Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 8, 2009
If you like classic adventure games, this is the game for you! I grew up on these things, and they're great. They also improved my spelling and typing skills, since the first four are text-based.

Come in expecting legacy graphics and sound, not modern graphics and music/voices. Come in expecting great stories, challenging puzzles, humor, bad puns, literary references, and you won't be disappointed!
I'm sure many people remember when the first Kings Quest came out in 1984 from Sierra Inc and grew up loving this series forever after. The first game started as you played a knight trying to win the throne of a kingdom and you did this by doing certain quest to return the treasures of the kingdom. The second game was now that you became king you have to have a queen and you see one in a far away place thus you begin your quest to find your future queen. The third game had you play a beaten orphan servant boy to an evil wizard and the quest was to free yourself from the wizard and find your true family. The fourth quest had you play the daughter of the king from the first two games the quest an this adventure is to save the life of the ailing king. The fifth game had you play the king of the first two games the adventure this time was to save your family from a n evil wizard out to avenge his brother for what the king's son did to him in the third game this was first kings quest that had voice actors but sadly they weren't that good. The sixth game had you playing the kings son from the third game this time it's the son looking for a wife and like his father finds one an a far away place being held captive the quest is to free your future bride and set free her homeland from the evil vizard this game also had voice actors but this time professional ones that did a very good job. The last of the true kings quest game had you play the daughter of the king from the fourth game this quest had you trying to escape from a attempted marriage and trying to find what you truly wished to do with your life this game also had great voice actors for the characters but this game also just made use of the mouse controller with a more point and click action rather than typing in commands like the previous four games. To those who have gotten use to the new games don't expect great graphics in the first four games as these were made in 256 colors at best the graphics aren't bad but again if your use to todays Pc games you won't care to much for these games. The audio as well won't probably be up to par with today pc gamers as the first five games use midi music instead of wav audio music again the sounds and music aren't bad but don't expect the audio music quality like todays games. To this box set for the price though I say to all people who played these games as kids growing up get this right away and remember fondly the bygone days of Sierra Inc. and how we played the pc games...
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2015
It has program glitches in it at least on the Princeless Bride (game #7) In one section you have to use a fire cracker to blow open a door. The timing as to when the fire cracker blew up after you picked it up was 1 second and it should be longer. I don't know if there are updates at all since the Sierra website is no longer active. This is an old game. But it still challenges your mind and makes you use your thinking cap. After getting through the timing issue of the fire cracker which was a little frustrating (cause you keep dying and then starting over at the same point) the game is now working fine so far. There was one other glitch but for some reason now it's no longer there. I was told that it could have been something else running on computer that might have caused it rather than the program itself,which makes sense as now the "glitch" is no longer there. There are hints on line from other people that you can use to help you. Even with this flaw I still really like the game. I basically bought it for game 7 as the other games graphics are less clear the lower the game number you go (which is understandable due to the age of the game/graphics). I was told that someone redid the software on this game so it would run on Windows XP which is what I keep for my games. I'm really glad they did as I do enjoy it. This game helps you think outside the box. Thank you to whomever made the updates. Your efforts are appreciated.
on February 11, 2015
do not get me wrong, I LOVE THESE GAMES! I am just disappointed that only half of them work on my computer. And the one that I wanted to play Kings Quest VII (the newest of this set) I cannot get to work. I am sure it is solvable through a dos box, but I just have not taken the time to get each one to work. Additionally, the Kings Quest III and Kings Quest V require spell books and/or puzzle keys in which you cannot get from Sierra any longer. :( BUT, thankfully there are PDF files or keys online to locate so you can complete!
SOOOOO, YES, it is worth buying, because it is hours of pixilated fun! Good times and good memories associated with these games. PLUS, they all are one story, so it is nice to get the complete picture as we wait for the new one! I look forward to the KINGS QUEST VIII. I do hope in 2016?
on August 22, 2015
You can get this to play on Windows 7 with some hassle. I struggled with it a bit, but finally got it to work. Compatibility mode will only work on some of the games. To get everything to work the way it should you must install XP mode which is a hassle and can only be done if you have Windows 7 Pro. KQ 5 however had a fatal glitch about half way through the game. I LOVED these as a kid but realized I probably didn't need to waste that much time playing these old games anyway.
on July 10, 2013
I spent the last 3 hours installing and uninstalling this game pack. The games do not work with Windows Vista. I went online to support for both Sierra and vugames.com and both were useless. Here are the problems:

1. The screen resolution cannot be adjusted to match my computer. I tried resetting the resolution in my Control Panel and resetting the resolution on the properties for the KQ game pack.
2. I cannot save a game -- it says the disk is full and I need to create another save game source. Tried all sorts of things but that didn't work.
3. I downloaded KQ 1-3 for free and was able to fix the resolution to the point that I could see what was going on. KQ4-7 were not free, so I just bought the game pack. I wish I had my money back.

Update: After a couple of email exchanges, the seller refunded my money, including shipping costs. I'm quite pleased that they did this since something was wrong with the disks and I couldn't save games (difficult for KQ players). I would trust this seller.
on November 20, 2012
This King's Quest Collection is excellent! There is a little glitch some times when you start the game with color but all you have to do is back out with the Windows button and reenter and just repeat until the color is corrected. Make sure that under properties the game is set to run on older windows programs. Playing these games is just like old times. And it is made by Sierra not Sienna.
on August 5, 2012
Awesome is the only word I can think to truly describe these games. I was in my early 20's when my family finally got a computer. Mind you, this was in the 1980's. The first computer game we bought was King's Quest, with the game guide. The whole family would gather around and contribute. We took turns, one would read the directions, one would walk, and another would type. Even though the book guide told you what order to do things, it was SO fun to actually do it and figure just what command to write. It brought our family together!!!

I had my children later in my life, and now I have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. When I saw this collection, I HAD to get it!!! I still had the guide book. When it came, my daughter asked if she could choose the avatar!! It took just a short time for my kids to figure out you actually had to think and not just hit and shoot people like on the XBOX 360!!

My daughter and I read the guide book, my son walks Graham, and my daughter types the commands!!! They got right into using their brains on what the correct commands should be!! I gave my daughter online typing lessons, so she is pretty good. She was typing like a pro, as we thought up the commands!!!

What a wonderful way to spend good family time!! Working together!! And we just started King's Quest I. We have 6 more to go!!!!!
on August 28, 2012
As a child I LOVED these games. King's quest 7 is my favorite which is why I bought this. However, make sure your computer is compatible because I have spent the last 2 hours trying everything I can to get the games to work with no luck. I will change this review if I ever get the game to work.

UPDATE: Hours later I have even managed to get my hands on Window 98. Still no luck.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
Compared to today's games, the graphics suck, the controls are difficult to use, and I loved every minute of it. I used to play this game while my mom watched. We would stay up until the middle of the night trying to figure out a problem. This brought back so many memories and worked great on my Windows Vista machine.