5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Of War
This was an excellent movie. Very good story line, actors, costumes and scenery were superb. This is one of the best Thai movies I have seen and I've had seen a good number of them. The fighting scenes were very intense and the weapons were authentic.
Published on November 16, 2011 by Larry W

3.0 out of 5 stars JIMINY CRICKET I WISH I HAD PURCHASED THE BLU RAY!
The drama and historical aspects are great,however the picture quality is not up to snuff with my DVD version.I super duper like this movie and am proud to have it in my collection.This movie is a nice addition to "THE LEGEND OF SURIYOTHAI",another action epic concerning the history of the SIAMESE and BURMESE people.Thenceforth when i add a BLU-RAY copy to my other films...
Published on April 6, 2012 by james neilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Of War, November 16, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Starts Stilted and Slow . . . THEN GREAT!, October 6, 2011
Roy Clark "rclarknv" (Edge of Toiyabe Nat'l Forest, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Seven years ago I saw THE LEGEND OF SURIYOTHAI, directed and/or produced by a cousin of the Thai Royal Family. I thought it was truly awful. Yet hope sprung eternal and when KINGDOM OF WAR came out I got it to see if/how far Thai film making had progressed.

Oops, the first disk of this two-disk Blu-ray was awkward, talky; a mush of cute kids and glum,
sour generals discussing their problems (maybe a set-up history lesson?) Radically boring. But thankfully mercifully short.

BUT THE SECOND DISK CAME ALIVE! Great in every respect. Writing, design, production,
characterizations, acting, battle action; it's long too; over two and a half hours.
I was amazed and delighted.

Disk Two's action historic drama doesn't have boring discussions as in that first
disk. Suddenly it seems nepotism is out and 21st-Century Thai film-making is in.

For Amazon's great two-disk Blu-ray price of $17.99, in Disk one you'll see Thailand's lush scenery, stunning temples, historically-accurate costumes and weaponry. (I spent seven years in Thailand, learning about this incredible country) Disk One is a true-to-life history drama of Thai wars with Burma (now renamed 'Miramar')

The real cinema treat is in the second DVD, which is much longer. And SUPERB in every aspect.

I collect Asian films (mostly Japanese and Chinese). They're having a real renaissance,
blowing Hollywood and Bollywood away). If this surprise film is typical of new Thai films,
then there goes my movie budget.

In the last decade Chinese and Japanese films have made giant leaps. For more welcome-to-a-new-age entertaining Thai films, see Chocolate. It's no period piece; taking place in modern-day Bangkok. There's also Bangkok Dangerous [Blu-ray] a Western-Thai collaboration shot in Bangkok, starring Hollywood's hardest-working actor of late, Nicholas Cage.
Both well-done action flicks offering keen looks at Thailand, unique and memorable.

A long-time fan of Thailand, I hope their films continue improving. In the meantime, to see how far Asian film has come, here are six surprising titles: HERO, LEGEND OF THE BLACK SCORPION, BATTLE OF THE WARRIORS, THE BALLAD OF NARAYAMA, HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and DEATH NOTE. All, wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingom of War part 1 and part 2 (Blu-ray), October 6, 2011
This review is from: Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A very touching film of Siam empire history in blu-ray 1 & 2. I am longing for the 3rd part of this soon ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Possible Approach - 4.5 Stars, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When a movie is reviewed you often hear "Good but details missing" or "Informative but anticlimactic". Making a movie entertaining yet thorough enough to explore conflict and characters is one of the biggest challenges in film. So what approach do we see here? We get the history of a region split in virtually 2 different films.

Part 1 deals with the power structure of the region and fleshing out how important figures became who they were. Honestly at times it even feels like a made-for-tv historical movie. It can be a tad bit boring at times but the thoroughness of it keeps you from having to pause the movie and run to Google for elaboration. Part 2 on the other hand feels like a war epic. Everything is different from the musical score down to the cinematography - It just has a different feel. Having gotten all the ground work out of the way leaves the movie free to jump right into war. Albeit slow, I must admit the backstory of Part 1 was completely necessary for me. Although movies commonly use Indochina as a setting they almost never go into the history of the region or give them identity beyond stereotypical Southeast Asian jungle scenes. There is an entire history of culture and conflict that's very interesting and completely untapped. If you go into the first disk looking for a history lesson you'll find it much more bearable. Once you get through it you can relax and enjoy Part 2 without trying to understand the who's or why's. Granted it's probably not 100% accurate, but what movie is? The important part is the movie was informative enough to at least pique your interest in the history of the region.

