Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Capacity: 32 GB|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 13, 2012
I needed a USB drive on my keychain. I bought 6 different ones (some purchased at Amazon and some at Staples). This one is my favorite. The metal casing feels strong yet light. And it fits easily on any keychain. It's about 80% the size of a standard house key (see my photo that I added). Also, it's very good looking. Looks great on the keychain; looks great when inserted into any computer.

The drive read/write speeds are a little on the slow side but reasonable. I timed some file transfers on my computer (Dell Optiplex 380):
* For read speeds, I averaged 16.1 MB/s (ranged from 10 MB/s to 18 MB/s).
* For write speeds, I averaged 6.8 MB/s (ranged from 4 MB/s to 11 MB/s).
In general, larger files took longer to transfer than smaller files (single 300 MB file took longer to move than one hundred 3 MB files). Other users with the same device have reported an average of 17-18 MB/s read speeds and 11-12 MB/s write speeds. These are considered to be AVERAGE speeds for usb flash drives. If speed is of the essence, then look for a high speed drive that can read/write 30 MB/s or faster. If you're mostly transferring documents, photos, and other small files, then these speeds should suffice.

Another small complaint. I do not feel a 'click' when the drive is inserted fully. So I just push until it won't go in anymore or when I see that the computer has recognized the drive. A minor annoyance in an otherwise great USB drive.

I highly recommend this drive. While the speed on this device is not top notch, its performance is reliable and it comes in a great little package.
review image
2323 comments|568 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2012
UPDATE: I've had the DataTraveler on my keychain (that is not handled gently, by any means) for over 6 months now and it is still good as new. I keep some important business files on it, and though it's not impressively fast it's been a lifesaver at multiple meetings when I need to grab or transfer files with clients.
UPDATE 2- April 1st, 2014: I've had the DataTraveler on my keychain for over two years now.... it still works perfectly and there are absolutely no issues. I am incredibly rough with my keys (which I keep attached to my wallet and throw around constantly) and still, it keeps working. The 'average' write speeds have never been an issue for me.

STURDINESS: I thought when I ordered the Kingston DataTraveler SE9 -simply judging by the images- that it was a plastic casing, but was pleasantly surprised that it's a durable aluminum casing.

SPEED: As you can see in the video a speed test shows that the WRITE SPEED tests just under 15MB/second and the READ SPEED tests just under 20MB/second, there is nothing impressive about this speed.

Regardless of the average speed- the incredibly appealing price, sturdiness and convenience of the product (the design creates a nice built-in key-ring) makes this an impressive product and I would definitely recommend it to friends!

A review from C. Blake Davis
1818 comments|469 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
I've owned this about a month and is seems to work fine with light use.

Pros
- Small. 39mm x 12.2mm x 4.5mm There are some flash drives that are a bit thinner at about 2.5mm, but you loose the advantage of having protected contacts.
- Tough all metal case. It could survive a lot more abuse than competing flash drives that are plastic. I have no concerns with leaving it on a keychain that gets tossed around.
- large strong metal loop for keychain or lanyard, inner diameter 8.4mm
- Decent speed, but not blazing fast: Large file writes 8MB/s, reads 17MB/s
- Cost was very competitive compared to all other 16GB drives, and less than others in this small size class.
- 5 year warranty

Cons
- open end is susceptible to dust or lint accumulation, it may need to be blown out periodically with compressed air. This is the tradeoff versus having a cap that may get lost.
- Does not fit into some machines. The mechanical tolerances are such that it will not plug into some machines without using so much force that you risk damaging the port on the computer. I've never experienced this problem with any other USB drive I've owned, and I have at least 10 different models including others from Kingston. There isn't any excuse for this and it's the reason I took off two stars - I can't use it in all "Universal" Serial Bus ports. Possibly with more insertion/removal cycles it will loosen up, but it should work fine right out of the box.

Bottom Line - if it fits the computers you need to use it with and high speed isn't a concern, it's a great little flash drive at a good price. But, if you need a drive that must work in any random computer you encounter such as at the library, this may not be the best choice.
review image
1818 comments|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 7, 2013
I've purchased two of these - a 16GB and a 32GB version. Both looked great and performed great. One the first one - after about three months - I went to insert it to find the actual memory chip had fallen out of the metal casing. I had important data on there and it was gone forever (and some of it was sensitive). I changed things on my PC to ensure security and restored my data that I had from a backup onto another USB drive.

Bought another one (this time a 32GB), and within a few months, the same thing happened. This time I snapped a picture. I cannot believe this passed quality testing. Do they just glue these chips into the case? That's pretty lame and insecure. If you buy one of these, buy some kind of cap so you don't lose the ship inside (along with your data). The speed was good and the looks were great. The actual build quality - highly lame. Sigh. Never again - have changed to a metal USB drive with a security cap t prevent something like this from happening again.
review image
33 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Brian,
I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support. We apologize for the issue experienced with the DTSE9H flash drives. We stand by our products and can replace them for you under their warranty. Please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.
on February 8, 2012
Since this is a relatively new product and there is a HUGE number of potential flash drives out there, I thought I'd review this little guy.

