Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Platform: PC|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$8.97+ $4.95 shipping

on February 7, 2012
When Big Huge Games announced they were working on an RPG, I was both skeptical and hopeful. I knew them for their strategy titles, and while they created quality games I was dreading another slow-paced entry to the genre. Well, it looks like all my fears were for nothing. While they don't deliver anything extraordinarily ground breaking here, every element they have pulled into the game are ones I have found fun in other games. And one point I feel I have to make early on: This is nothing like Skyrim. Many people have asked me if it's like Skyrim/Oblivion, and I'm assuming this has to do with the designer being involved in the game. Really, the only thing familiar was the lockpicking, the rest of the game plays vastly differently from Skyrim and it's a good thing. So on to the key points I get asked about:

Combat--

This is where Reckoning shines. The combat is slick and fun, and it's the first game I've heard touting the 'Play any style you want!' where it actually seems to work. Nothing like sneaking up, backstabbing someone, instantly throwing a fireball in the face of your next foe, and then switching to a two-hander and charging into the next group of enemies. If I had to compare the game to anything that would give you an instant idea, at first impression I felt like it was a mix of Fable and God of War. No, it's not quite as much of a slaughter fest as God of War, but the combat has that fluid, satisfying style that God of War brought to the table.

Environment--

It's big. It's not a sandbox, and you will find yourself in valleys and going down paths without any clear way to get to the other side (if there even is anything on the other side), and in this regard the world reminded me more of Fable. But there is a lot to explore and do here, and I never found myself thinking 'I really wish I could climb to the top of that mountain' because there was too much to keep me busy right in front of me.

Sound--

Aside from a few times where I just thought the environment music was a bit odd, the music is great and the voice acting actually surprised me. Though I've read Salvatore, I find him a bit cheesy and repetitive at times, and for some reason my brain associated that with terrible voice acting. Fear not, everyone you meet is voiced well, and while I did roll my eyes once or twice the reason I did so has been long forgotten. Also, there is a lot of voice acting here. Even NPCs who have nothing really important to do for the story have quite a bit of dialog for the purposes of lore.

Graphics--

The environments are gorgeous, but you know that from watching the trailers. There will be some who don't like the slightly cartoony direction that BHGs took with this, but I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got done putting in over a hundred hours with Skyrim (I know, I know, I'm running behind the rest of the pack), and I'm tired of looking at 'realistic' graphics. This was a refreshing change and one I thoroughly enjoyed. I will repeat what I've seen in other reviews because I agreed: As beautiful as the environments are, the character models are slightly lacking. They're not terrible, and probably would have done well in many other games, but in comparison to the environments they feel a bit underpolished. Given a choice between fluid combat and a fantastic looking model, though, and I'll take the combat any day. I know they had to make a choice here, and they made the right one.

I suppose it should be noted that I'm playing this on Steam, as I'm a bit once-bitten-twice-shy with Origin registration. I've seen reports of bugs and glitches, but aside from the odd texture popping up where it shouldn't maybe five times during my play, I haven't encountered anything that would bring me to a halt. Really, though, if you're not sure if you want this game, play the demo. It runs you through the tutorial portion of the game and then gives you 45 minutes to explore--and while you'll only touch the tip of the iceberg in that time, it will either save you sixty bucks if you don't like the style of the game or it will make you crave more. Personally, I'm betting on the latter.
88 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2012
I am going to give KOAR a thorough review, but the skinny version is this: KOAR is a great old school RPG. It took me 80 hours to get through it the first time, and I will definitely play it again.

As an old school RPG, it has features that are traditionally good, and some that are traditionally bad. Let's start with the bad first.

1. Severe inventory space issues. People all over the Web gripe about this. There are, in my view, too many different kinds of potions (among other issues). Even when I purchased extra space from 5 merchants, there were times when I had to run outside of a dungeon and warp back to a merchant to do a sell-off, and then go back down into the dungeon. In Torchlight you could load up your pet and send your pet back to town, and in Sacred 2 you could summons an imp with your large loot chest from town. Something like that would have helped.

2. Ugly gear. This is very common to western RPGs. If you want great looking gear or gear that is customizable in appearance, you must play Asian RPGs and MMOs. (Or, if KOAR releases a tool kit, someone will make good looking gear on their own time, as has been done with DAO, Skyrim, and Torchlight, for example.) As with many western RPGs, the NPCs often wear better looking gear than you will ever have.

