Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on October 9, 2013
My husband and I missed this in the theaters and kept looking for its on-line release - so I was pleased to find it on Amazon. OK, it is about teen rebellion and summer love, but we liked it a lot. With so many movies about mean teen girls and shallow relationships of this generation, this tells a warm story about the friendships and bonds between teen boys - the trust, anger and jealousy that comes and goes; a topic that doesn't often get explored in the movies. The best things: the actors were great and well cast; there were several scenes where the cinematography was great (beating the drums in the woods was one); it was a realistic/unrealistic fantasy escape we all might have had in high school. We laughed, we were surprised and we were glad we watched it. As the movie closed, I thought...those guys will be friends forever.
on October 4, 2013
Moises Arias' character alone makes this movie worthwhile. One of the funniest characters and performances I've seen in a while.
on September 15, 2013
This is one of those movies that is interesting from the moment it starts. When I was younger, I always had ideas of doing what these boys did. I thought it would be fun to build a "fort" or "house" in the forest behind our home. Of course, I never actually did it. My parents would have kicked my ass for that. This is a great coming of age movie. You feel great when it's done, like you actually watched something that didn't waste your time.
I review is meant to persuade or dissuade someone from watching a movie. I can wholeheartedly recommend this movie to anyone I know, of all ages. Check it out; I know I will again.
on January 2, 2014
I listen devoutly to the Nerdist Podcast, and the director of The Kings of Summer, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, was on recently and he seemed like a lovely, smart, funny guy. I like to support nice people and the things they create, so they can keep on creating and being nice people, so I watched Kings of Summer.

This film is sweet, and funny, and stunningly, beautifully shot and well-edited and gorgeously acted... it was every single thing you hope that a movie will be - any movie, regardless of budget, should be this cohesive and pretty to look at and interesting start to finish. Yes, that's a high bar, but this film hit that mark hard.

This was my most favorite unexpected movie pleasure of the year.
Touching upon the teenage angst we've all felt while living with our parents, and the frustrations parents feel while living with teenagers, The Kings Of Summer is a movie that my 15 year old daughter and I truly enjoyed.

Best friends run away from home, to live in the woods. To become men. Joined by a third-wheel who they never quite figure out, but who they accept just the same, these teenage boys are frustrated with their parents and are actively rejecting their authority by secretly building a house in the nearby forest. Their initial sense of joyful relief, their emotional growth as they learn to figure things out on their own, and the girl who tug deeply at one boy's heartstrings, are all elements of a story that flow easily into a semi-dramatic, satisfying conclusion.

We laughed a lot watching this film, perhaps recognizing ourselves in the characters. It is a drama, but one with a strong sense of the ridiculousness of life and the characters we are, as well as the ones we meet along the way.

I recommend this movie. It's quirky, but the characters are real, the story is good, as is the acting. It's a movie that doesn't have sex or violence, but it does have a message that I think both adults and teens can appreciate and learn from in the end.
on September 22, 2013
THE KINGS OF SUMMER is an entertaining coming-of-age movie, reminiscent of STAND BY ME, but with a lighter touch.

Joe (Nick Robinson), Patrick (Gabriel Basso) and Biaggio (Moises Arias) are a trio of Mid-West teens who have decided to flee their parents. Joe's dad (Nick Offerman) is a wisecracking, insensitive "s.o.b.". Patrick's folks (Megan Mullally, Marc Evan Jackson) are on the "creepy" side, and, except for one brief scene, we don't really meet Biaggio's parents, but he's a bit "weird," so that should tell us something.

The truth is that, from a teenager's standpoint, all parents are insensitive, creepy and/or weird.

In an ultimate act of independence, the three boys decide to spend their summer building a ramshackle house in the woods and living off the land. The house goes up amazingly fast, and while the parents and the police (led by Mary Lynn Rajskub) search for them, the teens have a great time. The adventure, however, turns south when Kelly (Erin Moriarty), enters the boys' domain...and jealously rears its ugly head.

With a sharp eye for the beauty of nature, Jordan Vogt-Roberts directed Chris Galletta's well-written screenplay. The actors are uniformly excellent in their individual roles.

The Blu-Ray disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment contains audio commentary by director Jordan Vogt-Roberts, writer Chris Galletta, and actors Nick Robinson, Gabriel Basso and Moises Arias, deleted and extended scenes, and three "behind the scenes" featurettes.

© Michael B. Druxman
on January 4, 2014
This movie got good reviews, so my family and I checked it out. I found it to be a well played, well told, coming of age story. I wasn't overwhelmed with pop-culture references and actors trying to overdue it. My kids on the otherhand, well they didn't care for it. When the movie was over two of them said, "Okay. What was that about?" clearly they didn't get it. So this film may not be for everyone.
on May 10, 2015
This movie is a fantastic watch. Though Biaggio makes the movie but there is a lot to process (probably more than some reviews give credit). I know there are a lot of coming of age movies but there certainly is no problem with another quality one. Remember not all kids have the same experience and this may strike a cord with some. We laughed out loud so many times it was so worth it and we watched with our kids who still quote the movie. This is a keeper and we will watch many more times.
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2016
This movie is a fantasy based on realistic family dynamics. It is about two teenage boys who have been friends since childhood, and their two very different families. One of the boys is living with his sarcastic and gloomy Dad, a man who is trying to do his best at raising his son after loosing his wife. The other boy is a single child living with his parents, who are loving, but extremely over protective. These two different types of overbearing situations, in combinations with the teenagers common feeling of invincibility, leads them to runaway from home to live in the wilderness, together with another teenage boy who is odd but caring. Their escapade leads them through all kinds of adventures and learning experiences as they are forced to come of age. I highly recommend this movie.
on June 13, 2016
Good quality movie of young men coming of age together as friends who become best friends in a world of fantasy that is actually their reality. It's funny, artistic and happy-go-lucky kind of film that brings inspiration and lifts your spirit. The kids in this movie are talented, good looking in their own ways and excellent with each other, which equates to good casting. The parents are love-able even though the kids hate them, which is what most families are like in the real world. This movie is appealing to most people who thinks about friendship, life, family, relationships, future and fantasies. Can you tell I enjoyed it? Oh the young main character also is the actor in Jurassic World.