Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: King's Faith
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon November 18, 2013
Cue blurred scene. A male body is lying on the ground in a pool of blood. A woman is crying out, holding him. Police rush in and arrest her. Voice over: I watched my best friend die. This is not your average vanilla Christian movie.

Brendan King (Crawford Wilson) found Jesus and true faith serving time after the police arrested him - when his friend from his gang was shot in the opening scene - and is given one last chance to find a home; his 18th foster home. Mike (James McDaniel) and Vanessa (Lynn Whitfield) lost their policeman son four years ago when he stopped a car and was shot and killed by the driver. Mike hasn't given up on trusting God that there is a plan that included the tragic loss of their son and sees Brendan as a way to serve God and His plan. Vanessa still struggles with the loss and with the idea that a God who loves them would take her son. When Mike brings home Brendan it causes a schism of priorities between Mike and Vanessa.

Brendan, for all his arrests, felonies and gang affiliations, seems genuinely committed to his faith. He joins the local school Bible study / Christian group, the Seekers, and takes humble work mowing the playing fields at school. When Brendon saves prom queen Natalie (Kayla Compton) from her wrecked car before it burned he find acceptance and friendship and above all - hope that he has finally found a way out of his past life. Then his gang shows up.

[SPOILERS] Eli (Brandon Correa), a member of the same gang Brendan belonged to, wants a stash of drugs that Brendan and their slain gangmember hid prior to the bust. Brendan doesn't want the drugs out on the street, but when Eli and his crew start hurting Brendan's friends, and beat him badly, he decides to take the gang out to the drug stash then kill them. Mike, who doesn't know about the details only the difficult decisions, told Brendan that he needs to rely on God, but Brendan feels that this is the only way. [END SPOILERS]

This is a "Christian" movie that defies stereotypes. It isn't cheesy and the resolution seems more realistic than many miracle-at-the-last-second stories. This film is full of violence, drugs, sexuality (including an admission by one of the characters of having an abortion). Non-Christians may still look at the story and think parts of it are too good to be true, but that's the difference between degenerate and regenerate thinking. God really is too good to be true.

One thing I struggled with was the casting in the story. Brendan, Crawford Wilson, is such a clean cut, earnest white guy that it is hard to envision him as a thug drug dealer. Crawford is straight out of 90210's preppy school of acting that even with (obviously fake) tattoos and a couple scars he just isn't able to pull off the complexity of the character. I bought earnest Christian. I didn't buy thug.

This story is well acted by the other actors, especially the sinister Eli, Brandon Correa, mentor Mike, James McDaniel, and hurt mother Vanessa, Lynn Whitfield. I especially liked that Brendan was already saved and dealing with consequences from his previous actions - something that Christians sometimes gloss over suggesting that faith fixes everything, which is not true.

This is perhaps the best Christian film of recent years. Realistic and redemptive.

This DVD was provided by the publisher as a review copy.
on October 20, 2013
King's Faith was a great movie! The story was very good and there were times that I was surprised, tense, moved, and several times where I laughed/chuckled. There is some violence and drug content in King's Faith, but nothing overly graphic (in my opinion).

The only thing I didn't particularly care for about King's Faith was how towards the beginning of the movie, there were prolonged moments with little-to-no dialogue - which made my attention kind of wane. I understood the reason for them (to show how the main character was adjusting/getting used to his new life), but that wasn't a favorite part of the movie for me.

The acting was fantastic and I loved the characters of Mike and Vanessa. I could definitely feel for them and the grief they were going through - Vanessa especially.

Overall, King's Faith was a wonderful movie with a great message! I recommend this movie for teens and adults - it was great!

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*

[4.5 stars]
on October 23, 2013
King’s Faith on DVD is an excellent movie full of action, suspense, faith and love. It tells a story of Brendan who had no family and got involved in a bad life with many bad decisions. In was in and out of many foster families and finally got put in a juvenile penitentiary. While there he became a Christian. When he gets out he has his last chance.
Friends from Brendan’s past look him up and try to get him to become involved again. They try to pressure Brendan by going after his new friends.
What will become of him and his faith now that he’s out?
This is a very entertaining DVD and full of action. It captured my young adults attention and they really enjoyed it. A really nice movie to watch with the whole family. Even though it is a Christian film the acting and scenes are very professionally done.
King’s Faith tells us that with Jesus we have second chances and life can be good and fulfilling. You don’t have to be angry all of the time or out to get everyone. I highly recommend King’s Faith.

“Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
on March 30, 2014
I really enjoyed the film. I am usually a fairly tough critic when it comes to Christian cinema (cinema in general), but I am more critical with Christian cinema because the message is so crucial. Overall the movie is well done, the overall acting is good, there are some rough patches, i.e. some music issues and a few weirdly delivered lines (not unlike many other movies), but the story is layered and has many beautiful subtle moments that resonate. This movie takes some risks with the story telling and content, but it is not unnecessary or graphic which is a relief. I also like that it is not completely predictable. There is a tension that is there, and that is part of what makes it a good story.
on October 11, 2013
This movie was great. It showed how anyone no matter what their past history might be can start over with God's help and Christian friends support. I loved it!
on June 17, 2016
redemption, making changes for a new better life, and the absence of family in this young mans life leave him with taking on the world with his Faith as his strongest treasure. good strong story. I saw it once and purchased it. Have used it and viewed it many timers since.
on April 6, 2015
This is a story of a member of a gang who was heavily into drugs - lived in foster homes and prison. His last time in prison he came to faith in God but his former gang members wouldn't let him alone. The story follows his struggle to stay strong in his faith and come out on top. Inspirational and encouraging.
on November 6, 2013
Brendan King has lived a hard life, running with a rough crowd, being bounced from foster home to foster home. But he found a faith that turned his life around while spending time in the juvenile penitentiary.