3. Ugly hair. Equivalent to Dragon Age and Skyrim. The 10 year old plastic hair design cannot be dumbed down to accommodate console players, because we know hair can be done correctly...even on the consoles (for example, the blonde female in Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom). If KOAR releases a took kit, someone will make better looking hair on their own time.

4. Randomness. I played as a mage. When I completed the Battle Arena quest, 7 unique (purple) pieces of gear had dropped. I could not wear a single piece of it. When I killed an end boss named Cur, he dropped six pieces of matching gear. I could not wear a single thing he dropped. Also, there is no relationship between how hard a chest is to open or get to, and the quality of loot you find. As a final example, even when my blacksmithing skill was raised to the maximum level, when I salvaged loot, the results were all random. I could save the game, and then have to reload it several times to salvage anything other than "common" quality components. These kinds of issues made a friend of mine stop playing the game prior to getting half done. I understood his pain, but the next section explains why I recommend the game anyway.

5. NPC AI. The mage could summon a Faer Gorta, as a sort of melee NPC who was supposed to help you a bit. You can read the various forums on the Web about the widespread disappointment with Faer Gorta. For me, he did was he was supposed to do 50% of the time, and stood still as a statue and let me get wailed on 50% of the time. The best NPC AI in any RPG I have ever played was Dragon Age: Origins. Nothing else has come close.

6. Level cap is 40. This isn't as significant as it sounds, because I had plenty of power to take down the final boss in a single attempt at level 40. I only mention this limitation because some RPG players like to go overboard leveling up, so they can stroll in and one-shot the boss. Even if that is how you have fun, there are plenty of other things that make this game worthwhile...a subject to which I now turn.

Now for the good stuff.

1. The game has different difficulty levels. This is critical for me. After a challenging 10 hour day at work, I do not want to come home to another challenge as much as I want fun that comes from nuking mobs.

2. You can save the game anywhere (unlike LOTR: War in the North). Again, critical for me.

3. The story is great (it lived up to its expectations for me).

4. The game is huge. Colossal. Gigantic. It is on the scale of Skyrim, Sacred 2, or Dragon Age: Origins. It is definitely NOT rush-to-market-small like Dragon Age: Awakening or LOTR: War in the North. In KOAR, there seems to be as much space under ground in dungeons as there is above ground. I do not know how they can put that much game on one disk.

5. You can hide your head gear. I cannot understand why any RPG lets you create a custom head, and then forces you to wear a 5 gallon bucket (i.e., helmet) for the duration of the game. If you are forced to wear a helmet and be totally covered in ugly gear, your toon could look like the international bathroom boy and girl stick figures and it wouldn't matter.

6. Graphics were what I expect on a game released in 2012. The meteor spell was particularly fun to watch, as the nuke would send bodies and weapons flying all over.

7. Good quest system, and elegantly combined with the map system. KOAR was very clear about who had a quest for you. Other recent RPGs are a bit more obscure about the questing process.

8. A restriction of arcade elements. Arcade elements (incredibly rapid response and hand/eye tasks) are continually encroaching into RPGs. Some found their way into KOAR, but in very limited amounts. (The worst two examples are warded chests and the experience percentage earned in Reckoning mode.) Even as a person who avoids arcade games 100% of the time, those two elements did not ruin KOAR for me. I appreciated a very limited number of arcade elements.

9. You can change many of the features of your toon's facial appearance throughout the game. I don't know why the game limited the changeable features, but at least you could change some. Not many RPGs let you change your toon's appearance...EVER.

10. When you unlocked a new skill on the skill tree, a feature called "Moves" showed you exactly how to use it. Good job!

11. You can easily compare new armor and weapon drops with what you have, to determine in an instant whether the new item is better than the one you already have.

12. When you use your blacksmithing skill, you can make armor and weapons that are better than anything that drops in the game. I love this feature, because I love going into boss battles and handing them their bu***s in a brown paper bag.

