Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

VINE VOICEon November 2, 2013
I really enjoyed this book and burned through it in about 2 days. I learned quite a bit about the various brands of whiskey and the laws surrounding how it is named, etc. My only complaint is that the book is titled "Guide to Urban Moonshining" and only spends one chapter on the subject. There are definitely other resources that offer more information on the subject if that is your goal in learning how. That beings said, the book was a fun read and inspired me to visit my local state store to pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig. I suggest picking up a bottle to sip on while you read this book.
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2013
I'm not much of a whiskey drinker but neither am I a teetotaler. As a beekeeper I've had some experience with honey having turned to alcohol, though, and I've made a few batches of beer, too. But I've always had a thought of making some 'whiskey'. Even contacted the ATF offices some years back. Now that I've some time available the idea has reemerged and I was surprised to learn of 'The Kings County Distillery'. Kings county is Brooklyn and I'm a native of that N.Y.C. borough.

I decided to read the book before I toured the distillery and found that Colin Spoelman and David Haskell have included more information on the subject of whiskey in their "Guide to Urban Moonshining", than I had hoped for. Their information on the history of whiskey making held my interest as did all about distilling. It isn't a how to book per se, but Included is information on stills and still making, and there are links for purchasing stills and equipment as well as recipes. I enjoyed it all immensely.
on January 24, 2014
It was a pretty decent read, but I anticipated more of a how to guide rather than a breakdown of what's going on in the world of craft distilling. It did have some great insight into how the world of whisk(e)y works, especially in Bourbon production. The section on distilling was informational, but barely scratches the surface of what I was looking for.
on December 26, 2015
I'm a bit underwhelmed by this book, as it's more of a loose collection of whiskey related facts, that culminate in a recipe for a basic corn moonshine.

All in all, about 5 pages of this book are about actually making and distilling alcohol, it's like I googled for a recipe, and had to read some dudes comprehensive forums post about Moonshine, Kentucky, the Different kinds of Bourbons, why you shouldn't care who made your whiskey, but you should care who made your whiskey.

and then another guy posts a recipe below it.

Save yourself 18 bucks, just google it.
on December 16, 2013
As a bartender I found it extensive and detailed enough to satiate my desire for more knowledge than the average drinker is likely seeking, and yet Haskell has a concise and approachable writing style that makes it accessible for the lay drinker or newly of age looking for a better path than copious amounts of Keystone and Natty Ice.

Not only a very decent intro to distilling at home, but a very insightful look at the whiskey business as a whole. It takes you through the entire process from harvest to point of sale, and is sure to teach something to even the most seasoned of bourbon drinkers.
on May 16, 2014
Very well written and full of whiskey history trivia...but not much more for the home distiller. Great for a history buff or researcher for creating other work. If it's how-to (technique & recipe dos & don'ts) that you want, look elsewhere...there's better information in other Amazon offerings.
on March 27, 2016
An informed and enthusiastic truth-telling about bourbon with a slightly misleading title. Packed with information and the original source of the "Bourbon source tree" that Esquire Magazine published.
BTW- Their own whiskey is tops as is the take on the overblown "Pappy" craze. Page 87 should have (but didn't) put a damper on all those crazy internet Pappy buyers I sell to.
on May 15, 2014
I didn't buy this book as a how-to on distilling, and I didn't read that third of the book, so I can't speak to that. I bought it because I stumbled across the Bourbon Family Tree chart published in this book and publicized elsewhere, and I wanted to read more after having already read "Drink More Whiskey!" This book is a good follow-up to that one, with a more detailed survey of current American whiskeys. If you want to learn more about the different brands, this is a good place to start. So let me reiterate--I found the third of the book on the history of whiskey and survey of whiskeys very interesting and well worth purchase, I wasn't interested in the how-to portion, and the cocktail recipe third I found pretty uninteresting as it lumped in recipes for pancakes and such along with near-impossible recipes for bitters.
on August 6, 2014
Haven't read the book, but I love the bourbon. Book made a great gift for my dad, who loves whiskey and Brooklyn. If you gift the book make sure to also gift a bottle of the King's County bourbon. Visited the actual distillery in Brooklyn - I highly recommend making the trip.
on April 7, 2014
You can tell within a few pages that the book has been written by someone quite passionate about distilling. The content is concise, but covers a nice blend of history and current day concerns. Love the visual style of the book, and hope they write another.