1,948 Reviews
 (1,416)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston quality, massive storage, what's not to love?
There are some things to consider before buying this particular card or any other 32gb SDHC card on the market:

Published on December 2, 2008 by Nathan Beauchamp

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable - Disappearing Pictures
Published on December 12, 2008 by A. Rennier

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston quality, massive storage, what's not to love?, December 2, 2008

1. This is NOT an ideal card for a digital SLR like a D80, D90, Rebel XT, etc... That is because it is a class 4 device. The class of a SDHC cards has to do with how fast they read and write files, not how much storage they have. For a digital SLR, you should purchase a class 6 SDHC card most of the time. Class 6 cards will allow you to take 'bursts' of photos and not be limited by the card's capacity to write them. Also class 4 cards are slower reading data, meaning they will take longer to upload files to your computer. Upload speed is convenient, especially when loading large batches of files.

2. This card has far more storage than most people will need for their digital camera. Unless you like to keep all your photos on a SDHC card and never move them to your computer, or are a high volume photographer, there is very little need for more than about 8gb of storage space for most caeras. The possible exception to this is if you have a professional SLR that shoots files in the 16-20mb range--but if you do, you'll likely want a class 6 card anyway. If all you intend to use this card for is a digital camera, save yourself a lot of money and buy a PNY 8GB SDHC Card. If you're worried about running out of space on a vacation, buy a few of them. Otherwise you run the risk of having 'all your eggs in one basket.' If one card fails, you lose all your pictures instead of only a portion of them.

This card is fantastic for use in a video camcorder capable of writing to an SDHC card. (Check with the manual first to insure that a class 4 card will be fast enough first). It is also perfect as extra storage for an ultra portable computer or net book like the Asus EEE pc. Another great application would be as added storage to a personal media player or MP3 player equipped with a SDHC slot such as the Cowon D2.

There are other good 32gb SDHC cards on the market, some at cheaper price points than the Kingston card. IMHO, brand matters very little with something like a SDHC card, since they all are made pretty much the same way. None of the brands currently offering them (Transcend, PNY, Kingston) have high fail rates with their other products, so I believe they are all pretty similar. What you decide to buy will depend on whether you trust a particular brand, or who has the lowest price. All of them will work equally well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, but don't expect fast speeds., December 8, 2007
Excellent for the price. I give it a 4/5 because it performs slower than expected from a C4 SDHC card. I also have a Sandisk EIII 2GB. Although it doesn't have the class ratings because it's not SDHC, the Sandisk outperforms the Kingston in both read/write.

My test scenario: Using a Nikon D80 taking 6 shots continuously. The Kingston took considerably longer to write contents from the Nikon D80 buffer.

If you're looking for a high speed card in a similar scenario, then look elsewhere. However, if you want a good card and no particular need for speed, then I recommend getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Big, September 8, 2008
PREFACE:

I bought this card for extra disk space on my Asus EeePC netbook. I needed as much space as possible to supplement the very small SSD hard drive. I needed something with large capacity and relatively fast file transfer time.

PROS:

It shares the largest SD capacity on the market today with few others (Panasonic, Sandisk, and PNY) and is a quality name that I have had a good history with in the past. Its file transfer time is similar to the SSD drive in my machine so it basically acts as a second SSD for me at less than a quarter of the price!

CONS:

Its not the cheapest 32gb SD card(PNY) nor the fastest(Panasonic) but its good quality with a decent transfer rate.

CONCLUSION:

I'm very happy with its performance and capacity. I would like to see the price come down a bit, but that's the price of getting electronics of this caliber.

That's my input, take it or leave it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars If it was a little faster..., January 19, 2008
I contemplated a 4 star rating, but when you buy the card, you know that it is a "class 4" card, which means it's supposed to transfer files at at least 4MB/s. If it's crucial and you can afford it, you could get the "class 6" card, which would make a difference when transferring large amounts of data.