13. Replayability. Well, I am going to play it all the way through at least one more time, perhaps more.

I recommend the game. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but well worth your time and money.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
Others have written more extensive and technical reviews (and I may still), but here's the "short": If you like the humor and whimsy of Fable and the amazing variety of quests and creatures and world of Skyrim, then this game is for you. Having just poured 200+ hours into Dark Souls and Skyrim, the artistic style of Kingdoms was a little off-putting. Then I "stopped to smell the roses" (or black cohash, really... you'll know what I mean when you play it). When you stop and look around, the scenery and overall artwork of every nook and cranny of this world is absolutely amazing. It's the land of the Fae, not the nords (or the dead for you Dark Souls fans... favorite game EVER, btw). The colors are vibrant and the land is just jammed with beauty. It truly truly is an fantastic world they have created. Even the caves can be stunning, dripping with the history of this war-torn world. This is arguably Todd MacFarlane's best work since Spawn. My only "negative" around the game's appearance would be the characters. While the voice acting is superb (SUPERB), interactions with NPC's can be annoyingly static. Most characters are interesting to look at and highly varied (and often comical in content), but they are mannequins. I prefer the Assassins Creed style interactions but realize this a limitaion with current memory restrictions of games (thank you consoles for limiting development... I'm not a hater since I have an Xbox, but I'm seeing the effects on gaming as a whole). I can't stress how big this world is. Not Tamriel big, but pretty darn big. Our analogy would be: not China big, but US big. And that's big!

The story seems fine to me. It's crafted by R.A. Salvatore who is no fantasy lightweight. While I'm not a HUGE fan of his work, he knows the world of fantasy and it shows. Regardless, I'm engaged. And that's all that matters. Originality is lacking in the art and culture of our world today (theatrically speaking, and I place games in that category). So to tell a somewhat "old" story but with new visuals and other components is not a total negative to me. If you talk to every NPC exhaustively, you'll pick up on character plots that have you mouthing, "oh, no!" And while I'm sure I save the day in the end, I'm anxious to take each step along the way. Again, that's all that matters.

The fighting mechanics are a giddy joy especially after my most recent RPG's (Skyrim and Dark Souls... I won't mention Fallout New Vegas... EVER). Whether you like ranged attacks, medium attacks, or "in your face so I can watch the light leave your eyes" attacks, you can appropriately build a powerful character. So far, I don't get the impression that "dang I wish I had chosen <insert alternate fighting style." All classes are evenly capable of winning as long as you play them accordingly. Don't tank a troll while wearing mage's garb. Just don't.

Perhaps the BEST thing about this game is that you don't need to take my or anyone else's word about it; PC and Xbox have demos that allow you to thoroughly test-drive this game (I'm sure PS3 does to). You play the tutorial level (which sets the story as well) then you have 45 minutes to play in the open world (with some minor restrictions). I replayed the open world portion several times to see which style of play I liked. Not to brag, but Gandalf would come to me for advice (yeah, I crossed that geekdom line a long time ago). If you're a PC gamer, I would even more highly encourage you to play the demo since it unlocks several in-game items for when you buy it (notice I say "when").

Sadly, this game lives in the shadow of Skyrim which is mostly due to the timing of its launch. And let's face it, Skyrim is beyond amazing. If you stop this comparison and enjoy the art and mechanics of Kingdoms for its own sake, I think you'll agree that this game is arguably one of the greatest and most pleasant surprises this past year.

Game on! Scoreboard Boogerwood!
on July 4, 2012
I had my eye on this game since I discovered RA Salvatore was working on the lore behind it. The game is big, lots of areas to explore, and it has some variety to the settings, lots of side quests, lots of variety in gear, and the three different skill pages actually present significant playstyle changes. You can mix and match your skills, so you can be a warrior, mage, archer, theif if you wanted, although you would definetely miss out on the focused power of any single choice. Their is alchemy, sagecraft, blacksmithing as tradeskills and each one is easy to use and useful. Controls are good, but the camera can get a little annoying at times, I find it a bit too close so I downloaded widescreen fixer and set the FoV out a bit. Combat although repetitive, of course it's going to be, never get's annoyingly so. It's smooth and anticipating an enemies attack for a well timed parry is a nice addition, you can also combo from it, or from a dodge if you train the skills. The main storyline is great I think, lots of lore in this game. You can literally spend hours and hours just reading all the in game lore and following side quests to learn more about the summer court, or winter court, or the gnomes, or whatever you want. I have sunk about 45 hours into this game and have not got bored once. I have not beaten it yet, but I wouldn't give up the ending anyways. One of my biggest complaints about this game, just like any pc gamer is the fact it was clearly developed for consoles and ported to pc's. I hate not being able to use all the expensive components in my pc. The game still looks good considering, the art direction is a nice mix of colorful fantasy, but not so much that it removes you from the world. Characters still have appropriate dimensions, but the weapons while cool looking, my personal preference is a more realistic approach. I think if this game was designed for pc, it would've been definetely better. RPG's are not all that common and I am happy none the less to have a good story with solid mechanics and a big world to sink some time into.
on May 25, 2012
I've been playing KoA:R for over 50 hours now, and believe I'm only about half way done. Granted, I'm a completionist, so every side quest has been a distraction. And there are a TON of side quests.

