4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK as DLC
This is a _very_ short campaign. Before going into the campaign itself:

Published on March 26, 2012 by azog

3.0 out of 5 stars DLC is fine, the game as a whole is worth it!
I got the complete package for this game with the DLC.

In all, it's good, and you should all play it.

Sadly, the company that made this game went broke.

Sadly because the game is fun, big, and has an interesting story, even if the names are hard to pronounce!
Published on December 13, 2012 by Elgabojhc

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK as DLC, March 26, 2012
azog (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning DLC: The Legend of Dead Kel [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This is a _very_ short campaign. Before going into the campaign itself:

Installation was much easier than installing the original game. Probably due to the fact that, by now, you have the Origin client installed, and the DLC installs thru that. Once installed, it does NOT show up on the main list of games, and the order receipt shows "no serial number necessary", so it was a little confusing at first how to actually PLAY the DLC. It doesn't appear in the main menu under "Downloadable content".

Once the DLC is installed, you "Continue" an existing game, and you'll trigger a new quest to start playing the DLC. You have to be level 10 to trigger the quest, but if you've finished the OC, you should more than meet the requirements. This is rather an interesting method to activate the DLC, and I liked it.

I was level 40 (the max), have most of my skills maxxed, and a nicely outfitted character who migrated right into the DLC campaign.

This said, consider the rest of this review to contain possible spoilers.

As I said, the DLC campaign is very short, and most of it revolves around building your new keep, which is a very sweet residence indeed, a miniature town. In between running the restoration quests, you complete the main story quests for Dead Kel, as many of these quests will intersect. So you'll be in the area anyways.

One word of warning, and a definite spoiler, once you begin the final Dead Kel quest, going into his dungeon, make sure you have enough inventory space to loot every chest and pile, because once you vanquish Dead Kel, it looks like you cannot return.

I didn't log how many hours I played until I defeated Dead Kel, but it was certainly less than 10, and probably something you can hammer out over a weekend. As I said above, since I was maxxed out on character, at no point in playing did I get that "oh crap" feeling, where I was in over my head. That's kind of unfortunate, and as annoying as it is to reload an earlier save, it's all part of the challenge.

Playing a game is not always about rushing to the end, and in this DLC, there are ongoing quests you can keep playing. These are similar to the "tasks" in the OC, and entail you talking to some of the denizens of your new castle, as you dispense justice or take on other challenges.

I have not tried to go back to the mainland of the OC, but I do know you cannot fast-travel to e.g. Rathir, so I don't know if there is a method to return...

There was no increase to the level cap, it's still level 40, and I really didn't find any loot that exceeded what I already had, save a few pieces of armor. I did miss some of the chests, so I'll go back and loot everything I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fun & Easy to Download and Activate!, September 28, 2012
L.S. (Parkville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This DLC is a very enjoyable addition to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning!
Just purchased and downloaded 9/25

Adds so much to the game, to extend your journey throughout Amalur. If any KOA:R fan does not get this, they are missing out.

This DLC adds:
-Player Housing that you upgrade via quests (rather then just buying from a vendor)
-Additional Advanced Skill Trainers (1 ea. alchemy, merchantile, & stealth)allowing you to max out all skills by end of game
-Additional Twist of Fate Cards (3)
-Additional Main quests (6)
-Additional Sides quests (9)
-Additional Faction quests (14)
-Additional Dungeons (8)
-Additional Armor & Weapons (39)
-Additional Armor Sets(6)
-Additional Monsters (8)
-Beast Training (8) giving you additional bonuses to crit, resistances, damage, stats, etc.

If you enjoy the base game, I would recommend this DLC as it adds even more to the game.

INSTALLATION IS NO PROBLEM IF YOU KNOW THE STEPS:
I see others noting that they had trouble with the install. The game works just fine on Win7 64bit operating systems. You simply have to install it correctly and not miss a step.

What you need to do is first, make sure you are logged out of the game, download the game on origin, once downloaded, (Now this is most likely where they are having trouble by missing this step) while signed into origin, and at the My Games tab (where it lists your other games along with KOA:R, you LEFT click on the Origin tab at the very top left, on the drop down menu, you click on Reload My Games. Once done, you mouse over the Kingdoms of Amalur game (in the My Games Tab) and click on Play. The game will load up and you will see that now under the Downloadable Content (in the menu of the game itself) you will see the DLC with a check mark along side it. Then once you enter into the toon you are playing, you will receive a quest for the DLC (have to be at least level 10 for it to show up).

It's really that simple (hope that helps those who stated they had problems). And you are off to enjoy even more KOA:R!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., September 28, 2012
I preferred The Teeth of Naros. Having played Teeth of Naros first, this was kind of a let down. While I really like Kingdom of Amalur: The Legend of Dead Kel seems like it was meant for someone between level 20-30 and not meant to be played end-game. If you do buy this, make use of this content right away. The free house is a wonderful addition at low levels, it's just not challenging enough end game. The story/charisma is not on the same level as Teeth of Naros. I believe the Titans received more fleshed out character development resulting in a better story.

Personally this should get the same rating as the base game. Still for 4.99 *amazon sale* It was good. Just given the choice between Teeth of Naros and The Legend of Dead Kel I'd choose Teeth of Naros.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun DLC, June 27, 2013
I have had no problems with this DLC at all. I liked the challenges of the additional quests and story line. I started it around level 12 or so, and found the foes and battles to be slightly challenging, in a good way. I actually had my character face some challenging battles where outcome was determined at last minute. I like that in a game DLC, not a cakewalk and actually gives some more flesh to this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best RPG I've played in years..., May 28, 2013
An open world fully fleshed out...

Hundreds of quests...

A rich back story...

Many hours of play...

On the downside, the player character gets too powerful, and battles become a cakewalk toward the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOOHOO!!, December 21, 2012
This game is sooooo much fun...please give it a try as you won't be dissappointed.I love it!The graphics will blow you away and the characxters are a wonderful mix together.

3.0 out of 5 stars DLC is fine, the game as a whole is worth it!, December 13, 2012
I got the complete package for this game with the DLC.

In all, it's good, and you should all play it.

Sadly, the company that made this game went broke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adds a lot of gameplay, November 29, 2012
The addition of this DLC provided a good amount of extra content and story. It was well worth the $10.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not activate!, September 14, 2012
I downloaded this add on because the original game was great. However, it would not work in-game. I contacted EA\ORIGIN tech and they could not help me. Therefore, I am out $10 bucks and no one gives a crap. Good luck if it works for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, December 24, 2013
First, I had trouble downloading, Origin client would not recognize activation key. Went to EA site and chat help completed the download for me. HOWEVER, Dead Kel quests do not show up in game - no recruitment letter in my inventory and going back to game starting point (as advised in old post by game devs) does not cause quest line to pop up. Looking through other reviews, I see I am not the only one to experience this problem. $10 wasted.