Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$18.42 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Hardcover
I think I'd like to go to Tony Evans's church. To be honest, most men's ministry-type books turn me off, but in Kingdom Man, Evans's solid biblical exposition and challenging teaching make me want to sit at his feet so he can disciple me. Evans, founder and pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, doesn't waste time with pop psychology or feel-good stories. Nor is he concerned with equality or feminism. He's a good, old-fashioned, preacher of the Bible who believes men should be the heads of their families, and step up to take leadership in their homes, churches, and communities.

In the heart of Kingdom Man, part 3, Evans looks at Psalm 128 as the blueprint for a kingdom man. In his personal life, he "walks in [God's] ways. In his family life, his wife is "like a fruitful vine within his house," his children "like olive plants around your table." In church life, "the Lord bless you from Zion." In the community, he will "see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life."

Evans isn't shy about offering examples from his own life and ministry. The cynic in me got a little tired of his tooting his own horn. But my inner cynic was shut up by Evans's humility, as he attributes God's blessings in his life to God's power as well as to the foundation laid by his father, also a pastor and a kingdom man. Evans's success in life and ministry is challenging and inspiring, but also a bit intimidating.

If there's a weakness to Kingdom Man, it's that: the intimidation factor. Like many inspirational or self-help books, the author's success is difficult to translate into the readers' lives. Here's a highly successful man, urging the reader to follow his example and find success in his own life. I don't dispute the principles Evans lays down here, nor do I doubt that to the extent I apply those principles my life and my relationship with God will improve. But I was left feeling like Evans is on a higher, unobtainable plane. Perhaps if Evans would come over to Fort Worth to disciple me for a couple of years, I could get there, too.

Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for the complimentary review copy!
on April 18, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I bought this book in the kindle edition so that I could get an insight of what a Kingdom Man would and should look like; while i was on the go. I have several books by Tony Evans and I have come to enjoy reading his books. Kingdom Man so far has been a great read. I can see the role God has given man clearly and why men are not properly leading their families because of lack of alignment under God. Like one reviewer stated I now know what area to pray for my husband in so that God can use us for his honor and glory..My hopes are for my husband to be a Kingdom Man, and for him to model how a Kingdom Man looks like so that our daughters will know what to look for in their future husbands.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Too many men, including myself, believe they are a good man however that is not according to God. When does a man stop comparing himself to other men and start comparing to the standards of God? Kingdom Man sets the bar high for all men according to God's standards. It puts every man in check and shows them biblically how to be a better man, a Kingdom Man. Tony Evans gives great examples on how to be a Kingdom Man in your house as a husband and father, in your church and in your community. My advice is to take it seriously and take notes along the way. Use the book as a reference in the area you want to focus on to begin with. A Kingdom Man is a man that the devil says oh no when he awakes and starts his day. A Kingdom Man is a man who gets respect because his presence and trust in God demands it. A Kingdom Man knows God and how to pray to God. A Kingdom Man is man that God uses to fulfill His purpose through. Are you a Kingdom Man? Read Kingdom Man and find out if you are and if you aren't immediately apply the principles of the Bible and in the book to your life to become one. This is not an easy task but it is worth it.
on May 22, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
As a Pastor with a burden for men, I've read dozens of "men's" books over the past 25 years. There are many good ones. This one's the best. Tony really nails it.Every man should read this book!
on July 24, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Other than the Bible itself, I have never read a book that was more of an impact in my life. I've found myself meditating on the wisdom that Dr. Evans shared and instead of running from the convictions, I owned them and challenged myself to be better. I read Psalms 128 daily now. I want to be all that my wife and sons need me to be. I was never given godly instructions or knew how to be a man. I now know how to be a kingdom man.
on January 18, 2013
Format: Hardcover
"Kingdom Man" is an essential tool that every man needs in his tool box. This book will help guide any man on the road to fulfilling his calling and purpose for life. The three parts of this book (formation, foundation, and function of a kingdom man) are biblically rooted and accurately applied to life. In a day and age when so many men are roaming around life aimlessly, this book helps plant their feet on a firm foundation. In "Kingdom Man," every man will undoubtedly discover what God requires of him, why God requires it, and how aligning himself with God is a win-win situation for all of humanity.

