Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

Format: Video GameChange

on April 24, 2012
I bought KoA: Reckoning for my boyfriend as a gift (he is a huge R.A. Salvatore fan)... needless to say, I've logged about 25+ hours and he has 4 or 5 hours. The gameplay is very fun, especially if you tend to play characters that rely on hand-to-hand combat as opposed to archery or magic. There is nothing about this game that isn't appealing to the eye-- the colors are so bold and the landscapes really are gorgeous. The inventory system is pretty cool also; instead of giving your character a weight limit for what they carry, there is an item limit. Although this is kind of a bummer for smaller items, it really is beneficial when you're going through a cave or ruin and you find nothing but armor and weapons. The inventory menu also has a "junk pile," so as you're on a few quests and picking up everything (and I pick up EVERYTHING), you can add it to your junk pile, and when you get to a shop, there's an option to sell all of your junk, which makes your visits to the shops a lot quicker. For me, the controller setup had its high points and low points, but I really loved how your primary and secondary weapons are set on the X and Y buttons, which makes switching between them a breeze! I am a big fan of hand-to-hand and melee combat, so having this control setup allowed me to fight faster. Also, hitting left or right on the D-pad allows you to consume a minor healing or mana potion, which is awesome if you're in the midst of fighting several enemies (because it's rare that you'll only encounter one at a time). "Reckoning mode" also has its high and low point, which are, to me, the same thing-- in Reckoning mode, you can beat anything or anyone, very quickly. While this rocks for any quest with a mini boss battle at the end (fill up your fate meter while going through a cave and it will be full when you get to the boss, and cut him down in a few sword swipes), it makes these boss battles forgettable and too easy. And let me say this now-- I am not a super awesome gamer... I can hold my own, but I am a pretty casual gamer with a total weakness for a good RPG. Another little aspect of this game that I LOVE is the "hide helmet" option... I hate bulky armor because I can't see my character's face (I must not be the only weirdo like this, since there is this option), but being able to hide the helmet on the gameplay screen really made me happy. The ability to be able to change your character's destiny and appearance throughout the game is also nice and, although I didn't find the need for these options, it is definitely nice to have them available.

Overall, I wish this game was a little more difficult; I know you can adjust the difficulty settings, but I don't feel like that would impact too much. I began this game working on the main quest, which is really interesting and fun. Side quests would come up, and I figured I would just get to them after or when I needed a break from the main quest. Well, I completed the main quest rather quickly (very rewarding, although I felt I should have paid more attention to the story line), and now I'm going back to the side quests and they just aren't that fulfilling compared to what I've done. They are fun and quick, but I'm completing them with more of a "well, what's the point?" attitude. Also, a bummer is that things in this game do not level up with you. After completing the main quest, I secured awesome armor, a kickass longsword, and a pretty dominant set of faeblades. So now, the enemies that used to take a little work to defeat are now cut down in 3-4 swipes of my sword... and if they do hit me, it barely registers on my life meter. Also the leveling up system isn't something I'm too excited about. When you are able to level up a skill, they are all things that I, personally, didn't care too much about because none of them are very difficult in the first place (exception to this-- Detect Hidden, which is awesome). Sure, you can level up alchemy or blacksmithing, but to be honest, I beat the main quest without having once made a potion or building a piece of weaponry or armor; potions, money, and pretty awesome weaponry/armor are all easily found in this game, so why spend the time during a quest making these things if I can quickly buy them? I will probably force myself to play around with this things, but at this point in time, I just don't see much of the purpose for doing so. After this, you get three points to distribute in various skills, which will add various defensive/offensive moves to your combat style. My boyfriend uses these a lot, but I didn't as much because I'm a total button-masher. But they are cool nonetheless!

I hate to compare this game to Skyrim, but it is the last thing I played, so the comparisons are inevitable (I know, I know... "it isn't meant to be like that!" I get it!). I feel like KoA is geared towards gamer comfort-- the inventory system and controls are smart and were assigned with the gamer in mind. The story is intriguing and rewarding, and I found this game to be a lot of fun. On the downside, though, it just wasn't difficult and I feel like the main quest was the only true gem. This threw me off because in Skyrim, I did everything else to delay doing the main quest. KoA's faction quests are fun, but again, it was kind of like "okay, so now what?" If developers took this game and built it on a giant scale, I would be first in line to purchase it.