Graphics and sound are excellent. The world is amazingly HUGE and gorgeous, and characters fit that nice middle between artistic and realistic. Some of the models are a bit over-repeated, but with so many NPCs and such a big world, it's hard not to do that.

Character building and customization is deep. With a party of one, you really need to be able to do a bit of everything -- and the system lets you do that! Tons of equipment drops and a deep crafting system allow you to buff yourself with spells and/or potions as well as equipment -- either stuff you find or things you blacksmith yourself. My only complaint here is that the NPCs and/or in-game books should provide more direction in how to find and complete equipment sets; as it is it feels fairly random.

The overall plot is a bit weak, but there is one there. I've probably diluted it for myself as I keep getting distracted by side quests. Voice acting is excellent, and I've only just now started to notice voice actors playing more than one role.

Some of the races and names get a bit confusing, but this isn't more than a minor annoyance.

Overall, this is a GREAT game. It's too bad that Big Huge Games and 38 Studios are now defunct. Hopefully a good developer picks up this IP and runs with it. The game and world draw heavily on WoW, but it's still a very fun experience.

Side note: I am playing this on a PC with a PS3 controller via MotioninJoy drivers. I find this MUCH easier to control than keyboard+mouse, but that's probably a personal preference.
on March 25, 2012
I have been playing fantasy computer games since the days of text adventures, and this is one of my all time favorites. My kids, ages 13 and 24, enjoy it as well.

Likes:
Beautiful, colorful scenery that is a treat to behold
Extremely fun combat, especially magic
You can make progress in short play sessions, so good for busy gamers
Easy to play, haven't had any frustrations yet
Your leveling choices aren't set in stone, you can rebuild
The strategy book for this game is wonderful

Dislikes:
You can't play it on Steam unless you buy it from Steam. Wish I had known...
It seems a bit clunky compared to other recent PC games

In summary, if you like high-fantasy RPG's, this game is for you. It is great light-weight fun if your can enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to be what it is not.
on October 24, 2015
I got this game after checking all the reviews and getting a general idea what it was about. It came in as expected and was in very good shape when it arrived. It runs thru EA servers or under Origin, which I have so that wasn't a big problem for me as this time I knew where the DVD key was. I went to Origin and added it to my game library without a problem and it was downloaded and installed without a problem. When you start this game after the connection item, you are given a bit of background and then you get to create your char to play. I found this creation item to be a bit refreshing as it makes it part of the story as much as possible. You can use the char that the cut scene using or create your own. I created a female char and customized her a bit to suite what I wanted. I found this item was pretty nice in what they allowed you to do. After this you find yourself in the story and in control of your char. The controller with the X-Box 360 were really pretty good and movement was great. I inverted the camera up down axis as I have always pushed the R stick down to look down and pulled it back to look up. I noted that the controller woks pretty much 100% with the game and I didn't need the KB hardly at all. I did note a few things that are still given me a bit of a problem, but not very much so. You have a "powers" item on the R trigger but it wasn't totally explained to me what each power does. One of them let you use a really heavy attack on one enemy but it used QTEs to this. I really don't it very much as with the right sword etc and dodging when needed you can get most of your enemies that way. I'm still not sure what the other three are so yet. Anyway the environment you play in is great with lots to explore. There are a number of quests you can take on, but be carefully you can get sucked into doing something you might not want to do. As you hero gets better you can advance the story or take on quest to add XP and get better, but you do need to check out what you take on unless you want to be a rogue etc, as you might get into a mess.....I did. So far this game has runs very solid on my system. (Specs for infor: i5-4460 3.2 gig, GTX-750 Ti SC 2 gig GDDR5 RAM, Win 10 Pro.) It's a lot of fun to play and I really got into it. I like that they created a very interesting world to play in. I'm really not playing to get thru the game at this time but to really explore the environment and level my hero up before I take on the story a bit. (BTW: Don't get to cocky when your hero seems to be winning fights to easily as I ran into three mages that really set me straight on that by killing me off before I could even put up a fight!) Overall, this game is a lot of fun and really sucked me in and I can recommend it to any one who is looking for a third person RGP type game. Lots Of Fun.........
on April 4, 2012
I usually pay attention to new games coming out. In the weeks before this game came out, I read about it, and watched some videos. It didn't really seem like something I would want to play. When the demo came out, I played it but still wasn't very impressed. But after all the positive reviews and praise Reckoning received when it debuted, I decided to buy it. After all, I needed an epic adventure for my brand new gaming laptop.