Dr. Evans unapologetically states that men not being kingdom men is the source of the problems plaguing our families, churches, communities, nation, and world at large. The nice thing about this book is Dr. Evans doesn't just say we have a problem, but explains the solutions to the problem and gives advice on go about resolving the problem. This book has been written very well, to the point where it can be read by men on many different levels. One of the major draw backs to this book is the plethora of sports illustrations, especially football. I know Dr. Evans loves football, but not all men do. The illustrations are good and purposeful since they get the points across. But overuse of them will initially confuse the reader into thinking maybe this book is not for them and just for men who either play football or love it. This point seems to be further emphasized by the book endorsements found on the book jacket and inside the book. But if one can hold on for the ride and overlook this flaw, they will be in for a great read. And the good news is part three of the book is the best part of the book and is mostly absent of any sports illustrations.

I highly recommend this book for personal growth, discipleship, men's ministry, small groups, and even as a guide for preaching on passages of Scripture dealing with manhood or the role of husbands. I personally think this book is a resource every pastor should share with men aspiring to pastor, fathers to share with their sons, and older men to share with younger men. Dr. Evans offers some great biblical insights and principles in "Kingdom Man," that if followed and pursued can only bring about great things for the family, church, community, nation, world, and the kingdom of God.
on December 1, 2012
Format: Hardcover
I have really enjoyed all of the titles by Dr. Tony Evans that I have had the pleasure of reading. I always anticipate great analogies and clear and concise explanations of somewhat challenging biblical concepts. Once again, Dr. Evans is utilizing his gift in Kingdom Man.

Dr. Evans begins by sharing many startling statistics about men. Staggering rates of absentee fathers, prisons filled to capacity and divorce rates that rival the rest of the world are before us daily. Why? Men are failing to submit to authority of all levels, especially the most important one--GOD. He states that many men call God their king, but fail to submit to his authority and their lives make it quite evident. He shares the following :

A kingdom man is a male who places himself under the rule of God and lives His life in submission to the lordship of Jesus Christ. Instead of following his own way, a kingdom man seeks to know God's will and to carry out God's kingdom agenda on earth. When a kingdom man functions according to the principles and precepts of the kingdom, there will be order and provision. When he doesn't, he opens himself and those around him to chaos.
I was a bit hesitant in the beginning when I read several reports analogies, specifically football--I hate football. Since the title is geared toward men, i let it slide. But, true to form, Dr. Evans used them to illustrate the importance of each player being in position, with proper timing, as being integral parts of a cohesive unit--a team. Of course, every team's goal is to win and finish strong. In fact, I may even watch a football game.

Kingdom Man reviews that God is the head of Christ, the man is the head of the woman, Christ is the head of every man as well as the role of the church. Dr. Evans lays out spiritual concepts for what marriage, fatherhood, and success should really be about and how they should actually be evaluated. The infallible Word of God is always the standard and measuring rod. Kingdom Man is filled with helpful information for any man wanting to be a spiritual leader at home, at church, or even at his workplace. Models are given to illustrate how men can be wise and compassionate leaders while maintaining work, life, and family balance--which is often a challenge. He calls men to the carpet for fleeing from their responsibility to lead and for blaming their wives for the chaos in their homes. He challenges them to fall in line and lead. Ouch...

Woman are not exempt from the benefits of Kingdom Man. No matter what their station is in life, women can either be a help or hindrance to the man in her life. Whether it is because of unrealistic, selfish, or even ungodly expectations, women can sometimes cast unnecessary weights and burdens on men that interfere with and sometimes derail them from their purpose. They tear down when they should be building up. Dr. Evans' no-nonsense approach sheds light onto what women should really be looking for in their Kingdom Man and how to support him on that journey.

Kingdom Man also has many useful resources for readers. Visit the website and read the first chapter as well as the first Bible Study Curriculum session which is to be used with the accompanying DVD for group sessions. Read it, apply it, and share Kingdom Man with others and be blessed.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review of the title.
Format: Hardcover
Dr. Evans has brought to market a book that combines a strong Biblical basis for what a Kingdom Man, or devout follower of Christ should look like. If you relate to sports, and stories of a well connected and experienced Pastor you will love this book.

I love sports and enjoy seeing that inner spark of a man come alive with passion. To this end I can say that Dr. Evans hits his target.

The book broken down in three basic parts is designed to take a man from pew sitting passivity to an alert battle hardened man of victory.

Part 1: The Formation of a Kingdom Man

The author quickly jumps into diagnosing the problem and offers many helpful statistics that bring a sense of urgency to the reader. However, these stats are nothing new. We have known about this problem for decades. Perhaps we have forgotten. Perhaps we continue to ignore the true problem. Either way, Dr. Evans does not camp on these he moves quickly to solutions.

His solutions prove to be an entertaining romp into Biblical context, however, little was offered in the way of substantial revelations. Obviously, Dr. Evans concludes that the problem is men. Our passivity and unwillingness to engage the world in the love of Christ. The solution is God through willing men who will stand up and do something. Men who understand that they are a leader. Like it or not, accepting our God-given role is the Biblical call to Headship.

