1,705 Reviews
 (1,241)

The manufacturer commented on the review below
5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than the 450 MB/s Spec
I originally was getting poor performance out of this drive(sub 200 MB/s). I found out I was using generic AHCI drivers. Once I installed the correct driver(windows 8.1 thinks the generic drivers are just fine) the speed was faster than I expected. The write speed on this drive is crazy fast. The 4K random using (ATTO 2.41) 205 MB/s and read 136 MB/s. The sequential...
Published 5 months ago by Jeff

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Just a word of warning about this particular SSD
Kingston seems to have pulled a Samsung and entered this device into the infamous hardware lottery. if you have version 5.05 of this device, then you are good to go and will achieve all rated speeds, power consumption, etc for it. This version of the device is manufactured in Taiwan.

As of version 5.06, it is a total crapshoot if you will get a good drive...
Published 12 months ago by W. Sumner

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Just a word of warning about this particular SSD, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5-Inch SV300S37A/120G (Personal Computers)

As of version 5.06, it is a total crapshoot if you will get a good drive manufactured in Taiwan or one from their other manufacturing sites in China. The mainland Chinese versions to put it nicely, don't even come close to the rated read/write speeds for this particular device, with write speeds falling from the advertised rate to a max of 240 mb/s on SATA III (device is officially rated at over 500 mb/s write speeds and the 5.05 version regularly achieves 540 mb/s).

There are similar warnings and whatnot about this issue about the drive on other sites, with some customers going so far as accusing Kingston of bait-n-switch after submitting the 5.05 to all of the review sites where it was benchmarked and scored numerous high marks and then almost immediately (within two months) releasing the 5.06 into the retail market.

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 7:42:44 AM PST
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. Drives with firmware version 505 or 506 both meet advertised specifications. The firmware version has no bearing on the speed of the drive and drives typically ship with the latest firmware that has been qualified. All of our manufacturing facilities provide the same quality products and run at the same standards (http://www.kingston.com/us/company/facilities). If the drive is tested with ATTO Benchmark the speed results should meet or exceed advertised specifications which is officially 450MB/s read and write. Our KC300 SSD is 500MB/s write and 525MB/s read and our HyperX 3K is 450MB/s write and 540MB/s read. Feel free to contact us directly for more information or if there is any issue with the drive you received. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible 5.0.6 firmware ruins SSD, December 22, 2013
*update 1/12/14* Firmware is not the issue, Kingston switched to asynchronous NAND

Seems I found the real culprit after speaking with several SSD experts on various tech forums, get ready for a class action lawsuit Kingston. Here's the scam, Kingston switched to cheap asynchronous memory chips that don't run in parallel after the first few months of production.

That means single channel bandwidth instead of multiple channels like earlier v300 SSD's. Instead of running at 200mhz, its running at 66mhz. This effects read and write speeds enormously.

Kingston hid this fact by using solvent on the original labeling of the memory chips, then printed their own logo on top. Kingston does not manufacture any memory themselves. When SSD was shipped out for review it used quality Toshiba 19nm NAND but Kingston used solvent on chips labels and printed their own. This was odd, but the reason for it soon became obvious. After only a few months they switched to inferior quality chips with the same Kingston label.

NO OTHER SSD MANUFACTURER ERASES ORIGINAL NAND LABEL AND PRINTS THEIR OWN ON TOP!

This is FRAUD in my opinion and Kingston could very well be seeing a class action lawsuit coming there way for this stunt. Other SSD makers have tried this crap in the past and got busted. They were forced to RMA all the drives back to synchronous memory chips which cost much more.