Even with the several aspects of this game that I wasn't a huge fan of, I would replay this game or buy another game in this series in a heartbeat. I recommend it to anyone, but my advice is this-- stay away from the main quest for a while to truly enjoy the side quests, and slow down and enjoy the capabilities and storylines within the gameplay.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2012
For those that do not know, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a new intellectual property and is the first in what is hoped to be a new line of RPG games. The game was created by 38 games/Big Huge Games and published by EA. There are quite a few properties that are out there populating the field that it wants to become part of. This game has quite an all star group that have helped to create the game and I believe it has earned its place in the gaming world. Also, for a while there, the RPG field was bare and dry especially on the XBOX and so I welcome the change to explore a new and interesting world.

Todd McFarlane, the genius behind Spawn and other adult themed comics has provided inspiration for the artwork. The storyline was written by R.A. Salvatore who has published 20+ books in the field of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Executive Director was Ken Rolston, the lead designer of the Elder Scrolls III Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.

The graphics on this game are beautiful and colorful. Over the past few months I have finished playing Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Dark Souls and it is refreshing wandering a world that is bright and colorful. It reminds me of some portions of World of Warcraft such as the Blood Elves on the Horde side. You can see Todd McFarlanes influence on the art department in the multitude of characters you encounter.

The trend for RPG's have aimed for the hybrid of Action-RPG with most falling on RPG elements and action as a second thought. This game has chosen to put Action in the forefront. The combat resembles the God of War: Collection series. When you are at a certain point, a lot of button mashing is required to score the kill and extra experience that comes from it. After the extreme difficulty of Dark Souls and continuous dying, it was nice to be able to enjoy combat that I felt I had an actual fighting chance of winning.

The game originally was going to be an online MMO. You can sense that in the way that the world is created and interactions with the characters. It feels like an online MMO in a way but without the interaction of other players. The world is a liner sandbox world. It resembles somewhat a game such as Fable: The Lost Chapters or some of the Final Fantasy X games. There is a lot to explore in the world around you, though, so there is plenty to keep you busy.

Communication is a lot like Mass Effect where you rotate to the conversation choice. You can have negative or positive communications but I have not really seen many that affect the outcome or interaction with my character too terribly much. I may find more later on.

There is pre-order download content. I received the game in the morning. Unfortunately, the codes for the DLC (mainly items to help you start off with) did not arrive via email until around midnight which made their use moot.

Overall Impression:
I am an old school RPG player ever since I received my first free copy of Final Fantasy 1/Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) with my paid subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day. The trend for RPG's has to continue to the action-RPG hybrid element which I feel it has successfully achieved. With todays world, simplicity is the key. The character creation and leveling I feel has been watered down. Not at the level that is the Fable series or other RPG's but it has been simplified. You really cannot go wrong in how you create your character and you can truly customize the character to your playing style. The bugs that were present in the demo have been cleaned up quite a bit although there are still technical issues here and there (not on the same level as the demo)

I highly recommend this game. There are simply not enough good RPG's out there even if the field seems to be filled with them. There are a lot of mediocre titles that dot the landscape in-between Elder Scroll and Final Fantasy releases. I believe this Game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a worthwhile RPG to invest ones time and energy into and is a world that truly deserves to be lost in. I wish someone would re-visit Betrayal at Krondor (Enhanced CD-ROM)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2012
When Big Huge Games announced they were working on an RPG, I was both skeptical and hopeful. I knew them for their strategy titles, and while they created quality games I was dreading another slow-paced entry to the genre. Well, it looks like all my fears were for nothing. While they don't deliver anything extraordinarily ground breaking here, every element they have pulled into the game are ones I have found fun in other games. And one point I feel I have to make early on: This is nothing like Skyrim. Many people have asked me if it's like Skyrim/Oblivion, and I'm assuming this has to do with the designer being involved in the game. Really, the only thing familiar was the lockpicking, the rest of the game plays vastly differently from Skyrim and it's a good thing. So on to the key points I get asked about:

This is where Reckoning shines. The combat is slick and fun, and it's the first game I've heard touting the 'Play any style you want!' where it actually seems to work. Nothing like sneaking up, backstabbing someone, instantly throwing a fireball in the face of your next foe, and then switching to a two-hander and charging into the next group of enemies. If I had to compare the game to anything that would give you an instant idea, at first impression I felt like it was a mix of Fable and God of War. No, it's not quite as much of a slaughter fest as God of War, but the combat has that fluid, satisfying style that God of War brought to the table.