In short:
*Pros:*
- Capacity. You can get more capacity, but this is a bout the best size/price ratio.
- Price. Again, 8GB and 4GB cards have the best size/price ratio.
*Cons:*
- SDHC. This is not really a con if you have new equipment, but SDHC is a newer standard, so you have to make sure you have the right equipment - SDHC IS NOT THE SAME AS SD!!
- Speed. It's not "slow", but if you've had fast cards you'll notice the difference. Of course, you know this from the "Class 4" rating, so it's also not really a con.

I've owned 2 Kingston SD cards. The oldest of them is about 3 years old and is still as reliable and good as when I first got it, so I have reason to believe this card will last for a while.

My older Kingston 50X SD card is about twice as fast as this card, but it's only 1GB, so I needed more GB's to capture more video. This card would be just about perfect if it was faster. When I say that, I don't mean that the card is slow - my Vista machine can use it for ReadyBoost and camera performance is good. Just know that ReadyBoost can only use 4GB of memory, so you'll have 4GB of memory just sitting unused if you use it for this purpose.

Primarily, I use this card for recording video clips and pictures with my Canon cameras, SD800IS and A710IS. For that purpose the card is great. I haven't noticed any lag when taking 7.1 Mega-pixel pictures (which range from 1MB to about 4MBs) or full screen VGA video (640x480). Here's some general advice for these cameras in particular, but it applies to most cameras:
1. Don't record more than about 10 minutes of video at a time because the file size goes over 1GB, but this depends on the camera and video format, not the card itself.
2. You might want to get an external card reader, if you don't have an internal card reader. You'll be fine transferring files directly from the camera if you only take a few snapshots and short videos. But if you plan on truly using all 8GB and transferring them at once, do yourself a favor and get a card reader. Most cameras are not meant to read/transfer files at fast speeds (even if they're USB 2.0 capable), and at least with the SD800IS, I could not transfer files over 500MB. Once I used a memory card reader, transferring was a breeze.

Although reading times are fast enough (between 4-8MB/s), writing is a bit slower - it tops out at about 4MB/s, which is good enough for the "Class 4" rating and fast enough to capture pictures without (noticeable) lag in my cameras.
It's a great card for the price; just make sure you understand what you're buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable - Disappearing Pictures, December 12, 2008
I had this card in a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 camera for about a month, and in that time the card experienced a "read error" on three separate occasions that resulted in all the pictures currently on the card disappearing. I called Panasonic customer service and the first question they asked was what brand card I had. When I told them Kingston, they advised me to get a new card, as nearly everyone who complained about disappearing pictures (in any model camera) had a Kingston card. I'd much rather spend a little more money and actually have my pictures!

2.0 out of 5 stars does the job, but not good enough..., December 23, 2009
I didnt realize how fast the point and shoot cameras are getting sooo many megapixels until I started looking for a good one for my mom... This card is no good for a 12 megapixel camera! It takes way too long to save each picture slowing down how fast you're able to take consecutive pictures! Go for the Sandisk extreme cards and dont look back!

I only have SLR cameras, and use the San Disk extreme cards because speed is crucial! Dont cheap out on a card after buying a nice camera, or you'll be sorry! Thats the first thing i noticed when showing her how to use her new Canon Point and Shoot camera is how SLOWWWWWWWW it took to save each photo before I could take another.. If waiting a few seconds between each picture is a non-issue, buy all means save some money and buy this card.