Part 2: The Foundations of a Kingdom Man

Dr. Evans offers a clear and compelling Biblical blueprint to man's calling and authorization to rule and reign with Christ. While this book is compelling, it offers more of the same ideas shared from every corner of the men's ministry world.

Do not get me wrong Dr. Evans offers a new, clear voice on the subject but in this day most yearn for a leader who will take things a step further and answer the question of why? Why are most men sitting stagnate in a church pew - unwilling or unable to connect with God and lead others in a battle to free the captives? Answer this question, and I believe we have the makings of a great book.

Part 3: The Function of a Kingdom Man (Psalm 128)

This, for me, is the most engaging part of the book. Dr. Evans breaks down Psalm 128 and overlays it with ideas to proper Kingdom Man living. His categories for this breakdown include a man's personal life, family life, church life and community life. This was decent,however, it was missing something.

Personally, I am never convinced that the Psalms or Scriptures were given to us so that we may obtain a formula to follow. Yet, time and time again, we go there. The problem for me is we overlay our perspective with Truth and attempt to make our perspective Truth. There were several ideas that Dr. Evans shared that I understood but believe fell a bit short of Truth. However, do not let that discourage you from reading this book. It is a "hurrah" kind of men's ministry book that will shake the dust off a few seats. As a whole, I wish that someone would spend more time addressing the problems with the pews. Maybe they are too comfortable?

Dr. Evans has a clear and resounding voice. Kingdom Man is a fresh voice into a tired topic. Don't expect to be awed by a new revelation of purpose, however, expect to be motivated to do more at church to advance the Kingdom of God.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Tyndale Blog Network program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on April 20, 2012
Format: Hardcover
This book, Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream by Tony Evans, couldn't have come at a more appropriate time in my life. Tony Evans writes this, "A cursory glance around our homes, churches, communities, and globe reveals that men--not all, but many--have missed the goal to live as a Kingdom Man." I have come to realize how much I've fallen short of what it means to be a Kingdom man. Evans defines a Kingdom man as "a man who positions himself and operates according to the comprehensive rule of God over every area of his life." For so long I have tried operate under my own power and it has severely affected a lot of my life. God created man and as a man, I am responsible. By God's grace and Tony Evans' faithfulness to call men to be Kingdom men, He is doing a work in me. I have heard God's call in my life to become a Kingdom man through the words written by Tony Evans. This book has the power to change mens lives as long as they will read it with an open mind and heart and a willingness to let God show areas where the reader can change and grow. It certainly has for me. There is so much pressure coming from the world and in how they define a man, but as Evans writes, "When you choose to seek God and His ways, you no longer have to be held hostage to the definitions of this world." I would highly encourage every man to read this book and be vulnerable enough to open your heart and let God come in and show you where you have fallen short. I also believe it would be helpful for women to read this book as well, especially those that are married, so that they can help encourage their husbands to become the man, Kingdom man, that God has for them.

"A kingdom man models himself after the greatest Kingdom Man of all."

Special thanks to Tyndale for providing this complimentary book to read and review.
on April 6, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Kingdom Man. This book is written for men. And boy did it hit home. Tony Evans writes this book very well and although you can read a lot of this type of book, this one to me was great because of how bluntly he writes. He uses personal stories, and motivational words to get men to alter their world view.

Kingdom Man can be summed up in this sentence from the book, "The solution to reversing the curse is simple: Kingdom men, man up."

I found that to be the best sentence of the whole novel. Dr. Evans also uses many crucial scriptural reference to get the point across of men stepping up into the Kingdom Men they are called to be. Dr. Evans uses intimidation to drive home a lot of points. I really like how effectively he was able to do this. Although some may not enjoy this type language, intimidation is for men. How else will we respond? If we are greeted with flowery positive language, we will dismiss as "just another self help book", but if we are confronted with our sin, our lack of reverence to God and lack of prayer to our Father - this will create us to look at how we are acting and possibly change.

I recommend this book to any man who is looking for a way to "man up." "Scripture supported all the principles discussed in the book and all the principles are easy to follow and explained well. The author is excellent at simplifying the Lord's guidelines for Christian men. This book is written in a straightforward manner and is well organized. I highly recommend this book for every Christian man to read!"

Disclosure: I received this complimentary copy of Kingdom Man courtesy of Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my honest review. I only recommend products or services that I have personally used or read and believe will be good for my readers. The opinions expressed in this post are my own. Your experience and opinion may differ from mine.

Tony Evans - Kingdom Man