It's big. It's not a sandbox, and you will find yourself in valleys and going down paths without any clear way to get to the other side (if there even is anything on the other side), and in this regard the world reminded me more of Fable. But there is a lot to explore and do here, and I never found myself thinking 'I really wish I could climb to the top of that mountain' because there was too much to keep me busy right in front of me.

Aside from a few times where I just thought the environment music was a bit odd, the music is great and the voice acting actually surprised me. Though I've read Salvatore, I find him a bit cheesy and repetitive at times, and for some reason my brain associated that with terrible voice acting. Fear not, everyone you meet is voiced well, and while I did roll my eyes once or twice the reason I did so has been long forgotten. Also, there is a lot of voice acting here. Even NPCs who have nothing really important to do for the story have quite a bit of dialog for the purposes of lore.

The environments are gorgeous, but you know that from watching the trailers. There will be some who don't like the slightly cartoony direction that BHGs took with this, but I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got done putting in over a hundred hours with Skyrim (I know, I know, I'm running behind the rest of the pack), and I'm tired of looking at 'realistic' graphics. This was a refreshing change and one I thoroughly enjoyed. I will repeat what I've seen in other reviews because I agreed: As beautiful as the environments are, the character models are slightly lacking. They're not terrible, and probably would have done well in many other games, but in comparison to the environments they feel a bit underpolished. Given a choice between fluid combat and a fantastic looking model, though, and I'll take the combat any day. I know they had to make a choice here, and they made the right one.

I suppose it should be noted that I'm playing this on Steam, as I'm a bit once-bitten-twice-shy with Origin registration. I've seen reports of bugs and glitches, but aside from the odd texture popping up where it shouldn't maybe five times during my play, I haven't encountered anything that would bring me to a halt. Really, though, if you're not sure if you want this game, play the demo. It runs you through the tutorial portion of the game and then gives you 45 minutes to explore--and while you'll only touch the tip of the iceberg in that time, it will either save you sixty bucks if you don't like the style of the game or it will make you crave more. Personally, I'm betting on the latter.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2012
Okay so I've been playing for a few hours this morning and I must say that I agree with most of what Allison said in the first review on here, let me expand a few things that I was wondering about since the demo:

First off everybody's fears about how awful the demo was (technically speaking) have been resolved. There have been no freezes, no glitchy weird behavior and nothing out of the ordinary; it runs very, very smooth. Also, one other thing to note from the discussion sections: you start over, it does not save your progress from the demo--there is an option to "load" a game, but when I tried that there was nothing there for me. This may be isolated and you may want to try, but be prepared to have to start over.

There is not much to add in way of gameplay from what Allison has mentioned, so just a quick recap: The combat is fluid--very awesome. I've unlocked 3 abilities and quite a few special moves for the "might" weapons--very smooth. If you're wondering what it's like, let me say this: I hate the GOW comparison and I find it much more like Devil May Cry, switch things up and kill multiple enemies and reap huge amounts of XP for it. *As long as we're talking combat let me also mention: no dual wielding swords or hammers--I know the cover shows differently, but unless there is a change later in the game, you just can't do it. Also on gameplay, just be prepared--so far it seems like a lot of "go-fetch" missions (i.e., meet this person, bring this back, find this sword, etc).

One point to mention that Allison touched on: This is not a sandbox game, while you can do lots of things in any order you want and the loot drops are different all around, you can't just "go anywhere" the map is huge but it is quite lineal. Reminds me of Diablo II but without the changing map with each new campaign. It is huge, but there is generally one way in and one way out of most areas/situations. ***After playing for awhile now it actually reminds me more of Zelda: OOT map-wise.

So far as graphics go: you either like it or you hate. I loved Torchlight's style and have been waiting for a bigger RPG in that type of art style; KOA is the answer. It's not completely cartoonish, but it's not super-realistic like Skyrim. I think it looks a bit more polished than the demo too--this could just be my imagination, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

This is looking to suck a lot of hours into gameplay, probably 100+ if you explore everything--that being said, you can probably explore (and thanks to the destiny/fate system) experience everything it has to offer in one play through--just my opinion. In no way does this diminish the game, it still has a lot of bang for the buck.