Kingston switched to cheaper quality NAND without saying a word. Firmware for Sandforce SSD's cannot cause you to lose 70 percent of read and write speeds. Lesson learned, never buy anything from Kingston again, they are criminals.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 7:51:20 AM PST
Hello John,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. Our V300 Solid State Drive uses the LSI SandForce 2281 SATA 6GB/s controller and MLC NAND from various manufacturers. The performance target for these drives is 450MB/s Read and Write using ATTO 2.41 with the SSD connected to a SATA 3.0 / 6Gb port. The SandForce 2281 controllers also employ a feature called DuraWrite™. In simple terms, this enables data compression and minimizes the data written to the SSD. DuraWrite™ extends the drives endurance and overall drive life with a byproduct of increased performance. There are a number of benchmark utilities publicly available that you can use however we use ATTO Benchmark 2.41 which we feel best reflects a real world workload. ATTO is also easy to obtain and run from the utility's website. Other benchmarking utilities may use fully incompressible data as part of their standard workload. Incompressible data can negatively affect benchmark performance on both the read and write speeds of our V300 drive depending on which NAND we are using. This is irrespective of the firmware revision of the drive. If the results stated in your review are from another benchmark utility that uses incompressible data than it will not show our advertised speeds. If the drive you recieved is performing 70% slower using ATTO than we can set up a warranty replacement to get you a properly working drive. For any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hot off the Press, March 3, 2014
AnandTech finally came out with an updated review of the V300 today. Google 'An Update to Kingston SSDNow V300: A Switch to Slower Micron NAND' to find it.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars ¡Warning! Read this BEFORE you purchase this sddnow v300 120gb drive it is a SLOW DRIVE, December 25, 2013
This is my first review.
I was pretty excited to get this drive because I saw it in “good” price and for all the positive reviews, however, I did a little research and I found that this drive is SLOW, because Kingston advertise that is about 450 megabytes per second both read and write but it does at approximately 170-130. I’ll summarize the info for you.
There are 3 types of firmware with this drive, the one I got has the firmware 5.0.6, which is the main problem because it slows down the drive for any reason. The other two are previous 5.0.5 firmware’s (they don’t have the problem), you can find which firmware the drive has by looking at the sticker in front of the drive, the one I got is 506ABBF0, or 5.0.6, you can also see it if you download the toolbox program from Kingston website.
However, by now there is no possibility to downgrade to the previous 5.0.5 firmware, or upgrade to the already release 5.0.7 that might correct the problem. The thing is that maybe all of this was planned. First Kingston sell this drive with the 5.0.5 firmware and quality components that reaches incredible speed and everybody rate it with positive reviews, but once it has gain a high reputation Kingston now produces a low quality cheap NAND flash inside of it, several people complains that maybe the problem is far beyond the firmware, maybe is the crappy quality products inside of this drive and therefore the firmware upgrade will never come, because the problem might be the product itself.
I use different benchmark programs (like crystal disk mark, as ssd or atto) and all the speeds and writes in sequential mode are around the 170-130, not even close to the 450 mb that Kingston advertise.
Save your money and instead go for a Samsung or San Disk drive, I read that they do what they say about the writing and reading speeds. I’m from Mexico and I bought this drive online at amazon, I don’t know if I can return it, and if I can ¿how? Should I have to pay for the shipping cost? Now I know why the drive was “on sale”, Amazon wants to get rid of it.
If you don’t believe my story and you think “It will not happen to me” first I encouraged you to just google: 506ABBF0 firmware.
I regret about purchasing this drive, I WILL NEVER BUY KINGSTON PRODUCTS AGAIN.
By the way, amazon shipping service are great, I receive the drive just in a few days after I place the order, shame that I just got a lemon drive.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 7:51:43 AM PST
Hello Ricardo,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. Our V300 Solid State Drive uses the LSI SandForce 2281 SATA 6GB/s controller and MLC NAND from various manufacturers. The performance target for these drives is 450MB/s Read and Write using ATTO 2.41 with the SSD connected to a SATA 3.0 / 6Gb port. The SandForce 2281 controllers also employ a feature called DuraWrite™. In simple terms, this enables data compression and minimizes the data written to the SSD. DuraWrite™ extends the drives endurance and overall drive life with a byproduct of increased performance. There are a number of benchmark utilities publicly available that you can use however Kingston uses ATTO 2.41 which we feel best reflect a real world workload. ATTO is also easy to obtain and run. Other benchmarking utilities may use fully incompressible data as part of their standard workload. Incompressible data can negatively affect benchmark performance on both the read and write speeds of our V300 drive depending on which NAND we are using. This is irrespective of the firmware revision of the drive. Our products bring to market a real world workload as advertised under the conditions outlined in our documentation. All Kingston V300 SSDs bring an excellent user experience to our customers namely faster boot and shutdown, faster application loading, extended battery life verses HDDs, faster disk performance overall and most importantly a quality SSD product. If as you stated the drive is not performing properly when tested with ATTO than the drive you recieved may be defective and can be replaced under warranty. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

1.0 out of 5 stars This drive is a scam, December 11, 2013
If I bought this drive a year ago it would have been a great purchase. That was when all the reviews for these drives were written on most tech sites and all the benchmarks came out.

Fast forward a year and I order 2 of these drives and I receive less than half of the reported benchmark speeds. I used 2 different computers, both had SATA in ACHI with TRIM enabled, SATA III ports.

