5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely underrated game
Published 11 months ago by Tito

I got this game on sale in hopes it would be a good time killer until some other games came out.

Published 10 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely underrated game, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Kingdoms of Amalur puts nearly every Western RPG to shame when it comes to it's combat. You name it, Skyrim, WoW, all the top-dogs, they just don't compare to the style of gameplay and action that KoA Reckoning offers. I absolutely love this game. From the art-style which is reminiscent of Blizzard games, to it's beautiful music, and oh gosh that combat. Sweet abilities, with the flexibility to make your character fight in multiple styles. I'm making mine a rogue-sorceress. The equipment is cool, a nice crafting system, and a ton of side-quests and looting to go around in the world. If you're looking for a great single-player experience, look no further. This truly is an underrated game.

2.0 out of 5 stars ... game on sale in hopes it would be a good time killer until some other games came out, March 26, 2014

Graphically, the game looks great. I like the aesthetics of the world they developed and it runs smooth on my mid-level PC. Plenty of options for different play styles, a story with a rich background if you want to lose yourself in the history of the world. Decent combat.

So why 2 stars? I got bored to tears. The side missions are all very similar - fetch this, hunt this down, kill this bad guy, etc. And if you don't want to do these missions, you just say "No thanks!" and continue on the main quest - no penalties, no loss of chance to do them (you can just go back and start the conversation again). You don't really LIVE in the world, you just are passing by, as if your actions don't have any impact. The main quest wasn't anything spectacular - just enough to move you from point A to point B.

Some people may love this game and I don't blame them; it just wasn't for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, June 9, 2014
My mom downloaded this game on her XBOX 360 and loved it so I had to try it out, 9 hours of play later at her house, I had to get it. (My teenage boys kept saying "Mom, when are we going home?", I kept saying "Just one more mission!") It reminds me of Fable, which I played time and time again and never got bored of it, sadly my XBOX went to Gamer's Heaven last year and I have not gotten another one.

I have been playing this on my computer for several hours a week since I got it. After checking compatibility I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to play it on my Windows 8.1 computer as 8 was not listed. My graphics card was not quite high enough either but the game plays great regardless. I don't see any lag or jumping during play or cinematic scenes. It is a little harder to play on the computer if your not used to playing with a keyboard/mouse setup. I played it that way for two days, then I hooked up the handy dandy gaming controller and with that help of a program to assign the keys, my controller is setup like the XBOX, much easier for me to play since I have never been a fan of keyboard play.

The flow of the game is pretty good, there are some things that take a bit to catch on to but once you figure them out you'll be good to go. (Once I figured out the tricks and inner workings I started a new game :D) The other thing I like about this game; if you don't like where your character is headed, you can visit the Fateweaver and reset your stats and rebuild your character without starting a new game. I would also suggest looking through Walkthroughs for extra tips and tricks to help you along your way. You can get in over your head on some of the side tasks/quests if your level/s in certain areas are not high enough so be wary of that. Which is why I would also suggest staying in one area and doing all the side tasks/quests in that area to help you build up your experience points and level up before moving on to the next step of your main quest that takes you out of that area.

The only negative thing I can say is that some of the interaction with characters gets long winded which makes it tempting to skip through the conversation, but if you do that you might miss information you need to complete the task and the relevant information sometimes isn't anywhere in your items for you to look back at which leaves you trying to find the person again or just hoping you pick the right answer/order. Most of the time though your answer will be in a journal or scroll you picked up or listed in the description in your quest log. That being said, that is minor to me and not negative enough for me to lower the star level, just one of those things that I will do differently with a different character when I start over; which I will definitely do after I have reached the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, although a bit long, June 27, 2014
My son liked it so much, watching me play, I bought a 2nd copy for his PC. A bit on the too-easy side but some battles require a lot of strategy at lower statuses, or else reloading after dying. There's lots of crafting guides on the web - just search for "amalur gems" or "amalur blacksmithing", plus locations of trainers and skill books.

Best strategy I found was to try and visit all the skill trainers scattered across the land, earning just enough loot to pay their fees, and save the skill books until the middle or later in the game. There are some areas you cannot reach (Ysa for one) until you complete several of the main quests, so you should concentrate on doing them early if you want to max out your skills. Ysa alone has 4-5 trainers, Rathir 4 or so, etc.