Okay, I don't want to get too crazy detailed because I'm only a few hours in, but if you're on the fence I would say it's probably worth it to go out and get it now. **Oh, and I just went to Walmart this morning and got it--no preorder bonus--the online pass will give you some armor and there is some DLC you can buy (240 MP) that gives you different armor and weapons. You probably aren't missing out on any meaningful benefits by not having it as far as I can tell. Within 5 hours of play I now have no use for any of Big Huge Game's "day 1 DLC". I can't speak for the fate touched weapons, but my guess is they would be worthless at this point too.

With that, I would rather answer questions for now than write everything else out. So please let me know what questions you have in the comments section and I will give you my OPINION. Remember that folks, reviews are opinions, not the Gospel.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2012
About a week into the game I already find myself skipping pretty much every side quest and just sticking to the main and faction oriented lines just to get through the story. There is just way too much filler for my attention span. I love me some RPGs, and Skyrim had me busy for about two months, but everything I did in that game felt relative to building up a hero as opposed to the feeling that they just packed in as much fluff as they can just to add play time. Definitely has a low replay value after you learn that you don't have to start over to switch your play style.

The crafting options are near-nonsense. The idea behind the creation of weapons and armor I get, and can see where they wanted to go with it, but I don't think it was completely thought through. I can't remember the last time I needed to use alchemy but I can't stop myself from grabbing every plant I see. There are so many weapons dropping I don't bother to loot corpses anymore. There's so much money in my pockets (from lack of anything interesting to buy) that I don't even bother to loot chests.

The game is very engrossing and the combat is flat out fun for the first few days, but I agree with what all my friends who have been playing it .. we wish we had waited until there were cheaper used versions up for sale. Not worth the initial $60 in my opinion, and the pre-order stuff will last you your first day playing before you trash them (which unfortunately is how most new games go). When asked by others if I would recommend it I hesitated in saying yes, I'll just let them borrow mine.

The RPG development world become a lot more difficult to keep up with after games such as Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2012
I love this game. And it's been ages since I found one that made me say that. If you like World of Warcraft but got sick of relying on other people I'd suggest checking this out. Very similar questing and leveling up. A tiered point system like WoW so you can improve what skills you're using. Less limiting on what you can learn for skills. You aren't limited to a couple. You can customize you character based on how you like to play. Enjoy slinging spells? Focus on sorcery. Want to rush in to the thick of battle? Then might is for you. Several weapons choices and a primary and secondary weapon slot so you can make use of a long range and short, or fast and slow....whatever you want. Scenery is beautiful, lots of story choices so how things unfold is up to you. My b/f and I each have a game going and it's interesting what different choices we're each offered based on previous choices. We're both obsessed, check it out!
on October 20, 2012
I'm 10 hours into the game and am completely addicted.

RPG Elements: Character Creation: Pretty standard compared to other recent RPG's. 4 different races, all with a male/female option. You select one of like 8 "signs" to be born under, which is like a blessing from a god of your choice. You even get to pick a tattoo to put on your face. There is no body type editing.
Class Choosing: The class system is a little different in this game. Instead of choosing a "path", it's more like you choose a "color", because you can mix and match between 3 different focuses; Might, Finesse, and Sorcery. You can choose one to completely focus on, or you can put 2 of them together, or be a jack of all trades and follow all 3. Each of the 7 options will have their own benefits and as you level up, your "class" will evolve and become more beneficial. For example, if you focus completely on Might, the first class is "Brawler", then once you get to a certain level, you have the option to become a "Fighter", then, with more leveling up, a "Soldier", and it continues up to Tier 6. There is a skill tree for each of the 3 "focuses", and also a list of other skills like Blacksmithing, Alchemy, and Barter. Oh yeah, and you can talk to people called "Fateweavers" and completely change how you've leveled up your character so far. That means you don't have to say things like "on my next play-through, I'll be this class or focus on this type of weapon" because you can change however and whenever you want.

Fighting: This is the real gem in this game. Seamlessly go from cutting down the enemy with a Great Sword, to throwing around a pair of Chakrams, then shoot a couple of lightening bursts from your hands, then slam the ground to create huge upheavals of earth to completely wipe the floor with your enemy. It Looks So Awesome. I love just going around looking for random things to fight because it's just so much fun.