The game is like many other fantasy RPGs. You are this messianic character who has defied death, and is destined to save the world. Not exactly original I know, but that's forgivable. You are able to choose from a few different races, each with slightly different stats, but not different enough to make any huge difference. After the introduction, where you learn the basics of combat and learn a little about the story, you are unleashed into the world. The world of Amalur is bright, colorful, and beautiful. After gaining a few levels, you kind of get a feel of what type of class you want to play. You can basically be a big weapon wielding warrior, a stealthy rogue with daggers and bows, a magic blasting mage, or a combination of each. Every level gained gives you points to spend in your talent trees. If you want to change your talents to try something new, all you need to do is see a Fateweaver, and they will reset your talents for a small fee.

One you start exploring different towns and areas, you will immediately be bombarded with quests. Lots of quests. The main story quest is about 25 hours, but you could potentially spend 100 or more hours doing the rest of the side quests. I initially decided to do every side and faction quest in an area before I moved on. After completing several dozen of these quests, I lost interest and focused on the main story. None of the side quests are particularly interesting. I eventually learned that the main story is not particularly interesting either. Each quest is more of the same: go here, kill this, explore this dungeon, talk to this person, etc. I even downloaded the first expansion, The Legend of Dead Kel, and it was just more of the same quests. Questing is very fast paced. There is no need to read the instructions for each quest, because the game will tell you exactly where to go, and when you get there, there will be an arrow pointing to what you need to do. There is really no feeling of exploration that you get from games like Skyrim.

The best part about Amalur is the combat. No matter what type of class you turn your character into, the combat will be fast paced and fun. After the first few hours of the game, I began to see why this game received such high praise. I decided to first play as a mage type class. After several levels I unlocked many abilities that made me unstoppable. But the problem with becoming too powerful is that the game becomes less challenging. I was relying less on health potions, and didn't require much strategy in a fight. I could run into a group of monsters, do my area of effect lightning attack, and most monsters would be dead instantly. So the combat grew stale as my character became more powerful. You also have an ability call fate. Its a meter that builds up as you fight. Eventually the meter will get full, and you can activate this mode where your attacks become much more powerful, and enemy movement is slowed. It can lead to some cool death animation scenes. But the fate meter also creates a problem of making the game too easy. For example, you can save your full fate meter for a boss fight. When the fight starts, activate your fate ability, attack the boss, and it will be dead in seconds. Not very fun.

The game also gives the illusion choice and consequence. During conversations will NPCs, it will often give you a few different ways to respond, much like Mass Effect's chat wheel. But in Reckoning, no matter what choice you make in the conversation, the outcome will usually be the same. You can also kill people and steal items. When you do so, the town guards will try to arrest you. You can either go to jail, pay a fine, or run. If you choose to run away, never fear, because you can just come back later and the guards will have forgotten all about your crime. Unlike Skyrim, where the guards remember you, and will even send bounty hunters after you.

The voice acting is pretty good, the sound effects get the job done, but the game's soundtrack isn't really all that moving. The graphics are pretty good, though the characters are kind of cartoony. Many people compare the graphics to WoW. WoW's graphics, though dated, have a certain charm to them. These graphics have no charm. The camera will also drive you nuts. This is a game designed for consoles, so I wouldn't recommend playing this with a mouse and keyboard. An Xbox PC gamepad is ideal.

So I labeled this review "From Meh to Yeah! to Meh." I wasn't very excited about this game at first. I decided to give it a chance, and for the first 20 or so hours it was pretty good. In fact it was great! After about 20 hours, my character got too powerful, quests were boring, and the story was not getting any more interesting. It felt like an obligation to finish the game. I paid $50 for this game, and at that price I wouldn't recommend it. But I see Amazon is now selling the PC version at about $28, and at that price it's worth checking out.
44 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2013
Have you ever looked at an MMO like World of Warcraft or Star Trek Online and thought "I wish they could patch this so I could play it as a singleplayer game?" Reckoning heard your pleas and decided to make a singleplayer RPG that feels just like an MMO but without the other people. Ends up that's not the best foundation for solo play.

I've played pretty much everything that's called itself an RPG and released on the PC since Betrayal at Krondor. The best in the genre have always managed to combine a lot of different elements into a cohesive whole that overwhelms players with things to do, but also a drive to do them. Reckoning offers a pretty world, decent console-style combat and a ton of quests and lore. In the end though none of it ends up being that fun, and most of it feels tired and repetitive. I've heard games like Morrowind, Gothic 2 and Skyrim called "fetch quests" and "hiking simulators" but Reckoning is a whole new level of mundane tasks for mundane NPCs.