Kingston's response of course is that the benchmarks are measured using ATTO Disk Benchmark which uses uncompressed data which gives higher benchmarks.

However I have seen multiple reviews done a year ago that used both CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD Benchmark and both of those tools had sequential read speeds of ~450 MB/s. CDM can be run using compressed and uncompressed data but both scores for this drive a year ago were at least 450 MB/s. All my results for my two copies of this drive are ~170 MB/s.

I'm not the only one either. Google this drive, all the reviews people give of this drive getting good benchmarks are the 5.0.5 version of this drive. Everyone I've seen who has the new 5.0.6 version are all slow. I'm not sure if its the firmware or the fact that Kingston is taking advantage of the early good reviews and just now using cheaper parts to save money.

The worst part of this entire experience is that I wasted Black Friday to purchase these drives. Now all my other options are at least 20% more expensive so I'm just completely out of luck.

This drive is marginally faster than a standard HDD for way more money. Kingston is scamming everyone

2.0 out of 5 stars Even Taiwan drives are slow now., January 5, 2014
The drive I received was made in taiwan not china and shipped with the 5.21 firmware, but it still read the slow read/ write speeds, 170/130 mb/s

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 11:27:10 AM PST
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. We understand that not all benchmarking utilities provide consistent results with our V300 SSD. This is caused by slight differences in the behavior of the MLC NAND flash component that may be used in the SSD and differences in the workload used by the benchmarking utilities. The NAND flash component may be from various manufacturers in an effort to continually bring the highest quality SSD products to our customers. All V300s are designed with the LSI SandForce 2281 SATA 6GB/s controller and should reach our out-of-box advertised read/write speed of 450MB/s in a SATAIII (6Gbps) port in AHCI mode tested with ATTO Benchmark 2.41. We stand by all of our products and are here to help. If the drive is not performing as advertised or you are unsatisfied with performance of the drive, please contact us and we will do our best to resolve the issue under our warranty. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising from Kingson, January 26, 2014
DO NOT BUY this drive. Speeds are slower than expected as Kingston switched out the components for poorer quality, slower chips. As consumers, it is our responsibility to avoid these manufacturers that pull bait-and-switch scams.

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 6:48:55 AM PST
Hello Chu,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and yes I'm really here to help out. We designed the V300 to be a great entry level drive with a good mix of price and performance. To do that we source both synchronous and asynchronous NAND flash components for the V300 from various manufacturers. This in turn creates a delta in performance from build to build, while all meet our baseline fresh-out-of-box spec of 450-450MB/s in ATTO, some may exceed. All Kingston SSDs go through a rigorous qualification process which begins with qualifying the NAND flash components we use to ensure a high quality product. More details on our testing procedures available here: http://www.kingston.com/us/company/testing . If the drive is not performing as specified in our datasheet or you are unsatisfied with the working performance of the drive, please contact us and we will do our best to resolve the issue under our warranty, as detailed here: http://www.kingston.com/us/company/warranty . Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

As always, thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Kingston should be ashamed for their behavior and the performance of the current version of this drive, February 8, 2014
Helpme (Santa Rosa, CA) - See all my reviews
As other reviewers have mentioned, the drive manufacture changed the type of flash memory used in this drive midway through the product's life (without changing the model number or performance specs). What this means for you is that the performance of this drive with is MUCH worse when compared to original reviews for this drive.

I didn't check this out in advance and made the mistake of buying this drive. So, for those expecting around 400 MB/s read and write performance, you will only see that under very controlled circumstances. Reading or writing movie files, or photos (such as with a video editing or photo editing program), will result in performance of around 100 - 150 MB/s instead of the expected 300-400 MB/s.

Running drive benchmarks other than the manufacture's specifically selected one will result in similar results. Prior to the change in memory type, the same tests would have resulted in speeds of 300-400 MB.

For Kingston to change the type of memory used after the product has been reviewed by online media outlets is shady at best. For example, see this review published in January of 2013:

(Amazon removes links, see hardocp review)

And this review published in May:

(Amazon removes links, see xbitlabs review)

It explicitly calls out that the differentiating factor in this new V300 drive is that it uses high quality "Toggle Flash", where as the previous generation of this drive used cheaper asynchronous NAND. So, Kingston sold the drive with the faster memory early on. Once the drive was reviewed, they changed it to the cheaper and slower memory without warning to the consumer.

I would have returned the drive, but was not alerted to this fact until after my Amazon return window had passed. Sorry Kingston, I won't be considering any of your products again in the future.