Fresh out of prison he finds hope and security in a new foster home and friends that share his beliefs, but his ties to the past threaten to drag him down, especially when it begins to threaten the lives of those he loves.

King's Faith is a fantastic film, with a compelling plot, and many talented actors. I've seen a lot of Christian films, and sadly I couldn't always in good faith recommend them, but King's Faith is completely different. It has a strong message of faith that strikes a perfect balance in that it isn't overly preachy, yet it wasn't flimsy in its message in a Hallmark card kinda way like other films have been. King's Faith conveyed a strong message of faith, that fit perfectly into the setting and plot.

This movie is honestly the best Christian movie I have seen in a long time, the storytelling was inspiring, compelling, and powerful, this is a movie that I could rewatch multiple times because it was just so well done from the story, and filming, to the fantastic actors.

The reason that this movie is rated PG-13 is because of three scenes of violence. The opening scene shows a blurry flashback of Brendan's old life and how he watched a friend die in his own blood. And two scenes where a gun is waved around a in a forcefully threatening manner. There wasn't any swearing or innuendoes, or sex. But because of the violent scenes parents should let their kids watch this only with discretion, because it may not be good for younger children.

Overall though, I give this movie a full 5 stars, and would heartily recommend it to anyone who will listen! This movie well so well done, and I was engaged from the very start of it. Absolutely excellent!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and testimonials in Advertising."
on December 5, 2014
Just like Hans Christian Andersen's tale where `the emperor had no clothes' yet everyone feared the penalty of stating this truth, let me state CLEARLY, "This movie is NOT Christian and the title character is NOT behaving as though he is `born again' or even wants to be"! It is heartwrenching to read reviews which proclaim stories of this type as Christian. Simply giving an actor a Bible to read and setting up a storyline which suggests that he used to be a `bad person' but is now a `good person' (in terms of his social behavior) doesn't make a person a Christian. In fact it doesn't even mean that the person has a fear of damnation, or for that matter ... even a fear of God. All it means is that a person has discovered that one type of behavior is much more likely (than the other) to bring a more pleasant environment into ones daily social life. Social/moral conversions are far more common than spiritual conversions and Matthew 7:16 is a pretty simple way to tell the difference. "By their fruit you will know them."

Almost from the opening scene, this movie proves that King hasn't truly changed (inside his heart) in terms of his purpose/priorities in life. In fact, he is still trying to find comfort by changing his physical environment (proven by his attempt to renovate the nightmare of a house where he once lived). If a Christian were trying to make amends for the past, it should be to repair broken relationships with PEOPLE, not fix up old buildings! Even more ridiculous is when the story exposes the indefensible revelation that he has decided to continue to withhold the secret whereabouts of a very large volume of drugs. What possible excuse could he have to do that? Could there be any question about what the right thing to do would be? I can't accept for a second that he would (or even could) sleep nights with this moral millstone around his neck.

I can say in all honesty that I can't find anything in this story which gives me the impression that either the writer/director or the movie’s co-writer, have even the vaguest notion as to what happens to people when they asks Christ into their heart. Furthermore ... I find it bizarre that in the storyline, the name of `Jesus' is spoken mockingly (twice) by Eli, (one of the gang members), and in another place, King’s new-found friend’s `jealous boyfriend' also uses the name of `Jesus' multiple times (in an unquestionably hateful way), yet ... never, to the best of my knowledge, was it spoken at all by the supposedly born again character.

If you go to the Amazon listing for a movie called Cherry Crush, (which is another movie written and directed by the same person), you can see the trailer for that movie. When I saw it, it told me all I need to know about the reason this movie is so totally clueless about the way someone who is ‘born again’ would actually behave. There seems to be a common theme between the two movies, but that commonality is one focusing on young adults with antisocial and twisted views of life! Some people might argue that the director could have become a Christian sometime after the time when Cherry Crush was made, but this movie, in and of itself, proves otherwise. In short … this is empiricism, and is merely a humanistic interpretation of proper Christian behavior, not a genuine Christian view. 1 Corinthians 2:14 states ‘But the natural man does not perceive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he understand them because they are spiritually discerned.’

At best ... I could go along with a discussion which would show this movie as a training tool for explaining the difference between Christianity and secular humanism. Apart from this possible use, the movie is a total waste in every conceivable way. Simply putting a movie's character in an environment where people talk about, and/or quote from the Bible, doesn't make the story or the character Christian.

This movie makes a naive attempt to exemplify superficial changes in moral behavior as being one and the same with being born again. In conclusion ... it is an insulting and deceptive depiction of what really happens when a person asks Christ into their life.

[In the comment section for this review, I have added some details about this story. Feel free to read them and comment as you wish.]
1010 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2014
This has an excellent symbolic representation on how Jesus delivers and saves us from a horrific past. This is a great message for teenagers on Jesus' redemptive grace to overcome iniquity and trespasses. Through Jesus Christ we can let go of the past and do wonderful things for the Lord Jesus now.