Bottom line: You're wasting your money buying this card to use in a high resolution point and shoot, which they all seem to be now days. Just too slow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Card, November 21, 2007
Biju (South Brunswick, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I have this card. This is extremely fast card. I did a test on my laptop sd slot writing 6 gb files onto the card. Average speed was 5mb per second. that was more than it rated for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received Faulty, October 22, 2009
May have just been a bad one of the batch, but 90% of pasted pictures were unveiwable or distorted, videos that were coppied to the SDHC were unveiwable. When copying documets under a subfolder, it would be copied to all folders, even created a music folder and had an almost infinite number of subfolders named "music" within each one. But customer service from this vendor is excellent. Immediate responses, very helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two defective in one order? Sketchy., September 16, 2009
I ordered two of these for additional camera storage. One was unusable from the start. The other entered a similar state after a few hours of use. Now both can be read and written, but inconsistently. Data is often corrupted and sometimes the device fails altogether. These are not the first SD/SDHC cards I've used by a long shot, and user error was not responsible in any way for their lack proper function. The other SDHC cards in my stock work fine in all of the devices I use.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the quality of this item. With a sample size of two, I can't really comment extensively on Kingston's overall quality statistics. It is rather suspect however that two of two are borked within a single order. I can't say anything about Amazon's response as I've so far dropped the ball on following up with them. Other reviewers indicate that all problems have been handled expediently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware memory speed class myths - Very good card for dSLRs, September 18, 2010
David C. Leaumont "Dave" (Bossier City, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I just returned from a 2 week vacation in the UK with my digital SLR cameras. My wife's camera used a Class 10 16GB card, and I used the same, until my card died. Thankfully, I had purchased 4 of these Class 4 Kingston 4 GB cards. I used them to take pictures for most of the vacation without problem. Thanks to these cards, I was not forced to buy expensive camera media while 'in the field.'

Does speed really matter?
I have a 15.1 MP Canon T1i digital SLR. My wife's camera is a 12.2 MP Canon XSi. I shoot in burst mode because I do not have image stabilization on my lens (burst mode increases odds of a tack sharp image), and I often shoot in dark rooms (museums) that do not allow tripods. These cards never precluded me from recording a shot during the two weeks and 15 GBs I used them. I shoot in Raw + L mode (meaning I get a largest JPEG and a RAW image for each shutter opening). I never had a problem due to this "slow" memory card.

I researched the issue of memory card speeds before I left on the trip. I had already purchased high class cards (2x Class 10 16GB cards), but found that after I made said purchase, that they were a waste. According to both Scott Kelby and Tom Ang (the two most prolific digital photog authors): A current point-and-shoot camera will NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card. If there is a delay in saving with a point-and-shoot, it is the camera, not the card. (assuming your card is not faulty) If you have an entry-level dSLR camera, you will ALMOST NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card, as your camera cannot use the extra speed. I say 'almost never' because as of now the line of entry dSLRs cannot use the higher speeds effectively enough to show a benefit from a faster card (the camera itself cannot write fast enough). But, the entry-level market is growing in its technological capability, so this may change over the next few years.

The only time you will need a higher speed card is if you are using high-end dSLR work and are shooting in burst mode in RAW. This means you've spent several thousand dollars on your camera, and another grand to $1500 on your lens. People who spend that much on their equipment (professional photographers) will not read this review because A- they know the above and B- why buy such a cheap card if they can afford thousands in equipment?

Don't waste your money on higher class ratings of cards unless you have thousands sunk into your photo equipment already.

The most important thing with memory cards are (in priority order): 1- correct format (SDHC, etc), 2- size (how many GBs), 3- brand name (Kingston, Sandisk, PNY, etc) The first two are obvious, but the third item is where the rubber meets the road. Companies without the big names sell for less money, usually, to try and gain market share. To do this, they often use inferior parts and processes (or get the cast offs from the bigger companies), and produce inferior cards. Of the cards I have had fail, all have been non-name cards. Buy from reputable manufacturers and you will be happier.

Video Addendum - The above applies to photography, not videography. If you are shooting HD video (Canon T1i can do this), then you may think about a Class 6 card. Basically you need a minimum speed faster than the data speed (plus an overhead, 10-20% is usually fine). For 720p video @30mpbs (18 min per 4gb file), you need 3.8mb/s minimum write speed. That means a true class 4 card (min 4mb/s) would be cutting it close, and class 6 is a bit of overkill (unless you go for the 45mbps 1080p, then that's getting close too).