So what you end up with is a movie that's both historical re-enactment and war epic. In total it's about 5.5 hours long but honestly when you purchase a film like this you shouldn't be expecting a popcorn flick.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Naresuanmaharaj, April 1, 2013
A very well-done production of this time of Thai history. Of course, it is drama not history, but it is nonetheless well-written, well-directed and exceptionally well-executed. I look forward to watching parts 3 and 4, as soon as they are completed and sub-titled in English. While I'm fluent in Thai, my grandsons need the sub-titles. For those who wonder who King Naresuan is, he is called "Naresuan The Great" because the original Thai kingdom was formed by him from the minor warring ethnic Thai states which had been conquered or forcibly allied to Burma. That kingdom is the direct predecessor to the present kingdom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some educational information on a little known country of Siam, January 17, 2013
This was a good educational film on Siam before it became Thailand and Burma before it became Miramar. I had the good fortune to visit Thailand and enjoyed the people and culture. For some of older folks I enjoyed going to the movies to see the musical masterpiece The King and I. However, like a similar foreign film called the Red Cliff I struggled with the first part of this 2 disk set trying to get a handle on which of the various Lords was on which side. The main characters were not a problem but, who was aligned with each was a big problem with me I just could not keep track. So with the subtitles and the foreign names it was tough. Still I would recommend this film for those who enjoy watching a fairly good foreign film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great two disc set -- can't wait for 3rd installment, March 11, 2012
This movie is really good .. very long with both discs (I think close to 4.5 to 5 hours) but it kept my interest all the way through. The story based on actual history is very good, with excellent character development, acting and humor as well as excellent action scenes. I can hardly wait for the excpected follows on DVDs ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie about a great country., February 15, 2012
This review is from: Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I started going to Siam (Thailand) some seven years ago and discovered a wonderful people and historical country which I was instantly drawn to. Have many Thai movies but my first love was The Legend of Suriyothai {Her name appears in the royal chronicles as "Phra Suriyothai."} the story of a young queen who sacrificed her life for her country, Siam, and her King. The movie came in three different versions with different lengths, I have all three. Her story is best told in the five, yes five, hours long version however no English subtitles so watch with my Thai friends who explain additional scenes to me. Most informative movie about this time (1491-1548) in Siam's history.

Kingdom at War is known in Thailand as King Naresuan: Episodes 1 through 4 of which we have Episodes 1 and 2 on this Blu-ray DVD. King Naresuan The Great is one of the great kings of Siam and this series is the story of his life and all the good he did for his people and the Kingdom. I bought Episodes 1 through 4 from ethaicd.com in Bangkok but they do not come with English subtitles, even though the movie is shown in Thai theaters with them. Have seen Episodes 1 and 2 in Thai movie houses and love them and now nice to be able to watch in my home here.

On one of my trips to Thailand I went to the back lot, movie set, where Episode 1 of the movie was shot, outside of Kanchanaburi, and saw the actual site where it was made and explored the whole area and looked at the props which were used and interacted with some of the elephants who took part in the movie. This was a most interesting trip.

In conclusion, I would urge you to take some time and learn about the history of Siam and her people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, July 8, 2014
Good movie. Historical movie about King Naresuan. Part 3 and 4 also released but for the moment without English subtitles. Hope for a release of part 3 and 4 with English subtitles also

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, February 4, 2014
Excellent plot and storyline. Enjoyed the fight scenes and the sword play. The movie is worth the buy - enjoyed this movie totally - especially the historical concept.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray]
Kingdom of War Part 1 and Part 2 [Blu-ray] by Chatrichalerm Yukol (Blu-ray - 2011)
$22.98 $16.98