Quests: I am the type who enjoys stacking side quests, then completing them one at a time, then collecting more. There is a main story, but I haven't been following it. 10 hours in and all I've wanted to do is complete the abundance of side quests. There are 4 different categories of quests; Main, Faction, Side, and another for smaller tasks (like running errands). And then there's your list of completed quests.

Graphics: I don't have to tell you how beautiful and bright and colorful and vivid and vibrant this game is. Go watch the trailer.

Other Goodies: The blacksmithing system is awesome! The Sagecrafting system (creating enchanted gems to make your weapons and armor stronger) is awesome! You can even change your characters looks as many times as you want throughout the game. There's just so much really cool stuff in the game. It makes me wanna keep playing. I wrote this review at 3:30 AM, so if it sounded like unorganized rambling, it was. I was up that late playing the game.

***** Edit 2 months later, almost 60 hours of gameplay later, and 110 completed quests later *****
I beat it. At about 30 hours, I stopped putting everything into side quests and started following the Main Story, and here's what I have to say:

Story: I'd give it a 10 for story concept. Story-telling was probably an 8.5 mainly because it leaves you with a few unanswered questions.

Everything previously stated still stands as true, but I'm just gonna list some of the cons:

I wish some of the special "unique" equipment, like armor and weapons, were a little more powerful. I got so good at blacksmithing and sagecrafting that I could literally create the strongest armor set and weapons out of the standard materials (i.e. iron, steel, silver, but in this game, they are azurite, sylvanite, and Prismere being the strongest of the materials). I would find some awesome-looking unique equipment that was not as strong as the stuff I created by myself. I hope this makes sense. The weapons you find thoughout the game that were designed to be epicly strong are nothing compared to the weapons you can make at the forge. Although I think the blacksmithing concept is AWESOME, I wish there were more weapons/armor you could create from the forge. Or that atleast you could make those "unique" weapons/armor more powerful.

There's not much to the final boss, either. Maybe that's just because I had god-like weapons and armor, but I think even without it, it wouldn't have been too tough. When I face a final boss, I always hope it to be as extremely difficult and strenuous as the final boss of the Golden Sun series (which, by the way, if you haven't played those, DO IT. They are the best RPG games ever created). I want it to actually be really tough. And I don't want it to only take 2 minutes to beat.

The environments, while gorgeous, can get a little repetitive later in the game. Nothing too terrible, but it won't have you gasping in awe at every viewpoint.

That's really all I can think of to complain about. Buy the game. It is well worth the $30 that you'll spend. Big Huge Games need the support, too. They deserve it for such a job well done.
on February 14, 2012
Let me tell you a little about myself and what I personally like and don't like in video games. I tell you this so you can make an educated decision on if your interests match up with mine. I love open world\sandbox type games like GTA, Elder Scroll series (Skyrim), Fallout 3. I also love the ability to highly customize my character. I want to see the weapons and armor I have equipped (Diablo, Skyrim). I am 40 hours into KOA. Here is my review.

Graphics 5/5

One of the main concerns in some of the articles and reviews I have read was that Amalur looked like a cartoon or that it doesn't look like Skyrim. This is simply not true and silly. Yes, the game has a different art direction than Skyrim but that's also a good thing. I just spent 130 hours on Skyrim. The last thing I want is a game that looks just like it. The world of Amalur is well crafted and beautiful. Every location has a unique look and feel. I am mean "EVERY" location. Every cave, town, dungeon, forest, etc is different. You could spend hundreds of hours just exploring every nook of Amalur. I can say that about very few other games.

Every weapon, armor, and enemy has a unique look and behaves differently. I am a sucker for unique items (Diablo 2 caused me to miss the first year of my sons life). The look of the character you build is almost infinitely customizable.

I have seen the problem where some human NPCs look cross eyed. It is an minor but unfortunate bug. That said, out of the hundreds of quest giving NPCs you speak with, I have seen it 2-3 times. It is very minor. So maybe a 4.5 out of 5 and I rounded up.

Music and sound 5/5

I have nothing to report here. I am not an audiophile. The music fits and doesn't take me out of the game. That is all I care about.