Finally, save your game whenever you enter a new area, not just quick-save. I failed a quest when the NPC I was questing with died during a battle, and I found out my last save was from 2 days prior, which meant a lot of repetition if I wanted to succeed in the quest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time, August 18, 2014
Great game, with a story form R.A Salvatore whom happens to be my favorite author, the over the shoulder camera is my only real gripe with the game, keeps you from taking in alot of the beautiful scenery sometimes, combat can get dull after a while but the story keeps you engaged, loads of side quests, you get your money worth here, lots of hours of gameplay in this game. Its easy to change your characters combat style if you get bored and wana try something new, just go visit a fateweaver. this is a nice feature especially if you start as a mage and decide magic isnt for you, its a quick fix to switch to a rouge or warrior. Great game on the whole, often over looked title, Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge game great price, June 2, 2014
Great single player RPG, huge world, many side quests, progresses at a good pace. Main quest is linear, but so many side quests as you explore the world it does not seem linear. I bought this about 45 days ago.I explored about 50% - 60% of the world. I probably have been playing it for > 100 hours. For $20 it is a great value. I would give it the same review even at the full price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, May 22, 2014
I think the game has been underrated. Graphics are excellent, I really like the combat, storyline is interesting. However, being a recovering Skyrim player, I find 'Kingdoms' to be a bit 'linear'. Character development is not deep. Random encounters can be a bit redundant.

If you like 'first person', it can be frustrating. I'm getting used to 'over the shoulder' view.

Overall, for the money, a fun game that can grow on you. I will probably buy an expansion at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly suprised, March 23, 2014
Grabbed this game on the cheap - fun game like fable (which I was hoping for) surprised game dust get more recognition. Definitely worth playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome game!, March 19, 2014
Awsome game. Steam code is a plus, I am not a big origin fan and for this EA title to be available on steam I jumped on this when on sale.
Plays almost like Fable only better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quickly has become my favorite game!, March 4, 2014
I had this game on my wishlist forever but quite honestly I was skeptical because none of my gamer friends seemed to think much of it and nor ever played it. I figured I was wrong in thinking it looked like a great game but kept it in my wishlist to wait for it to go on sale. I have over 50 games on my computer and spend most my time playing RPGs like Skyrim, Witcher, Dragon Age, WoW, Rift, Age of Conan, etc. I even play tabletop RPGs, being an old school gamer, so I am very aware of R.A. Salvatore and the famous Drizzt books (own them, read them). I only mention all this so its understood this isn't the first RPG I've played and I do have a bit experience when it comes to the genre.

I finally picked up Reckoning in January, plus all the DLC recently, and I can tell you this is the only game I have been playing with no signs of stopping any time soon. Many games have there strengths and weaknesses of course, but in my experience if the game doesn't have something compelling to keep you going it won't hold your interest past all the shiny graphics or fancy loot.
With a world created by R. A. Salvatore (created the game universe and lore) and Todd McFarlane working on the artwork, the story grips you and never lets go. I am the kind of player that in WoW, and quite a few other RPGs, quickly "ESC"s or "SPACE BAR"s through all the bla bla bla of the quest giver to just get to the point where I can accept the quest and go kill more wild boars. In Reckoning I have a real interest in the story, there is real substance in what I'm being told and I have a vested interest in whats unfolding on my screen. There is plenty to do in this game, I haven't even finished the first large zone yet because I have spent so much time doing all the quests... I don't even thinking about leveling (and I am normally the player that power levels!).

But wait, there's more! The combat is fun! To quote the wiki: "Combat is based on the timing of button presses, similar to an action role-playing game, with occasional quick time event cutscenes. The combat includes a 'fate' system which allows players to accumulate 'fate points' and ultimately enter 'Reckoning Mode', a slow motion mode that allows the player to quickly dispatch enemies." You can build your "toon" between all the talent trees and essentially make whatever you want. I am a rogue/sorcerer mix that seemed to just fit my play style. Having the variety of abilities and exciting, fast paced combat sequences is icing on the cake along with the story.

Now to be fair, its not all roses. The world is huge but its not as "open" as a game like Skyrim. For example, you can run up to a cliff but you can't fall off of it nor can you jump down from it unless its a "jump" point. You can swim in lakes or streams, run around wherever you want but there are boundaries or certain landscapes that can't be passed. You have a variety of races to choose from at the beginning of the game, but I didn't think they were profoundly different from one another nor was character creation itself very expansive. I find the characters a bit "meh". Armor and gear hasn't gotten real exciting either, no huge "bling" factor so far in the game (I'm at level 20). Lastly, bag space becomes an issue later in the game...even when you get a house with storage you can't put some items in the chest for some reason. You also have weapon racks in your house but you can't store weapons in them. This is where having a game that has lost its developers/company backing really hurts - fix these two things would be a HUGE win for the play experience.

In summary, I HIGHLY recommend any player of RPGs (especially those I mentioned), pick up this game! At the very least wait for it to go on sale (which is rare) and grab it. I would be very surprised if this game doesn't become one of your favorites. This is the kind of game that gets you in trouble with the real world; Staying up too late playing, getting up before work to get a quick game in, playing when you should be doing something around the house, etc. Be sure to read some of the guides online too, so you understand zone levels and things, before you run all over the game universe (entering certain areas level locks them).