drop Distance is another game that is relatively huge and brimming with lots of goodies and things to learn. Gameplay wise it is by far one of the biggest Kingdom Hearts to come out thus far. This guide will give you a good leg up. It's going to let you know just about everything you need to about Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

The guide begins by explaining the story thus far. A good place for returning players to refresh. Although if you've yet to dive into Kingdom Hearts it's spoilers galore. But I don't imagine too many players will jump into Dream Drop Distance as their first Kingdom Hearts romp. Considering how much story the series has really given us, it's not so bad that it tells a little bit here. It'll then introduce you to the characters and whatnot. The guide then jumps into the basics by telling you about all the wonderful new mechanics that Dream Drop Distance introduces. The guide explains the entire system for you really easily.

Beyond all the basics it goes into the Spirits. It'll tell you about making Spirits and what recipes you need. The bulk of this section is actually tables concerning how to make friendly Dream Eaters and then tables upon tables showing you enemy dream eaters and bosses.

Once we get beyond this we'll finally be in the walkthrough. Normally this is where things for a guide start to go wrong. And upon first playing Dream Drop Distance the first question became, how would a guide aptly handle the "Drop" mechanic and switching between Sora and Riku? The obvious answer, of course, is that each section of the walkthrough has a "Sora Walkthrough" and a "Riku Walkthrough." Each section with each character has maps that show you where they'll start and what items can be found. Likewise, if there's a drop that happens automatically the guide will tell you about it. The guide doesn't pretend to know when you'll drop and when you won't. It's going to make for a little bit of page flipping, but it's really not so bad. There are also side bars to tell you about the tutorials and flashbacks that the game has you play. There are also some pretty helpful boss strategies. There's a lot of info on a page, though some of it is certainly superfluous. Why, for instance, does the guide have to explain the Flowmotion Basics in the walkthrough itself when it already has its own section in the game basics chapter? Not to mention the game itself will teach you and make you do the tutorial regardless? It's great the info is there, but doesn't really seem necessary.

That's not to say the walkthrough is bad or is too superfluous. It's actually really detailed. It always tells you a little about new characters when they appear, the maps are really detailed. It's just a good companion overall. The screenshots are also really clear.

Beyond the walkthrough you get all those appendices of abilities, items, and the command deck. The section you're not likely to spend a lot of time with, really. There's no section that's just for designated secrets and hidden goodies. All of those things you'll have to find scattered about in the walkthrough.

Overall it's a good guide. A really good and helpful guide. There's not a whole lot the guide doesn't do for you. It's a good guide that'll help you find out just about everything you need. There's going to be a bit of page flipping given how it's organized and laid out, but at least you'll be able to get through the game mostly spoiler free and knowing what's around the next corner while you're at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful, May 17, 2014
Fulfills needs perfectly! Nothing is better than this product at the moment. Highly recommended to anyone its low price as well!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kingdom Hearts 3D:  Dream Drop Distance Signature Series Guide (Bradygames Signature Guides)
$19.99 $14.22