Gameplay 5/5

It is a hardcore RPG. No question about it. But it is also an action RPG. This is because of the way KOA handles fighting. It is dynamic and engaging but requires very little "twitch" skill. Kind of like a mix of Fable 3 and Gods of War but better. You are almost limitless in the kind of character you can play with 3 different classes (Mage, Warrior, Rogue), each with 35+ skills and abilities. Mix and Match however you want. I am not a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter player. Do not worry about combos or learning moves. It becomes clear when you unlock a skill or ability.

40 hours in and I still have at least another 40-50 hours left on the first half of the map! I am guessing I am about 30% done. I estimate about 140+ of gameplay for me. This is with doing the main story but also doing some of the side and faction quests.

Insanely big world, awesome quests and story, highly customizable character, and wonderful fighting controls that you rarely see is an RPG. Buy it.

9.5 out of 10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2012
I love RPGs, I cut my teeth on Ultima III and eagerly await new offerings. I am have been following this title due to my love of RPGs and the fact that the RI economic development corp threw a ton of money at 38 Studios to get them to move their HQ to RI.

About the game itself:

Open World ---
It is not on the scale of Skyrim, but it doesn't lock you in Levels or Areas the way Fable, Dark Souls or Dragon Age does. You have the freedom to explore areas, follow the quests you want to and build your character's strengths the way you want to.

Story ---
I do not have gaming ADHD, I enjoy listening to and reading the dialog of NPC interactions. What strikes me about KoA:R is that the NPCs have personality and each little task has a flushed out vignette even the typical fed-ex quests are entertaining.

Gameplay ---
I am enjoying the combat and the ease of going from ranged, melee and magical abilities. My biggest complaint about Skyrim was how even the favorite menu was abit clumsy in the middle of a tough battle, so the mechanics here appear smooth and straight forward.
The crafting has some neat processes, I am not too deep into that yet. Though the sagecraft reminds me of the socketing from Diablo II.

Graphics ---
When WoW first came out I hated the graphics, it was too cartoony for me. But over the course of time it grew on me and I found that I really liked it. KoA:R struck me the same way, in fact my first comment to my wife was "This reminds me of WoW!" It is not like Skyrim, Dragon Age or Dark Souls and it doesn't mean that the environments are not lush with detail, that detail is just stylized and I am finding that I really like it.

Bugs ---
The demo was not good, it was buggy and at times unplayable. The game itself is not like that. I have not come across any bugs what-so-ever. Frame rates are smooth, controls responsive and even graphical tearing has not shown up for me.

Originality ---
There is not a lot of new things under the sun and I do not expect games to reinvent the wheel. It is clear that KoA:R has borrowed from other sources (WoW, Dragon Age, Diablo, Oblivion), but it is not entirely like the source. The world building is fresh and interesting; while being familiar enough to not have the player feel out of their element.

Overall ---
KoA:R is a fun game, not ground breaking, not a second-coming but a fun game none-the-less. I look forward to spending more time with it.

For 38 Studio's first release and Big Huge Game's first RPG, I would say it is a sign of good things to come.
on May 19, 2013
I'm just gonna get right down to the point...

The Good:
- Beautiful game environment. The atmosphere and appearance of the in-game environments can be quite majestic, gloomy and overall, quite polished. Though the game is not meant to look like something like Skyrim, the animation is quite good with its WoW-esque animation.
- Gear on gear on gear. The game has a lot of different items, particularly weapons. The designs are different from each other and epic weapons in particular are very visually appealing. **Do not mistake this point for VARIETY. The game only about 9 different types of weapons; longsword, greatsword, staff, etc, but the amount of uncommon/rare/epic items for each category is appalling (in a good way).**
- Tons of quests. This one should be self-explanatory, but the game has too many side/faction quests to count.

The Bad:
- Repetitious. The combat for each class is intriguing and fun at first, but after about 15-20 hours of gameplay, it begins to feel boring and very repetitive. I've played almost all of the playing styles, and while they each have their own niche skills, they all stay very much the same throughout the entire game.
- Minor bugs. A game as large as this isn't going to be bug free so there are occasionally small bugs in the game, such as getting knocked on top of a rock and not being able to get off.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the game. It was fun for about a week or two, but with repetitive gameplay, I eventually could not play for more than 30 minutes without boredom setting in. With a big company such as Electronic Arts, I would've expected the game to be a little more in-depth, enthralling, and varietal. If you can find this game for under $20, buy it; it will keep you entertained for a little while.