I wanted something small, but sturdy. High capacity, yet inexpensive. Robust, yet stylish enough to go on a keychain.

I've been through a lot of flash drives through the years, from the Kingmax gumstick-sized ones to larger, more robust models. All had some flaw: too small, breakable (the Kingmax, and most very small drives), too big to fit next to other USB plugs. I even tried out the LaCie ImAKey models because they looked robust. Instead, they were bulky and had bad sectors after less than a year of use.

I'll have to come back and review this drive for longevity after I've carried it around in my pocket and used it a whole bunch, but for now, this seems like the PERFECT combination of all I've ever desired in a flash drive since they were invented.

No, seriously. The unibody construction is solid, but the drive is incredibly lightweight. It even looks elegant inserted into my MacBook Pro. The key loop is solid and no intrusive on my keychain. The price was right, and the read/write speeds were reasonably fast.
1616 comments|209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2012
I recently acquired a Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 and a Verbatim Store 'n' Go 8 GB Micro USB Flash Drive Plus 97766, Black. Both drives are small, can fit onto a keychain, and easily plug into a computer.

Most flash drives nowadays are small, inexpensive, and come with a reasonable amount of memory. The advantage of the Kingston DataTraveler and Verbatim Store is that they are VERY small. I wanted something that can easily fit onto a keychain so that no matter where I go, I have access to it.

The Differences
----------------------------

(1) The packaging that the Verbatim came in fit tight to the drive, thus making it difficult to remove. It was a challenge to cut around the plastic without cutting the drive itself. The Kingston's packaging had more space around it and was much easier to open.

(2) The Kingston has an open-ended plug, which is a little risky if water or some other substance should get inside. Whereas the Verbatim has a rubber strip that seals off the opening. This makes the Verbatim more resistant to contamination.

(3) The Verbatim is 0.3 oz / The Kingston is 0.15 oz plus smaller in size (see the visual comparison photo I uploaded in the gallery).

(4) The Kingston has a sturdy metal casing. It feels solid, doesn't bend, and won't break off of a keychain. The Verbatim casing is plastic, flimsy. It bends--worrying me that someday it'll snap--and the ring that fits around the keychain is very thin.

(5) The Verbatim comes with a limited lifetime warranty, whereas the Kingston comes with a five-year guaranteed warranty.

(6) At the time of this review, the Verbatim is $9.99 for 8GB and $15.26 for 16GB. The Kingston is $5.95 for 8GB and $11.05 for 16GB.

I don't think you can go wrong with either drive, but both clearly have some significant differences. The Kingston is sturdy, lighter, and less expensive. Whereas the Verbatim is flimsy--but water resistant--and has a lifetime warranty. I, personally, think the Kingston has more going for it than the Verbatim--if only for the difference in cost.
review image
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
Definitely one of the more attractive usb key/pen drives available. It's never wider than the usb port itself, so it makes it a great key chain so your data is always available. Unfortunately, though, it will end up screwing you in the end.

I personally got lucky when my drive 'failed'. I was sitting at home watching tv when I saw a little black piece of plastic on my hoodie. I had no idea what it was, but there was four copper lines that looked a lot like a usb connector. I was proven correct when I put it in a usb port on my laptop and held it flat to make sure the connections were solid -- This piece of plastic (made by Toshiba) was actually my usb drive and had fallen out of the aluminum enclosure. While the drive was awesome for the few months I had it, the fact that normal use could have your data literally fall out is a complete deal breaker.

Unless you want a drive whose enclosure will lose grip the data 'chip' itself to probably get lost (it's only about 1x11x25mm) I suggest you find a pen drive that will stay in its enclosure.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2012
Kept it on my key-ring loaded with important data. Tried to use it one day and found the insides had fallen out. Only had it a month or so, and only used it 5 or 6 times. What a waste.
66 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2012
It was attached to my keychain, which doesn't get particularly heavy usage, and after a month of use I went to put it into my computer and noticed that the USB portion of the drive (e.g., what's inside the metal shell) had fallen out. Fortunately there was nothing on there that I hadn't backed up, but I was quite irritated that it lasted just long enough that the refund window closed and then broke. Not a big fan.
55 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
It stores at 31+GB per my computer. That is close enough. I lost my previous flash drive and was in need of an upgrade anyways. I was glad I purchased this.

As for the design, I love how small this is. Tech needs to keep shrinking. I also love that it is one solid piece of metal (for the exterior). There are no seems or burrs.

What lacks is a dust cover, however. I decided to use a mini clip (like you'd find holding a stack of papers. It works perfectly and I have it attached to my key ring. I'll try to upload a picture to explain.
review image review image