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 7:24:27 AM PST
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. The V300 is our entry-level SSD targeting the mainstream user. In order to achieve a balance of price and performance, we source NAND flash components from various Tier 1 NAND manufacturers. Our V300 SSDs are built with either synchronous or asynchronous NAND flash components. The specification of the V300 SSD is using ATTO 4.21 to achieve a minimum of 450MB/s Read / Write. Your results may differ should you benchmark your drive with something other than ATTO 4.21. We stand by our products and if you are unsatisfied with the working performance of your drive, please contact us and we can work with you to find the best resolution under our warranty. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

1.0 out of 5 stars 170/130, January 26, 2014
170MB/S reading 130MB/S writing. It should read at 450MB/S and write at 170 MB/S. Works nothing like it advertised. Very disappointed.NEVER KINGSTON AGAIN!

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 7:04:04 AM PST
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. We are here to help and can troubleshoot with you to determine what may be causing the slow speeds. All V300 drives meet our baseline fresh-out-of-box spec of 450-450MB/s in ATTO Benchmark, testing in other utilities may not provide similar results. If the drive is not performing as specified in our datasheet or you are unsatisfied with the working performance of the drive, please contact us and we will do our best to resolve the issue under our warranty. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

As always, thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Kingston SV300S37A Write= 87 MB/S, March 11, 2014
Kingston SV300S37A/60 actual write speed is about 1/5 the advertised performance (constitutes FRAUD) of 450MB/s read/write.

***In response to Kingston's comment to user complaints "Blackmagic disk speed only uses incompressible data as it's benchmark workload which would show you a worse case scenario". This means other Manufacturer's "worse case scenario" has proven exceedingly better than Kingston's "worse case scenario"***

Here is a sample comparison of one of my mid-range SSD drives with test speeds on a Mac running Blackmagic Disk Speed Test:
Kingston SV300S37A Write= 87 MB/s Read= 262 MB/s
Crucial M500 Write= 415 MB/s Read= 480 MB/s

Desktop copy:
Kingston SV300S37A duplicating a 10GB file= 2:25 mins
Crucial M500 duplicating a 10GB file= 0:44 mins
Western Digital 1TB platter drive duplicating a 10GB file= 3:07 mins

I ran additional Blackmagic Disk Speed tests and noticed:
Write speed for the Kingston SV300S37A/60 is much slower than my USB 3.0 PNY flash, thumb drive.
Write speed is a lot slower than my 2.5" external 5400 rpm USB 3.0 WD MyPassport Ultra, platter drive.

Pros: the Kingston drive has faster read speeds than an internal 5400 rpm platter drive.

Cons: the Kingston drive is a lot slower at writing than a 5400 rpm platter HD and my USB 3.0 thumb drive, it's also very heavy making it a poor choice for notebooks.

I spoke to a Kingston Technician (1-800-435-0640) he said the 450 MB/s R/W speed is based on "compressible data"? So there is only a speed benefit if the files can be compressed. So you can't keep any MP3s, movies, photos, PDFs etc on your Kingston drive because they are not compressible. I'm looking at the Kingston packaging and nowhere is this restriction indicated when touting "10x faster than a standard 7200 rpm HD". He refused to acknowledge the fact that my mid-range SSD is copying a file in a fraction of the time compared to the Kingston. This is disingenuous because Kingston doesn't allow the comparison that other SSD or platter drives can perform many times faster regardless of "compressible data". Other SSD drive manufacturers such as Sandisk provide realistic performance ratings for example:
SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB SSD is rated at Read= 520MB/s Write= 155MB/s.

I used to recommended Kingston products because, in the past, they produced quality products. Why did this change? I would not recommend the Kingston line of SSDs because of the significant lack of performance and value.

***Update: I returned the Kingston 64 GB SSD to Best Buy and bought a Sandisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 128GB SSD for $33 more.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 7:31:55 AM PDT
Hello Danny,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. Our advertised specifications are based on testing in ATTO Benchmark with the V300 connected to a native SATAIII port in AHCI mode. ATTO Benchmark uses compressible data in it's workload. The 10X faster rating is based on results from PCMark® Vantage HDD Test Suite. This is not specifically stated on the packaging but it is stated on our datasheet (http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/sv300s3_us.pdf). The V300 is designed to be an entry-level SSD balancing performance and entry-level pricing. To better understand the overall performance of the V300, please see our V300 Benchmark Brief: http://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/V300_Benchmark_Brief_MKF_586.pdf . If you were looking for our fastest SSD product, consider our HyperX 3K SSD which is designed for enthusiasts and gamers who need the fastest drive. For any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.