ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning "Speed Run" Takes 200 Hours

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2012 8:35:09 PM PST
"Yes, you read that headline correctly. The team behind the upcoming RPG, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, have revealed that a recent "speed run" of all the game's content, including the main quest and all side quests, took about 200 hours to complete. What's more, this playthrough did not include watching cut-scenes or reading dialogue. Wow. How long will it take the average gamer to reach a 100% completion rate, you ask? I would wager an eternity... multiplied by at least two.

Thankfully, the game's lead designer, Ian Frazier, says the main storyline of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will only take players about "30 to 40 hours" to complete, which seems slightly more reasonable. As for the entire game, Frazier told Strategy Informer it will basically consume your life forever:
"We recently had a content completion play through about two months ago... so, QA guys, they've been playing the game for years, they know all there is to know about it, it's ins and outs, etc... their goal is to play everything. Do every quest, every dungeon, everything possible, but as fast as possible."

"That means easy difficulty, skip all cut scenes and dialogue, sprint everywhere that's sprintable, fast travel everywhere you can, don't do any combat you don't need to do... that all took around 200 hours, and that was a speed run."
Interestingly, Frazier is still undecided as to whether all this content is a good idea:
"I think in terms of a selling point - bang for your buck - I think it's great. It should be on the back of the box. But as a developer I have to look at it and think "did we overdo this?" I really don't know.""

Mother of god O.o

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 3:23:08 PM PST
I think your username aptly describes this post.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 6:41:49 AM PST
Daniel Page says:
Holy crap! If this is true, I really don't know what to say...

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 8:06:15 AM PST
Britt K says:
I know what to say: thank god I have this pre-ordered :)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:43:25 PM PST
ThaRoost says:
Ugh.... good bye February..... good.....bye March..... g o o d b y e April....... FML

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 2:22:45 PM PST
I wish I had more time...So much to do...

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 7:50:01 AM PST
Magnus says:
I have been completing 100% of the tasks prior to moving on. I just finished all the tasks in the Dalentarh area and have run up 30hrs.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 5:12:00 AM PST
I just finished the game at 105 hours 5 min 15 sec and I did EVERY side quest and each Task at least Once. it really isn't 200 hours. how sad. I was looking forward to more content. hopefully they'll bring out some free DLC as well as paid DLC. I even found all 175 lorestones and am 80% complete trophy wise.

PS I Still LOVE the game as it is!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 10:05:26 AM PST
C.E. says:

you will get your wish (well, for DLC that is) in the new paid Legend of Dead Kel DLC that releases on the 20th of March. Even at an extra speedy 105 hours...still quite a large bang for the buck! Im loving this game and am currently juggling two characters through it. Still stand by my review- best money I have spent on a game...hands down!

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 12:14:28 AM PST
"best money I have spent on a game...hands down! "

I couldn't agree more! and thanks for the DLC Heads up!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 8:26:04 AM PST
Magnus says:
From the description the DLC looks to add a few new wrinkles to the mix. Though this will not contain a level increase.

IGN gave a rough estimate of 4hrs for main quest. Priced at $9.99

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:21:33 AM PST
awwww I was so hoping they'd raisethe level cap... I'm Maxed out!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 7:11:31 AM PST
I maxed out at level 40 warrior and at the time when I did, I hadn't finished the game. So, I completed many more side quests and the main story after leveling up to 40; but I didn't get any more XP points. This is sad; in my estimate I probably would have gotten to a level 50 after all was said and done. You continue to "earn" fate if you defeat enemies or do quests, just not xp points. IN MY POINT OF VIEW, this is the only beef I have with this game. There should not be a limit as to how far you can level up!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 7:57:30 AM PDT
that level cap sucks.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:44:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 11:45:30 AM PDT
J. says:
I ... that is one serious exaggeration.

For 100% completion, the only real obstacle is collecting all the lore stones, which some basic map reference along the way can alleviate.

I'd say for 100% playthrough, including watching he cutscenes, listening to at least some of the dialogue (the voice acting is... not good, so I tend to skip, I admit), doing every single side quest including all DLC (House of Valor, Dead Kel, Teeth of Naros, and all associated side-quests for each of these as well), and spending an entirely unnecessary amount of time fooling around with blacksmithing, my playtime was 83 hours. And that does include a literal 100% on achievments, some of which I admit I got by "respeccing" at level 40 to more easily accomplish some of the skill-specific achievements, such as picking 50 pockets - which I think is fair given the guidlines of a speed run laid out by the devs themselves. Also was done on Normal difficulty rather than easy.

I love the game, but I can't comprehend 200 hours for a 100% run on a single character. Whole lot of exaggeration going on there!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about