It's a little extra disappointing because the lore and core story are both great twists and explorations of the fantasy genre. I really wanted to know more about the world and conflict, even as I found myself skipping dialogue for the first time ever in an RPG because it was so banal and monotone. The quest design, dialogue and world just copy and paste MMO design so much that there is no real immersive feeling or drive to continue on. There is no raiding at the end of the tunnel, the gear doesn't matter since there is no competition and the quests are easy. You're just grinding for... well, for nothing. It ruins a great world and great lore.

On top of story, NPC and questing issues the game world is also a little flat. It's pretty a lot of the time, and I respect how colorful it is while most modern games obsessively focus on realism. At the same time though it is broken into small chunks, likely due to console RAM requirements, and even inside those open chunks it feels a lot like a bunch of hallways and repeated textures. The first 20-30 hours of the game can end up looking practically identical as you quest through an elf jungle with minor variation. It's a pretty world but not the best world to explore. Again it feels like a collection of MMO zones rather than a cohesive singleplayer RPG realm.

The combat is very different from most PC RPGs. It feels more like a God of War or Devil May Cry, and this seems to be why the game's fanbase praises it. I was never much for these hack n' slash combo-driven action games however and while fun it didn't keep me playing in spite of all the other faults. Your experience might differ, I know people who love this game because it finally gave them an RPG experience with combat they enjoyed. It probably depends on the kinds of games you enjoy beforehand.

The PC port is fine. Despite the console-style combat I actually found mouse and keyboard to be my preferred control method over my Xbox controller. It has a hotbar, fully customizable keys and the camera feels smooth and responsive with the mouse. The graphics options are fairly limited but the game still looks really nice, especially with AA forced through your GPU. The worst part of the visuals is how closely things can pop into view, something done because of low console memory that could have been extended on PC if they cared.

One important thing to note is the game requires internet to work if you buy the DLC. Both DLC packs authenticate when you launch the game, which is common for Origin and EA, but unlike Mass Effect 3 and others I have played through Origin Reckoning's DLC needs to authenticate every single time, which is not possible if you're offline. The game will tell you it cannot load your save as it relies on DLC which has not been authenticated. I googled a lot and discovered this is a known issue EA are not fixing, so it basically makes the Origin version an always online game. The Steam version does not do this but the version here on Amazon is the Origin one.

I personally had a two-star experience with Reckoning, playing for about 30 hours before the boredom got to be too much to bear and constantly annoyed by DLC server issues. I switched to another couple RPGs and instantly had more fun because of better designed worlds, quests and story moments. If combat is your focus however and you like console-style hack n' slash games, you might find Reckoning a lot more entertaining than I did.
on February 7, 2012
I was very excited when they announced the title and who works to make this world realize. A fan of Salvatore, this was a day 1 buy for me ... until I watched the development videos, the comments of developers were all focusing on the combat and were not even talking about what make this a RPG, I remember hearing things like "look at this move it looks awesome" from the mouths of the developers. I cannot tell you how irritating that was as if they are forcing me to like this game and treating us those who enjoyed the books of Salvatore as 15 years old action junkies.
Anyway, after playing the demo and watching diaries of the art department I was sold again, and I am happy to announce that I am content with my purchase!

The game looks nice, even my wife who has no idea about video game graphics admitted that the colors make you feel welcome. The gameplay is action based with the right amount of RPG elements in it combined with limitless combinations of classical RPG classes thanks to the fate system.
The story and the lore is just right, it is not immersive but not boring too. Honestly, Salvatore did a good job to write lore for everyone to enjoy.

NPCs and quests however are generic and usually you skip a lot of conversation or read the subtitles before the voice acting (which is fluctuating in quality) finish.
What else there is? For me it is a small detail but there is nigh/day cycle in the game but you cannot tell what hour it is, no glorious sunrises like Skyrim but definitely a plus after Dragon Age's constant days.
The towns are fleshed enough but not much going on. You can find the same NPC on her spot all day and it's depressing to know after hundreds hours she will still be there standing like the first time you saw her. As a veteran of Baldur's Gate I do not mind this much but the RPG quality moved far from 1999.

I am still very early in the game (6hrs) but feels like I just scratched the surface and enjoying every moments of it. So back to the game which is alt+tabbed!